wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Boiling Tap Water
mukiha
#1 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 4:42:34 PM

Do you?

If yes; why?
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 4:45:06 PM

I don't, but I use water guard.
kinoru
#3 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 4:45:43 PM

kill micro-organisms and make it softer
QW25081985
#4 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 4:49:24 PM

kinoru wrote:
kill micro-organisms and make it softer

ati " to make it softer " kwani unakulanga maji na kunywa chakula. Hahahaha.
kinoru
#5 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 4:50:44 PM

siyo ivyo yaani that taste like spring water
olesopa
#6 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 5:03:15 PM

Ok, if you live in Nairobi, its sad , but boiling the water dont make it any safer for human consumption. Don't get me wrong, NAWASCO does a perfect job in water treatment, the big problem is the distribution networks made of old asbestos pipes and age old steel pipes, all this prone to ingress of heavy metals and industrial waste some of it carcinogenic. U dont get rid of this by boiling the water, period. A friend of mine told me a story whereby the water they receive in the industry he works for has more TDS ( total dissolved solids) that the WHO allowable guidelines on what they shud discharge into the aquatic ecosystem. Meaning that the water they receive should not be dicharged into Nairobi river. (technically speaking) and thats a FACT believe it or not, otherwise do some homework on that and revert on this forum. I stand to be corrected.
Euge
#7 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 5:08:30 PM

olesopa wrote:
Ok, if you live in Nairobi, its sad , but boiling the water dont make it any safer for human consumption. Don't get me wrong, NAWASCO does a perfect job in water treatment, the big problem is the distribution networks made of old asbestos pipes and age old steel pipes, all this prone to ingress of heavy metals and industrial waste some of it carcinogenic. U dont get rid of this by boiling the water, period. A friend of mine told me a story whereby the water they receive in the industry he works for has more TDS ( total dissolved solids) that the WHO allowable guidelines on what they shud discharge into the aquatic ecosystem. Meaning that the water they receive should not be dicharged into Nairobi river. (technically speaking) and thats a FACT believe it or not, otherwise do some homework on that and revert on this forum. I stand to be corrected.

True. they do a great job. I visited the treatment works next to CCK along Waiyaki way and they take samples for testing every hour. So I don't boil my drinking water.

Now this distribution story is shocking. Tuhame NBI kama guka.
Lord, thank you!
Njung'e
#8 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 6:19:13 PM

mukiha wrote:
Do you?

If yes; why?

Si mimi...Ni mama watotoSad smile
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Ondiek
#9 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 6:47:24 PM

olesopa wrote:

Are we sure that chalk dust is no longer used as a substitute for chlorine?
Magigi
#10 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 6:57:01 PM

Used to buy bottled water until I found out it was sewage bottled water...Now I drink right from the tap...and still alive...
Intelligentsia
#11 Posted : Monday, October 03, 2011 7:05:29 PM

Ondiek wrote:
[quote=olesopa]Ok, if you live in Nairobi, its sad , but boiling the water dont make it any safer for human consumption. Don't get me wrong, NAWASCO does a perfect job in water treatment, the big problem is the distribution networks made of old asbestos pipes and age old steel pipes, all this prone to ingress of heavy metals and industrial waste some of it carcinogenic. U dont get rid of this by boiling the water, period. A friend of mine told me a story whereby the water they receive in the industry he works for has more TDS ( total dissolved solids) that the WHO allowable guidelines on what they shud discharge into the aquatic ecosystem. Meaning that the water they receive should not be dicharged into Nairobi river. (technically speaking) and thats a FACT believe it or not, otherwise do some homework on that and revert on this forum. I stand to be corrected.

Are we sure that chalk dust is no longer used as a substitute for chlorine?[/quote]

Hilo ndilo swala nyeti. @Ondiek hapo umed*nya point.
we need to put our professionals to task - if u build a railway bridge, we put you directly underneath as the first train to use that bridge chugs past; if you deal with water we insist you personally taste it before iingie kwa distribution system and if you are in charge of fixing the distribution system we insist on seeing you drinking tap water and strictly no bottled water, if you sell 'matumbo' at Tuskys, pewa for sampling before @impunity aonje, if you supply dawas to KNH then when you fall sick we insist you go to that hosi for treatment - watu watashika adabu proper.

Robinhood
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:34:13 AM

olesopa wrote:

Thanks for the detailed analysis @olesopa. So what do we do?
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
'user'
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:43:29 AM

mukiha wrote:
Do you?

If yes; why?

why ? Mukiha, Now tell us why you asked this ???
2012 is here.Kenya is Ours.Be Part of The Peace Keeping Mission To Protect Our Motherland.Say No To Violence and Tribal Hatred .If you can read this,wewe ni mtu amesoma, usifikirie kama mtu hajaenda shule .Ni Hayo Tu
majimaji
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:52:49 AM

Boil your water if you stay in the following places: All Umoja and Donholm, Kayole, Outering rd, Tena, Fedha Estate, Pipeline Estates such as Unique Estate, Muimara adjacent to Imara Daima and Tassia.

Boil your water if your area has a collapsed sewerage system (eg. umoja) or where there are hundreds of septic tanks (eg. pipeline area)
willin2learn
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:58:19 AM

This question used to appear in Science and Home science while i was still in primo. I don't remember the answer i used to give but teacher Gigo(as we used to call Mr. Magigi then) used to tick my answers correct.
wanyuru
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:18:07 AM

Laughing out loudly
willin2learn wrote:
This question used to appear in Science and Home science while i was still in primo. I don't remember the answer i used to give but teacher Gigo(as we used to call Mr. Magigi then) used to tick my answers correct.

i remember the answer was 'to REMOVE tapeworms'
Chaka
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:43:09 AM

Magigi wrote:
Used to buy bottled water until I found out it was sewage bottled water...Now I drink right from the tap...and still alive...

@Magigi,how did you find out?

'user'
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:17:20 PM

'user' wrote:
mukiha wrote:
Do you?

If yes; why?

?????
2012 is here.Kenya is Ours.Be Part of The Peace Keeping Mission To Protect Our Motherland.Say No To Violence and Tribal Hatred .If you can read this,wewe ni mtu amesoma, usifikirie kama mtu hajaenda shule .Ni Hayo Tu
mukiha
#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:42:48 PM

'user' wrote:
mukiha wrote:
Do you?

If yes; why?

Because I think it is a complete waste of energy [and money]. Boiling will not kill any germs that survived the chlorination.

And to clear the air:

FACT: the City Council bought chalk dust instead of chlorine one time only

FACT: the chalk never found its way into the water system. After chalk does NOT dissolve in water!!

FACT: the City council has NEVER supplied untreated water to residents.

So why do people still feel the need to boil tap water before drinking?

I usually ask people whether they also boil bathing water or the water used for rinsing utensils. It's silly when you think about it: you wash the glass with "dirty" water and then use it to drink boiled "clean" water!!!

Me?

I don't bother boiling it.
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
bwenyenye
#20 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:49:35 PM

The whole chalk dust issue was over hyped to create a market for the ultra expensive bottled water.
I Think Therefore I Am