Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages«<151617
What was your worst mistake in trading.
Monk
#321 Posted : Saturday, May 05, 2018 6:13:55 PM

Metch wrote:
Monk wrote:
Not knowing when to quit time and again:

MSC-left with a 25% loss (170K) in 2013, having accumulated from 2005.

KQ-left with a 40% loss (117K) in 2011 after mistakenly betting on the 2010 World Cup in SA to lift their profitability and share price. Naikuni couldn't turn that windfall into profits.

CARB-passed up an opportunity to cash in when it was at its highest in 2014 following a bonus and split. It started falling soon after in 2015 and has never recovered.

KPLC-Decided to hang on to Mama Ngina's coat tails when she boarded in 2013, thinking her influence would benefit all the shareholders. If I was to bail out today, I would incur a 30% loss (117K)

These days I closely follow the counsel from @vvs and other FAs in Wazua. No more GoK stocks and most of the so called "growth stocks" for me, except KK. Focusing mainly on dividend yields.

KPLC has broken below 7 Bob. Will u average down?
Or is this turning into a nightmare one way ride for you

I averaged down when it reached 6.50 last year. Still holding on and watching.
sparkly
#322 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2018 8:38:16 AM

Monk wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Monk wrote:
Not knowing when to quit time and again:

MSC-left with a 25% loss (170K) in 2013, having accumulated from 2005.

KQ-left with a 40% loss (117K) in 2011 after mistakenly betting on the 2010 World Cup in SA to lift their profitability and share price. Naikuni couldn't turn that windfall into profits.

CARB-passed up an opportunity to cash in when it was at its highest in 2014 following a bonus and split. It started falling soon after in 2015 and has never recovered.

KPLC-Decided to hang on to Mama Ngina's coat tails when she boarded in 2013, thinking her influence would benefit all the shareholders. If I was to bail out today, I would incur a 30% loss (117K)

These days I closely follow the counsel from @vvs and other FAs in Wazua. No more GoK stocks and most of the so called "growth stocks" for me, except KK. Focusing mainly on dividend yields.

Pole, you have lost quite a chunk. When investing large sums on shares, I recommend two options:

1. Buy bluechips - market leaders in their sectors, regular and increasing dividends, long history of profitability, sound management; or
2. Invest with a professional fund manager . A young, small fund is preferable coz of flexibilty and higher returns.

i went for option 1. For some counters like KCB, my Div yield last FY was 17% due to a low average buying price... accumulated since 2005. I also started taking small bites of SCBK, BBK and EABL when they dip.

Great strategy. Am also looking to get some EABL if price falls below 200.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Seles83
#323 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 9:38:24 AM

Buying a apartment in Kileleshwa in May,2017 instead of investing in KCB/EQB as earlier planned.

Very costly mistake...I would be up almost 100% now..

Now i am playing waiting game for another 4 years plus..
More monies, more problems...
Cv254K
#324 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 10:49:03 AM

Buying Eveready during the IPO. Thought I would exit in 1-2 years with similar profits as I had made with Kengen's IPO. Ignored the red flags. By the time I had the courage to exit, was down by about 80% (factoring transaction costs). Made me reassess my risk profile.
obiero
#325 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 2:19:49 PM

Cv254K wrote:
Buying Eveready during the IPO. Thought I would exit in 1-2 years with similar profits as I had made with Kengen's IPO. Ignored the red flags. By the time I had the courage to exit, was down by about 80% (factoring transaction costs). Made me reassess my risk profile.

Sameer is bad news

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
NFag
#326 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2018 8:17:53 AM

From personal experience, I advise you to order the development of these guys http://soft-loft.com/. I am very satisfied with the quality of their work. If you do not want problems, then it's better to charge the creation of an online store with professionals.
corexsheetsuppliers
#327 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2018 2:04:26 PM

the market of wholesaling has grown more and more as the rates become more beneficial, like as such wholesalers are correx sheet suppliers 
Angelica _ann
#328 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2018 3:08:15 PM

corexsheetsuppliers wrote:
the market of wholesaling has grown more and more as the rates become more beneficial, like as such wholesalers are correx sheet suppliers 

NFag wrote:
From personal experience, I advise you to order the development of these guys http://soft-loft.com/. I am very satisfied with the quality of their work. If you do not want problems, then it's better to charge the creation of an online store with professionals.

You guys need to change your suppliers Sad Sad Sad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
maka
#329 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2018 3:54:21 PM

obiero wrote:
Cv254K wrote:

Sameer is bad news

Sold Eveready at 24 if am not wrong...

possunt quia posse videntur
sparkly
#330 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2018 6:16:28 PM

obiero wrote:
Cv254K wrote:

Sameer is bad news

Blame the Americans. They realized that market for dry cells was drying up (pun intended) with introduction of lithium ion battery and Kibaki's masterplan to grow the power grid, pampered the books and sold us a monkey.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Seles83
#331 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 7:39:01 AM

urstill1 wrote:
I have laughed my all. Thank you guys. I started trading in campo with Co-op and Safcom IPO. Made losses and quit. Now I'm back promised myself never to buy anything IPO. Been trading for the last 7 months. I have a huge chunk of Mumias stressing me day and night coz I average 4.4 bob.

If you cant have patience and think long-term no point investing in shares.

Also buy the value and proposition of a company rather than price.

Cheap is very expensive, in Kenya i would just stick to Financials, Safcon, Centum and KPLC/KenGen and hold for 20 yrs..
Seles83
#332 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 7:41:21 AM

obiero wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
Spikes wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
Still holding on to my ARM cement shares. I've seen the prices tumble from an all time high of Ksh 90 to the current low levels of 7 bob. Can't sell now so I might as well stay in for another 5 years.

What's your entry price?

44 bob post-split.

Hang tight @deadpoet.. ARM is not beyond redemption as at now

The influx of competitors into the Cement market, couple with Kenyans preference for budget products....this is one sector that i would gladly stay away from.
obiero
#333 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 4:52:14 PM

Seles83 wrote:
obiero wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
Spikes wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
Still holding on to my ARM cement shares. I've seen the prices tumble from an all time high of Ksh 90 to the current low levels of 7 bob. Can't sell now so I might as well stay in for another 5 years.

What's your entry price?

44 bob post-split.

The influx of competitors into the Cement market, couple with Kenyans preference for budget products....this is one sector that i would gladly stay away from.

Only time will tell whether ARM will die, but it is certainly very sick

obiero
#334 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:11:43 PM

obiero wrote:
Seles83 wrote:
obiero wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
Spikes wrote:
deadpoet wrote:

What's your entry price?

44 bob post-split.

Only time will tell whether ARM will die, but it is certainly very sick

Sadly. ARM died

Horton
#335 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:53:52 AM

There have been many, biggest one is when I bought RIO TINTO (Ticker:RIO on NYSE) I bought these for $88.50 on margin trading just before 2007-2008 meltdown. They dropped all the way to $45 I had to cover my positions at $ 70 odd. Lesson learnt and will not buy on margin. I had a similar one shorting KFT after Buffett said the Cadbury deal was a bad one. Prices fell and I should have covered the shorts but I got greedy and prices went above my shorting price 🤦🏽‍♂️ Lesson learnt, I don’t short or atleast don’t do it on the opinion of someone else even if it is the Oracle himself.

Locally, buy KPLC back in the day when they were Kes 250 because of NAV. I hadn’t factored in the Pref shares which were not quite apparent. You had to do some digging to get that info. But lesson learnt and I have learnt that NAV should be used with a pinch of salt.

Early on in my stock market career I bought Uchumi on the sentiments of someone despite the fact that it wasn’t doing well. It eventually was suspended for a few years before I could exit. Lesson learnt, Moat in a business is very important.

Sold KK prematurely. Was buying these shares at 38-43/- and after split was announced, sold at 102/- or thereabouts learnt that long term strategy is the way to go.

Currently I only hold a handful of companies and watch em like a hawk.