wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Understanding financial statements.
jammo
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 6:27:00 AM

To determine whether a company is better/worse off compared to previous year...

-strong balance sheet-allows flexibility to finance it's growth..ask any smart fellow..'is this balance sheet strong..balance sheet weak?' ..insist for either yes or no. No 'but's heh! heh! heh!

Anyway,increase in debt vs decrease in cash n cash items represents weak balance sheet. Cash items exceedin long term debt is a beautiful beautiful sign of strong!

-Growin revenues..at a healthy rate..implies good demand for products

-Net income and earnings per share is rising

-Margins are rising

-if margins not rising,they r steady... My approach..my own..inspired by risk..company must have a growth margin in earnings of at very least... 15%

Gross margin (revenue minus direct costs)..reflects on how efficient company is producing goods.

-number of outstandin share is not increasing significantly. ..thus why my opinions equity split,nic bonus,coop listin 2004 tend to negative.

-cash reserves are sufficient to finance growth,cover short term debt,finance long term debt costs,pay dividends,make acquisitions etc... Athi River mining is really scaryin me on this..negative cash and cash equivalent figures!

-company managed to generate cash rather than consume....no comment.

-growth in accounts receivable and increase in inventory are in line with growth in sales! ..increase in both inventory n account receivables are so not a good sign!!

-profitability should not be impacted an excessive or stupid foreign currency debt! Wonder whether anyone actually is buying into portland? mmmh.... I wonder.

Year to year comparison.

So,now u see why equity is an automatic buy...ignorin the share debacle..but fun to speculate!

DISCLAIMER: This is the opinion of one Jammo,CFA,CPA,Opinionated and Loud,based in nairobi. Whilst care has been taken in compiling the data to be as most factual n logical,he doesn't accept any responsibility of accuracy or completeness of info contained herein..neither does he purport to be a genius!
The General
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:59:00 AM

@ jammo,kindly comment on the QUALITY of loans EB has.

The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
mlefu
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:06:00 AM

disclaimer!!!!... thats a new one

muthomi mugi aiikagia maitho kabere...
jammo
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:18:00 AM

@Generali...doing so. Meanwhile..disclaimer. LOL!!!

DISCLAIMER: This is the opinion of one Jammo,CFA,CPA,Opinionated and Loud,based in nairobi. Whilst care has been taken in compiling the data to be as most factual n logical,he doesn't accept any responsibility of accuracy or completeness of info contained herein..neither does he purport to be a genius!
VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:15:00 AM

How will EB manage thru the loan defaults if all chama members have borrowed from EB thus no-one has money to repay EB coz all guarantors are also EB customers?

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
jammo
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:39:00 AM

My goodness!! Dude? No comment at all.

The General
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:44:00 AM

i suggest we drop this thread.

Raheel
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 7:47:00 PM

@ Jammo,

Fabulous Job,clear concise and to the point,brilliant piece,for a speculator your analysis speaks of the depth of analaysis of a long term investor.

I completely agree with your analysis on ARM.

Based on your analysis of financial statements,I venture to guess your top six counters are as follows:

Equity,KCB,Kengen (discounting the yen loan),Kenya RE and CMC ??

Safcom,EABL,Barclays,BAT and NIC are some that meet some of your analysis,true??

Personally,in my analysis in addition to what your criteria is,I take a step further and project the income statement
and Balance sheet. This gives me a rough idea on the projected cashflow,giving me a guess as to what to pick strictly on long term,Equity is looking damn good.

Raheel

Raheel