wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Safaricom, Equity Bank Ethiopian Connection
dunkang
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:19:16 PM

Wisemen/women of wazua, whats cooking here?
http://www.nation.co.ke/...8/-/736shiz/-/index.html
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

murchr
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:50:34 PM

dunkang wrote:
http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/736shiz/-/index.html

Without reading the article...let me take a guess, the huge population of 90M is Drool most of which is graduating to middle income level. Ethiopia has been closed for a while it will be good for KE firms to capitalize on this
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:01:37 PM

This caught my eye "The Premier also visited Safaricom where he held talks with the company’s chairman and management, requesting them to establish partnerships with Ethiopia’s ICT sector." mmmhhh
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
dunkang
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:55:09 PM

Quote:
Ethiopian PM seeks Safaricom expertise on
M-Pesa service
Thursday 22 November 2012 | 12:28 CET | News
Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn has
visited the offices of Kenyan mobile operator Safaricom
and held talks with senior management over the
possibility of extending its M-Pesa money money
transfer service to his country. Desalegn said Ethiopia is
looking to countries such as Kenya, Brazil and Pakistan as it seeks to develop its mobile telephony market and reap the benefits of mobile technology. With an estimated population of 91 million people, Ethiopia is Africa's second largest nation and is seen as the next frontier for mobile phone-led financial deepening. The PM said he would like to learn and see greater partnerships between Safaricom and Ethiopia

http://www.telecompaper....-m-pesa-service--909770

hisah
#5 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 6:29:04 AM

murchr wrote:
This caught my eye "The Premier also visited Safaricom where he held talks with the company’s chairman and management, requesting them to establish partnerships with Ethiopia’s ICT sector." mmmhhh

Yep. A new PM flies into a firm's boardroom... Something has already cooked, the meal is coming soon!
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
hisah
#6 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 6:31:19 AM

murchr wrote:

Yep. A new PM flies into a firm's boardroom... Something has already cooked, the meal is coming soon!
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
Liv
#7 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 11:54:47 AM

hisah wrote:
murchr wrote:

I guess this is more for Vodacom.... they will not allow Kenyans to benefit from Ethiopia entry though Safaricom directly...unless the PM has strictly stated so.
murchr
#8 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 12:04:29 PM

Liv wrote:
hisah wrote:
murchr wrote:

I guess this is more for Vodacom.... they will not allow Kenyans to benefit from Ethiopia entry though Safaricom directly...unless the PM has strictly stated so.

Is there a Vodacom in Ethiopia?
McReggae
#9 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 12:39:22 PM

He also visited brookside dairy!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
madollar
#10 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 12:41:40 PM

murchr wrote:
dunkang wrote:
http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/736shiz/-/index.html

Without reading the article...let me take a guess, the huge population of 90M is Drool most of which is graduating to middle income level. Ethiopia has been closed for a while it will be good for KE firms to capitalize on this

he was all smiles at brookside dairies when he was being presented a freshian cow and hoped the company would set up a factory by next year .vimal shah of bidco looked anxious .The kenyan companies that will be able to crack the ethiopian market EH! 90 million people
Liv
#11 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 12:50:50 PM

murchr wrote:
Liv wrote:
hisah wrote:
murchr wrote:

There is neither vodacom nor safaricom.... but the UK company would prefer to enter Ethiopia as Vodacom and not as Safaricom.... the same way they are in Tz and other countries.

Are aware that though MPESA was originally conceptualised and done from Kenya in Safaricom... it is now owned by Vodacom and has been rolled out to other countries? and safricom pays vodacom for its use?

Same philosophy.... in Ethiopia ....I guess.
hisah
#12 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 2:23:45 PM

Liv wrote:
murchr wrote:
Liv wrote:
hisah wrote:
murchr wrote:

There is neither vodacom nor safaricom.... but the UK company would prefer to enter Ethiopia as Vodacom and not as Safaricom.... the same way they are in Tz and other countries.

Are aware that though MPESA was originally conceptualised and done from Kenya in Safaricom... it is now owned by Vodacom and has been rolled out to other countries? and safricom pays vodacom for its use?

Correction to the Vodacom references. This should be Vodafone.
Update - That is Vodafone owns Mpesa. Btw how come in KE Safaricom has stuck. Should be Vodacom KE. But that brand swap would be tricky to implement knowing the peculiar behaviour of KE people. Is this why Kencell, Celtel, Zain and now Airtel has it tough trying to stick in...

Liv
#13 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 3:35:33 PM

hisah wrote:

Correction to the Vodacom references. This should be Vodafone.
Update - That is Vodafone owns Mpesa. Btw how come in KE Safaricom has stuck. Should be Vodacom KE. But that brand swap would be tricky to implement knowing the peculiar behaviour of KE people. Is this why Kencell, Celtel, Zain and now Airtel has it tough trying to stick in...
[/color]

@Hisa, Thanks for the correction. Wherever I travel out of Kenya... I normally see vodacom and I thought this is name of the parent company in UK. What is the relationship between Vodacom and Vodafone?
dunkang
#14 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 3:42:03 PM

VODAFONE is the parent company based in England and owns parts of this vodacom through shareholding just as in Safaricom (it owns 35%).

The name VODA comes from VOice and DAta.

Mucene
#15 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 4:03:19 PM

Liv wrote:
murchr wrote:
Liv wrote:
hisah wrote:
murchr wrote:

Fortunately for us the deal is between Ethiopia and Kenya not UK, unless he does the same with UK before the investment is done:

Visiting Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn on Thursday said his government had signed up a special status agreement with Kenya as commitment to ease trade between the two countries.

http://www.standardmedia...est-in-Ethiopia-removed

However Equity will have to wait longer

http://www.businessdaily...-/12y02cpz/-/index.html
If you don't want to go to plan B have a good plan A.
iMANI
#16 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 4:14:25 PM

dunkang wrote:
VODAFONE is the parent company based in England and owns parts of this vodacom through shareholding just as in Safaricom (it owns 35%).

The name VODA comes from VOice and DAta.

and how I thought it came from VODKA...only that the guys missed the 'K'..smile
Life and beer are very similar........chill for best results.

youcan'tstopusnow
#17 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 5:05:18 PM

Addis Ababa is devoting $1.3 billion (Sh110 billion) annually to infrastructure, which is 10 per cent of its GDP. As a share of GDP, Ethiopia’s spending on infrastructure is by far the highest on the continent.
http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/14i9le9/-/index.html
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
guru267
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:09:09 AM

youcan'tstopusnow wrote:
Addis Ababa is devoting $1.3 billion (Sh110 billion) annually to infrastructure, which is 10 per cent of its GDP. As a share of GDP, Ethiopia’s spending on infrastructure is by far the highest on the continent.
http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/14i9le9/-/index.html

Unless these guys open up their economy they are wasting time on billion dollar infrastructure projects!

Even China opened up when they realized the domestic economy cannot sustain itself!

These guys if they are not careful will end up like Cuba or North Korea Sad
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
guru267
#19 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:24:35 AM

In a country like Kenya where foreign banks have been allowed to compete freely with local banks the local banks like KCB, Equity, NIC, CO-OP have still managed to come out on top of the likes of BBK, STANCHART, CFC mainly due to product innovation, strategic pricing, strategic placement etc

The Ethiopians should actually use this as a case study to test the actual harm or good of allowing foreign banks to compete with local banks!

NB:KCB, Kenya's largest bank by asset size has an asset base double the size of Ethiopia's entire banking sector.. (shs400B vs shs200B)

Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
mzeiya411
#20 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:20:02 PM

guru267 wrote:
[quote=youcan'tstopusnow]Addis

Unless these guys open up their economy they are wasting time on billion dollar infrastructure projects!

Even China opened up when they realized the domestic economy cannot sustain itself!

These guys if they are not careful will end up like Cuba or North Korea Sad

A point of correction China's domestic market is almost the whole of EU and North America combined. If they lift enough guys to middle class status then they can shelter their economy from external economic shocks