wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
@TB : K-Rep Bank's 2008 Story
ecstacy
#1 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2009 7:29:00 AM

K-Rep Bank's Business Model
Basically target low-end market client who will walk into a bank,present a group of ten fellow commoners as loan guarantors to borrow a few hundreds of Kenya Shilling. No other security,just use individuals to secure one another when seeking a loan of a few hundreds.

Strategy Shift
After 10 years of steady growth,management felt in 2007 it was time to introduce top-level changes to engineer the next phase of growth for the micro-finance bank and address internal weaknesses.

Loss- The Mistakes & Weaknesses
1. They poached close to a whole dept of staff from a high-end bank. These staff were ineffective largely due to their previous background. A lot of changes including the hiring have had to be reversed.

2. Hiring of these purged top managers led to a near doubling of staff cost,from Ksh. 388M in 2007 to Ksh. 617M in 2008 with nothing in performance to cover for this.

3. The loan structures,groups of slum residents guaranteeing one another,was dismantled very early into the tribal based PEV...

4. K-Rep were stuck with a huge non-performing loans portfolio..with no security for it. Non-performing loans tripled from Ksh. 430M in 2007 to 1.1Billion in 2008 against a net book loan of Ksh. 5.9Billion. The bank's provision for doubtful debt increased from Ksh. 65M to a high of 337M in 2008.

5. Record inflation driven by sky rocketing food prices negatively impacting to the low-end market.

The Future
1. In what could also be a vote of confidence in the current management,shareholders have committed to inject over Ksh. 1 Billion as new capital to help recapitalise the banks balance sheet. Ksh. 400M has already been paid up.

2. Ksh 30M worth of technical assistance has been provided via seconding consultants to help the bank in its turnaround strategy and management training.

3. A move to also target the middle and high-end market in order to reduce operational risk is underway. The bank's HQ was already relocated to Kilimani from Kawangware as part of this pre-loss strategy.

4. The resilience of the lower end customer is noteworthy despite current economic conditions. K-Rep has decided to retain this as its bedrock as it moves further into the upper classes. A return to profitability is expected in 2009.

According to Mr Kimathi Mutua,K-Rep Group MD,these problems combined to result in a loss of KSh. 472M,its first since inception but as indicated above,he is optimistic about the future.

Ref: Summation of feature article,Daily Nation,Tuesday March 31st 2009.
dsktop
#2 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2009 7:47:00 AM

Victims of circumstance & an almost backfiring strategy....but they still have the feel of a micro-finance institution....change of name maybe will help as part of their turnaround strategy.......wait n see I guess

its never good till its gone!!!!
Jitahidi
#3 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2009 8:10:00 AM

To me,there is no future there; the only thing left is just a shell of micro-finance business. The strategy is simple: overhaul of its leadership and bring in fresh ideas.

Failure is an event and not a person
Jitahidi
#4 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2009 8:11:00 AM

To me,there is no future there; the only thing left is just a shell of micro-finance business. The strategy is simple: overhaul of its leadership and bring in fresh ideas.

Failure is an event and not a person
Tusker Baridi
#5 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2009 11:33:00 PM

Very nice ecstacy,now it seems to me that except for the increased staff costs,those other events are not exclusive to K-Rep. In fact,I dare say that Equity is more exposed to the stated issues than K-Rep is,simply because Equity over-extended.

It seems to me Equity and co have been doing what Citi and co did in the US,loan out cheap money to every Wanjiku,Atieno and Kiptoo without serious due dilligence. For example,Equity dishes out loans secured by payroll,what's gonna happen when the govt and the private sector starts laying off these loan holders? Oh and did I mention that farmers who received loans from Equity are experiencing drought and a drop in commodity prices. How about that little incidence in Machakos whereby a competitor's rumor made created a run on the bank.

I think most SK are yet to learn a very fundamental investment lesson, you dont buy the best companies,you buy the best priced company. Equity might be the best bank in Kenya,but it sure aint the best priced when it comes to value. It is way overpriced.
The General
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:03:00 PM

@ TB,well put.

The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
Mainat
#7 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 5:04:00 AM

But is Equity the only bank with this type of exposure to the Kenyan economy? Nay,in its case,it now has revenue generation from Ug unlike BBK,Stanchart and kadhalika.
Btw,i fear that some of the wajuaji on this forum are so guilty of overanalysis and a spouting BS of the most unadulterated kind. Imagine somebody who bought Eb at Ksh93 a month ago reading this thread. Or take my case,I bought the share in Dec 2006,and word for word the naysers (probably same characters),were saying the same thing about EB's strategy in Dec 2006. While I've not always been happy about some of its corporate actions (e.g. the spilt),I've never doubted its strategic superiority. If other so-called great banks were going to eat into its market,si they've had 5 yrs?

My advice,buy and eat from EB or shut up and go buy your boring Ebay shares or whatever.

www.mjengakenya.blogspot.com
Sehemu ndio nyumba
The General
#8 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 8:40:00 AM

@mainat,calm down,lets break it down with an example:

Who does BBK give out loans to? and,who does Equity give out loans to?

In a scenario where the economy slows down,who has customers who can continue paying up?

One bank has a higher risk than the other.

smooth
#9 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 9:36:00 AM

True ..Gen. i view model of commercial bank of africa superior than most local banks,it's efficiency and flexibilty has attracted better rewarding clients and would sustain itself in the market longer despite the melt down.

Smooth
VituVingiSana
#10 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 12:44:00 PM

EB may be the best bank but it has to be at a decent price... Yes,93/- was a good price. I will look into EB when the price falls to sub-10.

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
ecstacy
#11 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 12:52:00 PM

smooth
#12 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 3:55:00 PM

Since equity was introduced at shs 70 to NSE,it has been the most volatile stock in that it would rise and fall with or without fundamentals . it has been split (Think this to be 2nd time) and at one time issued share bonus .- i suspect this being a trick for it to be attractive hence it has resulted to a good number of persons benefiting from the price cycles and others lossing at wrong entry points .

I would equally wait for it to hit shs 7 to be convinced to buy,those supporting a buy now are actually selling off.

Smooth
Tusker Baridi
#13 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 4:14:00 PM

Mainat has always been emotional about Equity from the get go. His investment strategy on Equity is: see no evil,hear no evil and say no evil.

My stock pick are boring? How's your Kenya Capital Investment Group portfolio doing? I guess down by 55% since you were so smart as to buy the NSE at its peak.
Mainat
#14 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 6:09:00 PM

General,I thought you had a better understanding of how to analyse a bank’s banking book. Please start with a detailed read of the 2008,7 and 6 annual reports for BBK and Equity. Then we can discuss. Let me know if you need electronic copies.
VV-price is perception-based i.e. all about your anticipated return. When I bought at Ksh134,naysers said it was expensive.
TBsmile I see I touched a raw nerve-pole sana. Seriously,weren’t you tribal bigot number 1 on this forum in January 2008? I can see how you debate. Non-factually. Its easy,but I won’t indulge you. My Equity investment policy-see profits and more profits.

Sehemu ndio nyumba
Tusker Baridi
#15 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 8:14:00 PM

@Mainat,please spare me the hypocricy,when I critisized the blatant stealing of the 2007 elections by a cabal of Kikuyu mafia I was branded a tribalist. today when Karua resigns coz the same mafia will not reform Kenya,you and your fellow Kikuyus laud her as a heroine. Please spare us your ukumbavu.

We saw in Kibaki the inept,tribalist,corrupt and anti-reform back in 2003,but your tribalism blinded you from seing the same. And today your kinfolk are crying reform and calling Kibaki inept and corrupt,bure kabisa.

Talking about investments,no wonder you eat,sleep and dream Equity coz its the only stock in your portfolio that's not in the red.
Mainat
#16 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 9:43:00 PM

Maombi tafadhali. Looks like the tribalist is back. Like I said,you do ignorant too well. You don't nothing about Equity,you spout ignorance,you spout ignorance about Kikuyus. As for MainaT,you don't know nothing about him.
Why do you bother with Kenya or NSE anyway? I thought you are an American who trades big on Wall Street? Ama the blue-eyed boys on Wall St don't get your ignorance either?

Sehemu ndio nyumba
Tusker Baridi
#17 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 10:09:00 PM

Out of respect for ecstacy,I will not derail this thread to engage you in a slugfest coz I know that's what kumbaffus like you do to distract from the real issue at hand,which is Equity. Obviously this discource on Equity is too intellectual for you being such a sycophantic Mwangi's whore.So concider yourself ignored by me until you have something worthwhile to contribute on this forum other than emotion filled tirade.
The General
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2009 6:44:00 AM

okay lets withdraw the cane and get back to class:

I think appreciating risk,being aware of it and respecting it,makes you a good trader. It teaches you to be disciplined. Discipline allows you to trade effectively. You can take your ego out of it. You can go wrong 60,70 percent of the time and still make a lot of money. If you ignore the discipline of managing risk,you have to be right 80 percent of the time or more,and I don't know anyone who's that good. - Larry Rosenberg

ecstacy
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2009 1:53:00 PM

Away from unsubstantiated claims or tribal affiliations,reflect:

· Which bank has turned out to be the most innovative bank in Africa,not East Africa,not Kenya..Africa?

· Does one invest with the innovative bank or the local ones copying its model,some woefully?

· Is the bank's target regional market saturated,really? When that ever happens,if it ever did,wouldn't the same if not worse,affect its laggard competitors?

· Doesn't regional expansion of a listed NSE company reduce political risk unlike for most NSE companies?

K-Rep comes nowhere in mind. Anyone in Kenya can attest to all banks going all and out to offer lending,including the 'conservatives' like StanChart,in the loan for payslip fashion condemned by TextBook ‘bankers’. I put my money where my mouth is; hence buying Equity Bank is a no brainer.

Equity Bank has a very long African,not Kenyan,'shelf life'.

Pricing will continue to anticipate and react positively to its strategic moves and past success.

The battle has shifted to beyond borders...Equity Bank has just but started…

Tusker Baridi
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:51:00 PM

@ecstacy

Please tame your enthusiasm,Equity banking the previously unbankable and reducing bank fees is not that innovative,in fact I dare call it reckless in this type of economic environment. Like Buffett says,'when the tide recedes we see who's been swimming naked'. Equity's model rewards them handsomely when the economy is booming,but likewise it will punish them severely when the economy goes south. Its like leveraging,the sword cuts both ways.

You still havent addressed my concerns about the effects of the slowdown in the economy on Equity's defauilt rate,how does their risk management mitigate the added risk of default of the previously unbankable?