wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Cost of architectural plans in Kenya
shygal
#1 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2012 4:37:51 PM

How much would it cost me to have an architectural house plan drawn?
fantony
#2 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2012 5:23:22 PM

wewe ukona ngapi?
Shefad
#3 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2012 6:11:55 PM

It depends on several items such as the plot coverage, plot ratio etc
How big is the house you want drawn
Foz00
#4 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2012 7:56:49 PM

http://www.a4architect.com/house-plans/ though numerous architects just negotiate,
Mtublack
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:14:47 PM

shygal wrote:

Strictly speaking its 6% in an ideal world
but in the real world its negotiable depending on the size of the development, the location, the level of involvement you want from the architect during inception to completion, the car you drive and the suite the client wear( think user here) and finally the negotiating power of the two parties involved
Some you win some you lose
GGK
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:53:30 PM

Mtublack wrote:
shygal wrote:

Strictly speaking its 6% in an ideal world
but in the real world its negotiable depending on the size of the development, the location, the level of involvement you want from the architect during inception to completion, the car you drive and the suite the client wear( think user here) and finally the negotiating power of the two parties involved

Applause suit? he he he
It all depends on the above factors and many more... The law prevents under-cutting but there is no ceiling on how much an architect can charge.

The scope is also important. Do you want including the BQ or just architectural drawings?
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
shygal
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:29:53 PM

What if i got a house plan from the internet, how would i get it approved? Can an architect provide the necessary stamps and also produce the blueprints for me and at what cost?
Wendz
#8 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 11:13:29 AM

shygal wrote:
What if i got a house plan from the internet, how would i get it approved? Can an architect provide the necessary stamps and also produce the blueprints for me and at what cost?

The danger of just downloading the plan from the internet is because you may not find one that completely suits you and if you do, you still need an architect to tell you if it fits in your plot - eg, the design vs the position of the plots, the direction of the sun & wind which will determine where some of the house features may be put etc. With your own house, try as much as possible not to cut corners... it might come back to bite real hard!

What I'd advise is you can get ideas from the internet, but model it to have your own house. A professional architect may be insulted to just have to reproduce the same thing from someone else which will not necessarily cut costs as such... You could consider using a draftsman maybe.

@GGK, how much would it cost to get a BQ if one has the plan drawn by someone else?
a4architect.com
#9 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 12:10:01 PM

The full architectural service costs 6% of the total cost of construction.
This is offered by any registered architect.
There are numerous droughts men who offer the services too. The difference is in that with the droughts-men, you will not get your house personalized to your tastes and budget. It wil most likely be someone else's taste and budget. There is a perception that using a droughts man is cheaper but not the case. Drouhtsme offer you only a partial service e.g scheme design stage which is approx. 1% of the total cost of construction e.g for a 3m house, this will be 30k. Architects offer you the full service i.e scheme design plus other services e.g detailed design, supervision. Its possible to negotiate with an architect to only offer you the same level of service as the droughts man. At this level, he will be much cheaper than the droughts man but will require signing of documentation showing the level of services offered in-case issues arise later on. Droughts-men have no responsibility to the people of the Govt. of Kenya in-case issues arise as opposed to architects who will have to answer hence more careful.
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
a4architect.com
#10 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 12:14:52 PM

Fees breakdown as per CAP 525 of the laws of Kenya are here
http://www.a4architect.c...bout-us/fees-breakdown/
The beauty of this is that contracts between house owner and architect are as per law hence easily solved incase of disputes. I have seen many a house owner lose their life and limb from an an architectural contract with a quack gone bad. These guys deal mungiki style incase they feel the deal is not being fullfiled well. With an arhitect, all you need is to walk into AAK offices or just re-read CAP 525 available at Govt printer and resolve your issues.
limanika
#11 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 2:14:56 PM

Do not yet understand why people do not value the input of professionals in the construction industry. A house plan is the most important element in a building, yet among the cheapest. Those who are doing houses for the first time should talk to those who have been there before. Ignore professional advice and later on pay an arm and a leg to correct mistakes, or you live with a poorly designed house for ever. Why would you pay someone for supplying sand but have no interest in paying the Architect? This means people do not value professional work. Maybe our professional bodies have also not done a good job lobbying the government to tighten the standards. @A4architect.. what can you guys do to sort this mess for posterity?
shygal
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:39:34 AM

Ok, thanx for the advice you've all given me. Anyone who knows where i can get a draughts-man?
Eddy
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:39:39 PM

shygal wrote:
Ok, thanx for the advice you've all given me. Anyone who knows where i can get a draughts-man?

haha......haha.... i love this, who said draughtsmen are not professionals? i need one as well....Applause smile
josiah33
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:44:55 PM

Is it true that those guys at the council's planning department can draw house plans for you?
Eddy
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:09:43 PM

josiah33 wrote:
Is it true that those guys at the council's planning department can draw house plans for you?

This guys are professional architects/QS/Engineers and just like all other professionals moonlight why not them......with the added benefit that the approvals are made a bit faster.
a4architect.com
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:40:39 AM

The service they will give you i.e outline proposal is worth 1% of the total estimated cost http://www.a4architect.c...bout-us/fees-breakdown/
Its therefore a psychological assumption that the design is cheaper using them since if you approach any independent architect and demand for the same level of service, they will give it to you at the same price or even cheaper.
The same council guys will still look for the independent registered architect for his signature which they pay so with the independent architect, he can offer the service at this outline proposal level at a lesser cost since he does not need to pay any other third party for signatures.
Assuming a house costs 2m to construct, 1% of this is 20k.The council guy will charge you this plus another say 10 k on top for the architect's signature while the architect will charge you only the 20k for the same level of service.
bigbossman
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:34:24 AM

a4architect.com wrote:
The service they will give you i.e outline proposal is worth 1% of the total estimated cost http://www.a4architect.c...bout-us/fees-breakdown/
Its therefore a psychological assumption that the design is cheaper using them since if you approach any independent architect and demand for the same level of service, they will give it to you at the same price or even cheaper.
The same council guys will still look for the independent registered architect for his signature which they pay so with the independent architect, he can offer the service at this outline proposal level at a lesser cost since he does not need to pay any other third party for signatures.
Assuming a house costs 2m to construct, 1% of this is 20k.The council guy will charge you this plus another say 10 k on top for the architect's signature while the architect will charge you only the 20k for the same level of service.

What's an outline proposal? From your link it doesn't seem to include the actual drawings and going by that it means the council guys will not produce the drawings for you. Some of us are on a tight budget and plan to build our houses in phases and we only want a proper architectural house plan and approval. The actual building of the simple house can be done by a local fundi. Say i was planning to build a 3 bedroomed house that's between 1500 and 2000 square feets, how much would the drawing cost? If you could also give me a rough estimate of what i would be expected to cough up as cost of approval for the 1500-2000 fts.sq simple house i'd be very much delighted.
LIFE IS SO GOOD
Crown Berger
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:33:38 PM

bigbossman wrote:
a4architect.com wrote:

What's an outline proposal? From your link it doesn't seem to include the actual drawings and going by that it means the council guys will not produce the drawings for you. Some of us are on a tight budget and plan to build our houses in phases and we only want a proper architectural house plan and approval. The actual building of the simple house can be done by a local fundi. Say i was planning to build a 3 bedroomed house that's between 1500 and 2000 square feets, how much would the drawing cost? If you could also give me a rough estimate of what i would be expected to cough up as cost of approval for the 1500-2000 fts.sq simple house i'd be very much delighted.

A lot of residential houses in Kenya are built by local fundis. Some do a great job but others just get it wrong. I am familiar with houses that start developing cracks on the walls less than a year after completion. Big projects are supervised by architects but maybe there should be an association of fundis that can set standards and accredit good reputable fundis. This can give the kawaida mawananchi on a tight budget who is looking to build his house confidence and peace of mind
josiah33
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:39:22 PM

Crown Berger wrote:

A lot of residential houses in Kenya are built by local fundis. Some do a great job but others just get it wrong. I am familiar with houses that start developing cracks on the walls less than a year after completion. Big projects are supervised by architects but maybe there should be an association of fundis that can set standards and accredit good reputable fundis. This can give the kawaida mawananchi on a tight budget who is looking to build his house confidence and peace of mind

That's a great idea.
Mtublack
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:46:54 PM

josiah33 wrote:

Most of those guys you meet in approval sections in most councils are planners not architect or engineers whose training has nothing to do with designing of a house but physical resources utilization and allocation. but mostly they will get you somebodys plans

thats why the operate in such a rigid manner
Some you win some you lose