wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

ROLLOVER IS IT WORTH IT?
lovely2010
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:07:36 PM

I understand that rollover saves one money and time doing efts or buying bankers cheque but i was wondering, I have never done rollover before when purchasing tbills, I have a number of questions to ask:

if I request for rollover when purchasing, after maturity do I keep on repeating requesting for a rollover when placing another order with the same amount?

Assume I have 1200000 and I divide it in 12 portions, each week I purchase tbills worth 100000, will it make sense or will it be better I purchase bills worth 1200000 all at once?

For Sport
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:31:56 PM

If you have 1.2m, why invest 100k and leave 1.1. m sitting in the bank to be invested weekly at the rate of 100k per week? For 12 weeks (3 months)! With that strategy, you’ll be investing the last 400k in the 3rd month...effectively losing out on interest you could have earned now. A bird in the hand.......Split the amount but not into 12 bits...way too much work – considering you’ll have to place your bid every week, then pay up (depending on the mode of payment)

I dont stockpile cash waiting for the right time to invest. Assuming you’re saving continuously, make a habbit of putting whatever “idle” cash you have in your account in a short term T/Bill while deciding what to do with it.

Rolling over. They’ll usually notify you a week to maturity and ask whether you wish to roll over. I prefer rolling over when they ask since it allows me to decide whether there’s nothing better to invest in. Should you wish to top up the amount you simply indicate the top up amount on the same form.
Elephant Man
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:37:30 PM

When t/bill rates are rising (like at present), then rolling over is definitely worth it (at least you save the time and money in obtaining a bankers cheque or RTGS).

You can even top up a rollover! Say you have 100k maturing, you can apply for say 150k, and pay the difference required.

Breaking up the amounts will depend on the rate of increase of the discount week to week. If the increase in rate is extremely small, or starting to trend on the negative side, then a lump sum makes sense (you may even want to consider 182 or even 364 day auctions). If, however, the week on week trend is say greater than 1%, then it pays to buy in bits.

The National Debt people at CBK are usually very very helpful with advice.

Be blessed in your investing...