wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Toyota D4 -VVTI Engine
Nobby
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:24:40 PM

Why is is it that most people discourage others to purchase and toyota with a D4-VVTI 1990cc engine.

In my view if you have the correct plugs they do ( 20,000kms ), do regular service which includes synthetic oil( it does 10,000 kms) the car performs better than most in the same class and consumes less the the VVTI 1800cc.
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Njung'e
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:28:09 PM

@Wa-Meat, (Surprised?),

Some years back,i had a D$ Premio.Didn't last 2 months.Th effing thing would cut off in the middle of a cruise and knock of kila kitu,including the steering pump.....I tried many "pros",including TK.They couldn't solve the problem.Parted with it when i realised it was going to kill me......Along the way,i heard many stories about the D4 engine(true or false).I said never!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
tuvok
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:12:52 PM

Yes sensitive engine, but have driven one for > 4 years. Hardly any issues. As Nobby said, watch the plugs, service regularly, fuel wisely (not at those corners). Also found these guys very handy www.opti-ride.com as the guy specializes in gasoline direct injection vehicles (GDI, D4 etc)

I'm at > 20k with the original plugs without much change in performance (great btw).

For the record it is also a VVTi engine. ( http://www.toyotabharat....y/glossary/vvti_d4.aspx )

Infact the next car may probably be another direct injection.
bwenyenye
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:27:39 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@Wa-Meat, (Surprised?),

Some years back,i had a D$ Premio.Didn't last 2 months.Th effing thing would cut off in the middle of a cruise and knock of kila kitu,including the steering pump.....I tried many "pros",including TK.They couldn't solve the problem.Parted with it when i realised it was going to kill me......Along the way,i heard many stories about the D4 engine(true or false).I said never!

Boss what did you expect fueling at those offsite stations huko mashinani? and getting mwangi the class three dropout who turned village mechanic to buy for you spark plugs from Muranga........ ABK!Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
I Think Therefore I Am
groupielove
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:25:13 AM

From my own observation, and from what I hear from my mechanics, It is really hard to maintain a D4/GDI engine. Fuel economy is ok with these vehicles but develop engine problems quite fast and that is the beginning of road nightmares. I haven't had any experience with D4 but with a GDI (which use the same technology) and I can confortable say they are bure kabisa.
mukiha
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:40:06 AM

groupielove wrote:
From my own observation, and from what I hear from my mechanics, It is really hard to maintain a D4/GDI engine. Fuel economy is ok with these vehicles but develop engine problems quite fast and that is the beginning of road nightmares. I haven't had any experience with D4 but with a GDI (which use the same technology) and I can confortable say they are bure kabisa.

Your conclusion defeats logic. It sounds like: "I haven't tasted honey and I can confidently say that it is very bitter!!!"
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
groupielove
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:49:54 AM

mukiha wrote:
groupielove wrote:

Your conclusion defeats logic. It sounds like: "I haven't tasted honey and I can confidently say that it is very bitter!!!"

How about putting it this way... I have never tasted KCC but I have tasted Ilara (which is also milk) and I can confidently say Maziwa ni bure kabisa. Hope you get the logic
sanity
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:14:44 PM

I have also used a Toyota D4 for 3 years now.good engine,economical on fuel and no major problems to date.but just as the others are saying, always watch out for the simple things like,aircleaner,regular service and make sure it never gets low on the coolant..
Hope is not a strategy
Um Sayala
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:41:53 PM

I am looking for a car, specifically Toyota ISIS 1990 cc. i hear its a D4 VVTi engine. anybody with experience on this unit?

how much would a 2005 unit cost?

thank u and keep the wazua spirit.
"Peace is our profession, War is our business" ...Unknown
Impunity
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:38:22 AM

groupielove wrote:
mukiha wrote:
groupielove wrote:

How about putting it this way... I have never tasted KCC but I have tasted Ilara (which is also milk) and I can confidently say Maziwa ni bure kabisa. Hope you get the logic

@groupielove had won.
Applause
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Nobby
#11 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2012 10:35:34 AM

Um Sayala wrote:
I am looking for a car, specifically Toyota ISIS 1990 cc. i hear its a D4 VVTi engine. anybody with experience on this unit?

Like i said before, a D4VVTI i a very modern engine with many sensors, very good consumption and very powerful but is also very sensitive and must be maintained well so as to achieve the above. For me i use synthetic oil and original genuine parts and it can serve you very well. an ISIS will cost you about 900-950K. i can help you import.
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
majimaji
#12 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2012 10:50:38 AM

Have a D4 premio going 5 years now. No problem so far. Just fit the right oils and plugs.
Come to think of it, this goes for any engine!
tuvok
#13 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2012 11:28:23 AM

majimaji wrote:

Have a D4 premio going 5 years now. No problem so far. Just fit the right oils and plugs.

Applause Applause Applause
patngure
#14 Posted : Friday, January 03, 2014 1:51:11 PM

Hi guys,

Am a car import/dealer and i personally find Isis a very reliable unit as compared to Noah, Voxy, Wish in terms of performance. To be sincere i have sold 22 units of ISIS this year as compared to 10 wish, 4 voxy and 6 Noah. That tells me something about it. I have one unit remaining 2006 KBX going for 980k.
washiku
#15 Posted : Friday, January 03, 2014 2:26:01 PM

Thank God this post had not come up before I bought my current car. Mine is D4-VVTI and it has absolutely no problem. All I can tell its more powerful compared to the one I had before which was VVTI. I have also noted there is no much difference with consumption, yet the other one was a 1500cc n this one is a 2000cc. But as it has been said up here, its all about service and using genuine parts. But I have learnt something I might try in future. I might try use the plugs for 10,000 coz I ALWAYS change them after 5000kms without fail yet they dont really come cheap.
Tebes
#16 Posted : Friday, January 03, 2014 3:53:22 PM

washiku wrote:
Thank God this post had not come up before I bought my current car. Mine is D4-VVTI and it has absolutely no problem. All I can tell its more powerful compared to the one I had before which was VVTI. I have also noted there is no much difference with consumption, yet the other one was a 1500cc n this one is a 2000cc. But as it has been said up here, its all about service and using genuine parts. But I have learnt something I might try in future. I might try use the plugs for 10,000 coz I ALWAYS change them after 5000kms without fail yet they dont really come cheap.

For D4-VVTi engines, use only genuine Iridium plugs (3 pin)
"Never regret, if its good, its wonderful. If its bad, its experience."
Money Whisperer
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 05, 2014 8:22:05 AM

patngure wrote:
Hi guys,

Am a car import/dealer and i personally find Isis a very reliable unit as compared to Noah, Voxy, Wish in terms of performance. To be sincere i have sold 22 units of ISIS this year as compared to 10 wish, 4 voxy and 6 Noah. That tells me something about it. I have one unit remaining 2006 KBX going for 980k.

Liar nice plug-in
"Money never sleeps"
Ericn
#18 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 8:32:47 AM

Um Sayala wrote:

This is a bit late but i think that many people either do not know the meaning of D4 or are just driving the same cars..the ISIS does not come with a D4 engine..nor premio or any other kawaida 4 cylinder cars..D4 and D4-S is in the mark x, crown ,some lexus models etc and D4D in the hilux etc
All this other engines use MPI coupled with either single or dual VVTI and Valvematic for the modern engines.
The 4 in D4 does not mean 4 cylinders
Ericn
#19 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:05:26 AM

majimaji wrote:

There is no D4 premio..maybe mark x and crown and hilux..but premio and all the small cars from toyota on our roads, none are D4
kingdom
#20 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:02:34 PM

[/quote]
There is no D4 premio..maybe mark x and crown and hilux..but premio and all the small cars from toyota on our roads, none are D4
[/quote]

Its called a VVT-i D4, comes mostly in Avensis, Voxy and also Premio. Note again not the normal D4 you might be thinking about but its VVT-i D4. I personally owned avensis with that Engine, its even written on the engine's cover D-4D VVTi