wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<1234>»
Best Trees for a Tree Forest?
Pesa Nane
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 1:22:44 PM

Njung'e wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
some guy was talking about a soft wood called 'mufariti' (hope i got name correctly). Any one with any info on it? maturity period, disease-free, usages...

@Mbeca Inyanya,
"Mubariti" is your every day 'Mukima".Just another name but not to confuse you more,it's plain Grevillea (Robusta)

@Guka, you had me wondering there! Ati mbeca inyanya??!
Where do we get like a 1,000 treelings?
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Iganamagana
#22 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 6:26:17 PM

nostoppingthis wrote:
cmk wrote:
blue gum would be best in that area.. though in maragwa you are better off planting bananas and mangoes..ten years' worth of bananas and mangoes will be more than what you can get from the trees.

I thought this is illegal to grow...

I thought Blue gum was only illegal at the river frontage. Not sure whether it's 7 meters or 12 meters for select varieties. Ignorant Chiefs advocate for a total ban. Ask NEMA to clarify.
Mubariti is useless as far as timber is concerned but ideal for firewood. There is ready market in tea factories.
Information on Bamboo is all over the internet.
Find time and visit KARI High-level, Aberdere farm near Kabati or even Kakuzi. I am sure you will get professional advice there. Do not play karata with your investment.
Pesa Nane
#23 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:58:16 PM

Iganamagana wrote:
nostoppingthis wrote:
cmk wrote:
blue gum would be best in that area.. though in maragwa you are better off planting bananas and mangoes..ten years' worth of bananas and mangoes will be more than what you can get from the trees.

I thought this is illegal to grow...

I thought Blue gum was only illegal at the river frontage. Not sure whether it's 7 meters or 12 meters for select varieties. Ignorant Chiefs advocate for a total ban. Ask NEMA to clarify.
Mubariti is useless as far as timber is concerned but ideal for firewood. There is ready market in tea factories.
Information on Bamboo is all over the internet.
Find time and visit KARI High-level, Aberdere farm near Kabati or even Kakuzi. I am sure you will get professional advice there. Do not play karata with your investment.

@Iganamagana, Noted and thanks. For karata I prefer going to Las Vegas smile smile
PKoli
#24 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 9:57:28 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Any idea where tree seedling / treelings can be gotten?

Kenya Forest Service Muthaiga. They sell cloned eucalyptus at around 7 bob.

The clonal eucalyptus goes for 20 bob NOT 7 bob my friend. They are found at Tree Biotechnology
jerry
#25 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 10:13:07 PM

PKoli wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

The clonal eucalyptus goes for 20 bob NOT 7 bob my friend. They are found at Tree Biotechnology

@pkoli. You can buy seeds from KEFRI-Muguga and make ur own nursery. Alternatively:ask any KTDA factory to do it for u and they will sell to you at cost!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Lolest!
#26 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 11:43:22 PM

PKoli wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

the 20 bob one should be the dry area type. The wet area type is 7 bob
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Pesa Nane
#27 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:38:58 PM

Lolest! wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

What size (age / length) are these?
PKoli
#28 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 10:01:40 PM

Lolest! wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

The price is the same for all clonals. I was buying for a wet area and they were 20 each
PKoli
#29 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 10:03:34 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

What size (age / length) are these?

You will get them at below 1 ft, I guess they are about a month old or so. during rains you have to book by paying money upfront.
Pesa Nane
#30 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:27:57 PM

Thank you all for all the ideas, advice. We visited Kenya Forestry Muthaiga, they referred us to Kenya Forestry Muranga who advised us to push forward the tree planting project to April (Long rains). We anyhow planted a 100 or so as a team-building effort.
accelriskconsult
#31 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:39:30 AM

8 pence let us keep in touch.

I planted some 250 of mubariti (grevillea robusta) in Kitui towards the end of the rain season and they are all doing well. The trees were expensive @ 100 bob each but they were all over 1 metre tall. I used a chemical that marketers call absorber - an hygroscopic compound) that absorbs water during the rain season and releases it to the soil during the dry season. I also used a fertilizer called earth black. The seedlings received very little rainfall and I think the compound made all the difference.

I plan to plant blue gum in 2 acres and fill 2 acres with mukima. I reckon that mukima can not only produce firewood but also fencing posts.
Magigi
#32 Posted : Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:08:46 AM

accelriskconsult wrote:
8 pence let us keep in touch.

I planted some 250 of mubariti (grevillea robusta) in Kitui towards the end of the rain season and they are all doing well. The trees were expensive @ 100 bob each but they were all over 1 metre tall. I used a chemical that marketers call absorber - an hygroscopic compound) that absorbs water during the rain season and releases it to the soil during the dry season. I also used a fertilizer called earth black. The seedlings received very little rainfall and I think the compound made all the difference.

I plan to plant blue gum in 2 acres and fill 2 acres with mukima. I reckon that mukima can not only produce firewood but also fencing posts.

@accelriskconsult, @cmk...What do we call Mukau in Kikamba?
Magigi
#33 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:56:52 PM

Magigi wrote:
[quote=accelriskconsult]8 pence let us keep in touch.

What is the spacing requirements fro eucalyptus tress?
Blackberry
#34 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:47:21 AM

Njung'e wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
some guy was talking about a soft wood called 'mufariti' (hope i got name correctly). Any one with any info on it? maturity period, disease-free, usages...

@Mbeca Inyanya,
"Mubariti" is your every day 'Mukima".Just another name but not to confuse you more,it's plain Grevillea (Robusta)

@Wabujoti, u didn't say anything about "usages"

Opinion is free, truth is sacred.

Sansa
#35 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:29:13 PM

What happened to the people who were inquiring about bamboo? Did you plant? Progress?
mawinder
#36 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:26:23 AM

Magigi wrote:
Magigi wrote:
[quote=accelriskconsult]8 pence let us keep in touch.

What is the spacing requirements fro eucalyptus tress?

2.5mx2.5m for timber,power poles etc and for building poles 2mx2m
Lolest!
#37 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:28:30 AM

PKoli wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
PKoli wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

The price is the same for all clonals. I was buying for a wet area and they were 20 each

It depends on type, I guess

I bought at 12bob recently. I know people who bought at 10 and 7 earlier on
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Dirty_impreza
#38 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:01:37 PM

first and foremost blue gum is not illegal...you only need a 60m riparian reserve if your near a river for specific sub species.
secondly there are various varieties of the blue gum... its advisable to do soil samples at Kefri and they'll advice on the appropriate variety you should plant. seedling are sold at about 2500 ksh per bag but u'll need to germinate them....if you're in an hurry to plant,you can buy from the nearest KFS station, they have CFA's which grow certified seeds at approx 10-20ksh. What to expect after planting is a serious fight with the mites/ants which are hell bent on destroying the plants.... so far i have 10 acres of eucalyptus "salygna" and an equivalent of Mukima
murchr
#39 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 9:48:39 PM

Elder wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
specky wrote:
I hear that bamboo tree is the in thing.......just check it out and let us know your findings...good luck

I've heard that as well but am not able to get first hand info. Anyone???

doing research on this too. I read somewhere in the net that some guy is growing seedlings in Kajiado. Looking forward to visiting him. The uses for Bamboo are many and varied but info is scarce in Kenya.

Also researching on this. Called the Kajiado guy (Kitili Farm) but had issues in communication so intend to go to the farm and check it out.

Some info:
Organic Farmer Magazine - Bamboo in Kenya
Kefri on Bamboo
Hortinews on Bamboo
PDF Bamboo resources

After research, did you follow it with action? How is the going? I want to get into this. Is there a ready market? With so much real estate going on, is there anyone processing bamboo to usable items?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
TUPAC
#40 Posted : Friday, September 01, 2017 11:50:13 PM

murchr wrote:
Elder wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
specky wrote:
I hear that bamboo tree is the in thing.......just check it out and let us know your findings...good luck

I've heard that as well but am not able to get first hand info. Anyone???

doing research on this too. I read somewhere in the net that some guy is growing seedlings in Kajiado. Looking forward to visiting him. The uses for Bamboo are many and varied but info is scarce in Kenya.

Also researching on this. Called the Kajiado guy (Kitili Farm) but had issues in communication so intend to go to the farm and check it out.

Some info:
Organic Farmer Magazine - Bamboo in Kenya
Kefri on Bamboo
Hortinews on Bamboo
PDF Bamboo resources

After research, did you follow it with action? How is the going? I want to get into this. Is there a ready market? With so much real estate going on, is there anyone processing bamboo to usable items?

Anyone with info on Bamboo farming?
...things fall apart...the centre cannot hold..mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...w b yeats