wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages<12345>»
Graduate Salaries in Kenya : A Review
kiterunner
#41 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:24:13 PM

new investor wrote:
@ tom boy... if I had to pay rent in Ngara ( close to town) It would be a minimum of 9k for a single room...

Fare to and from Ngara (off peak) is 50/= daily making around 1k

Daily food budget (280 *30)= 8400
2pkts Milk 70
1/2 kg Meat 180
Cabage/spinach 20
Tomatoes 10

Lunch 100 ( Minimum in town)= 2500
Shopping = 5k
Electricity and water bills = 1k

TOTAL MONTHLY REQUIREMENT = 26,900

Anyway where is one meant to get the deficit?

Theft, robbery, terrorism etc

Anyway fellow wazuans, if you have no response to my question about the site, please stop spamming my post.........

I feel your pain new investor, you have a point on underpayment but look on the brighter side, you have a job. Its not too long ago that I could have lived on your 'minimum' monthly expenditure for 3-5 months. What is ailing today's youth (myself included) iss the sense of entitlement we have. The world does not owe us SHIT, we ve got make it work for us, kaa ngumu, lower expectations and work smart
our goals are best achieved indirectly
'user'
#42 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:13:11 PM

For Sport wrote:
You cannot stop people from expressing their opinions

tell 'm this is why gaddafi was run out of town
2012 is here.Kenya is Ours.Be Part of The Peace Keeping Mission To Protect Our Motherland.Say No To Violence and Tribal Hatred .If you can read this,wewe ni mtu amesoma, usifikirie kama mtu hajaenda shule .Ni Hayo Tu
chalan
#43 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:27:31 PM

new investor wrote:
@ tom boy... if I had to pay rent in Ngara ( close to town) It would be a minimum of 9k for a single room...

Fare to and from Ngara (off peak) is 50/= daily making around 1k

Daily food budget (280 *30)= 8400
2pkts Milk 70
1/2 kg Meat 180
Cabage/spinach 20
Tomatoes 10

Lunch 100 ( Minimum in town)= 2500
Shopping = 5k
Electricity and water bills = 1k

TOTAL MONTHLY REQUIREMENT = 26,900

Anyway where is one meant to get the deficit?

Theft, robbery, terrorism etc

Anyway fellow wazuans, if you have no response to my question about the site, please stop spamming my post.........

Am thinking, why would you spend like you have no tomorrow?
new investor
#44 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:30:06 PM

Wazuans your comments are hilarious

Are you saying I should not live in a house ( Nisilipe rent)

Not eat food( To eliminate the food bill)

And I forgot to indicate I have two small children....the minimum governmet wage for househelp is 7586....

So if I paid her first, I would not even feed my family.

Are some people not meant to live??? And when I married a rich man they call me a gold digger!!!
Give Away FREE Reports and Affiliate Tools.
Earn commissions from sales of Our Do-It-Yourself List Building Resources.
http://www.leadgeneratingtools.com
new investor
#45 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:32:52 PM

@ kiterunner,

Please demonstrate to wazuans how you can use 15000, working in CBD, having a housegirl, and paying school fees for two kids plus feeding all of them. Practically (20 mks)
Give Away FREE Reports and Affiliate Tools.
Earn commissions from sales of Our Do-It-Yourself List Building Resources.
http://www.leadgeneratingtools.com
BGL
#46 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:31:32 PM

2012 wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
In my small sphere of work, I get better value from technicians out of polytechnics, better accounts staff from CPA graduates. I have been hugely disappointed by the so called graduates seconded to me.

That's very true! It's because our national universities teach 1970 theories while poly teaches practical and application and I think that's why most university graduates are employees.

Read this post and you will understand why SOME graduates in this country are unemployable.

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...spx?g=posts&t=15433
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
kiterunner
#47 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 12:46:21 AM

new investor wrote:
@ kiterunner,

Please demonstrate to wazuans how you can use 15000, working in CBD, having a housegirl, and paying school fees for two kids plus feeding all of them. Practically (20 mks)

I am not sure i can but here s my story

Firstly I dont have kids till when i wil be able to support a family so when i got my first entry level job i dint need a maid. I cleared campus a few years back, when I came to hustle in Nai I took a room for sh. 2500 in outskirts of Nairobi with a former school mate. We were supported by our respective families and kept everything to a minimum. (I remember days when we would chill at bus stop waiting for fare to come down) I see your budget you have nyama, a soc for lunch........ hustling in our times was a whole different game. My first job I was paid so little that I am embarassed to call it payment. I am sure things are a lot expensive now with inflation but if i were you i would try to live within my means though i know its easier said than done.
2 Miles
#48 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:12:32 AM

First , they is too much generalization here. There is a general attitude from the comments posted on this thread that graduates are lazy , inept and have a superiority complex. This is untrue. Just like in any field or environment, performance levels are different.

If you know how the Kenyan system of education works, entrance to university is on merit. And am talking about module 1. The Kenyan system of education is one of elimination and is about survival. That is why, few excel to go to good secondary schools and fewer excel to join university admission. But of course there are exceptions.

To go through the university system , especially for a regular student, is good training ground. Besides the education, you get to interact with many students from diverse backgrounds. Generally there is more exposure. Look at the celebrations on graduation days - relatives travel from far because they understand what their son or daughter has gone through. Most graduates have honestly earned their paper.

To pay a graduate badly should in fact be made a crime. Some of these companies are headed by graduates themselves, and yet go ahead to misuse young Kenyans. To expect a graduate to be perfect in his work immediately after recruitment is unrealistic. That is why companies invest a lot in training. Deloitte does that.

Companies are making too much money. Look at the profits banks announce. You then hear what they pay some of their employees you get shocked. SHAME ON YOU!

There are arguements of demand and supply. There is no problem with that. But you wonder why companies are having a crazy staff turnover. You pay some graduate peanuts. He will take it. But when he gets a better offer, he will move so fast and leave you there complaining about graduates.

Gordon Gekko
#49 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:09:45 PM

@2 Miles, you have raised an important point - module 1. I assume your point is that if module <> 1 then we are dealing with self important lazy louts. If so, can we get universities putting on the certificate which module it is so we spare ourselves all the hear aches?
Lolest!
#50 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:35:14 PM

Maybe @new investor is right. But should 50k be the benchmark? How did you arrive at 50 and not 30 or 100?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
madhaquer
#51 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:16:56 PM

new investor wrote:
@ kiterunner,

Pay househelp 3,000
Pay fees 5,000 monthly x 2 =10,000
Total: 13,000
Take 1,500 and put it in a fund for those kids
Put 500 bob credit on your phone and start hassling, you are a graduate, you have skills to offer.

What you don't seem to get is that, there are only so many lucrative jobs out there. If you are unfortunate enough to miss out, your are still bright enough to make as much money come month end. The source not withstanding, the word side hassle does mean something.

I recently met a businessman who told me all his managers make more money than their monthly salaries. If they in their lifetimes as career men/ladies they have no investments with passive income or can't manage a side business, it is a sign of lack of innovation, shoddy decision making or wastage. I partly agree.

Forums like Wazua exist to make it possible for you to make as much as you wish, not to hold a title in some popular brand.

It's the approach and the attitude that counts.
jerry
#52 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:08:31 PM

@madhaquer, you've got a BIG point. I've been trying to establish a side 'job' such that if I were to leave my current job I wud still earn at least as much as I would have lost.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
fantony
#53 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 2:18:58 AM

graduates who want to have househelps?? d'oh! d'oh! Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Liar Liar Liar Liar NKTesticles!!!!!
Penny-Stocker
#54 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 2:29:13 AM

Well, remember the employers don't have to employ you. If you are unsatified with the wage you're earning, quit, look for another job,start your own business, or move back to shags! Remember, these are private businesses and they are in the business of making profits!
“None but ourselves can free our minds.”
- Bob Marley
meme
#55 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 8:20:11 AM

Here is the thing.....am still in campus....next year I will beout there looking for a job....so what happens if all I get after hustling is 15k job?? I will work hapo..look to improve my skills, live within my means and at the same time tafta a better paying job....last time I checked wasting time complaining on wazua wont add to your paycheck!
Patience. You cannot have a baby in one month by impregnating nine women....
Kaykay
#56 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 9:11:23 AM

Dash wrote:
I love the way people are talking about recruitment like it is such a straight forward thing in Kenya. How come no is mentioning the tribalism and nepotism involved in job searches. The godfathers and the great godfathers. There are so many people hired in so many jobs that they are not even qualified for, forget the salary but because they know a certain big shot. I think when discussing anything job related this has to be considered.

That is why some of us have mentioned good recruitment practices and systems. For a recruitment exercise to be effective and get the right personnel it has to be objective and fair and transparent. Whoever can get you an interview but that is where it should end if it has to reach there. If you arent good enough a good exercise will weed you out.
accelriskconsult
#57 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 9:12:41 AM

Ten years ago, to the month, and as a fresh graduate, I started working at a salary of 52k having rejected jobs that paid 20k and 25k and waited for 3 months. The reason I rejected the other 2 jobs is that I knew what I was worth. Everyone, graduate or not must know what they are worth but also justify the pay when given the opportunity to work.
alma
#58 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 9:19:28 AM

I think the problem is that graduates from Kenyan universities think they are very bright and are owed something for their "expertise".

I find it shocking that Kenyan graduates can't type to save their lives. Yet they are on facebook.

I was in a Kenyan college and also been in a college "out there". I have to say, I have never met as many self important people as Kenyan graduates....One had the audacity to tell me that he was so bright, I could not afford him. So I told him to go to where he could be afforded. 2 yrs later, he's still tarmaking.

For about 2 yrs I worked as an intern. With a masters degree to boot. And no, I was not paid peanuts, I was paid nothing!

You try get a Kenyan graduate, even the one who's tarmacking to work as an intern. The guy will go start a riot in Tao.

Sorry, Mr/Ms graduate, the world owes you nothing. You are insignificant and no one needs you as much as you think.

You need to prove to the world that you are worth your boss asking the BOG to increase your "personal" salary. Not set up a website to tell people exactly why you are considered a bad person to employ in the first place.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
lennz
#59 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 9:23:49 AM

Querry wrote:
It's a matter of demand and supply.....

After graduation; you do the job that you get first then build your career from that point, Be it the 10k job or the 50K job

Moving from the entry level position to the next position depends on the skills you have learnt, the opportunities, your immediate manager and luck.

After five years of experience; gaining skills and the papers that's when you stand a chance to negotiate salaries, choose options etc.

This is for an almost normal curve (without any influence from Godfathers etc)though there are people who start high, there are others who get stuck at the entry level positions and others who will move from level 1 to level four.

At the lower levels; supply is more than the demand. in the upper levels; demand is higher than the supply.

My two Zimcents.

Applause
Very true @ Querry
Though i must agree that @ new investor has a GREAT point under this thread, we all agree that Kenya's job market is 'flooded' and this is the BIG opportunity the few employers exploit to minimize cost - This is what every reasonable man/woman in his'her right man would do in the circumstances, after all these are private firms whose KEY objective is maximizing profits. I believe in productivity, value addition, creativity and innovation and these should be the targets/outcomes of any employee in a bid to earn recognition, pay rise and dignity. Forces of demand and supply determine equilibrium price (wage) in a free competitive market. This we must all understand and appreciate.

The only place where dreams are impossible is your mind
kiterunner
#60 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 9:37:25 AM

meme wrote:
Here is the thing.....am still in campus....next year I will beout there looking for a job....so what happens if all I get after hustling is 15k job?? I will work hapo..look to improve my skills, live within my means and at the same time tafta a better paying job....last time I checked wasting time complaining on wazua wont add to your paycheck!

so on point