Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages«<34567>»
4 family (3 bed/2bath) flat budget Ksh. 5m
african coloner
#81 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 11:25:57 PM

Well done guys. keep it up
babashiko
#82 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 9:46:28 AM

@penny well done for a good job and sharing. It gives some of us some inspiration,and then you had counted the cost and thing working to plan. Not easy always especially when you have to rely on savings which tinkle down little by little every month end - like me!
Wakanyugi
#83 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 7:52:40 PM

Penny-Stocker wrote:

Good luck buddy! You definitely hit the nail on the head, starting is the hard part.....once the project is up, you $$$ priority shift because you have a project to complete! I am interested in seeing your house....looking for ideas about designing my own humble aboard.

I am always happy to share. Give me your email address and I'll send you what I have.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Penny-Stocker
#84 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 8:20:36 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Penny-Stocker wrote:

Good luck buddy! You definitely hit the nail on the head, starting is the hard part.....once the project is up, you $$$ priority shift because you have a project to complete! I am interested in seeing your house....looking for ideas about designing my own humble aboard.

I am always happy to share. Give me your email address and I'll send you what I have.

@Wakanyugi hit me up at stocker dot penny at gmail dot com
“None but ourselves can free our minds.”
- Bob Marley
Penny-Stocker
#85 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2013 7:53:07 PM

Yet another update! That's where I am as of May 24th. What's left.....
1. Painting
2. Tiling
3. Kuweka vyo
4. Kuweka kitchen cabinets and wardrobes
5. Landscaping the compound
6. Putting up parameter wall

That's it for now folks! I'll post the final product soon with cost breakdown, ups and downs, advice, etc
- Bob Marley
a4architect.com
#86 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:29:47 PM

@penny stocker..Whats the plinth area of the buidings? How much have you spent so far?
From the pics i can guesstimate that each unit is 130m2 so total area is 260m2.
From the materials plus quality of workmanship, i can guestimate that the project will cost a total of 5.4m. Currently, its at 80% completion so it has costed you 4.3m. Am i plus minus 10 % right or wrong?
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
a4architect.com
#87 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:39:08 PM

Penny-Stocker wrote:
lietmach wrote:
Congrats Pennystocker... A job well done.

2 questions: when you calculate the cost per square metre, what does it come to? Your total figure is rather encouraging
And I have an 8th piece at Polyview (makaburini) and my friends advice that spacious 2 bedroom would earn between 15 - 20k. How is it that you anticipate 30k for your units located 15km away cf mine 4km from CBD

I can demand 30K/month because of the following:

1. Three spacious bedrooms (two bathrooms - master one en-suite), spacious living room and a separate dining!

2. Location is Mamboleo. Pretty safe area and very fast developing.

Below is my floor plan! First floor is identical to ground floor.

3. I have ample parking - talking of 6 cars!

I'm hoping to have this done by July and occupied by August - we'll see if I make the deadline!

from the floor plans, the area is 140m2 per floor=280m2 for both floors.
Assuming a construction cost of kes 20k per m2, you will complete at 5.6m.
Assuming 80% completion, this has costed you 4.4m. True or false?
young
#88 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:01:47 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
Penny-Stocker wrote:

....I bet some people here on Wazua say they have projects kwa mdomo tu...why can't we all start posting our progress pics....!

@Penny-Stocker: you might recall I started my project in Ruiru at about the same time as you did. Mine was a personal simba, not rental, although I am getting tempted. Three bedroom maisonette with one guest room on a quarter acre plot.

I am not able to post photos, but I can report that it is all roofed. What remains are the fittings, finishes and septic tank. So far it has cost me just under 4M - all savings.

I have learned many things. For instance while Decra roofing is more expensive than clay tiles you make up for the extra cost through reduced roofing timber, utility and presentability.

Some wise people on this board have often said that, when it comes to a building project, the most difficult thing is to start. Wise words. Don't wait to have all your ducks in a row - just start and new problems will suggest new solutions as you go.

The fundi I hired turned out to be a god-send. Very efficient and honest fellow. I am also planning to construct two more units same size in about a years time.

Thank you to the Wazua family for the inspiration

Congrats @wakanyugi, hope you will also consider building some rental units for income
now that you know the techniques.
I am one of the "late converts" in real estate and my experience in the 5 past years has really paid off, though one should compliment with blue chip stocks to balance it.
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
Penny-Stocker
#89 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:05:39 PM

a4architect.com wrote:
Penny-Stocker wrote:
lietmach wrote:

2 questions: when you calculate the cost per square metre, what does it come to? Your total figure is rather encouraging
And I have an 8th piece at Polyview (makaburini) and my friends advice that spacious 2 bedroom would earn between 15 - 20k. How is it that you anticipate 30k for your units located 15km away cf mine 4km from CBD

1. Three spacious bedrooms (two bathrooms - master one en-suite), spacious living room and a separate dining!

I'm hoping to have this done by July and occupied by August - we'll see if I make the deadline!

@ a4architect.com - What do you think of the design and the workmanship? I have spent around 4.6m. I don't have the correct figures in front of me right now. Hoping to spend around 800k more to finish it and have tenants in!
- Bob Marley
Penny-Stocker
#90 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:08:54 PM

young wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
Penny-Stocker wrote:

....I bet some people here on Wazua say they have projects kwa mdomo tu...why can't we all start posting our progress pics....!

@Penny-Stocker: you might recall I started my project in Ruiru at about the same time as you did. Mine was a personal simba, not rental, although I am getting tempted. Three bedroom maisonette with one guest room on a quarter acre plot.

I am not able to post photos, but I can report that it is all roofed. What remains are the fittings, finishes and septic tank. So far it has cost me just under 4M - all savings.

I have learned many things. For instance while Decra roofing is more expensive than clay tiles you make up for the extra cost through reduced roofing timber, utility and presentability.

Some wise people on this board have often said that, when it comes to a building project, the most difficult thing is to start. Wise words. Don't wait to have all your ducks in a row - just start and new problems will suggest new solutions as you go.

The fundi I hired turned out to be a god-send. Very efficient and honest fellow. I am also planning to construct two more units same size in about a years time.

Thank you to the Wazua family for the inspiration

Congrats @wakanyugi, hope you will also consider building some rental units for income
I am one of the "late converts" in real estate and my experience in the 5 past years has really paid off, though one should compliment with blue chip stocks to balance it.

@young...buy some dividend paying stocks and you'll never look back! From your posts, I am assuming that you're in those already! I love real estate because it'll appreciate on top of collecting rent!
- Bob Marley
Wakanyugi
#91 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:58:07 PM

young wrote:
[quote=Wakanyugi]

Thanks Mzee Young. I am working on just such a rental units plan, as soon as I clear my mortgage on the family home, which I should do soon. I might even be tempted to convert the current, 'retirement,' project into a rental if I get a good deal.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Am
#92 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 9:20:52 AM

Penny-Stocker wrote:
a4architect.com wrote:
Penny-Stocker wrote:
lietmach wrote:

@Penny Stocker. Great stuff you are doing. Thanks for the Posts, it is very encouraging.

@a4architech - Very goods estimations. Allow me to ask you a question. I Find it unbelievable that the 4, 3 bedroomed units will be Complete at 5.6M. I find this cost very very low, with the Kind of workmanship done on the Units. Is the 5.6M the cost of the whole project? if so, kwani what would be the (very Rough estimate) to do a Single, 3 bedroomed unit assuming the same house style, materials etc as above? Thanks.

@ a4architect.com - What do you think of the design and the workmanship? I have spent around 4.6m. I don't have the correct figures in front of me right now. Hoping to spend around 800k more to finish it and have tenants in!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God..
Am
#93 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 9:24:06 AM

Penny-Stocker wrote:
a4architect.com wrote:
Penny-Stocker wrote:
lietmach wrote:

@Penny Stocker. Great stuff you are doing. Thanks for the Posts, it is very encouraging.

@a4architech - Very goods estimations. Allow me to ask you a question. I Find it unbelievable that the 4, 3 bedroomed units will be Complete at 5.6M. I find this cost very very low, with the Kind of workmanship done on the Units. Is the 5.6M the cost of the whole project? if so, kwani what would be the (very Rough estimate) to do a Single, 3 bedroomed unit assuming the same house style, materials etc as above? Thanks.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God..
a4architect.com
#94 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 10:08:48 AM

@Pennystocker. The design is perfect and the workmanship is superb, especially the hand dressed multi coloured stone facade, prodtuding windows and large balconies.

@am. the reason why @pennystocker is able to achieve a kes 30,000 per m2 building with only kes 20,000 per m2 is because
1.in the usual estimates, contracotr profit is added . In this case there is no contractor profit. He is lucky to have found high quality labour at a low cost.
2. Labour and tansport costs in Kisumu could be much lower than in Nairobi due to high cost of living, traffic jam etc etc.

A 3 bedroomed of 80m will cost you kes 1.6m.
Am
#95 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 12:30:09 PM

a4architect.com wrote:
@Pennystocker. The design is perfect and the workmanship is superb, especially the hand dressed multi coloured stone facade, prodtuding windows and large balconies.

@am. the reason why @pennystocker is able to achieve a kes 30,000 per m2 building with only kes 20,000 per m2 is because
1.in the usual estimates, contracotr profit is added . In this case there is no contractor profit. He is lucky to have found high quality labour at a low cost.
2. Labour and tansport costs in Kisumu could be much lower than in Nairobi due to high cost of living, traffic jam etc etc.

@a4architect. Many thanks. God willing, You will be earning consultancy fees from me very soon. We have spoken in the Past and I will Kontact you soon.
a4architect.com
#96 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 1:35:58 PM

Am wrote:
a4architect.com wrote:

@a4architect. Many thanks. God willing, You will be earning consultancy fees from me very soon. We have spoken in the Past and I will Kontact you soon.

@am..welcome. Good to know that we have spoken in the past. Feel free to contact me any time. My office is located near World Vision opposite deputy presidents residence. here is the google map https://maps.google.com/...b1d07100dd7f27&msa=0
icecube
#97 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 9:36:07 PM

Good work guys, excellent information here. Please keep it up. Contractors should not make building a house so expensive. Contractor profit, transport costs, pilferage, and other inefficiencies can double or even triple the cot of building a house. From the information given here,3 bedroom should not cost more than 5 million to average standards, even here in Nairobi.
Penny-Stocker
#98 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:35:54 AM

a4architect.com wrote:

@a4architecture: You are right about the quality workmanship at a lower cost in Kisumu. I had an estimate from a fundi from Nairobi and he quoted me around Ksh. 10m, including his labor, which was around 2m.

Three pieces of advice I'd give right away:
1. buy your own materials, i mean personally go to the hardware, ziweke kwa lorry and bring them
2. Negotiate pay in stages..i.e, how much to do the slab, after the slab is done, now negotiate for walling, then 1st floor slab, then walling....etc. You'll save a lot of $$$ and fundis will be very efficient!
3. Negotiate with all fundis individually ..i.e, mason guy, chuma guy etc....don't have them subcontract, hiyo, utafinywa!
- Bob Marley
Penny-Stocker
#99 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:37:29 AM

icecube wrote:
Good work guys, excellent information here. Please keep it up. Contractors should not make building a house so expensive. Contractor profit, transport costs, pilferage, and other inefficiencies can double or even triple the cot of building a house. From the information given here,3 bedroom should not cost more than 5 million to average standards, even here in Nairobi.

Thanks for encouragement! Construction can be cheaper if you supervise your project very very closely!
- Bob Marley
a4architect.com
#100 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:11:20 AM

Penny-Stocker wrote:
a4architect.com wrote:

@a4architecture: You are right about the quality workmanship at a lower cost in Kisumu. I had an estimate from a fundi from Nairobi and he quoted me around Ksh. 10m, including his labor, which was around 2m.

Three pieces of advice I'd give right away:
1. buy your own materials, i mean personally go to the hardware, ziweke kwa lorry and bring them
2. Negotiate pay in stages..i.e, how much to do the slab, after the slab is done, now negotiate for walling, then 1st floor slab, then walling....etc. You'll save a lot of $$$ and fundis will be very efficient!
3. Negotiate with all fundis individually ..i.e, mason guy, chuma guy etc....don't have them subcontract, hiyo, utafinywa!

@pennystocker..thanks for the very wise words up there. If Kenyans were to use your method, the construction industry would be very vibrant.