wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages<12345>»
Disruptive technologies and innovation
jonna
#41 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 10:35:59 PM

This one is not really a disruptive technology but boy oh boy have I ushered in 2013 with a bang!!!!!!!

http://www.echoautomotive.com/

01/08/2013 $0.75

01/28/2013 $2.12

Life is beautiful!!!!
Energy.
hisah
#42 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:35:04 AM

jonna wrote:
This one is not really a disruptive technology but boy oh boy have I ushered in 2013 with a bang!!!!!!!

01/08/2013 $0.75

01/28/2013 $2.12

Life is beautiful!!!!

Advanced hybrid powertrains for commercial trucks - fuel cell power etc. I need to look into this smile
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
jonna
#43 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:07:48 AM

hisah wrote:
jonna wrote:

01/08/2013 $0.75

01/28/2013 $2.12

Life is beautiful!!!!

Advanced hybrid powertrains for commercial trucks - fuel cell power etc. I need to look into this smile

Just be careful with this company. Am about to bail out.
Energy.
jonna
#44 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:40:31 AM

Norwegians trap sunlight with microbeads, produce solar cells that are 20 times thinner, cheaper

Researchers from the University of Oslo have used a bunch of “wonderful tricks” to produce silicon solar cells that are twenty times thinner than commercial solar cells. This breakthrough means that solar cells can be produced using 95% less silicon, reducing production costs considerably — both increasing profits (which are almost nonexistent at the moment), and reducing the cost of solar power installations.

Standard, commercial photovoltaic solar cells are fashioned out of 200-micrometer-thick (0.2mm) wafers of silicon, which are sliced from a large block of silicon. This equates to around five grams of silicon per watt of solar power, and also a lot of wastage — roughly half of the silicon block is turned into sawdust by the slicing process. With solar cells approaching 50 cents per watt (down from a few dollars per watt a few years ago), something needs to change.

http://www.extremetech.c...20-times-thinner-cheaper
Energy.
jonna
#45 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:42:55 AM

Egg-cellent World-record Battery Performance

SLAC and Stanford scientists have set a world record for energy storage, using a clever “yolk-shell” design to store five times more energy in the sulfur cathode of a rechargeable lithium-ion battery than is possible with today’s commercial technology. The cathode also maintained a high level of performance after 1,000 charge/discharge cycles, paving the way for new generations of lighter, longer-lasting batteries for use in portable electronics and electric vehicles.

The research was led by Yi Cui, a Stanford associate professor of materials science and engineering and a member of the Stanford Institute for Materials and Energy Sciences, a SLAC/Stanford joint institute. The team reported its results Jan. 8 in Nature Communications.

Lithium-ion batteries work by moving lithium ions back and forth between two electrodes, the cathode and anode. Charging the battery forces the ions and electrons into the anode, creating an electrical potential that can power a wide range of devices. Discharging the battery – using it to do work – moves the ions and electrons to the cathode.

https://www6.slac.stanfo...3-01-08-sulfer-yolk.aspx
Energy.
smallfama
#46 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:16:50 AM

And for those complaining about battery life, the future may hold answers here
ChessMaster
#47 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 11:42:36 PM

@smallfama and jonna - you just brought possible solutions to problems we were discussing with smartphones,batteries.I can't remember the name of the Chinese billionaire but he's making money from making batteries from selling phone batteries.

Anyone informed on solar. I want to know why they are having problems converting solar into energy.This is one of the most important technologies of our times.
Uncertainty is certain.Let go
Impunity
#48 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 1:11:19 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
@smallfama and jonna - you just brought possible solutions to problems we were discussing with smartphones,batteries.I can't remember the name of the Chinese billionaire but he's making money from making batteries from selling phone batteries.

Anyone informed on solar. I want to know why they are having problems converting solar into energy.This is one of the most important technologies of our times.

Ni kizungu ama ni mimi?
d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

ChessMaster
#49 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 1:23:46 PM

Impunity wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

Ni kizungu ama ni mimi?
d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Haha...think about it
ChessMaster
#50 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 9:16:08 PM

Turning computer heat into energy
josiah33
#51 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:20:20 PM

QUITE INTERESTING.
ChessMaster
#52 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:33:35 PM

josiah33 wrote:

QUITE INTERESTING.

I'm glad.The potential is ridiculous. Recycling energy.They are still working on better metal alloys that can convert heat into electricty.Now imagine all those things in our lives that can be changed with such metals.
jonna
#53 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 7:42:44 AM

ChessMaster wrote:

The batteries are there from different companies. Will post them over the week end. One of the companies is super huge. When it comes to solar, am not aware of any problems. In fact, dudes like Warren Buffet are putting theor money on solar projects up to 2018.
Energy.
ChessMaster
#54 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 7:58:54 PM

jonna wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

The batteries are there from different companies. Will post them over the week end. One of the companies is super huge. When it comes to solar, am not aware of any problems. In fact, dudes like Warren Buffet are putting theor money on solar projects up to 2018.

True.Solar is a gold mine waiting to be tapped.
hisah
#55 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 7:07:56 AM

Data pool rivals number of stars says IBM - http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/ae3gdcz/-/index.html

Think cloud computing and mass storage; see the money...
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
jonna
#56 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 7:49:43 AM

ChessMaster wrote:
jonna wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

http://www.a123systems.c...ergy-storage-systems.htm
Energy.
jonna
#57 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 8:21:26 AM

jonna wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:
jonna wrote:
[quote=ChessMaster]@smallfama and jonna - you just brought possible solutions to problems we were discussing with smartphones,batteries.I can't remember the name of the Chinese billionaire but he's making money from making batteries from selling phone batteries.

http://www.a123systems.c...rgy-storage-systems.htm[/quote]

http://www.natcoresolar.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Warren Buffett's utility company is making a big buy in the turmoil-filled solar energy market.

MidAmerican Energy Holdings, a holding company controlled by Berkshire Hathaway (BRKA, Fortune 500), has agreed to buy the $2 billion Topaz Solar Farm project from First Solar.

http://money.cnn.com/201...tt_first_solar/index.htm
Energy.
hisah
#58 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:12:03 PM

Solarwindow and now we have window farms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDIZaK9GmI

Also something interesting about driverless cars - http://www.businessinsid...car-intersection-2013-2

Towards the end of the article they also discuss window farms.
ChessMaster
#59 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:45:06 AM

@jonna - I like natcoresolar. Efficieny in solar is what's driving its growth. I like this:The total solar energy absorbed by Earth's atmosphere, oceans and land masses is approximately 3,850,000 exajoules (EJ) per year. In 2002, this was more energy in one hour than the world used in one year.

@hisah - I like that.Its going to play well with the buy local movement.

@all - Anyone with development in recycling technology.Thats another boom in the making.
ChessMaster
#60 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:09:02 AM