wazua Wed, May 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

DT Dobie vs freelance mechanic
Kasheshi
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:55:00 PM

Ís there anyone on SK who knows the comparable cost between getting your car fixed at DT Dobie as opposed to a regular mechanic? I'm tired of being fleeced by mechanics who capitalize on my ignorance. e.g. my mechanic changed my bushes for kshs. 2400- it's a toyota 110. what would DT Dobie charge for the same service?

R
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:44:00 PM

In order to know that you are being fleeced you must have comparative figures,what are these? And what exactly is your problem - 2,400 is too much or are you not getting value for it? If the former,sorry,if the latter,how much should you pay? If you know what you feel you should pay,why don't you tell the mechanic? He doesn't hold a gun to your head,does he? By the way,as far as I know DT Dobie don't do toyotas.
luttz
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:43:00 PM

@Kasheshi

Why would u want to take your Toyota to Dt Dobie? All the same,dealers charge expensively because of their overheads and salaries for executives. We have many other estalished workshops whose quality is as good as dealerships. Get a copy of monthy motor,it has tips on where to get what. In future ask your mechanic to check the car and list to you the parts that require replacements. Armed with the list and vehicle chassis and engine no,proceed to Toyota kenya to buy the parts so that the mechanic will fit and charge you labour. This method is still not full proof since some mechanics will list items which another client requires and once you buy them,they will proceed and fix them elsewhere. Its a difficult ball game mate,experience is your best teacher or hooking up with someone who understands the trade.
"You've never lived until you've almost died; for those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know."
Informer
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 9:18:00 AM

Just get a mechanic you can trust. Toyota Kenya will more expensive. I can refer you to a good mechanic if you want

SECURITY STARTS WITH YOU
alerts.you@gmail.com
whatever is done in the dark will always come to the light and find its way to bite u in the ass (SO DO THE RIGHT THING EVEN WHEN NO-ONE IS WATCHING)
tamtam
#5 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 9:24:00 AM

Dont worry,you will soon be experienced and wont be fleeced. I went thro the same but want i did was i would take the car,have the mechanic list what spares we need then ask for advice from friends on how much on average it should cost me to replace 1,2,3...with time i do very little consulting

Caveat - make sure your mechanic is an expert not trial and error

Nice
The shifts of Fortune test the reliability of friends
Kasheshi
#6 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:11:00 AM

@ informer,that would be very helpful. My main beef with them is that many times they claim to have put new spares only to realize they are second hand or not there at all. I think the listing of parts and then buying them myself is a good idea

R
Antoo
#7 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 7:50:00 PM

@

kasheshi,also
when at the garage,befriend other vehicle owners,they usually have good tips on how much to pay for labour,where to source parts and a good mechanic.

Consciousness is observing your thoughts and actions so that you can live from true choice in the present moment rather than being run by programming from the past
Dollar Man
#8 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:11:00 PM

I agree with @ tamtam. You only get to learn these things over time. Toyota 110 bushes @ Kshs. 2400? A set of the 2 long ones goes for Kshs. 500 and the short ones Kshs. 400. Therefore,u end up spending Kshs. 900 for all your front arm bushes. My own mechanic had quoted Kshs. 1600 plus labour last week and I had to even direct him to the shop along Kirinyaga Rd where he was to get them cheap. He feigned surprise. Kenya remains a man eat man society and if not caraeful,u always stand the chance of being the victim.

Your future depends on your dreams; so,go to sleep.
Informer
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:04:00 AM

@Kasheshi
Get in touch I give you his contact alerts.you@gmail.com

SECURITY STARTS WITH YOU
alerts.you@gmail.com
whatever is done in the dark will always come to the light and find its way to bite u in the ass (SO DO THE RIGHT THING EVEN WHEN NO-ONE IS WATCHING)
blackman
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:04:00 PM

It really depends. And i'd say your mechanic is not so expensive.Lets imagine its the front arm bushes. You'll need 2pcs 12120= Ksh 1000,2pcs 12090= Ksh 800 plus pressing charges btw200 n 400 total is 2000 to 2200 whats the fuss about

blackman