wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<12345>»
Weddings: The newest form of exploitation
Nabwire
#41 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:27:09 PM

Burning Spear wrote:
This is absolutely true. The super cons are ur friends. I have been conned severally by friends and those village mates who look for your contacts even from your parents back in the village.

The most painful is of a lady friend who invited me coz we were drinking buddies,I felt touched and gave 10k to their useless goat eating even when I ate only one piece of meat (cant remember whether it was from actual goat or a maasai zebu) and the rest was muchere na mukimo. After their weeding,the stupid couples separated 18 days later ...yes 18 days later. My 10k was gone and a duvets gift which had cost me 7k.

Ata leo hiyo 17k inaniuma even if it sounds small to some.

I will personally never do a wedding and if Mrs Spear want one,my church (Roman Catholic) allows 4 pax ie couplee and witnesses which can be done one early morning.Alternatively, AG yuko but I will never get stressed by things that dont add value in my life.

LOL thats funny, I guess early morning is to ensure no guests!!!! Hata mama na baba??? Ama they are the witnesses....Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Tommy
#42 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:50:45 PM

glad most of you share my view.
Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It happens every day. ~Albert Camus, The Fall, 1956
Lolest!
#43 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2011 10:56:58 PM

Im shocked that over 40 posts there is no dissenting voice. Wish wazua could be lyk that on politics. I attend comms for friends n workmates n i dont think its a bad thing. It is part of todays Kenyan culture! It is among the few times when people meet and plan stuff together. Good for reunions etc. Many people earn less than 100k pm n yet want to hold a nice(not xtravagant) wedding. They want the parents to b involved n friends too. How will they afford it with a salo of 40k? Society came up with these comms which are much like merry go rounds where those who cant afford costly events can raise the funds. They will also be required to chip in for their friends later. Granted, some have abused this thing but on the whole I think its ok. Like this guy who had a huge comm with his parents friends dominating. The young kept off or took low profile roles in the close to 100 member comm!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
pariah
#44 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:26:06 AM

I am impressed by the number of people who think the harambee for weddings is a con, to be honest in real life I am a pariah on this one. I believe people should plan for their needs and live within their means. The same applies for the michangos to send your tois to private uni or parallel, if you give birth to a kid today, you know that he/she will need to be in uni in 19 years time, its not a f***ing emergency.

Having said that, where there is real genuine need please always lend a hand, that what makes Africans unique, the togetherness

Best wedding I ever saw was Githongo's the anti corruption Czar, look it up on youtube, thats how i would do it halafu change nitanunua plot
jamplu
#45 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 7:29:59 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Im shocked that over 40 posts there is no dissenting voice. Wish wazua could be lyk that on politics. I attend comms for friends n workmates n i dont think its a bad thing. It is part of todays Kenyan culture! It is among the few times when people meet and plan stuff together. Good for reunions etc. Many people earn less than 100k pm n yet want to hold a nice(not xtravagant) wedding. They want the parents to b involved n friends too. How will they afford it with a salo of 40k? Society came up with these comms which are much like merry go rounds where those who cant afford costly events can raise the funds. They will also be required to chip in for their friends later. Granted, some have abused this thing but on the whole I think its ok. Like this guy who had a huge comm with his parents friends dominating. The young kept off or took low profile roles in the close to 100 member comm!

if you can't afford don't go for it! AG only requires 1250.

masukuma
#46 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:54:58 AM

I must admit, I have been part of committees that have raised money for friends of ours. Some money for my wedding was raised by a committee. however raising money is not the role of the committee. esp. raising such things as DOWRY, RINGS, SUITS, HONEYMOON???? - all this is personal and one should cut their coat according to their clothe e.t.c
I can agree with the raising of money to partially feed the masses and organize for transport and the keyword is PARTIAL. however the best use for a committee is logistics, running after service providers and the likes.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Kwanini
#47 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:05:57 AM

feel cheated... having contributed to so many weddings. are majority of wazuans already wedded hence the fait accompli? by same argument should we attend burial arrangements- people should have insurance? , harambees for the sick [why dont they have medical cover?] rushing a sick neighbour to hospital at night- shouldn't he call an ambulance?

Aren't social norms ingrained in us, as we grow... no man is an island, what we should be against is sheer exhibitionism.
"For i am the master and the captain of my fate"
kingfisher
#48 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:07:14 AM

Lolest! wrote:

wewe @Laughing out loudly umeniharibia mood yangu sasa!! Na vile nilikuwa nimeamka on the right side.
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
Burning Spear
#49 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:29:31 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
freiks wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Especially spendthrift!

Some even have the nerve to invite "friends" and committee members for a thanks giving "goat eating" a couple of weeks after the wedding only for them to get there and realize you need to buy an overpriced "flower" which is basically entry fee. You get in and realize the "goat eating party" doesn't even have a goat Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly .

Reminds me of a guy i met at Club Betty's one evening watching chelsea -arsenal game, even before the game started he was tipsy as we discussed what we expect from the game. I had audacity of asking why he started drinking so early even before Drogba tested Jens on the posts. The guy told me he went for a birthday party for a friends kid and decided to buy a Fire Engine toy as gift, when he reached the place to enter you buy a white handkerchief at 250kshs, then when he gave the gift he was told that the truck needs fuel, he gave 500ksh but was told that fuel to go to the field but not to return so he parted with a K. After that he got an imaginary call excused himself and made it to betty's in time, interestingly the guy he left at the party called him to say that the guys are requesting for the spare tire for the truck, the guy just cut off the phone wrote a message to his dude and said meet me at betty's when you are through and switched off the phone

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Some of this "parties" are pure fund raisers. Someone is broke (or realizes shares are selling at a bargain - LOL) and decides to throw a birthday "party" for junior!!!

Then there are those "kuzindikisha" gimmicks. First the guy waits until everyone changas as much as possible then they start "kuzindikisha" business. "Spendthrift ametoa elfu tatu. Nani atamzindikisha? @BurningSpear zindikisha rafiki yako na elfu mbili (never mind @BurningSpear has already parted with 5k - 10k). Na yeye @Burningspear atazindikishwa na @McReggae na elfu moja...." Brary Gasket!!!

Tunaomba sirikali iingilie kati.
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
Burning Spear
#50 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:38:14 AM

Kwanini wrote:
feel cheated... having contributed to so many weddings. are majority of wazuans already wedded hence the fait accompli? by same argument should we attend burial arrangements- people should have insurance? , harambees for the sick [why dont they have medical cover?] rushing a sick neighbour to hospital at night- shouldn't he call an ambulance?

Aren't social norms ingrained in us, as we grow... no man is an island, what we should be against is sheer exhibitionism.

No one has mentioned here about harambees to assist in medical bills,school fees,burial and the like deserving events.Infact,I feel it is our responsibility as a society to assist and I dont complain.

The issue is wending game super con.

Who said for you to live happily,you have to do a glamorous wending.

I am a staunch Roman Catholic and our teachings are against what you cant afford. Thats how jubilee wendings came about,or a couple and two witnesses period !
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
Wendz
#51 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:45:18 AM

Kwanini wrote:

Lets not get issues mixed up..... you can live without a "400-invited-guests" wedding, but you cant live with a dead body not sent off, or a sickness, or force a baby not to be born..... so burial, sickness, a pregnant neighbour who needs lift to hospital, a child who needs education etc is a must... wedding? why should i fund your pleasures?

but i can buy you a beer!

@burning... what's up with the "wendings"?
#52 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:51:19 AM

I think it is okay to help your friend or relative in whatever way you can even financially. The point is to assist your friend/relative have a good wedding. I'm not saying get a loan and assist them but just give what you can and the amount should not be be decided on by a committee as that's not the work of a committee. When I did my wedding I did not ask anyone for money (it's beyond me and my wife) plus we had planned and saved enough but we quite surprised and impressed by our friends who gave us a sizable amount of money and help on the day. So I guess it's the kind of person you are, and how you plan. Who said you must do your big wedding in Dec 2011? If you can't afford it then do a simple wedding or save till 2014. I have taken part in many committees some are grateful others are ungrateful but all in all I've no regrets and I'll continue.

BBI will solve it
:)
famooz
#53 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:04:01 AM

Wendz wrote:
Kwanini wrote:

Lets not get issues mixed up..... you can live without a "400-invited-guests" wedding, but you cant live with a dead body not sent off, or a sickness, or force a baby not to be born..... so burial, sickness, a pregnant neighbour who needs lift to hospital, a child who needs education etc is a must... wedding? why should i fund your pleasures?

@ Wendz,i agree with you but even with the burial send off,i think peeps are talking it to far. What is the point of budgeting for a casket worth 30K if you do not have the money then ask the burial committee to pay? In my village,there is dude who died after a long illness.So people had changad for his hospital bill but then he passed on:(. So during the committee,there was a list of mpaka clothes for the family too wear,budget was huko juu like 100K ( this is little money,i know burials cost almost kama hizo weddings i see on the wedding show)but bottom line is that the burial committee was expected to raise this cash.
Guess what happened one month after the funeral? The widow went and bought a carsmile
nostoppingthis
#54 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:07:23 AM

ati helping a man pay dowry!! ABK... and when you feel cheated in a committee, walk out....
YesuWangu
#55 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:11:29 AM

I have just been invited by sms, by a cousin to contribute some money (3,000) for her wedding. I am not even in the committee. I never knew she even had a man friend.

Maybe if I maintain silence she just will go away.

Honestly I don't have time for these feel-good one-day ventures.

MaichBlack
#56 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:12:19 AM

Wendz wrote:

Thinking of Wendz and wedding at the same time! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
McReggae
#57 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:28:58 AM

famooz wrote:
Wendz wrote:
Kwanini wrote:

@ Wendz,i agree with you but even with the burial send off,i think peeps are talking it to far. What is the point of budgeting for a casket worth 30K if you do not have the money then ask the burial committee to pay? In my village,there is dude who died after a long illness.So people had changad for his hospital bill but then he passed on:(. So during the committee,there was a list of mpaka clothes for the family too wear,budget was huko juu like 100K ( this is little money,i know burials cost almost kama hizo weddings i see on the wedding show)but bottom line is that the burial committee was expected to raise this cash.
Guess what happened one month after the funeral? The widow went and bought a carsmile

Wendz, you don't know how some people can be unreasonable, you refuse take part in his wedding committe then you better forget about calling him when your child is sick or you've lost a close one.

It's really about how you relate and agree, if you accept to be part of it then don't come here and complain, also note that it depends from one person to another, there are those with no partners and don't plan to marry, kuna wale walioa kitambo and wedding is not in their plans, there are those who would wish you a better wedding than they had,kuna wadaku about the same na wamejaa hapa wazua whose only job ni udaku and will never contribute!! there are those also planning a wedding in the future (best contributors), there are friends and relatives who will never desert you, then there are those who are just philanthropic and will generously contribute.....as yesewangu said before, suti, wedding gown, rings, honeymoon and such stuff should really not crop up in the committee discussions!!!!

If you are planning on a wedding in the future and want to have a wedding committee.....avoid the fellows in bold....otherwise, heartache tupu!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
famooz
#58 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:45:05 AM

@ Mc Just read your post hapo juu and i am smile smile so now who are these wadakus smile
Spend.thrift
#59 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:52:07 AM

McReggae wrote:
famooz wrote:
Wendz wrote:
Kwanini wrote:

Wendz, you don't know how some people can be unreasonable, you refuse take part in his wedding committe then you better forget about calling him when your child is sick or you've lost a close one.

It's really about how you relate and agree, if you accept to be part of it then don't come here and complain, also note that it depends from one person to another, there are those with no partners and don't plan to marry, kuna wale walioa kitambo and wedding is not in their plans, there are those who would wish you a better wedding than they had,kuna wadaku about the same na wamejaa hapa wazua whose only job ni udaku and will never contribute!! there are those also planning a wedding in the future (best contributors), there are friends and relatives who will never desert you, then there are those who are just philanthropic and will generously contribute.....as yesewangu said before, suti, wedding gown, rings, honeymoon and such stuff should really not crop up in the committee discussions!!!!

If you are planning on a wedding in the future and want to have a wedding committee.....avoid the fellows in bold....otherwise, heartache tupu!!!

@Mcreggae, I think youre diversionary or have missed the point. All here seem to be in support of weddings and other social events. Whet we are against is the exploitative stances taken in the name of weddings.

There is something called social capital, which everyone must strive to have. It includes having genuine friends and family and getting genuinely interested in helping or sorting out friends and relatives whether financially or morally.

I will gladly help financially, or by being an MC, driver, logistics e.t.c if I feel I'm not being exploited. Surely if your wedding budget is 500k, you must at least be ready to foot at least 2/3 of the bill. Anyhow, you will still receive lots of gifts whose worth may be very high but being the bloodsuckers that most Kenyans are, we never want to acknowledge this sad fact.

luttz
#60 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:55:31 AM

Life is about "give and take". This applies to my friends and even relatives and weddings are no exception. I can contribute if I believe its a worthy investment. Next time, it will be your turn; not to contribute to my wedding but to my other life needs (not necessarily financial. As long as one is able, contribution to Sickness, & fees, should not be counted.
"You've never lived until you've almost died; for those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know."