wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
Greenpark Estate, Athi River
Swenani
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:33:14 PM

On a drizzling Tuesday morning a fortnight ago, Sherry woke up to the sight of flooding water in her three-bedroom bungalow house. That would have been normal if it were just rainwater, but this was sewage. She had forgotten to open up the manhole at the back of her house so that the sewage could run through her garden instead of running into her house, as is the norm whenever it rains. She normally opens up the manhole to prevent sewage water from the on-site treatment plant in her gated community, Green Park Estate in Athi River, from overflowing through her bathroom openings and into her house. “This is disgusting and embarrassing. I don’t think anyone who has bought a house for millions of shillings should have to go through this. It has been going on for years now. I couldn’t even invite my friends over when I first moved in. How would you explain to someone that the house you have just bought has foul smelling sewage coming through it, where your husband and your children eat and sleep?” she asks. Two of Sherry’s immediate neighbours share her agony. Their houses are at the lowest part of the development and the overflowing sewage from the on-site treatment plant finds its way into their houses when it rains. When it first happened, residents say the developer promised it wouldn’t happen again. He put up a generator that would stop the flowing of the sewage back to the homes, but for some reason, it never seems to be working whenever it rains, according to Sherry.
Read more at: http://www.standardmedia...festyle-dream-collapses
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Impunity
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:59:41 PM

Swenani wrote:
On a drizzling Tuesday morning a fortnight ago, Sherry woke up to the sight of flooding water in her three-bedroom bungalow house. That would have been normal if it were just rainwater, but this was sewage. She had forgotten to open up the manhole at the back of her house so that the sewage could run through her garden instead of running into her house, as is the norm whenever it rains. She normally opens up the manhole to prevent sewage water from the on-site treatment plant in her gated community, Green Park Estate in Athi River, from overflowing through her bathroom openings and into her house. “This is disgusting and embarrassing. I don’t think anyone who has bought a house for millions of shillings should have to go through this. It has been going on for years now. I couldn’t even invite my friends over when I first moved in. How would you explain to someone that the house you have just bought has foul smelling sewage coming through it, where your husband and your children eat and sleep?” she asks. Two of Sherry’s immediate neighbours share her agony. Their houses are at the lowest part of the development and the overflowing sewage from the on-site treatment plant finds its way into their houses when it rains. When it first happened, residents say the developer promised it wouldn’t happen again. He put up a generator that would stop the flowing of the sewage back to the homes, but for some reason, it never seems to be working whenever it rains, according to Sherry.
Read more at: http://www.standardmedia...festyle-dream-collapses

Habari ndio hio...middle class mamewezwa. See the last 20 post...

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

a4architect.com
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:03:26 PM

The greenspan architect is stationed in britain. These should be problems coming out after the developer tries to cut costs by not involving registered kenyan architects in the supervision. There are also complaints about wall crackings. The walls are made of prefab fibre cement panels.
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
KERUJAMES
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:57:27 PM

What? I can't imagine having to go through the same one day. I think I'll be extra cautious when the time for me to buy a home comes.
Do you want a FREE ticket to an upcoming business mentorship meeting? Click on this link, LIKE and leave a comment claiming your FREE TICKET.
jaggernaut
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:09:29 PM

nyuthe wrote:
In the late 70s' it is rumored that some toxic waste was dumped at a site not so far from there..herders avoided living in that area since , up until Daystar boldened up and set up somewhere nearby( amid some resistance) sasa leave alone that fresh air cases of leukemia may be on the rise a few years from now

This is a very serious allegation. Can you provide more details pls eg what was dumped, quantity etc. As a responsible citizen, have you informed the authorities......and residents?
a4architect.com
#26 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:37:56 PM

i see alot of ea portland cement fly ash waste dumped in areas around daystar and opposite daystar behind small world.
murchr
#27 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:09:28 PM

a4architect.com wrote:
The greenspan architect is stationed in britain. These should be problems coming out after the developer tries to cut costs by not involving registered kenyan architects in the supervision. There are also complaints about wall crackings. The walls are made of prefab fibre cement panels.

Just say it, the contractor was below par right? It has nothing to do with the architect
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
a4architect.com
#28 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 6:48:23 AM

@murchr..from the quality of workmanship, which is very high, the contractor executed the works perfectly. The issues coming up r usually resolved by architects eg sewerage, wall type etc.
jamplu
#29 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 8:53:10 AM

@a4architect.com how effective is the onsite sewer treatment plants for such large projects. I have been wondering how developers like Athiview in syokimau will cope with over 700 units once they complete their project!
a4architect.com
#30 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 12:57:51 PM

@jamplu, they are quite effective if well done. A number of estates are currently using them eg Tamarind estate syokimau and i havent heard any complaints.
I once had a discussion with the Greenspan owner a few years ago and told him that using an architect based in Britain to effect a Kenyan project will have issues.
murchr
#31 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 3:16:57 PM

a4architect.com wrote:
@murchr..from the quality of workmanship, which is very high, the contractor executed the works perfectly. The issues coming up r usually resolved by architects eg sewerage, wall type etc.

So now even waste management is the work of the architect? So we should be blaming the architects in Nrb for the mess that is the sewerline? I always thot the work of the contractor is to assemble material and coordinate the workmanship of the project. So where do the contractors responsibility start and stop?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
a4architect.com
#32 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 3:39:56 PM

@murchr, check the architects and quantity surveoyrs act of kenya here

http://www.boraqs.or.ke/userfiles/CAP%20525.pdf

check page 31

Quote:
providing small-scale drawings
showing the main lines of drainage and
other services as executed and giving initial
guidance on maintenance.

During the design, the architect provides drawings showing the general drainage.

The architect then works to finer detail in conjuction with the mechanical engineer of building services to refine these for the internal drainage.

The architect similarly works with the civil engineer to refine the drainage from the exit of the house till the sewerage/septic tank.

From the above, the architect makes the developer aware of services offered by mechanical engineers of building services and civil engineers. If there is no architect, the chances are high that there are no services and civil engineers involved. Contractors then implement the designs since their core skills are in implementing, not designing.

The contractor's work is to implement the building works as per designs from various consultants i.e cicil eng, architect, structural eng etc.

Where the contractor takes up the role of the consultant, in most situations,from experience, there will be issues. This is similar to the SGR where the chinese contractors took up the role of feasibility study, creating the mess we are in at the moment. They estimated the fares to be kes 4,500 from nbo to msa while the recent air fares have come to kes 2850 for the same.
murchr
#33 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 4:24:32 PM

a4architect.com wrote:
@murchr, check the architects and quantity surveoyrs act of kenya here

http://www.boraqs.or.ke/userfiles/CAP%20525.pdf

check page 31

Quote:
providing small-scale drawings
showing the main lines of drainage and
other services as executed and giving initial
guidance on maintenance.

During the design, the architect provides drawings showing the general drainage.

The architect then works to finer detail in conjuction with the mechanical engineer of building services to refine these for the internal drainage.

The architect similarly works with the civil engineer to refine the drainage from the exit of the house till the sewerage/septic tank.

From the above, the architect makes the developer aware of services offered by mechanical engineers of building services and civil engineers. If there is no architect, the chances are high that there are no services and civil engineers involved. Contractors then implement the designs since their core skills are in implementing, not designing.

The contractor's work is to implement the building works as per designs from various consultants i.e cicil eng, architect, structural eng etc.

Where the contractor takes up the role of the consultant, in most situations,from experience, there will be issues. This is similar to the SGR where the chinese contractors took up the role of feasibility study, creating the mess we are in at the moment. They estimated the fares to be kes 4,500 from nbo to msa while the recent air fares have come to kes 2850 for the same.

So is this to say that the system has not been working or maintainance is lacking?

Most of those houses there have septic tanks that have to be emptied surely no one gets to know when they are filled ama architect should be the one ringing the alarm bells to ask them to empty it?
All i see there is lack of maintainance

a4architect.com
#34 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 5:05:18 PM

@murchr, i may not know the exact issue facing greenpark but from the newspaper article, it looks like an issue to do with architectural, mechanical and civil engineering design flaws and not workmanship/contractor flaws. It looks like an issue to do with the level of the toilets vis a vis the level of a full sewerage treatment plant. Maintenance is also a solution but if initially designed, there should be no need for such maintenance since levels will be well positioned in a way that sewerage backflow into the houses is impossible.
Stiffler
#35 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:29:54 PM

Angelica _ann
#36 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:33:24 PM

Stiffler wrote:
https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2001284612/pain-of-green-park-families-who-have-to-move-after-sinking-savings-in-houses

This is very sad, crazy Kenya!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
murchr
#37 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:56:17 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Stiffler wrote:
https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2001284612/pain-of-green-park-families-who-have-to-move-after-sinking-savings-in-houses

Where was WARMA when the houses went up less than 10yrs ago? This agency needs a makeover
newfarer
#38 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:01:19 AM

murchr wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

Where was WARMA when the houses went up less than 10yrs ago? This agency needs a makeover

the owners should be compensated.. it's not their fault.
punda amecheka
winmak
#39 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:25:54 AM

newfarer wrote:
murchr wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

The number of things that people suffer in this country that aren't their fault... Kulipwa watangoja sana
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
Wororo
#40 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:14:57 AM

winmak wrote:
newfarer wrote:
murchr wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Stiffler wrote:

The number of things that people suffer in this country that aren't their fault... Kulipwa watangoja sana

Some temporary reprieve for the Green Park Estate dwellers...