wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages<1234>»
HIV Cure now in sight
Mukiri
#21 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 2:04:52 AM

Kratos wrote:
Call me a conspiracy theorist but i doubt the pharmaceutical multinationals would "allow" for that to happen. Not when they are minting billions on ARV's and related medications. I read somewhere (unfortunately cant rem the link) that a cancer drug had been found but the guys needed more funding (for tests and more research) from such companies but it was not forthcoming.

Aren't the drugs now coming from India? Generics? I know they'd gladly finish us (Africans) but what about their populace?

Capitalism..
Solar/Electro cars/machinery have been silenced by oil producers
War is encouraged/initiated by ammo manufacturers
Disease mitigation is being silenced by pharmaceuticals?

No wonder Jesus said t'would be easier for a camel! If one can horde so much while people starve suffer and die?

Proverbs 19:21
murchr
#22 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 3:09:59 AM

BGL wrote:
murchr wrote:
[quote=BGL]Through personalized medicine, HIV infected people will be able to live their normal lives without ARVs.
Read how
http://www.news-medical....rograms-on-HIVAIDS.aspx
http://www.sangamo.com/pipeline/sb-728.html[/quote]

How are our Kenyan scientists doing? Those who were featured on the DN sometime ago?

The problem is that we are fragmented and nobody knows what the other person is doing unless you meet at an international conference to present results.

I & others are deeply involved trying to profile the prevalence of which coreceptor (R5 and X4) the viruses are using to enter the cell. Development of resistance against all the virus targets is very easy.... skip medication or the virus mutates under drug pressure BUT human gene will not be pressured by the virus to mutate.
Remember in a patient, HIV is not clonal but exists as a quasi species. If only CCR5 exist then the patient can benefit but if CXCR4 then the patient is excluded. Also remember that all the other HIV therapies target the virus but this one targets the host (patient).

d'oh! d'oh! Now that jargon has taken me a while to digest. Anyway, I read somewhere, I guess from the conspiracy theorists that it is highly possible that HIV was a biological weapon and to prove his case, the author said that the virus does not behave like any other naturally existing virus as in, our bodies can easily flash out viruses eg homa. How true can this assertion be?
And on cancer, could what we are eating be the cause of the rising numbers?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
BGL
#23 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 10:42:32 AM

There are so many conspiracy theorists in the market place about the origins of HIV BUT the biggest of all is Dr. Leonard Horowitz and Prof. Jakob Segal. The arguments of Prof Segal which is exactly what @ murchr is pointing at have to be considered together with an argument on the origin of SIV (cousin of HIV) in green monkeys. In real life scenario, chapter 6 of kenyan constitution should be read with other chapters not in isolation.

Now back to @ Murchr, Our bodies (mine and yours) harbour viral DNA acquired millions of years ago. For instance,i will give two examples (i) common cold is caused by a rhino virus but is not lethal (ii) Herpes simplex virus just wakes up one day and causes an ugly watery blister on your mouth and may stay silent for years before it pops up to cause more damage without killing the host.

I agree with the author that HIV is different. As you know, HIV attacks the 'army' and by army i mean CD4+ T cells and macrophages, whose work is to protect the cells. Ever wondered why we do not have a vaccine against HIV yet? because the virus is much clever than us. We actually need to change strategy on how to design our vaccines because the current strategies cause even more damage. In some cases the vaccine may even lead to new infection in experimental group compared to the placebo (control) group. The vaccine is safe on its own (how vaccines against HIV are designed is a discussion for another day). The reason why the group receiving the vaccine may be at risk is that the vaccine will activate the cells to finish off the virus when it is infecting the body BUT HIV infects with ease these activated cells. These are the questions we need to ask these people but i have no problems with development of vaccines.

On your last question, @ Murchr i am not an oncologist but since i suppose i had some good training in bio-medical sciences i will just comment. We got two types of cells: (i) Germ cells (sperms & ova) (ii) Somatic cells (any other cells not germ cells kama vile cells making the skin, bones, macho etc etc). Lifestyles do influence and expose our somatic cells to all sorts of stress and this may lead to cancer. Mutations on germ cells are so dangerous since can be passed on to the next generation while mutations on somatic cells are not. Just another reason why you should protect your makende at all time.
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
murchr
#24 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:48:13 AM

@BGL thanks for the info. How do SIV and HIV differ?
Again, what is in our(black people) genes that makes us more prone to HIV? I ask this because looking at data and statistics as a base, the disease is rightly called the black mans disease, Infact this alone makes me believe Wangari Mathai. And again, why is it that SIV affects only African monkeys and chimps? Now...there are these strange diseases that just occur in congo and UG...Ebola and Marburg. Kwani hizi animals zetu zina nini?

Are the patients who professed to have been cured by Kemron still alive?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
BGL
#25 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:51:54 PM

Australian scientists grow HIV antibodies in cow's milk
http://www.fiercebiotech...es-cows-milk/2012-10-19

New gene therapy approach to construct HIV-resistant immune cells
http://www.fiercebiotech...012-09-11#ixzz2AET1knjl
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
BGL
#26 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:56:30 PM

murchr wrote:
@BGL thanks for the info. How do SIV and HIV differ?
Again, what is in our(black people) genes that makes us more prone to HIV? I ask this because looking at data and statistics as a base, the disease is rightly called the black mans disease, Infact this alone makes me believe Wangari Mathai. And again, why is it that SIV affects only African monkeys and chimps? Now...there are these strange diseases that just occur in congo and UG...Ebola and Marburg. Kwani hizi animals zetu zina nini?

Are the patients who professed to have been cured by Kemron still alive?

SIV infects non-human primates while HIV (HIV-1 and HIV-2)infects humans. SIV has been in these non-human for thousands of years and jumped to humans at a time which is not yet known but In Humans HIV causes AIDS while SIV causes no disease in these non-human primates.

What i know is that in caucasians there is a population (2%) that have genetic advantage by not expressing the co-receptor that HIV uses to enter the cell.

I disagree with your 'black man disease' tag and this is why i say so; HIV IS INCURABLE but AIDS IS A MANAGEABLE DISEASE. Progression to AIDS is accelerated by poverty and i will use an example of two sexually active people whom i will tag A and B. Person A takes is medication well and maintains his viral load (at undetectable levels) while person B has no access to medication and has a high viral load (it can be as high as >1 000 000 hiv copies in mL of blood). If both are active in Koinange street affairs, person A will not transmit the virus as effectively as person B. Now complete the puzzle and do the arithmetic and you will know why the virus has hit Africa so hard.

There seems to be a relatioship between the strange diseases in UG and Congo and consumption of bushmeat from non human primates.

KEMRON never cured anybody of HIV! how?????????
pariah
#27 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:46:39 AM

BGL wrote:
Australian scientists grow HIV antibodies in cow's milk
http://www.fiercebiotech...es-cows-milk/2012-10-19

New gene therapy approach to construct HIV-resistant immune cells
http://www.fiercebiotech...012-09-11#ixzz2AET1knjl

thanks BGL for disseminating HIV literature to us mortals in a way we understand. i am wondering what your thoughts are on the HIV resistant immune cells work (above). So if this works out will they transfuse the cells to patients? can the cells divide in the body? Seems like a very big leap towards the search of a cure to my untrained eye

good work
BGL
#28 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:18:55 PM

Good question
This is how it started..... A HIV patient called Timothy Ray Brown http://www.npr.org/blogs...y-inspires-new-research who was leukemic needed bone marrow transplantation. By coincidence the donor had a deletion of the 32bp of a gene that HIV uses to enter the cell. The man never takes any medication and his viral load is undetectable for many years now. That was good news.
This is how we do it. We get your white blood cells and isolate the CD4 T cells then using flow cytometer we select non-infected cells and use a technology to do a deletion of the 32bp from the gene, grow the cells in the culture and then back to the patient. being from the same patient no rejection and they take over the immune system (Yes they divide like normal cells). The drawback is that there are residual long lived cells which may as well be infected and may be wake up one day.

Currently this therapy may only work for patients with CCR5 viruses only though there could be studies targeting CXCR4 strains.
pariah
#29 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:38:11 AM

thanks BGL for always teaching us more on HIV research. Would you please do a post on current research on HIV in Kenya ie what specific groups are working on.
thanks
BGL
#30 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:47:49 AM

pariah wrote:
thanks BGL for always teaching us more on HIV research. Would you please do a post on current research on HIV in Kenya ie what specific groups are working on.
thanks

post your email.
pariah
#31 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:57:29 PM

BGL wrote:
pariah wrote:
thanks

post your email.

busy.idler@yahoo.co.uk
Outvestor
#32 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:21:42 PM

Nanoparticles loaded with bee venom kill HIV - Washington University Study shows.

Link : http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/25061.aspx
¡ʇɹoɟɟǝ ƃuıɟɟǝ ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ɥɔnɯ os ؛uıɐʌ uı ɔıqɐɹɐ ƃuıuɹɐǝן pǝıɹʇ ı
BGL
#33 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2013 1:18:19 AM

New Study Finds THC(weed) May Be Helpful In Combating HIV

http://www.theweedblog.c...elpful-in-combating-hiv/
maka
#34 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:18:54 AM

www.nydailynews.com/1.1329530
possunt quia posse videntur
Mukiri
#35 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2013 3:47:25 PM

BGL wrote:
New Study Finds THC(weed) May Be Helpful In Combating HIV

http://www.theweedblog.c...lpful-in-combating-hiv/

Heard the weed kills cancer cells too. Not through smoking but applying/ingesting the oil. Do we have people legally allowed to grow/supply the same in Kenya?

Proverbs 19:21
kiterunner
#36 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 1:05:06 PM

A Kenyan pharmacist has cured HIV using methotrexate by using a cancer drug that kills the special cells that habour the HIV virus. The work has not been published and i hope it ll be published soon. I wonder if Dr Barasa is our BGL

http://www.nation.co.ke/...1/-/wr8ii7z/-/index.html
our goals are best achieved indirectly
jguru
#37 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 1:25:58 PM

[quote=kiterunner]A Kenyan pharmacist has cured HIV using methotrexate by using a cancer drug that kills the special cells that habour the HIV virus. The work has not been published and i hope it ll be published soon. I wonder if Dr Barasa is our BGL

http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/wr8ii7z/-/index.html[/quote]

Maybe BGL = Dr Simon Barasa Situma...

I read that story in the papers, and I need to see the published results before I can appreciate what's going on.
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
murchr
#38 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:53:40 AM

jguru wrote:
[quote=kiterunner]A Kenyan pharmacist has cured HIV using methotrexate by using a cancer drug that kills the special cells that habour the HIV virus. The work has not been published and i hope it ll be published soon. I wonder if Dr Barasa is our BGL

http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/wr8ii7z/-/index.html[/quote]

Maybe BGL = Dr Simon Barasa Situma...

I read that story in the papers, and I need to see the published results before I can appreciate what's going on.

Notice he went under after u mentioned that? Anyway, another DN writer writes about UNIPRON

http://www.nation.co.ke/...550/-/6vxw7/-/index.html
guru267
#39 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:56:35 AM

Don't most AIDS patients die of one cancer or another? I believe we can kill two birds with one stone here!

One documentary I watched talks about how marijuana is hated by pharmaceuticals because of its ability to cure countless diseases in its natural form all the way from the common cold to cancer... Legalizing it would put them out of business completely!

As a result of marijuana prohibition, research on its healing capabilities is zero at best!
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
mkenyan
#40 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:44:37 AM

guru267 wrote:
Don't most AIDS patients die of one cancer or another? I believe we can kill two birds with one stone here!

One documentary I watched talks about how marijuana is hated by pharmaceuticals because of its ability to cure countless diseases in its natural form all the way from the common cold to cancer... Legalizing it would put them out of business completely!

As a result of marijuana prohibition, research on its healing capabilities is zero at best!

coincidentally many people die of cancer nowadays....