wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
CLASS 101: Deciphering Financial Statements.
maka
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:47:02 PM

maka wrote:
maka wrote:
Nabwire wrote:
Just take a basics class in Financial Accounting, some things are really hard to teach, moreso online.

not really the problem is you have to take all the other units...what we can do is start with the basics of accounting put them in this one thread then even in future a newbie can just read through get from baby steps to a full grown adult who can decipher the various ratios,make industry comparison,know how to relate the economy's performance and the stock market etc...It can be done...

Later today we will start our class...we can do this.

"Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune."
Jim Rohn
possunt quia posse videntur
Angelica _ann
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:57:21 PM

maka wrote:
maka wrote:
maka wrote:
maka wrote:
Just take a basics class in Financial Accounting, some things are really hard to teach, moreso online.

not really the problem is you have to take all the other units...what we can do is start with the basics of accounting put them in this one thread then even in future a newbie can just read through get from baby steps to a full grown adult who can decipher the various ratios,make industry comparison,know how to relate the economy's performance and the stock market etc...It can be done...

"Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune."
Jim Rohn

kwani you are talking to yourself?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
maka
#23 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:11:22 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
maka wrote:
maka wrote:
maka wrote:
maka wrote:

Jim Rohn

kwani you are talking to yourself?

yes...happy now?
possunt quia posse videntur
Nabwire
#24 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:38:45 PM

OK Maka
symbols
#25 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:57:26 PM

@Maka I am with you on this one.I have a vision for wazua and one of them is a free ebook for financial education from a Kenyan perspective.Mwalimu Marty,Young and others have opened the door.You have my full support and now I can get back to what I also started.
Nabwire
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:21:23 PM

http://www.engadget.com/...a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

https://www.coursera.org/#course/accounting

http://wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=22036

You can start here, some of the classes are structured like a 16 week semester, I could offer to take a Financial Accounting class with you to walk you through it but not until mid May.
new
#27 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:44:42 PM

Nabwire wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/20/mit-to-launch-mitx-learning-platform-offer-free-teaching-materi/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

https://www.coursera.org/#course/accounting

http://wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=22036

You can start here, some of the classes are structured like a 16 week semester, I could offer to take a Financial Accounting class with you to walk you through it but not until mid May.

Hello All,
very interesting Debate going on here.

If I may, i wish to contribute to it,

finance and economics courses at coursera

I believe an understanding of the fundamentals of economics is necessary. So is understanding the basics of game theory, model Analysis and to some degree, Financial Engineering, calculus and statistics.

Khan academy is also Good and easy to comprehend, https://www.khanacademy.org/science/core-finance

Moneyweek, is great, http://www.youtube.com/user/MoneyWeekVideos

Good Books
Accounting for non Accounting students and Managers by John R. Dyson,

McGraw Hill , Introduction to Financial Accounting http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/textbooks/thomas/

Corporate Finance , Ivo Welch. available for free online as a read-only, http://book.ivo-welch.info/ed2/

Financial Reporting & Analysis: Using Financial Accounting Information , Charles H. Gibson available as paper back or as an ebook

Online fora and good sources of information
Wall street journal
zero hedge
yahoo finance
And of course, wazua.

We could learn together!!
Dum vivimus, vivamus.
Rollout
#28 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 12:58:14 AM

maka wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
@Marty is doing a commendable job enlightening readers on The Power of Financial Education thread.
Can the Wazua Financial Gurus give tips on interpreting the financial statements? Understanding Co. values? Screening out 'cooking' and exaggerated 'future outlooks' etc
FACT: Most people just read the PAT and Dividend part.

...you must start from the basics what the different kinds of ststements are;what is found in them,how the figures there are derived...the CFA level 1 Schwarzer workbook on Financial Reporting and Analysis is really good and it starts from the basics...ukipata shida post swali hapa kuna wale wanoma...smile

I spent a better part of my late teen and early 20 educating myself, my thinking was, if I go to school and master my stuff, I will be able to stay ahead. I went to B-sch smash most of my classes studying finance and economic before I landed in a grad school to study more advance finance classes along side the CFA, by the time I got out of school I thought I was going to take over the world with my finance knowledge.

My expectation about real world careers have actually change alot after 7 yrs of working. First during my internship we were ask to create some DCF models which we did but non of us could explain anything about it apart from, positive cash flow or negative cash flow. When I graduated, I was hired by a financial institution's sales and trading team and I was ready to use all my financial knowledge to select the best securities, Wrong!

Honestly, spending time looking at or learning finance or looking at finacial statement is a waste of time. I remember when I was in sales and trading, there was this guy at J P morgan by the name John Rex, Mr Rex was the top analyst in healthcare field meaning all you have to do is watch what John say and you'll be good if you are trading healthcare stocks. Full stop. You can spend hours and hours going through the statemants but what Mr Rex said matter more than what you'll find in the statement, also, remember, every company somehow manage their earning one way or the other and you're not going to get anything material by looking at the statement because anything material will be annouced by the company.

Instead of wasting your time learning all the stuff in finance and financial statements, you'll be better served if you spend time learning the industry your are interested in. If you are interested in biotechnology industry or consumer goods or telecommunication, learn the industry dynamics and drivers and be an expert in it, you're not going to be the top analyst by reading the statements or calculation NPV and IRR, infact no one want you to be an expert in finacial statement unless your making a living as an auditor to be successful in investment or to build a good corporate career being an expert in soft skills which include understanding the dynamics of the industry you are in is very important.

Drunkard 10k Rollout.

hisah
#29 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 6:43:25 AM

@rollout Applause

I can see you too have walked barefoot on the long stony path on very hot days.

Market manipulation and insider information (owners buying & selling behaviour) are more accurate than fin statements!

One @obiero is clearly demonstrating this with info from some eXchange cocktail bar.

At the big global exchanges fundies et al that is taught in fin classes earns very little. Then when u come across HFT (high frequency trading) and profits by the seconds with super machines you throw away the education! Markets are rigged for classroom education only as your survival guide. E.g. CMA recently comes out and say Kengen will have a rights issue without Kengen announcing it?! The price dips from 14 to 10. Now trading at 15s with Kengen still mum about the rights issue. Centum refuse to announce a profit warning and CMA slaps them with a petty fine. Globally this past Tues a Fed employee 'accidentally' leaks (insider tip) FOMC minutes a day prior to their release to a group of banks. That action puts the rest not privy to the leak at a disadvantage. GFC crisis cause is now public. Just petty fines on global banks for criminal offences. And many more cases out there.

I'm sure some of you have bought or sold shares based on info from a buddy or relative that works in a listed firm. That's insider trading...

Until market regulators completely wipe out insider trading & market manipulation, you must learn about this for survival.

In short learn how to profit from these bad habits since the regulator 'pretends' to have no control anyway. And dont' forget, never fight the CB (central bank) until international mothers & father (IMF/world bank) gives the signal.

#Fromtheschoolofhardknocks
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
sparkly
#30 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 7:05:26 AM

Assets=Capital+Liabilities

The balance sheet formula. Look for a company with lots of assets but also lots of capital.

Profit=Income-Expenses

The profit and loss formula. Look for a company making a profit.

Those are the fundamentals, we can proceed from here.
Life is short. Live passionately.
hisah
#31 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 7:15:32 AM

Best tip ever. The reality about markets by Jim Cramer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdqGS0RWlcw

I'm putting this here so that those learning about financial fundamentals are aware of what they face in the real world. Going to wars without any intelligence on your adversary is suicidal business!
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
Nabwire
#32 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 9:19:33 AM

The guy just asked for basic knowledge of how to read financial statements, and you guys are telling him its not important? Its very important to know the basics, the more advanced stuff is what you can go without, but you have to know how to tell if a company made a profit or loss, what kind of assets & liabilities they have, their cash positions, their cashflows, their future outlook. That stuff is important
Sufficiently Philanga....thropic
#33 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 10:30:08 AM

I agree with @Nabwire. Financial masomo is important. He can also check out for "the black book"....well that's what we used to call the book back in the day, titled Investments 6th edition by William F. Sharpe, Gordon J. Alexander and Jeffery V. Bailey.
Then he can proceed to @Hisah's school of hardknockssmile
@SufficientlyP
Rollout
#34 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 5:21:13 PM

Nabwire wrote:
The guy just asked for basic knowledge of how to read financial statements, and you guys are telling him its not important? Its very important to know the basics, the more advanced stuff is what you can go without, but you have to know how to tell if a company made a profit or loss, what kind of assets & liabilities they have, their cash positions, their cashflows, their future outlook. That stuff is important

@Nabwire even mama mboga knows the difference from profit and loss, and they can find that without any formal education.

Asset, liabilities, cashflows and future outlooks are very complex to say the least, so those cannot be categorized as basics. Unless you want to be an accountant,don't waste your time learning finance/ accounting.
jerry
#35 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 5:49:12 PM

@Rollout. Are you saying it's impossible to conduct an online class of accounts?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Rollout
#36 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 6:12:42 PM

jerry wrote:
@Rollout. Are you saying it's impossible to conduct an online class of accounts?

Huh?
the deal
#37 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 7:20:40 PM

@Pesanane what do you want to know? how to value a company? i.e airline...OMC...Bank etc...Forecast profits? etc
Pesa Nane
#38 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 8:16:12 PM

the deal wrote:
@Pesanane what do you want to know? how to value a company? i.e airline...OMC...Bank etc...Forecast profits? etc

@Deal this would be a perfect beginning point.
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
the deal
#39 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 9:04:09 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
the deal wrote:

@Deal this would be a perfect beginning point.

Part 1

I would buy into a company if its:-

1. Trading on a single digit trailing/forward Price to Earnings (PE) Ratio.

Trailing PE is calculated as Current Market Price/current Earnings Per Share (EPS) where as Forward PE is calculated as Current market price/estimated EPS

2. Trading Below or slightly above its book value.

Book Value calculated as Total Assets-Total Liabilities. After calculating Book Value compare it to a companies market capitalization actually just divide market cap/book value...if the figure is below 1 then the company is trading below its book value an indicator that the stock could be undervalued...its wise to compare the figure you get to a firms peers.

Homework.

1. Calculate Kenya Re's current trailing PE and forward PE if we assume that Kenya Re's FY 2012 EPS will rise by 15%

2. Calculate Kenya Re's Book Value? Whats is its market cap/book value ratio?

3. What are your conclusions?

After this we then move to part 2.
Pesa Nane
#40 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 10:46:04 PM

the deal wrote:

Part 1

I would buy into a company if its:-

1. Trading on a single digit trailing/forward Price to Earnings (PE) Ratio.

Trailing PE is calculated as Current Market Price/current Earnings Per Share (EPS) where as Forward PE is calculated as Current market price/estimated EPS

2. Trading Below or slightly above its book value.

Book Value calculated as Total Assets-Total Liabilities. After calculating Book Value compare it to a companies market capitalization actually just divide Book value/market cap...if the figure is below 1 then the company is trading below its book value an indicator that the stock could be undervalued...its wise to compare the figure you get to a firms peers.

Homework.

1. Calculate Kenya Re's current trailing PE (5.2978) and forward PE if we assume that Kenya Re's FY 2012 EPS will rise by 15% (4.6068)

2. Calculate Kenya Re's Book Value? ( 12,926,788,000.00) Whats is its book value/market cap ratio? (1.48)

3. What are your conclusions?
a. Trading slightly above book value
b. If PE are to be maintained, we are looking at a TP of 19.40

After this we then move to part 2.

@Deal you've killed me, Homework!? Thats original, but people gotta learn. Thumbs up.

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.