wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages123>»
HIV Cure now in sight
pariah
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 12:56:21 AM

Hot off the press results have shown that mice immunized mice could stop the HIV virus from multiplying further. This could the closest any research group has come to a credible long term solution to HIV AIDS. Look up Alejandro B. Balazset al in Nature 2011
josiah33
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 5:23:50 PM

Link please.
josiah33
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 5:30:02 PM

Kratos
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 6:55:30 PM

Call me a conspiracy theorist but i doubt the pharmaceutical multinationals would "allow" for that to happen. Not when they are minting billions on ARV's and related medications. I read somewhere (unfortunately cant rem the link) that a cancer drug had been found but the guys needed more funding (for tests and more research) from such companies but it was not forthcoming.

“People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.” ― Walter C. Langer
josiah33
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 8:15:23 PM

Kratos wrote:
Call me a conspiracy theorist but i doubt the pharmaceutical multinationals would "allow" for that to happen. Not when they are minting billions on ARV's and related medications. I read somewhere (unfortunately cant rem the link) that a cancer drug had been found but the guys needed more funding (for tests and more research) from such companies but it was not forthcoming.

what u said about cancer is here http://www.conservativer...ure-extreme-disinterest but the cure is a simple drug which i believe does not need a lot of funding from the impression i get from the article.

Pharmaceutical companies are not investing in this research because dichloroacetate (DCA) method cannot be patented, without a patent they can’t make money, like they are doing now with their AIDS Patent
pariah
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 04, 2011 3:57:31 AM

josiah33 wrote:
Kratos wrote:

what u said about cancer is here http://www.conservativer...ure-extreme-disinterest but the cure is a simple drug which i believe does not need a lot of funding from the impression i get from the article.

Pharmaceutical companies are not investing in this research because dichloroacetate (DCA) method cannot be patented, without a patent they can’t make money, like they are doing now with their AIDS Patent

I love conspiracy theories but in this case @Josiah I dont think this is true. Firstly the link above gives incorrect information, for example mitochondria are not a type of cells but organelles (components of cells) that synthesize energy. Cancer is such a costly expenditure on all heath budgets in developed countries that no one can afford to 'allow' cancer to happen.

Secondly, lets not forget that Pharma companies are businesses that are in it for the money. So they will invest where there is a profit with a patent or not a cancer drug that cures all cancers would be a a real money makersmile . But i doubt such a drug exists and is unlikely to be available in future. Cancer is a collection of several diseases that are caused by different mechanisms, so the claim that there is a silver bullet that cures all is most likely untrue.

If you thought HIV afflicted a huge percentage of world population and was a big problem in the world, think again Cancer is the real killer big killer (in terms of numbers)
josiah33
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 04, 2011 5:27:28 PM

pariah wrote:
josiah33 wrote:
Kratos wrote:

I love conspiracy theories but in this case @Josiah I dont think this is true. Firstly the link above gives incorrect information, for example mitochondria are not a type of cells but organelles (components of cells) that synthesize energy. Cancer is such a costly expenditure on all heath budgets in developed countries that no one can afford to 'allow' cancer to happen.

Secondly, lets not forget that Pharma companies are businesses that are in it for the money. So they will invest where there is a profit with a patent or not a cancer drug that cures all cancers would be a a real money makersmile . But i doubt such a drug exists and is unlikely to be available in future. Cancer is a collection of several diseases that are caused by different mechanisms, so the claim that there is a silver bullet that cures all is most likely untrue.

If you thought HIV afflicted a huge percentage of world population and was a big problem in the world, think again Cancer is the real killer big killer (in terms of numbers)

Forget about mitochondria being refered to as cells rather than as organelles. The person conveying the message in the previous link might not have been able to tell the difference but all the same there's all likelihood of a simple drug being a cancer cure. The following links might explain better-
http://www.newscientist....kills-most-cancers.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloroacetic_acid
And about AIDS: i didn't say it was the biggest killer. All i said is that some people think that the pharmaceutical companies reaped from the ARV'S since they could be patented and this drug(DCA) is not getting alot of interest as a potential cancer drug because it cannot be patented as a compound though someone is trying to patent it for use as cancer treatment.
pariah
#8 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 12:21:43 AM

@josiah thanks for the link, it seems the article was from 4 years ago. do you know what came of the clinical trails? It is very interesting, I am no expert but seems too good to be true for me
kingfisher
#9 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 7:55:31 AM

pariah wrote:
@josiah thanks for the link, it seems the article was from 4 years ago. do you know what came of the clinical trails? It is very interesting, I am no expert but seems too good to be true for me

No cancer cure will ever find its way to the shelves, ditto for HIV/AIDS cure. because the pharma will never let it happen, patented or not patented. It simply means loss of business= reduced profits.

Cures for these two conditions will always be availed as alternative medicine, with a lot of propaganda from the pharma/government agencies on how ineffective they are.

The idea of pharmas as regards cancer treatment is to keep you alive as much as necessary so that they make a kill from you.
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
YesuWangu
#10 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 8:09:23 AM

The manufacturers draw you out from a healthy simple lifestyle with glitz and glamor.

When your body reacts, the 2nd wave of manufacturers blitz you with medication.

Its all in a days work, these things.

josiah33
#11 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 9:37:14 AM

pariah wrote:

Am not sure about the clinical trials but this test might answer part of your questions- DCA inhibits breast cancer cell growth
josiah33
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:31:34 PM

and now cannabis is also a cancer cure.
StatMeister
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:39:27 AM

Correct me if am wrong, the world has united in the past against whooping cough, small pox, measles...why not against AIDS or cancer or malaria?

Furthermore, even if you had cures for all known causes today, people would still die from new causes, and from these, pharms would make lots of patent money.

From this perspective, pharms are not in danger of profit erosion from such advances
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work
kingfisher
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:48:50 AM

StatMeister wrote:
Correct me if am wrong, the world has united in the past against whooping cough, small pox, measles...why not against AIDS or cancer or malaria?

Furthermore, even if you had cures for all known causes today, people would still die from new causes, and from these, pharms would make lots of patent money.

From this perspective, pharms are not in danger of profit erosion from such advances

@stateman...

whooping cough, small pox, measles are communicable diseases.... meaning that if they are not controlled they can infect and wipe out whole populations. nobody wants that, not even the pharmas.

But cancer, diabetes, HIV/AIDS are different in that they affect much smaller percentage of populations. So the pharma can play around with these unfortunate human beings and milk them dry as they watch them die. that is the sad truth.
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
josiah33
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:18:38 PM

kingfisher wrote:
StatMeister wrote:

@stateman...

whooping cough, small pox, measles are communicable diseases.... meaning that if they are not controlled they can infect and wipe out whole populations. nobody wants that, not even the pharmas.

But cancer, diabetes, HIV/AIDS are different in that they affect much smaller percentage of populations. So the pharma can play around with these unfortunate human beings and milk them dry as they watch them die. that is the sad truth.

and no one, rich or poor would want a disease like ebola to be widespread because no one's willing to live in those protective gears and masks. It wouldn't be cool anyway.
youcan'tstopusnow
#16 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 8:47:00 PM

kingfisher wrote:
Cures for these two conditions will always be availed as alternative medicine, with a lot of propaganda from the pharma/government agencies on how ineffective they are.

An interesting documentary: 'Healing Cancer From Inside Out'
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
BGL
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:14:10 PM

Through personalized medicine, HIV infected people will be able to live their normal lives without ARVs.
Read how
http://www.news-medical....rograms-on-HIVAIDS.aspx
http://www.sangamo.com/pipeline/sb-728.html
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
murchr
#18 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:00:44 PM

[quote=BGL]Through personalized medicine, HIV infected people will be able to live their normal lives without ARVs.
Read how
http://www.sangamo.com/pipeline/sb-728.html[/quote]

How are our Kenyan scientists doing? Those who were featured on the DN sometime ago?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
BGL
#19 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:11:00 PM

murchr wrote:
[quote=BGL]Through personalized medicine, HIV infected people will be able to live their normal lives without ARVs.
Read how
http://www.sangamo.com/pipeline/sb-728.html[/quote]

How are our Kenyan scientists doing? Those who were featured on the DN sometime ago?

The problem is that we are fragmented and nobody knows what the other person is doing unless you meet at an international conference to present results.

I & others are deeply involved trying to profile the prevalence of which coreceptor (R5 and X4) the viruses are using to enter the cell. Development of resistance against all the virus targets is very easy.... skip medication or the virus mutates under drug pressure BUT human gene will not be pressured by the virus to mutate.
Remember in a patient, HIV is not clonal but exists as a quasi species. If only CCR5 exist then the patient can benefit but if CXCR4 then the patient is excluded. Also remember that all the other HIV therapies target the virus but this one targets the host (patient).
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
kenyanbeef
#20 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:05:39 PM

BGL wrote:

The problem is that we are fragmented and nobody knows what the other person is doing unless you meet at an international conference to present results.

I & others are deeply involved trying to profile the prevalence of which coreceptor (R5 and X4) the viruses are using to enter the cell. Development of resistance against all the virus targets is very easy.... skip medication or the virus mutates under drug pressure BUT human genome will not be pressured by the virus to mutate.
Remember in a patient, HIV is not clonal but exists as a quasi species. If only CCR5 exist then the patient can benefit but if CXCR4 then the patient is excluded. Also remember that all the other HIV therapies target the virus but this one targets the host (patient).

d'oh! d'oh!