Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages«<14151617>
What was your worst mistake in trading.
obiero
#301 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 12:04:43 PM

deadpoet wrote:
Spikes wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
Still holding on to my ARM cement shares. I've seen the prices tumble from an all time high of Ksh 90 to the current low levels of 7 bob. Can't sell now so I might as well stay in for another 5 years.

What's your entry price?

44 bob post-split.

Hang tight @deadpoet.. ARM is not beyond redemption as at now

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
obiero
#302 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 12:06:29 PM

deadpoet wrote:
Spikes wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
Still holding on to my ARM cement shares. I've seen the prices tumble from an all time high of Ksh 90 to the current low levels of 7 bob. Can't sell now so I might as well stay in for another 5 years.

What's your entry price?

44 bob post-split.

Hang tight @deadpoet.. ARM is not beyond redemption as at now

Spikes
#303 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 12:16:22 PM

deadpoet wrote:
Spikes wrote:
deadpoet wrote:

What's your entry price?

44 bob post-split.

If things change to better performance ARM stock has a potential of rallying to 50-100 within a year or so.
I'm considering accumulating this stock at the current prices.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
obiero
#304 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 2:32:30 PM

Spikes wrote:
deadpoet wrote:
Spikes wrote:
deadpoet wrote:

What's your entry price?

44 bob post-split.

If things change to better performance ARM stock has a potential of rallying to 50-100 within a year or so.
I'm considering accumulating this stock at the current prices.

Day dreams. Its not possible for such a massive rally to occur in that timespan.. From KES 7 to KES 100 in 12 months, a 1,329% gain?!

wukan
#305 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 3:54:14 PM

Monk wrote:
Not knowing when to quit time and again:

MSC-left with a 25% loss (170K) in 2013, having accumulated from 2005.

KQ-left with a 40% loss (117K) in 2011 after mistakenly betting on the 2010 World Cup in SA to lift their profitability and share price. Naikuni couldn't turn that windfall into profits.

CARB-passed up an opportunity to cash in when it was at its highest in 2014 following a bonus and split. It started falling soon after in 2015 and has never recovered.

KPLC-Decided to hang on to Mama Ngina's coat tails when she boarded in 2013, thinking her influence would benefit all the shareholders. If I was to bail out today, I would incur a 30% loss (117K)

These days I closely follow the counsel from @vvs and other FAs in Wazua. No more GoK stocks and most of the so called "growth stocks" for me, except KK. Focusing mainly on dividend yields.

GoK stocks are live wire. Shareholder value is a foreign concept to GoK firms. Growth stocks are simply value traps. I learnt to take losses and profits. Taking losses quickly when the market turns against my expectations has saved me anguish. Like HF I took a 200k loss after realizing my reading of the company was wrong and re-invested the capital in better assets.
mulla
#306 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:12:45 PM

obiero wrote:
Monk wrote:

KQ-left with a 40% loss (117K) in 2011 after mistakenly betting on the 2010 World Cup in SA to lift their profitability and share price. Naikuni couldn't turn that windfall into profits.

CARB-passed up an opportunity to cash in when it was at its highest in 2014 following a bonus and split. It started falling soon after in 2015 and has never recovered.

KPLC-Decided to hang on to Mama Ngina's coat tails when she boarded in 2013, thinking her influence would benefit all the shareholders. If I was to bail out today, I would incur a 30% loss (117K)

These days I closely follow the counsel from @vvs and other FAs in Wazua. No more GoK stocks and most of the so called "growth stocks" for me, except KK. Focusing mainly on dividend yields.

Pole sana, but hope is eternal. My average buy price on KQ is KES 24.2; if I were to sell KQ today, I would be KES 976,000 in the red. Sema hasara! But im not making any false/early moves until I read the Open Offer circular

d'oh! d'oh! i dont know whether to laugh or cry....even KK would have made you a fortune from that investment...
obiero
#307 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:27:47 PM

wukan wrote:
Monk wrote:

GoK stocks are live wire. Shareholder value is a foreign concept to GoK firms. Growth stocks are simply value traps. I learnt to take losses and profits. Taking losses quickly when the market turns against my expectations has saved me anguish. Like HF I took a 200k loss after realizing my reading of the company was wrong and re-invested the capital in better assets.

KCB and Safaricom have large GoK holdings

obiero
#308 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:29:22 PM

mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Monk wrote:

Pole sana, but hope is eternal. My average buy price on KQ is KES 24.2; if I were to sell KQ today, I would be KES 976,000 in the red. Sema hasara! But im not making any false/early moves until I read the Open Offer circular

d'oh! d'oh! i dont know whether to laugh or cry....even KK would have made you a fortune from that investment...

Kindly hold the laughter or tears upto Open Offer announcement. The tables will be turned, Inshallah!

wukan
#309 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:36:38 PM

obiero wrote:
wukan wrote:
Monk wrote:

KCB mops large GoK deposits -incest really. Name one innovative product from KCB?
Safaricom got into bed with GoK nowadays behaves like slay queen expensive and out of touch with market. Telkom will catch up with them
Swenani
#310 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:41:32 PM

mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Monk wrote:

Even gambling
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
obiero
#311 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:55:53 PM

wukan wrote:
obiero wrote:
wukan wrote:
Monk wrote:

KCB mops large GoK deposits -incest really. Name one innovative product from KCB?
Safaricom got into bed with GoK nowadays behaves like slay queen expensive and out of touch with market. Telkom will catch up with them

KCB-Mpesa? However, banks in Africa generally speaking do not need to be innovative but rock solid, ask Chase or Imperial, razzmatazz and free biscuits will never comfort lost deposits

obiero
#312 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 4:57:31 PM

wukan wrote:
obiero wrote:
wukan wrote:
Monk wrote:

KCB-Mpesa? However, banks in Africa generally speaking do not need to be innovative but rock solid, ask Chase or Imperial, razzmatazz and free biscuits will never comfort lost deposits

Ericsson
#313 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2018 5:09:32 PM

wukan wrote:
obiero wrote:
wukan wrote:
Monk wrote:

If safaricom is expensive why are you with them,it's cause the other providers have cheap and lousy services
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
muandiwambeu
#314 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 12:00:02 PM

mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Monk wrote:

@Obiero. Now, am sure you got some titanium balls. But am wondering how will you fair at 5/=. Mr market will pulverize your nuggets to dust. I will honorably give you a baptism of fire at friends induction furnace. Hell has no wrath poignantly present here at kq.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
watesh
#315 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 12:39:00 PM

obiero wrote:
Monk wrote:

These losses waaaaah! Poleni. I also wouldnt exit in such, i would rather own them forever and hope for a miracle
obiero
#316 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 12:54:34 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:
mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:
Monk wrote:

@Obiero. Now, am sure you got some titanium balls. But am wondering how will you fair at 5/=. Mr market will pulverize your nuggets to dust. I will honorably give you a baptism of fire at friends induction furnace. Hell has no wrath poignantly present here at kq.

@muandiwambeu relax and watch it unfold. I will not comment much until the Open Offer circular is sighted

Metch
#317 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 1:17:33 PM

Monk wrote:

KPLC has broken below 7 Bob. Will u average down?
Or is this turning into a nightmare one way ride for you
Start!
mulla
#318 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 2:01:28 PM

obiero wrote:
Monk wrote:

@Monk....the advice to follow that works for me and that is recommended by investment gurus is that once you have researched into a stock and are ready to pull the trigger, figure the kind of return you expect to make i.e.20%,30%,40% etc.
Once that target is reached, SELL!! DO NOT BE GREEDY AND WAIT FOR HIGHER PRICE. SELL!!
ONLY SELL EARLIER if the company fundamentals change for the WORSE so don't be intimidated by price shocks along the way to reaching your target.
ONCE TARGET IS REACHED "ONLY" DELAY SELLING if there's a STRONG factor contributing to exceeding your selling target, example, company acquisition, company expansion etc
sparkly
#319 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 6:12:45 PM

Monk wrote:

Pole, you have lost quite a chunk. When investing large sums on shares, I recommend two options:

1. Buy bluechips - market leaders in their sectors, regular and increasing dividends, long history of profitability, sound management; or
2. Invest with a professional fund manager . A young, small fund is preferable coz of flexibilty and higher returns.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Monk
#320 Posted : Saturday, May 05, 2018 6:08:28 PM

sparkly wrote:
Monk wrote:

Pole, you have lost quite a chunk. When investing large sums on shares, I recommend two options:

1. Buy bluechips - market leaders in their sectors, regular and increasing dividends, long history of profitability, sound management; or
2. Invest with a professional fund manager . A young, small fund is preferable coz of flexibilty and higher returns.

i went for option 1. For some counters like KCB, my Div yield last FY was 17% due to a low average buying price... accumulated since 2005. I also started taking small bites of SCBK, BBK and EABL when they dip.