wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Harsh business style of management
muganda
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:28:14 AM

Gosh @Sure! What do you do for a living? Are you in Nairobi - tremendous insight.

Sure wrote:
Its all about the business culture that you promote. If I join a company where ppl work very hard and get promoted on merit, I will try to outperform the best.

A good manager however needs to know how to motivate his staff. Reward and punishment, praise and admonish, set goals, the higher the goals are met, the higher the bonus and rewards.

Create office politics to work in the right direction. Generate conflicts that lead to good performance. I.e., let the employee know that if he outshines the supervisor, the supervisor will be fired. Then, tell the supervisor that the employee has been reporting what the supervisor has been doing. Fix the supervisor by allowing him to steal something from the company and you record it as a point of dismissal but tell him his performance will determine if he goes or not. At that point, Kazi itafanywa mpaka moshi itoke.

Shouting bosses and supervisors are simple idiots who do not know how to manage people for optimum output. In most cases where the boss is harsh, the work being done is usually menial or requires low IQ personnel who have to be herded like cows. The pay is also poor and the company in most cases does not raise enough revenue for expansion and growth. Bosses in such scenarios are also low IQ busy bodies who should not have been in charge of human beings in the first place.

Appraisal, proper pay based on performance, qualified personnel who know what they are supposed to do, etc tends to work better than screaming managers or bosses.

Screaming bosses tend to overwork themselves as they have to show the employees what to do regularly as the employees can not think on their own. That is why Muindi na Mkamba seem to prefer this model. That is why Mkikuyu na mjaruo make a good coalition government.

muganda
#22 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:50:08 AM

One last thought... Out of interest, I see there are six leadership styles and studies show the more styles a leader exhibits the better.

Ranked according to working atmosphere
1. Authoritative "Come with me"
2. Affiliative "People come first"
3. Democratic "What do you think?"
4. Coaching "Try this"
5. Pacesetting "Do as I do, now"
6. Coercive "Do what I tell you"

Leadership that Gets Results, Daniel Goleman

I also thought of leadership style as a function of personality but now read it is a strategic choice. Best leaders are skilled at several of the styles and have flexibility to switch as circumstances dictate.

Leaders who have mastered four or more - especially the authoritative, democratic, affiliative, and coaching styles - have the very best climate and business performance.

tony stark
#23 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:46:34 PM

muganda wrote:
Gosh @Sure! What do you do for a living? Are you in Nairobi - tremendous insight.

Sure wrote:
Its all about the business culture that you promote. If I join a company where ppl work very hard and get promoted on merit, I will try to outperform the best.

A good manager however needs to know how to motivate his staff. Reward and punishment, praise and admonish, set goals, the higher the goals are met, the higher the bonus and rewards.

Create office politics to work in the right direction. Generate conflicts that lead to good performance. I.e., let the employee know that if he outshines the supervisor, the supervisor will be fired. Then, tell the supervisor that the employee has been reporting what the supervisor has been doing. Fix the supervisor by allowing him to steal something from the company and you record it as a point of dismissal but tell him his performance will determine if he goes or not. At that point, Kazi itafanywa mpaka moshi itoke.

Shouting bosses and supervisors are simple idiots who do not know how to manage people for optimum output. In most cases where the boss is harsh, the work being done is usually menial or requires low IQ personnel who have to be herded like cows. The pay is also poor and the company in most cases does not raise enough revenue for expansion and growth. Bosses in such scenarios are also low IQ busy bodies who should not have been in charge of human beings in the first place.

Appraisal, proper pay based on performance, qualified personnel who know what they are supposed to do, etc tends to work better than screaming managers or bosses.

Screaming bosses tend to overwork themselves as they have to show the employees what to do regularly as the employees can not think on their own. That is why Muindi na Mkamba seem to prefer this model. That is why Mkikuyu na mjaruo make a good coalition government.

Does franchising work in Kenya or a form of offering the employees a share in the business work as a way to improve employee output.

I am wondering on how do small business owners manage their business before the business can afford their FTE?
tony stark
#24 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 1:51:04 PM

Are there any successful remote managers in Wazuan. I know there are many horror stories and they usually relate to
1. Money was stolen
2. The employee was a bongo lala
3. Employee was selling their good and products and your stock was just sitting there
4. Frivolous charges eg. Extra spares za matatu and lorry, ama extra cement for mjengo etc.
5. Claimining nothing is happening when he is not there doing the work you are paying him to do.
etc.

The horror stories are many but I wonder is there a successful remote manager on Wazua and what would you describe worked. Was it the systems? Hiring right etc etc.
timuka
#25 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:09:51 PM

tony stark wrote:
Are there any successful remote managers in Wazuan. I know there are many horror stories and they usually relate to
1. Money was stolen
2. The employee was a bongo lala
3. Employee was selling their good and products and your stock was just sitting there
4. Frivolous charges eg. Extra spares za matatu and lorry, ama extra cement for mjengo etc.
5. Claimining nothing is happening when he is not there doing the work you are paying him to do.
etc.

The horror stories are many but I wonder is there a successful remote manager on Wazua and what would you describe worked. Was it the systems? Hiring right etc etc.

I am one, partially though. I say partially because I pass by the business premises 4 - 5 times a week. But here are some of the control systems that have worked in my case:

1. Trustworthy manager - I got someone I have known for many years as the lead manager. I had to go through multiple iterations on the other employees before I could get a perfect fit (countless headaches). But the team I have currently is doing fine and has been there for a year now without any signs of going anywhere any time soon.

2. Regular interactions with employees through meetings, impromptu visits etc. They own the vision of the business and they know what their role is or ought to be for the overall success of the business.

2. Age of the employees. In the above mentioned iterations, I came to learn that age of the employees plays a big role. Older employees tend to be more mature in their approach to life and more stable. More so people with families to take care of.

3. Rewards and incentive schemes to employees. Generally in the area I operate, I pay higher salaries than most of the neighbouring businesses - something the neighbours are not very happy about. In addition, I have a separate bonus schemes pegged on performance.

(all above relates to employees, they can make or break a business)

3. Book keeping - top notch. It is my everyday routine early in the morning. They send the books at end of day (digitally) and early in the morning I convert (update) them to proper IFRS compliant books. I bet I have a better set of financial statements that a majority of the corporates around. I have passed some of the book keeping skills to employees over time, and I continue to do so. I maintain an hawk eye on the numbers and over time I have mastered the trends and patterns, by just looking at the numbers I can tell where things are going wrong. And they know am a numbers guy, they do not mess up with me when it comes to numbers.

4. Feedback channels. I source for information about the ongoings at the business from multiple sources. I take feedback very seriously and action it, both positive and negative. This includes: self periodical visits (4-5 times a week); CUSTOMERS; employees; neighbouring business; suppliers; and my boys who do clandestine CSI-like visits from time to time etc,

5. Real-time live feed on my phone. I have installed high quality HD CCTV system with a live real time feed to my phone. The system also has a play-back functionality that I can use via the phone remotely without necessarily going at the business premises. This way, I am able to see what is happening (or happened), as and when I need to. Lastly and most importantly, the employees know there is a third eye watching over them , a psychological weapon.
tony stark
#26 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:44:50 PM

timuka wrote:

I am one, partially though. I say partially because I pass by the business premises 4 - 5 times a week. But here are some of the control systems that have worked in my case:

1. Trustworthy manager - I got someone I have known for many years as the lead manager. I had to go through multiple iterations on the other employees before I could get a perfect fit (countless headaches). But the team I have currently is doing fine and has been there for a year now without any signs of going anywhere any time soon.

2. Regular interactions with employees through meetings, impromptu visits etc. They own the vision of the business and they know what their role is or ought to be for the overall success of the business.

2. Age of the employees. In the above mentioned iterations, I came to learn that age of the employees plays a big role. Older employees tend to be more mature in their approach to life and more stable. More so people with families to take care of.

3. Rewards and incentive schemes to employees. Generally in the area I operate, I pay higher salaries than most of the neighbouring businesses - something the neighbours are not very happy about. In addition, I have a separate bonus schemes pegged on performance.

(all above relates to employees, they can make or break a business)

3. Book keeping - top notch. It is my everyday routine early in the morning. They send the books at end of day (digitally) and early in the morning I convert (update) them to proper IFRS compliant books. I bet I have a better set of financial statements that a majority of the corporates around. I have passed some of the book keeping skills to employees over time, and I continue to do so. I maintain an hawk eye on the numbers and over time I have mastered the trends and patterns, by just looking at the numbers I can tell where things are going wrong. And they know am a numbers guy, they do not mess up with me when it comes to numbers.

4. Feedback channels. I source for information about the ongoings at the business from multiple sources. I take feedback very seriously and action it, both positive and negative. This includes: self periodical visits (4-5 times a week); CUSTOMERS; employees; neighbouring business; suppliers; and my boys who do clandestine CSI-like visits from time to time etc,

5. Real-time live feed on my phone. I have installed high quality HD CCTV system with a live real time feed to my phone. The system also has a play-back functionality that I can use via the phone remotely without necessarily going at the business premises. This way, I am able to see what is happening (or happened), as and when I need to. Lastly and most importantly, the employees know there is a third eye watching over them , a psychological weapon.

@Timuka you are my hero.
This is exactly what I wanted to know and it's even encouraging to me to learn that there is a learning curve especially with the manager.
I had never actually thought about he age of the employees. I generally hire young men because they are cheap and can learn quickly but they have burnt me a lot. Wonderful insight.
I am a numbers guy but personally do not enjoy documentation. Lesson, bite the bullet and document everything then review daily.
I also love how you are using technology to augment the basics and it is not an end in itself.
Boss, great pointers. I am sure there are many people reading your post and agreeing with your post.

Any other Wazuan with interesting tidbits on how to do remote management.
tony stark
#27 Posted : Monday, November 06, 2017 3:10:05 PM

Are there any other successful remote managers on Wazua?
Wazuans have great ideas and there is no shortage of ideas on Wazua but I feel that there is a lot of mental masturbation going on and a lot less business activity (Excluding stock investment)
To the successful business people on Wazua how do you go about setting up your business?
@Timuka gave great advice above but I am fishing for, and wishing, for some more insight from the other successful Wazua business people.