wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Ndunduri gwa Kiongo
Kusadikika
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 2:30:51 PM

This is not meant to be disrespectful to anybody. It is an exploratory thread on common Kenyan cultures. For those who are overly sensitive on matters tribal please do not be offended. I am hoping that by people contributing honestly people will get a better understanding of how different people view each other.

It is my understanding that every tribe in Kenya feels superior to all the others and they all have their Jinga tribe. This may be a bit too sensitive to go into but if you can shed light on this without being offensive I would like to know how people from different tribes view others.

What is however more interesting is that within tribes people from different areas always feel superior to people from other areas and there are plenty of Jokes about Jinga people from certain areas. Among the Kikuyu, I think the most famous place is Ndunduri. People from Ndunduri especially a place called gwa Kiongo are supposedly not very bright and they do all sorts of funny things like drink Uji from their gumboots and knock on the door of Hotels before they go in. I have met many people from Ndunduri and they too laugh at these jokes but I wonder how they came about.

My question is, what is the origin of these stereotypes? Do you have them in other tribes and what are they?
otienosmall
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 2:52:40 PM

Nduduri is a very cold and muddy place throughout the year and thus you will find majority of people donning gumboots throughout, maybe the reason it is rumored that they fancy the boots so much to a point of using them as mugs. The stupidity notion could have arisen from the fact that food supply is always in excess and there being no market since everybody is well endowed and coupled with poor roads, the food stuffs are sold at a throw away price. You cannot finish two mandazis in Ndunduri it’s like stupidity you wonder what profit they make..just my guessing……but take hearts your village is not necessary the most devoid of grey matter…smile
dunkang
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:07:20 PM

Surely, that Ka-Ndunduri village must be full of STUPID characters. The stereotyping that goes around cannot all be fake.

There is one guy who told me that 'dunduri' women do not remove their 'viondo's' (traditional bags) from their backs even in Matatus. Hii ni ukweli pia?
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

Impunity
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:25:00 PM

dunkang wrote:
Surely, that Ka-Ndunduri village must be full of STUPID characters. The stereotyping that goes around cannot all be fake.

There is one guy who told me that 'dunduri' women do not remove their 'viondo's' (traditional bags) from their backs even in Matatus. Hii ni ukweli pia?

Ditto!
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Wendz
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:14:06 PM

otienosmall wrote:
Nduduri is a very cold and muddy place throughout the year and thus you will find majority of people donning gumboots throughout, maybe the reason it is rumored that they fancy the boots so much to a point of using them as mugs. The stupidity notion could have arisen from the fact that food supply is always in excess and there being no market since everybody is well endowed and coupled with poor roads, the food stuffs are sold at a throw away price. You cannot finish two mandazis in Ndunduri it’s like stupidity you wonder what profit they make..just my guessing……but take hearts your village is not necessary the most devoid of grey matter…smile

You clearly are not an otieno... which otieno knows so much about ndudori? That's my village though... The things they say are true... you see, we use the gumboots before we wear them... its not like we remove them from the legs and take porridge with them. As for the bags, I actually saw one lady here in nairobi who refused to have her kiondo put in the boot... i was really tempted to ask her if she's from ndudori... the reason this happens is because everytime the matatus at our place take the mzigo and put in the boot they charge the mzigo too... to avoid that charge, the women insist on carrying the kiondo themselves..... Am not sure what's so stupid about that... to me, they are pretty penny-wise.

As for the mandazis, you know even at home, and i bet it is in every village, when you are served food, you aren't put for kidogo food. The "pile" it till it starts overflowing on the sides... same as the tea in a cup and even when they give you water. they fill it to the brim.... so people are used to eating quite abit and given that the food is in plenty, there needs be no rationing. With that in mind, how do you then cook the Nairobi mandazis or mahamris and serve a whole grown man with a huge cup of tea? The mandazi has to be in sync with the cup of tea.... remember milk and water are in plenty.....

so, now you see?? It's not that bad.
Kusadikika
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:29:15 PM

Who would have thought that Wendz is from Ndundori?!!!!

It is very interesting, it is my understanding that one of the reasons why people did not take Jesus seriously in his days was that he was from the Ndundori of Israel. I think its John 1:46 where someone asks if anything good can come out of Nazareth. He had an accent that immediately distinguished him as a Ndundori guy.
Lolest!
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:28:04 PM

@wendz, I always thought that you were joking when you said you are from Ndunduri.

On the chapos n mandazis, someone told me that wheat is also grown around there hence the generosity in the serving!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
QW25091985
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:31:54 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
This is not meant to be disrespectful to anybody. It is an exploratory thread on common Kenyan cultures. For those who are overly sensitive on matters tribal please do not be offended. I am hoping that by people contributing honestly people will get a better understanding of how different people view each other.

It is my understanding that every tribe in Kenya feels superior to all the others and they all have their Jinga tribe. This may be a bit too sensitive to go into but if you can shed light on this without being offensive I would like to know how people from different tribes view others.

What is however more interesting is that within tribes people from different areas always feel superior to people from other areas and there are plenty of Jokes about Jinga people from certain areas. Among the Kikuyu, I think the most famous place is Ndunduri. People from Ndunduri especially a place called gwa Kiongo are supposedly not very bright and they do all sorts of funny things like drink Uji from their gumboots and knock on the door of Hotels before they go in. I have met many people from Ndunduri and they too laugh at these jokes but I wonder how they came about.

My question is, what is the origin of these stereotypes? Do you have them in other tribes and what are they?

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly . deadly
essyk
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:35:41 PM

Ngatho! So ndunduri hasnt changed a bit since we started making fun of the place some years back?

We were told that ndunduri people knock on buses to be allowed in.

And then its said they ngethia (stare) with all teeth out because of the strong winds which forces them to open their mouth.
Sad

If you are the economy guy,take a girl to Ndunduri cz you will spend less than 50 bob and she will be happy.

God bless ndunduri

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
otienosmall
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:14:19 AM

Wendz wrote:
otienosmall wrote:

You clearly are not an otieno... which otieno knows so much about ndudori? That's my village though... The things they say are true... you see, we use the gumboots before we wear them... its not like we remove them from the legs and take porridge with them. As for the bags, I actually saw one lady here in nairobi who refused to have her kiondo put in the boot... i was really tempted to ask her if she's from ndudori... the reason this happens is because everytime the matatus at our place take the mzigo and put in the boot they charge the mzigo too... to avoid that charge, the women insist on carrying the kiondo themselves..... Am not sure what's so stupid about that... to me, they are pretty penny-wise.

As for the mandazis, you know even at home, and i bet it is in every village, when you are served food, you aren't put for kidogo food. The "pile" it till it starts overflowing on the sides... same as the tea in a cup and even when they give you water. they fill it to the brim.... so people are used to eating quite abit and given that the food is in plenty, there needs be no rationing. With that in mind, how do you then cook the Nairobi mandazis or mahamris and serve a whole grown man with a huge cup of tea? The mandazi has to be in sync with the cup of tea.... remember milk and water are in plenty.....

so, now you see?? It's not that bad.

I am an Otis who has travelled far and wide. I must admit Ndunduri is blessed. Used to go there to buy fruits and as little as 50bob you get a debe of plums and while leaving you get several free kilograms of the same to go enjoying on the way. Problem is the temptation of not thinking outside the box after all everything is there. I never knew Ndundurians ever leave the comfort of their village
Wendz
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:15:12 PM

essyk wrote:
Ngatho! So ndunduri hasnt changed a bit since we started making fun of the place some years back?

We were told that ndunduri people knock on buses to be allowed in.

[b]And then its said they ngethia (stare) with all teeth out because of the strong winds which forces them to open their mouth.
Sad [/b]

If you are the economy guy,take a girl to Ndunduri cz you will spend less than 50 bob and she will be happy. for our hairdos, we still use the hot comb and stove.... am serious.... very economical, though alittle messy by the end of the day!

God bless ndunduri

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Wendz
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:19:36 PM

Lolest! wrote:
@wendz, I always thought that you were joking when you said you are from Ndunduri.
The whistling dude aint showing.... its coming something totally different that i did not intend!

On the chapos n mandazis, someone told me that wheat is also grown around there hence the generosity in the serving!

by the way, did you hear how the dough to make those mandazis is made? in large buckets and kneaded with feet.... am serious! And yes, wheat does very well.... and we make that mafuta ya cream - kinda like ghee... very healthy. though some people complain it's smelly.
alma
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:35:12 PM

@Wendz...lol The post office? Hiyo ni kwetu...lets name drop. Kahura
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
Lolest!
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:12:19 PM

@wendz, @alma, How much is an acre? This is paradise! Is it also true that Ndundori is in Subukia, Nakuru and not in Nyandarua county? My next road trip...
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Wendz
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:22:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMuEaSA78w

There you go....you can have the 1st hand experience....

@alma, you know gathundia? tumaini?

@Laughing out loudly, yep, Dundori is not in Nyandarua. Its in Rift Valley.
limanika
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:59:20 PM

Wendz wrote:

Wow, this looks like my village shopping centre where shops were last built in the 1970s courtesy of the coffee boom…with collapse of coffee industry everyone zoomed off to Nairobi as Mungiki took control in the 90s hence no new development. The story is the same everywhere in Central, I hope things will change with coming of county governments
Drunkard
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:40:56 PM

NANDI

Since I am the only kalenjins who have come out, I will shade light on Kalenjins and especially Nandi( I am a Nandi).

According to the Nandi, they're suppose to be the most superior tribe in Kalenjin and Kenya and I guess the world, infact there are stories that Nandis were the only tribe in KAMATUSA who were blessed to have leaders and other tribes as far as Maasai would come and borrow leaders. There is also a strong believe that Nandi men are the most menly men in the entire world and Nandi women are the coolest women in the world( I grew up in the west but my grandfather still want me to go back to the village to get a "good" wife because according to him "good" wives only are made in Nandi!

For those who don't know, William Ruto, H. Kosgei, Dr Sally Kosgei and kipchoge Keino are Nandis. Moi is a Tugen( Nandis say they raised him), Biwott is a Keyio and Isaac Ruto is Kipsigis, Kutuny is a Keyio.

Nandis believe that Kikuyu women marry you for money and will kill you for your money, they believe that Kipsigis women sleep around, Keyio women will beat the hell out of you and Luhyas are a no no. As a matter of facts Nandis see Luhya as second class people, the most hated tribe is Luhya if you want to insult a nandi call him a Luhya.

Nandis and Kalenjins as a whole do not trust Kikuyus, they might hate the Luhyas but they trust them. Infact Kalenjins do not hate Kikuyus they just don't trust them, I remember when I was a kid there were Kikuyus who would come to preach in our home and my grandma wouldn't close her eyes when they were praying because she just never trusted them.
masukuma
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:35:36 PM

for kyuks damiano tells how people from Nakuru, Naivasha and Ndunduri gwa Kiongo were duped
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXwWwBLbRtM
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Mtu Biz
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:56:33 PM

Wendz wrote:

Pause the video at 0:37 Priceless!!!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Sola Scriptura

Kusadikika
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:35:36 PM

Mtu Biz wrote:
Wendz wrote:

Pause the video at 0:37 Priceless!!!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

The pose, the gumboots, the background of karais in front of the Bata shop. That is Ndundori kabisa. The only thing missing is that he has not thinikirad (tucked in) his jacket.

There is also an issue of Central Kenya Kikuyus who think Rift Valley Kikuyus are dim. They call them andu a ruguru (People of the West). I think this may have been because the people who originally migrated from central Kenya to look for work in wazungu farms in the Rift Valley were the poor ones. Some practices which had slowly stopped being practiced by Central Kenya Kikuyus like female circumcision persisted among some Rift Valley Kikuyus as recently as the early 90s and I believe for some even to this day.

And whats the story with Ng'arua and Ndeiya??