wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

86 Pages«<6667686970>»
Treasury Bills and Bonds
Chaka
#1341 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 7:33:08 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
Chaka wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/markets/marketnews/StanChart-eyes-investors-with-mobile-bonds-app/3815534-5459372-7s3fvi/index.html

What do the gurus prefer, invest directly with CBK or through this stanchart bank / app?

I am thinking that the Stanchart guys will pool funds from investors and then purchase long term bonds,i,e as compared to an individual investor bidding with their "small"amounts..I could be wrong though..
Monk
#1342 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 6:33:35 AM

amorphous wrote:
Taurrus wrote:
Monk wrote:
Has CBK started posting the 15% withholding Tax (WHT) on iTax? If not, and you declare interest earned from T/bills on your annual Income Tax return, how do you claim the WHT as a tax credit?

Someone please help, need to know too.

As with anything here dealing with KRA, it is hard to tell.
Technically the withholding tax is supposed to be a final tax. Especially if you are a non-resident.
My advice. Always get a TCC whether or not you file your bond income. That way you are covered each year if they lete nyoko nyoko.

In my experience, KRA is too unpredictable. If you are not declaring these earnings, some years down the line, they could come after you with penalties, further whittling down the interest earnings you thought were yours.

amorphous
#1343 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 7:17:47 AM

Monk wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Taurrus wrote:
Monk wrote:
Has CBK started posting the 15% withholding Tax (WHT) on iTax? If not, and you declare interest earned from T/bills on your annual Income Tax return, how do you claim the WHT as a tax credit?

Technically the withholding tax is supposed to be a final tax. Especially if you are a non-resident.
My advice. Always get a TCC whether or not you file your bond income. That way you are covered each year if they lete nyoko nyoko.

In my experience, KRA is too unpredictable. If you are not declaring these earnings, some years down the line, they could come after you with penalties, further whittling down the interest earnings you thought were yours.

I agree. That's where the TCC comes in. It's a legal document admissible in court showing you are tax compliant. If withholding tax is a final tax (at least for non residents) then one does not need to worry. For residents, the worry is not that you did not pay enough tax and hence accrue penalties) but how to recover the taxes paid if you overpaid. Most people do not even bother since the overpaid % is negligible at best.
New Normal!
Monk
#1344 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 7:54:47 AM

amorphous wrote:
Monk wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Taurrus wrote:
Monk wrote:

I agree. That's where the TCC comes in. It's a legal document admissible in court showing you are tax compliant. If withholding tax is a final tax (at least for non residents) then one does not need to worry. For residents, the worry is not that you did not pay enough tax and hence accrue penalties) but how to recover the taxes paid if you overpaid. Most people do not even bother since the overpaid % is negligible at best.

TCC...might try that.

On overpayment, two years in a row, they rejected my returns (sole proprietorship) which had a tax overpayment (Adv tax), forcing me to write off some of the expenses. They only seem to accept tax overpayments for limited companies.
MatataMingi
#1345 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 4:11:20 PM

maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/markets/marketnews/StanChart-eyes-investors-with-mobile-bonds-app/3815534-5459372-7s3fvi/index.html

Good progress .... I will give it a try just as I did with G- Kuze by Genghis which is crap TBH... Let's see how this goes.

@ maka.
Standard Chartered are useless when it comes to such things.After the cap on interest rates , they came up with many money making schemes to fleece some customers who were not well informed about investing.

I have been a Priority Customer for many years.
They had been calling me all the time to offer their services to buy T Bills/Bonds.
Their charge was 3% of the face value of the Bill/Bond.
Lets say, I need to buy a Bill/Bond worth 5 million. They wanted to charge 150K. I told them to go stuff it.
After they launched this new app, my relationship manager was very excited to tell me that they had reduced their charges to 2% of the face value.
I told her to check the CBK site. No response.
Taurrus
#1346 Posted : Sunday, March 01, 2020 9:30:40 PM

amorphous wrote:
I registered for TMD
Very easy process. Do not waste your time printing and filling the form like I did. The real form is 3 pages long, not the single page they post online, so just go to CBK and fill it there. Does not take more than 10 minutes.
Within 3 hours I had received a text saying I'm registered.
Using their USSD I set my PIN and logged in.
Yes, you are able to see bonds and bills on offer.Have not traded any yet.
They send you nifty little alerts whenever each coupon payment hits your account (but as expected...the alerts come hours later in the evening, not realtime.) Those alerts only say bond FXD blah blah blah has paid a coupon to account with digits ending XYXZ.
You can also check your total portfolio balance.
And query a particular bond or bill you own.
Overall this is a wonderful service. CBK finally left the dark ages. Now they should link it to secondary trading eg I assume the SC service some of you are talking about above. You still need to go through an outside party to trade your bills or bonds.
Good luck to all.

Thanks and how do you pay for the T-Bills? what am asking is it possible to pay using ones MPESA or Bank app. account.
amorphous
#1347 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2020 8:05:34 AM

Taurrus wrote:
amorphous wrote:
I registered for TMD
Very easy process. Do not waste your time printing and filling the form like I did. The real form is 3 pages long, not the single page they post online, so just go to CBK and fill it there. Does not take more than 10 minutes.
They send you nifty little alerts whenever each coupon payment hits your account (but as expected...the alerts come hours later in the evening, not realtime.) Those alerts only say bond FXD blah blah blah has paid a coupon to account with digits ending XYXZ.
Overall this is a wonderful service. CBK finally left the dark ages. Now they should link it to secondary trading eg I assume the SC service some of you are talking about above. You still need to go through an outside party to trade your bills or bonds.
Good luck to all.

Thanks and how do you pay for the T-Bills? what am asking is it possible to pay using ones MPESA or Bank app. account.

Bilas! You pay as you have always paid. For me it has been bank transfer direct into my virtual account. I assume you can also do m-pesa to virtual account if CBK has a paybill but I highly doubt this. Someone else can confirm for us.
New Normal!
Taurrus
#1348 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2020 12:43:00 PM

amorphous wrote:
Taurrus wrote:
amorphous wrote:
I registered for TMD
Good luck to all.

Bilas! You pay as you have always paid. For me it has been bank transfer direct into my virtual account. I assume you can also do m-pesa to virtual account if CBK has a paybill but I highly doubt this. Someone else can confirm for us.

Thanks , if not then for diaspora is of no use.
NewMoney
#1349 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2020 3:42:14 PM

MatataMingi wrote:
maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:

Good progress .... I will give it a try just as I did with G- Kuze by Genghis which is crap TBH... Let's see how this goes.

@ maka.
Standard Chartered are useless when it comes to such things.After the cap on interest rates , they came up with many money making schemes to fleece some customers who were not well informed about investing.

They had been calling me all the time to offer their services to buy T Bills/Bonds.
Lets say, I need to buy a Bill/Bond worth 5 million. They wanted to charge 150K. I told them to go stuff it.
After they launched this new app, my relationship manager was very excited to tell me that they had reduced their charges to 2% of the face value.

that percentage sounds okay to me considering the improved level of service and peace of mind you will get from stanchart. I would say it all depends on how much time you have in your hands and what else you have going with the bank .. for some people it's a reasonable rate
maka
#1350 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2020 9:00:56 PM

NewMoney wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:
maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:

@ maka.

that percentage sounds okay to me considering the improved level of service and peace of mind you will get from stanchart. I would say it all depends on how much time you have in your hands and what else you have going with the bank .. for some people it's a reasonable rate

That eats into your chumz we need to be efficient in such matters....CBK charge 0...Maybe you only pay RTGS fees like 5sok depending on your bank....
possunt quia posse videntur
Angelica _ann
#1351 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2020 9:14:29 PM

maka wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:
maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:

@ maka.

That eats into your chumz we need to be efficient in such matters....CBK charge 0...Maybe you only pay RTGS fees like 5sok depending on your bank....

No brainer, tbill is 9.5%pa before withholding tax then you give some 3% on the principal amount not even on interest yawa. Hata kama.

Yet you can apply, bid, get results & transfer the cash at the comfort of your office / laptop.

Why would i pay 3% of the principal amount , for what service?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Impunity
#1352 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2020 12:42:09 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
maka wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:
maka wrote:
Chaka wrote:

@ maka.

No brainer, tbill is 9.5%pa before withholding tax then you give some 3% on the principal amount not even on interest yawa. Hata kama.

Yet you can apply, bid, get results & transfer the cash at the comfort of your office / laptop.

Why would i pay 3% of the principal amount , for what service?

Me I kent....Its free with cbk,you can even used email to them.
Only extremely lazy and dumb-ass people will pay 3% on face value as fee.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

amorphous
#1353 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2020 2:59:24 PM

Impunity wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

I have a relative who is sooooooo lazy, they could not make that short trip to CBK to fill some forms, verify bank account and start bidding for free. Hata RTGS from our bank to CBK is free. Na kimpelempele mingi they went ahead and bought cbk bonds through Barclays. Can you say shaved super proper? I think out of a 12% bond they are getting 6% and are very happy about it. They keep talking about how much they are "making a good 12% without the hassle of having to walk allll the way to CBK." Bure sana.
New Normal!
Angelica _ann
#1354 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2020 3:20:44 PM

amorphous wrote:
Impunity wrote:

I have a relative who is sooooooo lazy, they could not make that short trip to CBK to fill some forms, verify bank account and start bidding for free. Hata RTGS from our bank to CBK is free. Na kimpelempele mingi they went ahead and bought cbk bonds through Barclays. Can you say shaved super proper? I think out of a 12% bond they are getting 6% and are very happy about it. They keep talking about how much they are "making a good 12% without the hassle of having to walk allll the way to CBK." Bure sana.

Oooh that is the peace of mind that the banks offer. Bure kabisa, he should have even paid you some money to run around with the forms. I did that to a friend ako majuu. Bure yeye.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ericsson
#1355 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2020 3:30:14 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Impunity wrote:

Oooh that is the peace of mind that the banks offer. Bure kabisa, he should have even paid you some money to run around with the forms. I did that to a friend ako majuu. Bure yeye.

A shareholder of Barclays/ABSA is smiling
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Monk
#1356 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2020 4:52:17 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Impunity wrote:

A shareholder of Barclays/ABSA is smiling

smile
NewMoney
#1357 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2020 9:27:38 PM

amorphous wrote:
Impunity wrote:

Guys, don't waste so much energy typing such large paragraph's just to prove you are smarter than someone else. Things are not always black and white, there are good reasons to pay the 2% or 3% especially with a word-class reputable provider like stanchart. you just DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU DON"T KNOW
Angelica _ann
#1358 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2020 9:58:54 PM

NewMoney wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Impunity wrote:

Guys, don't waste so much energy typing such large paragraph's just to prove you are smarter than someone else. Things are not always black and white, there are good reasons to pay the 2% or 3% especially with a word-class reputable provider like stanchart. you just DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU DON"T KNOW

Tell us in black & white, we are all ears!!!
Taurrus
#1359 Posted : Wednesday, March 04, 2020 7:43:23 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Impunity wrote:

That feeling of belonging!
amorphous
#1360 Posted : Wednesday, March 04, 2020 10:56:06 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:

I am all eyes as well Anxious Anxious Anxious
his answer promises to be quite entertaining Laughing out loudly
And let's remember this is a forum for serious talk about wealth!
New Normal!