6 Pages«<3456>
HIV Cure now in sight
Rankaz13
#81 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 7:18:09 PM

murchr wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
murchr wrote:
Progress:

Could HIV drugs give hope to couples with the disease?

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35325679

Indeed. Studies on so-called PrEP been going on for a while now, initially comparing use of TDF alone vs. TDF+FTC combination. The latter was seen to be superior. Once further studies, now ongoing, are finalized and results released, NASCOP will then come up with national guidelines and avail drugs for the same. Many questions, obviously, are yet to be addressed.

Such as?

For starters, who qualifies to get it. Shall it be restricted to discordant couples or who else gets it? There's also the small matter of funding, etc.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
ngapat
#82 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2016 1:19:18 PM

HIV/AIDS cure finally FOUND, Doctors confirm

Published: Feb 8, 2016 by Admin Filed under: International News - 4,484 Views

Doctors in Barcelona, Spain believe they have found the cure to HIV – the AIDS-causing virus that affects the lives of more than 34 million people worldwide, according to WHO.
By using blood transplants from the umbilical cords of individuals with a genetic resistance to HIV, Spanish medical professionals believe they can treat the virus, having proven the procedure successful with one patient.

“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.”
Swenani
#83 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2016 1:37:31 PM

ngapat wrote:
HIV/AIDS cure finally FOUND, Doctors confirm

Published: Feb 8, 2016 by Admin Filed under: International News - 4,484 Views

Doctors in Barcelona, Spain believe they have found the cure to HIV – the AIDS-causing virus that affects the lives of more than 34 million people worldwide, according to WHO.
By using blood transplants from the umbilical cords of individuals with a genetic resistance to HIV, Spanish medical professionals believe they can treat the virus, having proven the procedure successful with one patient.

what happened to the Kenyan cure?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Ngalaka
#84 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2016 12:59:12 PM

Ngalaka wrote:

President Obama said that we are on the track to end the scourge of HIV/AIDS, it is within our grasp.
Is there something significant in the works in US!

Is this it
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
murchr
#85 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2016 7:23:16 PM

UK scientists and clinicians working on a groundbreaking trial to test a possible cure for HIV infection say they have made remarkable progress after a test patient showed no sign of the virus following treatment.

The research, being carried out by five of Britain’s top universities with NHS support, is combining standard antiretroviral drugs with a drug that reactivates dormant HIV and a vaccine that induces the immune system to destroy the infected cells.

Antiretoviral drugs alone are highly effective at stopping the virus from reproducing but do not eradicate the disease, so must be taken for life.

https://www.theguardian....-for-hiv-report-progress
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
wanyee
#86 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2016 9:23:26 PM

This one is mathematically feasible..well in now NGOs' be out of biz in a few years
earthvoice
#87 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:19:43 PM

Interesting. A vaccine that cures HIV.
I thought vaccines prevent disease.
Our professionals should comment on some of these claims.
"All intelligent investing is value investing -- acquiring more than you are paying for. You must value the business in order to value the stock." - Charlie Munger.
murchr
#88 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 2:56:14 AM

NYTimes wrote:
For just the second time since the global epidemic began, a patient appears to have been cured of infection with H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS.

The news comes nearly 12 years to the day after the first patient known to be cured, a feat that researchers have long tried, and failed, to duplicate. The surprise success now confirms that a cure for H.I.V. infection is possible, if difficult, researchers said.

The investigators are to publish their report on Tuesday in the journal Nature and to present some of the details at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Seattle.

Publicly, the scientists are describing the case as a long-term remission. In interviews, most experts are calling it a cure, with the caveat that it is hard to know how to define the word when there are only two known instances.

Both milestones resulted from bone-marrow transplants given to infected patients. But the transplants were intended to treat cancer in the patients, not H.I.V.

Bone-marrow transplantation is unlikely to be a realistic treatment option in the near future. Powerful drugs are now available to control H.I.V. infection, while the transplants are risky, with harsh side effects that can last for years.

But rearming the body with immune cells similarly modified to resist H.I.V. might well succeed as a practical treatment, experts said.

“This will inspire people that cure is not a dream,” said Dr. Annemarie Wensing, a virologist at the University Medical Center Utrecht in the Netherlands. “It’s reachable.”

The new patient has chosen to remain anonymous, and the scientists referred to him only as the “London patient.”

Learning that he could be cured of both cancer and H.I.V. infection was “surreal” and “overwhelming,” he added. “I never thought that there would be a cure during my lifetime.”

https://www.nytimes.com/...ure-london-patient.html

Extremely lucky dude
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#89 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 3:06:37 AM

BGL Posted : Friday, December 27, 2013 wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
JkMwatha wrote:
BGL wrote:

Question 1 is well answered so i will not repeat and will go to question 2 thanks @Rankaz13

It is [NOT] true that a patient with undetectable viral load cannot transmit infection but [IT IS VERY RARE]. At this point let me say that most of the replication is occurring in the LYMPHOID tissues while we are only sampling the blood tissue. However, you all know it depends on the route of transmission.
There are also some people whom HIV infection with some viruses (CCR5 tropic) is impossible. For instance 1-2% of Caucasians with delta32 CCR5 do not express a functional CCR5 and cannot be infected by CCR5 tropic viruses. In African populations (some in EA) we have delta24 CCR5 and the last time i did a flow cytometry experiment to assess expression it behaved the same way but this genotype but it is not well studied. There are also HLA variants that confer protection especially in discordant couples.

Good info BGL but boss,... come srow, come srow....

This is my question/scenerio

(not their real names)

Otieno hooks up with Nduku. Otieno suggests that they both go for a HIV tests. Nduku agrees, but has a hidden secret. She is positive but and has been on treatment for some time and viral load/count is undetectable. So she expects to show up as negative.... Even if they decided to go for repeat tests after six months, the results for Nduku will be the same as long as she remains on treatment.

Is this a likely possibility?

I think not. As long as the virus is there, even though the levels be low, the body will always mount an immune response to it i.e antibodies. And since the tests we routinely use are antibody-based, there you are.

What say you @BGL?smile

I agree with you @Rankaz

Infact even if functional cure occurs [IF WE WILL ever ACHIEVE THAT] you still have remnants of memory B cells which you can detect by Elisa.

Where did these docs go to?

NYTimes Article wrote:
He had Hodgkin’s lymphoma and received a bone-marrow transplant from a donor with the CCR5 mutation in May 2016. He, too, received immunosuppressive drugs, but the treatment was much less intense, in line with current standards for transplant patients.

He quit taking anti-H.I.V. drugs in September 2017, making him the first patient since Mr. Brown known to remain virus-free for more than a year after stopping.

Although the London patient was not as ill as Mr. Brown had been after the transplant, the procedure worked about as well: The transplant destroyed the cancer without harmful side effects. The transplanted immune cells, now resistant to H.I.V., seem to have fully replaced his vulnerable cells.

Most people with the H.I.V.-resistant mutation, called delta 32, are of Northern European descent. IciStem maintains a database of about 22,000 such donors.

So far, its scientists are tracking 38 H.I.V.-infected people who have received bone-marrow transplants, including six from donors without the mutation.

Even if a person harbors only a small number of X4 viruses, they may multiply in the absence of competition from their viral cousins. There is at least one reported case of an individual who got a transplant from a delta 32 donor but later rebounded with the X4 virus. (As a precaution against X4, Mr. Brown is taking a daily pill to prevent H.I.V. infection.)

Heck! @BGL are you Dr. Gupta?
Metaur
#90 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2019 5:37:35 PM

Oh damn, I remember how nervous I was when I was needed to make those analysis for HIV. You can only imagine, thanks to the God all fine. But in the same time I am happy for people who maybe will have better lifes cause of that. It's serious issue of our generation. I am also worried that big pharma companies may be "worried" as well, about their ... money;)
Bigchick
#91 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2019 8:42:27 PM

Metaur wrote:
Oh damn, I remember how nervous I was when I was needed to make those analysis for HIV. You can only imagine, thanks to the God all fine. But in the same time I am happy for people who maybe will have better lifes cause of that. It's serious issue of our generation. I am also worried that big pharma companies may be "worried" as well, about their ... money;)

Am really worried about this Egrish.........the message might get lost.
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
Julie
#92 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 1:45:24 PM

I am losted already the communicacion
BGL
#93 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 5:39:25 PM

murchr wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
JkMwatha wrote:
BGL wrote:

Question 1 is well answered so i will not repeat and will go to question 2 thanks @Rankaz13

It is [NOT] true that a patient with undetectable viral load cannot transmit infection but [IT IS VERY RARE]. At this point let me say that most of the replication is occurring in the LYMPHOID tissues while we are only sampling the blood tissue. However, you all know it depends on the route of transmission.
There are also some people whom HIV infection with some viruses (CCR5 tropic) is impossible. For instance 1-2% of Caucasians with delta32 CCR5 do not express a functional CCR5 and cannot be infected by CCR5 tropic viruses. In African populations (some in EA) we have delta24 CCR5 and the last time i did a flow cytometry experiment to assess expression it behaved the same way but this genotype but it is not well studied. There are also HLA variants that confer protection especially in discordant couples.

(not their real names)

Otieno hooks up with Nduku. Otieno suggests that they both go for a HIV tests. Nduku agrees, but has a hidden secret. She is positive but and has been on treatment for some time and viral load/count is undetectable. So she expects to show up as negative.... Even if they decided to go for repeat tests after six months, the results for Nduku will be the same as long as she remains on treatment.

I think not. As long as the virus is there, even though the levels be low, the body will always mount an immune response to it i.e antibodies. And since the tests we routinely use are antibody-based, there you are.

What say you @BGL?smile

I agree with you @Rankaz

Infact even if functional cure occurs [IF WE WILL ever ACHIEVE THAT] you still have remnants of memory B cells which you can detect by Elisa.

NYTimes Article wrote:
He had Hodgkin’s lymphoma and received a bone-marrow transplant from a donor with the CCR5 mutation in May 2016. He, too, received immunosuppressive drugs, but the treatment was much less intense, in line with current standards for transplant patients.

He quit taking anti-H.I.V. drugs in September 2017, making him the first patient since Mr. Brown known to remain virus-free for more than a year after stopping.

Although the London patient was not as ill as Mr. Brown had been after the transplant, the procedure worked about as well: The transplant destroyed the cancer without harmful side effects. The transplanted immune cells, now resistant to H.I.V., seem to have fully replaced his vulnerable cells.

Most people with the H.I.V.-resistant mutation, called delta 32, are of Northern European descent. IciStem maintains a database of about 22,000 such donors.

So far, its scientists are tracking 38 H.I.V.-infected people who have received bone-marrow transplants, including six from donors without the mutation.

Even if a person harbors only a small number of X4 viruses, they may multiply in the absence of competition from their viral cousins. There is at least one reported case of an individual who got a transplant from a delta 32 donor but later rebounded with the X4 virus. (As a precaution against X4, Mr. Brown is taking a daily pill to prevent H.I.V. infection.)

Of course i am not Gupta i remain BGL. I am still working on a functional cure for HIV. However i am worried by the reduced PEPFAR funding by the Trump administration. If Kenya Government does not fill up the gaps we will roll back all the gains made. Tuko pamoja
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
murchr
#94 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 6:04:29 PM

BGL wrote:
murchr wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
JkMwatha wrote:
BGL wrote:

(not their real names)

What say you @BGL?smile

I agree with you @Rankaz

NYTimes Article wrote:

Of course i am not Gupta i remain BGL. I am still working on a functional cure for HIV. However i am worried by the reduced PEPFAR funding by the Trump administration. If Kenya Government does not fill up the gaps we will roll back all the gains made. Tuko pamoja

Do you think this "supposed" cure can work for non european people?
BGL
#95 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 7:31:57 PM

murchr wrote:
BGL wrote:
murchr wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
JkMwatha wrote:
BGL wrote:

(not their real names)

What say you @BGL?smile

I agree with you @Rankaz

NYTimes Article wrote:

This is not feasible outside of Research and Development. Firstly, it is a transplant! Therefore, there is a likelihood of rejection of the tissue if you are not immunosuppressive drugs which are 10 times more expensive than the current HIV drugs.

History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
murchr
#96 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2019 7:35:46 PM

BGL wrote:
murchr wrote:
BGL wrote:
murchr wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
JkMwatha wrote:
BGL wrote:

(not their real names)

What say you @BGL?smile

I agree with you @Rankaz

NYTimes Article wrote:

This is not feasible outside of Research and Development. Firstly, it is a transplant! Therefore, there is a likelihood of rejection of the tissue if you are not immunosuppressive drugs which are 10 times more expensive than the current HIV drugs.

Waa!! ok
2Czar
#97 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:00:40 PM

I stil found this all unbelievable, even if someone invented somehow cure from aids it's just not possible to release as news cause major news outlets are controlled by private powerfull persons who will never push this agenda for small guy anyway and big one are not interested in making it;)
Tommy45m
#98 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 11:41:57 PM

I'm not the doctor,but I think I can help you whith such question,because I was the viewer of such situation. My best friend is the HIV positive person,it's the long story of youth's stupidity. He is married one and his wife wanted children,but they were afraid. One good doctor helped them. After sex,wife went to HIV RNA test accuracy,that shown that all was OK. So,if you go to a good doctor,he will help you.Don't use drugs without doctor's permishion.
maureenowaters
#99 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 5:29:11 AM

BGL wrote:
murchr wrote:
[quote=BGL]Through personalized medicine, HIV infected people will be able to live their normal lives without ARVs.
Read how
http://www.news-medical....rograms-on-HIVAIDS.aspx
http://www.sangamo.com/pipeline/sb-728.html[/quote]

How are our Kenyan scientists doing? Those who were featured on the DN sometime ago?

The problem is that we are fragmented and nobody knows what the other person is doing unless you meet at an international conference to present results.

I & others are deeply involved trying to profile the prevalence of which coreceptor (R5 and X4) the viruses are using to enter the cell. Development of resistance against all the virus targets is very easy.... skip medication or the virus mutates under drug pressure BUT human gene will not be pressured by the virus to mutate.
Remember in a patient, HIV is not clonal but exists as a quasi species. If only CCR5 exist then the patient can benefit but if CXCR4 then the patient is excluded. Also remember that all the other HIV therapies target the virus but this one targets the host (patient).

Excellent idea guys. Thanks for sharing.

murchr
#100 Posted : Friday, November 08, 2019 12:43:24 AM