wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Kodak files for bankruptcy
jaggernaut
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:49:41 PM

Is this the end of this iconic 130yr old camera giant? Ironically despite developing the first digital camera, they were slow to adapt to the digital era. Apparently they thought digital cameras would cannibalise their core film business. And the rest is history. The Kodak story should be a lesson to tech based businesses. Reminds me of Nokia whose market share is shrinking due to their slowness to adapt to the smartphone era.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16625725
hisah
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:56:46 PM

Expected. They have been in the red for a long time...
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
Gatheuzi
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:18:42 PM

Kodak has secured $950M from citigroup to keep it going. The loan and bankruptcy protection from U.S. trade creditors may give Kodak the time it needs to find buyers for some of its 1,100 digital patents, the key to its remaining value, and to reshape its business while continuing to pay its 17,000 workers

At end September, the group had total assets of $5.1 billion and liabilities of $6.75 billion.

http://www.reuters.com/a...k-idUSTRE80I08G20120119
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
Cde Monomotapa
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:40:29 PM

Sad
Nabwire
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:43:25 PM

Sensationalism sells. Kodak filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which is basically to protect it while it undergoes the restructuring process. Had it filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy then I would be worried coz that would mean liquidation of its assets. Lets not forget that Kodak has alot of patents.
That said, I am glad I sold off two thirds of my holdings on Tuesday. I would love to say its coz Benjamin Graham whispered in my ear or that I can time the market, but alas, it was just sheer luck as I needed the cash ASAP. I will leave the one third intact and watch closely coz my gut assumption is that this company will rise from the ashes. A credible source tells me that I should position to buy once the restructuring process is complete, big risk, big reward.
Drunkard
#6 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 12:25:39 AM

@Nabwire,
First Kodak has lost 1007% from the same time last year (01/18/2011). It is has been a bad investment, even short selling it wouldn't make anyone money. You can get fired for even appearing to suggest that it could be a good investment. Get over it!
hisah
#7 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 5:28:18 AM

@Nabwire - goodluck in bucketloads... This one I'll group it with KE's eveready aka paka. Lotsa dead cat bounces, but the end result will be down to the pit... Once again, goodluck.
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
hisah
#8 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 6:41:11 AM

@Nabwire - also check this out - http://www2.isda.org/new...dak-company-credit-event
Insurgent
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:09:11 AM

jaggernaut wrote:
Is this the end of this iconic 130yr old camera giant? Ironically despite developing the first digital camera, they were slow to adapt to the digital era. Apparently they thought digital cameras would cannibalise their core film business. And the rest is history. The Kodak story should be a lesson to tech based businesses. Reminds me of Nokia whose market share is shrinking due to their slowness to adapt to the smartphone era.

It is a sign that Britons are finally loosing dominance in invention and commerce. They used to depend on looting other people's resources to enrich themselves but now are coming to the end of the road.

"One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Rev Canon Karanja.

mkeiy
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:28:59 AM

Insurgent wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:

It is a sign that Britons are finally loosing dominance in invention and commerce. They used to depend on looting other people's resources to enrich themselves but now are coming to the end of the road.

British?Sad
Cde Monomotapa
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:21:38 AM

Nah, BritiCH! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Mblue
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:08:21 PM

jaggernaut wrote:

They should have read a book called "Who Moved My Cheese."
"..one is only poor only if they choose to be.."-Dolly Partron
Nabwire
#13 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 8:49:33 PM

Nabwire
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:01:13 AM

I'm loving this tug of war! In this case, fahali wawili ama watano wakipigana, Kodak gets a smilimg moment! Let the wars begin...

http://seekingalpha.com/...ak-auction?source=yahoo