wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages123>»
CBK T Bill returns
amolo
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:33:38 PM

It would appear the CBK does not pay the interest rates they claim to pay for T Bills and Bonds. As an example if you invest 100K on 364 days at 20% pa after 15% w/h tax you will get an interest of Ksh 14,134.65
Please use this CBK link to confirm my figures:

http://www.centralbank.g...uryBillsCalculator.aspx

Accordintg to my calculations the interst should be KSH 16,953.424 after 15% w/h Tax(allowing for the 364 days instead of 365 in a year)
Someone enlighten me please, better Mark L Lesiit(Assist Director, Financial Markets Department, CBK)
guru267
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:48:11 PM

From the calculator the interest is being calculated from the market price of the T-bill which is 83.71..

Meaning at this price your investment will be 83,710 and not 100k...
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
Cde Monomotapa
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:49:54 PM

R U related to RAO by any chance smile
Scooby
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:15:13 AM

Amolo,

Treasury bonds are a form of zero coupon bonds i.e. an investor gets the entire interest at the end of the investment period e.g after 364 days.

In your case, had you bid for the 364 treasury bill at 20% and you were successful, the current value of your Kshs. 100,000 (that you will get after 364 days) is Kshs. 83,371.

The difference between the current value and the face value is Kshs. 16,629. Hence, Kshs. 16,629 divided by the current value of Kshs. 83,371 gives you the 20% that you bid at.

CBK, will not only request you to pay up Kshs. 83,371 but also the 15% with - holding tax on your interest which is Kshs. 2,494.35. That explains the offer amount of Kshs. 85,865.35 as per your link.

Your net interest will therefore be Kshs. Kshs. 14,134.65 which is roughly 17% of the current value.

The offer amount plus the net interest is equal to the face value of the treasury bill

Hope this helps.
amolo
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:04:12 AM

Thanks, guru267 and Scooby. Clarification clear and issue closed.
As for Monomotapa please stop seeing everybody as either a relative of ROA or Ruto or Kenyatta. Some people are simply Kenyans, period. Not Kikuyus or Luos or Kambas or Kalenjins, just simple Kenyans.
Sufficiently Philanga....thropic
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:34:41 AM

amolo wrote:
It would appear the CBK does not pay the interest rates they claim to pay for T Bills and Bonds. As an example if you invest 100K on 364 days at 20% pa after 15% w/h tax you will get an interest of Ksh 14,134.65
Please use this CBK link to confirm my figures:

http://www.centralbank.g...uryBillsCalculator.aspx

Accordintg to my calculations the interst should be KSH 16,953.424 after 15% w/h Tax(allowing for the 364 days instead of 365 in a year)
Someone enlighten me please, better Mark L Lesiit(Assist Director, Financial Markets Department, CBK)

@Amolo, interest is calculated on what you pay, your actual investment, and not what you receive, in this case 100K.
Regards
@SufficientlyP
gatoho
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:53:45 PM

amolo wrote:
Thanks, guru267 and Scooby. Clarification clear and issue closed.
As for Monomotapa please stop seeing everybody as either a relative of ROA or Ruto or Kenyatta. Some people are simply Kenyans, period. Not Kikuyus or Luos or Kambas or Kalenjins, just simple Kenyans.

Amolo I think you missed the smiley #lightmoment
Foresight..
Dahatre
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2015 12:12:28 AM

Not too shabby given the crappy bourse...
Drool Drool Drool

Value Dated: 3rd August, 2015

This week the Central Bank of Kenya offered 91-day Treasury Bills for a total of Kshs.3 Billion. The total number of bids received was 255 amounting to Kshs.1.36 Billion, representing a subscription of 45.47%. Total bids accepted amounted to Kshs. 871.2 Million.The market weighted average rate was 13.974 %, and the weighted average of accepted bids which will be applied for non-competitive bids was 11.539% up from 11.486% in the previous auction. The other auction statistics are summarised in the table below.
Impunity
#9 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2015 3:29:49 PM

Dahatre wrote:
Not too shabby given the crappy bourse...
Drool Drool Drool

Value Dated: 3rd August, 2015

This week the Central Bank of Kenya offered 91-day Treasury Bills for a total of Kshs.3 Billion. The total number of bids received was 255 amounting to Kshs.1.36 Billion, representing a subscription of 45.47%. Total bids accepted amounted to Kshs. 871.2 Million.The market weighted average rate was 13.974 %, and the weighted average of accepted bids which will be applied for non-competitive bids was 11.539% up from 11.486% in the previous auction. The other auction statistics are summarised in the table below.

18% today.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

kyukkamba
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2015 3:06:19 PM

..am out of the country and my account with CBK is frozen. Is there a way to re-activate it while am outside the country? want to invest in TB.
Ni Uhuru wa Mbesha...Niguo kana tiguo?
Impunity
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2015 10:56:06 PM

kyukkamba wrote:
..am out of the country and my account with CBK is frozen. Is there a way to re-activate it while am outside the country? want to invest in TB.

How did you know your account is frozen while mayuu?

kyukkamba
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2015 9:10:21 PM

Impunity wrote:
kyukkamba wrote:

...I sent an application for a fresh request and got a reply that the account is frozen...CBK sent me a CBK Site link on how to re-activate. but
condition I must be there... was just thinking if it's possible to do it from abroad.
Ni Uhuru wa Mbesha...Niguo kana tiguo?
Bachuma Gate
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2015 11:02:27 PM

kyukkamba wrote:

Advise name of your estate and house number I go check if your households are also intact now that you are out of the country.
DOH
Dia
#14 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 7:43:28 AM

For someone who is interested in bidding for TBills, how does one bid, through a stock broker or directly with the CBK?
Impunity
#15 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 9:21:05 AM

Dia wrote:
For someone who is interested in bidding for TBills, how does one bid, through a stock broker or directly with the CBK?

Directly at CBK or their appointed agents.

Impunity
#16 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 9:22:39 AM

kyukkamba wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kyukkamba wrote:

...I sent an application for a fresh request and got a reply that the account is frozen...CBK sent me a CBK Site link on how to re-activate. but
condition I must be there... was just thinking if it's possible to do it from abroad.

Well, this is gaamnent you are dealing with and red tape might really loooong and red...you may have no any other option but to fly home.

maka
#17 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 9:46:39 AM

Impunity wrote:
kyukkamba wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kyukkamba wrote:

Well, this is gaamnent you are dealing with and red tape might really loooong and red...you may have no any other option but to fly home.

I find that system rather hard to work with...especially the part that a mandate card should be returned physically by the applicant so guys in the diaspora cant open an account...
possunt quia posse videntur
enyands
#18 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 9:58:56 AM

maka wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kyukkamba wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kyukkamba wrote:

I find that system rather hard to work with...especially the part that a mandate card should be returned physically by the applicant so guys in the diaspora cant open an account...

Seems like you guys are threats to them . It's a dilemma coz if you use proxies like brothers and sisters,then chances are that utagongwa. It's between rock and soft ground.
Impunity
#19 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 10:27:30 AM

enyands wrote:
maka wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kyukkamba wrote:
Impunity wrote:
kyukkamba wrote:

Seems like you guys are threats to them . It's a dilemma coz if you use proxies like brothers and sisters,then chances are that utagongwa. It's between rock and soft ground.

If you use those cousins and siz sijui bros, then count that money as LOST.
There is no way you will tell them you cant pay their college fee whic is only KEs. 100K while you have Kes. 10M lying pretty in CBK accounts.

Elephant Man
#20 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 4:02:23 PM

@ cucumber...

Do you have an active account with a local commercial bank?

Speak to them about investing in T/bills on your behalf.

They charge a transaction fee of 0.15% of the face value of the T/bill or bond that they purchase on your behalf.