wazua Wed, May 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<1234>»
Kumbe a Professor earns only 165k....before tax
kyt
#21 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:02:14 PM

For Sport wrote:
kyt wrote:
and who said i support the prezzy pm and mps being paid that sum of money? the only reason they are paid that kind of money is because they set their own salaries. the renumeration commission is being established, i hope i be part of it

And then think of the irony of going to ask for Aid from a developed country whose President earns less than you do....

#Reversethinking.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
GGK
#22 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:35:28 PM

kiterunner wrote:
I am usually inspired by reading Wazuan comments on most topics but I am disappointed on this one. Lecturers deserve to be paid better than they are at the moment. That way the job will attract (or retain) a better breed of intellectuals than we currently have. Working in three or more jobs is a survival mechanism for the Lecturers, they would settle if they were paid properly in one job. It is rather counter productive to deny an employee proper pay because he makes some more on the side.

I agree the academia in Kenya does not publish as much as they should, i dont think that has to do with laziness either. It boils down to funding for their research and the appraisal system in the universities. I wish the promotion would be pegged on the published record and impact factor of your work rather than the experience. It is self defeating for universities to make so much money from Module II and pass some of the money to their staff.

In the past lecturers were people that excelled in undergrad who went on to study postgrad but now every module II graduate is registed for masters or PhD of some sort. It is time we establish centres of excellence for gifted and very able students away from the module II model of education for the masses. That is the only way we can have capable people doing research that will make a difference.

Education needs to be revamped in this country right from nursery to the very top, before we do that vision 2030 is another pipe dream not worth the paper its printed on

I think the issue is disparity rather than what exactly is paid to professors. The political class increased their perks way too much. Am sure if the ministers salaries were in the region of 400k, we would not have this turmoil. Look at what is happening...every commissioner is asking for millions!

The very way to sort out this is to peg public officials payments to the economic performance. This will clear the disparities and bring the wage bill down as well as quench the discontentedness that is in the air.
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
CaptainGG
#23 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:46:39 PM

If you think you are too good and too learned, move on and look for another job. The government is not the only employer. I do not think they do anything so special to deserve very huge salaries. And as some one said, some of them work two days a week and move on to other colleges to make more money.
kiterunner
#24 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:56:07 PM

Look at the salaries in Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and South Africa. The compare that with USIU in Kenya. You will definitely see a difference.
our goals are best achieved indirectly
K22
#25 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:19:03 AM

Hold on!!! Is that Data up there factual? In Kenya we Pay Prezzy Kshs 4.2M per month? Kwani where have i been living? I thought we pay him like half of that in basic pay.

And in India a president gets Kshs 410,000/-? Seriously?

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man
GGK
#26 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:22:24 AM

K22 wrote:
Hold on!!! Is that Data up there factual? In Kenya we Pay Prezzy Kshs 4.8M per month? Kwani where have i been living? I thought we pay him like half of that in basic pay.

And this is where the problem is......If president was being paid kitu 1m, things will be easier. Coz PM will be earning 0.8m ministers 0.7 judges 0.6, mps 0.5 PSs 0.4m and everything else will fall in place.

Disparity is the issue
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
For Sport
#27 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:23:25 AM

@ GGK - you hit the nail on the head. Disparity.

Quote:
Considering that in 1972, the ratio between the lowest paid civil servant and the highest was 1 :40; and that today, this differential is in excess of 1 :320; if we were to revert back to the 1972 ratio of 1 :40- the ratio that persists in many parts of the world- MPs should be entitled to about Kshs 400,000/- per month with the President taking home a maximum of Kshs 1 million; which are good enough figures to live on.
ICJ Kenya
KNCHR

1:320 is gross inequity. It means that resources are not properly rationalized. Its improper for MPs to justify their pay by arguing that they provide "economic" and "political" leadership. Is this sufficient justification for the disparity between the highest paid public servants and the lowest paid ones?
I doubt that these strikes would be on if the 1:40 ration had been retained..
bird_man
#28 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:09:13 AM

So question is, should we justify crazy pay hikes for everyone else based on what our MPs earn?
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Mpenzi
#29 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:34:12 AM

Seen some story on Sunday Nation about the Commission for Revenue Allocation recommending a reduction of MPigs salaries. I believe a Salaries and Remuneration Commission is also being set up. Let's hope these Commissions will have the power and WILL to reduce these crazy salaries (including their own!) coz that is the only way to rationalise public pay.
kiterunner
#30 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:21:39 PM

Do these commissiona have moral authority when they earn millions in allowances? The MPigs will use that to disband them
Mpenzi
#31 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:39:29 PM

kiterunner wrote:
Do these commissiona have moral authority when they earn millions in allowances? The MPigs will use that to disband them

If the Commissions have the WILL they have potential to cause positive change. These are independent commissions created by the Constitution and MPigs cannot disband them on a whim. Their terms in office are also protected and removing them wont be easy.

Article 251 of the Constitution:

(2) A person desiring the removal of a member of a commission or of a holder of an independent office on any ground specified in clause (1) may present a petition to the National Assembly setting out the alleged facts constituting that ground. (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

(3) The National Assembly shall consider the petition and, if it is satisfied that it discloses a ground under clause (1), shall send the petition to the President.

(4) On receiving a petition under clause (3), the President— (a) may suspend the member or office holder pending the outcome of the complaint; and (b) shall appoint a tribunal in accordance with clause (5).

(5) The tribunal shall consist of— (a) (b) (c) a person who holds or has held office as a judge of a superior court, who shall be the chairperson; at least two persons who are qualified to be appointed as High Court judges; and one other member who is qualified to assess the facts in respect of the particular ground for removal.

(6) The tribunal shall investigate the matter expeditiously, report on the facts and make a binding recommendation to the President, who shall act in accordance with the recommendation within thirty days.

(7) A person suspended under this Article is entitled to continue to receive one-half of the remuneration and benefits of the office while suspended.
jaggernaut
#32 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:47:27 PM

A lecturer earns 75k as per the article below. Living in 2brm flats in Kahawa and walking to work coz they can't afford to maintain a car. Why struggle to get a PhD only to end up earning 75k and living in kahawa? How do you tell your kids about the importance of education and working hard in school? Can they ever take you seriously when you talk about the importance of education? It might be better to use the funds and time spent on masters and PhD to start a kiosk or operate a taxi since the returns are higher.

A PhD can't even guarantee you to live in middle income estates like south C? He can't even qualify for a mortgage to buy a 3brm flat in Kileleshwa coz monthly repayments is 80k, much more than his pay. So what do all those people living in Runda, Karen etc do for a living? We need to read their biographies and follow their footsteps. There is a big problem with our system.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...6/-/yehru3/-/index.html

luttz
#33 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:19:09 PM

I dont believe a PHD holder earns 75k. Something is missing in the analysis' either deliberately or the interviewed have not shared the finer details. I know of someone who joined the university as lecturer in Kitui and earns slightly more than 100k yet he is in possession of Masters degree, not PHD. Does it mean there is no don in Wazua who can verify the claims?
"You've never lived until you've almost died; for those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know."
kiterunner
#34 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 12:26:47 AM

jaggernaut wrote:
A lecturer earns 75k as per the article below. Living in 2brm flats in Kahawa and walking to work coz they can't afford to maintain a car. Why struggle to get a PhD only to end up earning 75k and living in kahawa? How do you tell your kids about the importance of education and working hard in school? Can they ever take you seriously when you talk about the importance of education? It might be better to use the funds and time spent on masters and PhD to start a kiosk or operate a taxi since the returns are higher.

A PhD can't even guarantee you to live in middle income estates like south C? He can't even qualify for a mortgage to buy a 3brm flat in Kileleshwa coz monthly repayments is 80k, much more than his pay. So what do all those people living in Runda, Karen etc do for a living? We need to read their biographies and follow their footsteps. There is a big problem with our system.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...6/-/yehru3/-/index.html

The pay for lecturers in public universities is horrible but bashing postgrad education because of the pay is in my opinion rather misplaced. The figures given are representative though in some courses the lecturers make some money on the side consulting or teaching middle level colleges and private universities. Most people dont pursue higher education for a better pay (at least ones I know) though as a general rule the pay increases with more training. Secondly not all PhDs are lecturers, a good proportion of the daktaris are in research institutions or in the private sector. Finally what is not said in this debate is some academicians make more than Mpigs here in Kenya.

So if you want to pursure a PhD go for it, dont be discouraged by lectures pay, there is a lot more you can do besides teaching
tony stark
#35 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 9:50:17 AM

K22 wrote:
Hold on!!! Is that Data up there factual? In Kenya we Pay Prezzy Kshs 4.2M per month? Kwani where have i been living? I thought we pay him like half of that in basic pay.

The figures in the image are calculated at purchasing power parity. Meaning what a dollar can buy in Kenya can be more than what a dollar can buy in USA and when you equalize this using the IMF ratio our Kenyan $ go up in the PPP!

It is not the exchange rate dollars.
For Sport
#36 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2012 9:28:29 PM

bird_man wrote:
So why don't they move to professions that pay better???Most are lazy. They prefer some of our universities where nobody cares about your performance,what time you come in, whether you mark CAT papers etc. They will lecture from recycled notes dating back to 1998 yet so much has changed.

Why don't they move to other institutions where people are paid 500K?
Answer:Most lecture in 3 or so universities (165*3=495K).

Guess what, some are
http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/kmkm4sz/-/index.html

Dash
#37 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 12:36:13 PM

For Sport wrote:
bird_man wrote:
So why don't they move to professions that pay better???Most are lazy. They prefer some of our universities where nobody cares about your performance,what time you come in, whether you mark CAT papers etc. They will lecture from recycled notes dating back to 1998 yet so much has changed.

Why don't they move to other institutions where people are paid 500K?
Answer:Most lecture in 3 or so universities (165*3=495K).

Guess what, some are
http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/kmkm4sz/-/index.html

All moving is not the solution. If all move to greener pastures, who do you expect your children to learn from??
pariah
#38 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:12:12 PM

how much do lecturers earn in the following positions

1. Tutorial fellow
2. Ass Lecturer
3. Lecturer
3. Seniour Lecturer
4. Associate Prof
5 Prof
karqui
#39 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 3:03:45 PM

@kitrun.... you speak so well of the dons and seem to appreciate what they do.
@ pariah, find below the details:-

Basic pay and house allowance figures
Professor, Kshs. 96,000/= - & 65,000/=
Associate Professor, Kshs. 72,000/= & 54,000/=
Senior Lecturer Kshs. 57,600/= - & 54,000/=
Lecturer, Kshs.50,400/= - & 45,000/=
Assistant Lecturer,and tutorial fellow Kshs. 38,400/= & 45,000/=

pariah
#40 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 6:44:26 PM

karqui wrote:
@kitrun.... you speak so well of the dons and seem to appreciate what they do.
@ pariah, find below the details:-

Basic pay and house allowance figures
Professor, Kshs. 96,000/= - & 65,000/=
Associate Professor, Kshs. 72,000/= & 54,000/=
Senior Lecturer Kshs. 57,600/= - & 54,000/=
Lecturer, Kshs.50,400/= - & 45,000/=
Assistant Lecturer,and tutorial fellow Kshs. 38,400/= & 45,000/=

thank you