MatataMingi
#61 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 9:33:10 AM

@Kingfisher & Mukiri.

Test email sent. This is to confirm contact
Mukiri
#62 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 9:45:28 AM

MatataMingi wrote:
@Mukiri,

The water kefir grains were growing slower when I was using the Bottled mineral water from Nakumatt.
However, I stopped using this water and instead started using my tap water. This comes from a borehole that is situated in the hills at the Vipingo Golf Resort. This water is rich in calcium, lime and other minerals. (Egg shells are calcium). I filter this water, then boil it.
As soon as I started using this water, the growth of the grains went WILD.

Thanks for the email. I will get in touch. I assume you live in Nairobi.

Applause That was my advice when you first asked about what water to use. You said you didn't have the time; glad you changed your mind. However, your experimentations says a big something about those bottled purported mineral waters and by extension chlorine which features greatly in municipal/county water.

Yes I do and soon might be a neighbor in Kilifi county.

Proverbs 19:21
MatataMingi
#63 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:50:43 AM

@Mukiri.

Did you get my test email.
Will also help if you give me your phone contact
Mukiri
#64 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:09:35 AM

Done

beth W
#65 Posted : Monday, November 02, 2015 12:15:50 PM

Mukiri wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
kingfisher wrote:
@mukiri.... grow enough and share.... mimi bado pata?

And you might not get unless you try suggestion aboveSad

@Mukiri, Please indicate "the suggestion above" i.e post number.

My wife is in the UK for 2 weeks. Can she buy and bring these back. What I mean is how long do these survive.

Thanks

Post No #13.

In the UK there's a guy who'd happily deliver them for free, wherever she issmile . Gary- bh3expat@yahoo.com. However she can still buy the starter kits or google kefir users in the area she's in, who share. The good thing with this option is the kefir is guaranteed to work vis-a-vis buying the starter kit.

She could use them while there, thus keeping them alive. Time of travel-transfer them in a glass. As she won't be allowed to board a plane with liquids, when she's aboard... ask for milk and water+sugar (I'm hoping she gets both. They are not interchangeable). They should arrive in Kenia happy to serve. If its too much hustle get the 'live' starter kit.

Ever heard of 'Florastor'? What about 'Hemp Oil' which is allowed in Ireland. Two healthy products I'd be happy to get my hands on.

Mukiri
#66 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 4:30:21 AM

beth W wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
MatataMingi wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
kingfisher wrote:
@mukiri.... grow enough and share.... mimi bado pata?

And you might not get unless you try suggestion aboveSad

@Mukiri, Please indicate "the suggestion above" i.e post number.

My wife is in the UK for 2 weeks. Can she buy and bring these back. What I mean is how long do these survive.

Thanks

Post No #13.

In the UK there's a guy who'd happily deliver them for free, wherever she issmile . Gary- bh3expat@yahoo.com. However she can still buy the starter kits or google kefir users in the area she's in, who share. The good thing with this option is the kefir is guaranteed to work vis-a-vis buying the starter kit.

She could use them while there, thus keeping them alive. Time of travel-transfer them in a glass. As she won't be allowed to board a plane with liquids, when she's aboard... ask for milk and water+sugar (I'm hoping she gets both. They are not interchangeable). They should arrive in Kenia happy to serve. If its too much hustle get the 'live' starter kit.

Ever heard of 'Florastor'? What about 'Hemp Oil' which is allowed in Ireland. Two healthy products I'd be happy to get my hands on.

Welcome to Wazua @Beth (Atakama ni @EssyK/KEssy amebadilisha jina tena). What is?

hardwood
#67 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 9:17:52 AM

I saw kefir milk at nakumatt. Must be related to the grains.
Chaka
#68 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 10:49:48 PM

hardwood wrote:

Local or imported(If local I hope it not the blue elephant label)?I hope it is in a clear container?Did it have a KEBS stamp,ie does KEBS know what kefir is?
IMO,another outfit should be mandated to standardise food products..
Mukiri
#69 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 2:12:14 AM

Chaka wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Local or imported(If local I hope it not the blue elephant label)?I hope it is in a clear container?Did it have a KEBS stamp,ie does KEBS know what kefir is?

There is Food and Poisons board.

If we have small-scale people who sell yoghurt, then I don't see kefir being far off. I recently had a chat with one such vendor, who is already looking for the grains. Anyone with a 'huge' quantity to spare?

Chaka
#70 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:28:05 AM

Mukiri wrote:
Chaka wrote:
hardwood wrote:

There is Food and Poisons board.

If we have small-scale people who sell yoghurt, then I don't see kefir being far off. I recently had a chat with one such vendor, who is already looking for the grains. Anyone with a 'huge' quantity to spare?

Is it "food and poisons" board or "drugs and poisons" board?I believe it is the latter in which case my suggestion is still valid?However,I don't think kefir is meant for "mass" production..
Mukiri
#71 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:07:10 PM

People are waking up to this, albeit mos mos... Anyone with quantity enough for sharing?

Dahatre
#72 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 10:02:33 AM

Mukiri wrote:
People are waking up to this, albeit mos mos... Anyone with quantity enough for sharing?
Don't have anything to share, but wanted to know if you have tried cultured veggies (Kimchi/sauerkraut etc)?
Mukiri
#73 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 1:27:11 PM

Dahatre wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
Don't have anything to share, but wanted to know if you have tried cultured veggies (Kimchi/sauerkraut etc)?

Yes. Home made. Sauerkraut packs a punch, takes longer to make though.. I'd much prefer Fermented Cabbage juice that takes initially 3 days and thereafter a day. I've also tried Beet Kvass and ofcourse fermented porridge.smile The Japanese ferments use lotsa seaweed, a huku watu hawajui sea ni kusema nini! I'm of the opinion, besides exercise, ferments are the next best thing you can have for your health. Even wine is fermented grape juice.

Have you tried any yourself? Please share experiences?

Dahatre
#74 Posted : Monday, May 08, 2017 9:33:40 AM

Mukiri wrote:
Dahatre wrote:
Mukiri wrote:

Yes. Home made. Sauerkraut packs a punch, takes longer to make though.. I'd much prefer Fermented Cabbage juice that takes initially 3 days and thereafter a day. I've also tried Beet Kvass and ofcourse fermented porridge.smile The Japanese ferments use lotsa seaweed, a huku watu hawajui sea ni kusema nini! I'm of the opinion, besides exercise, ferments are the next best thing you can have for your health. Even wine is fermented grape juice.

Have you tried any yourself? Please share experiences?

Been fermenting veggies like a boss!

I chop up kila kitu (sukuma, red cabbage, miciris, saumu, regular onions, pilipili, carrots, ginger, celery, broccoli), ferment with a ton of sea salt for 5-7 days then refrigerate & eat slowly.

My problem is how to use less salt. When I last tried to reduce salt I ended up with a big smelly slimy mess which I had to throw away…

Aspiring Expert
#75 Posted : Friday, October 06, 2017 2:12:24 AM

Hi guys.
Do any of you have milk kefir grains that you can spare?
I left mine out of the fridge on a business trip and they got spoilt Sad
I live in Nairobi btw.
kingfisher
#76 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:30:43 PM

Aspiring Expert wrote:
Hi guys.
I live in Nairobi btw.

Try http://kefirkenya.com/contact/

No guarantee!!
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
Swenani
#77 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:07:18 PM

What kind of food revolution is going on here? Is it bitfood revolution?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
sheri
#78 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:42:06 PM

Swenani wrote:
What kind of food revolution is going on here? Is it bitfood revolution?

Health awareness my brother. You are what you eat.
Mukiri
#79 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:06:29 PM

kingfisher wrote:
Aspiring Expert wrote:
Hi guys.
I live in Nairobi btw.

Try http://kefirkenya.com/contact/

No guarantee!!

Laughing out loudly Kenyans are an industrious lot, aren't they? What happened to the Wazua spirit @Kingfisher? Ama you resisted? Pray

I have a few grains I can share, but mine are slow in reproduction. Maybe something to do with quality of milk. That is you still need some

MatataMingi
#80 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:14:35 PM

Hi All people who want a healthier life.

I was introduced to Kefir by @Mukiri and @Kingfisher about 5 years ago.
I bought both water and milk grains from an online site in the UK. They were sent to my wife who was visiting the UK, at the time, and she carried them back to Kenya.

Both versions were successful.

I then had the chance to meet both Mukiri and Kingfisher in a prearranged meeting in Nairobi, in 2013.

I gave them both a few grains for both water and milk grains.

I hope they had success with these.

Anyway, although my grains were doing well, I could not utilize both water and milk kefir.

Water Kefir is much more time consuming than milk.
So I stopped making water Kefir.

My milk kefir is doing well. After all these years, I am producing a liter every 2 days.

However, my grains are not growing. I think as @Mukiri says it has to do with the milk you use.
I can't get reliable,healthy fresh milk in Vipingo, Kilifi County.

I use Bio whole fresh milk. It works well to make the kefir, but the grains are not growing.

The above is my 2 cents to the topic.

And thanks to @kingfisher & @mukiri for introducing me to this wonderful health product.
The best part is that you can make the genuine thing yourself, instead of buying something that that may not be the real deal.

Be healthy - you will also be happy.

Regards