Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<1234>»
Kefir grains
Mukiri
#21 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:59:55 PM

MatataMingi wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
kingfisher wrote:
@mukiri.... grow enough and share.... mimi bado pata?

And you might not get unless you try suggestion aboveSad

@Mukiri, Please indicate "the suggestion above" i.e post number.

My wife is in the UK for 2 weeks. Can she buy and bring these back. What I mean is how long do these survive.

Thanks

Post No #13.

In the UK there's a guy who'd happily deliver them for free, wherever she issmile . Gary- bh3expat@yahoo.com. However she can still buy the starter kits or google kefir users in the area she's in, who share. The good thing with this option is the kefir is guaranteed to work vis-a-vis buying the starter kit.

She could use them while there, thus keeping them alive. Time of travel-transfer them in a glass. As she won't be allowed to board a plane with liquids, when she's aboard... ask for milk and water+sugar (I'm hoping she gets both. They are not interchangeable). They should arrive in Kenia happy to serve. If its too much hustle get the 'live' starter kit.

Ever heard of 'Florastor'? What about 'Hemp Oil' which is allowed in Ireland. Two healthy products I'd be happy to get my hands on.

Proverbs 19:21
kingfisher
#22 Posted : Friday, June 07, 2013 9:05:19 AM

MatataMingi wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
kingfisher wrote:
@mukiri.... grow enough and share.... mimi bado pata?

And you might not get unless you try suggestion aboveSad

@Mukiri, Please indicate "the suggestion above" i.e post number.

My wife is in the UK for 2 weeks. Can she buy and bring these back. What I mean is how long do these survive.

Thanks

kefir grains are usually available in two forms:-

1. FRESH cultures - these must be shipped ASAP by the quickest means possible and put to immediate use for they have very short life.

2. DRY cultures which can be shipped by airmail if need be. Dry cultures have a long shelf life, because they are dormant [asleep]. They need reactivation to use.

So your wife is better off looking for dry cultures which she can put in an envelope and deposit into her handbag. Ask her to get me a few dry grains of milk kefir as well.
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
Mukiri
#23 Posted : Sunday, June 09, 2013 12:44:58 AM

Don't forget to ask for KOMBUCHA starter kitsmile

MatataMingi
#24 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 4:48:45 PM

@kingfisher and @Mukiri

OK guys. Progress report. Some success, and a failure !!!

Mama bought a starter culture from www.buy-kefir.co.uk

I discovered that these are not grains. It is a powder extracted from live Kefir grains. It comes as 3 packets. Each of these packets lasts for 4 to 5 weeks. i.e 28 to 35 liters fer packet.

I have been using the first packet for a week now. I have used fresh Molo & KCC full cream milk. I have also used Brookside full cream Long Life UHT milk. All have worked. Tonight, I will try the Brookside Long Life Low Fat milk to see if this works. In the meantime, apart from drinking the fresh kefir, I have also made smoothies using fresh orange juice & fresh mango fruit. Yum yum.

I then asked Mama to look for grains. She managed to get some from:
www.rawandpure.co.uk

These came as live cultures and had to be used ASAP. This is where the ndrama started.

Mama was in London on a 2 week convention and staying in a hotel. After the convention, she had decided to spend another 10 days visiting friends ALL over the UK. It was therefore not practical to cart these around in taxis, trains extra.
So she abandoned these at her London hotel. SAD.

Anyhow, as per @Kingfisher's suggestion I asked her to get the dehydrated ( dormant ) grains from the same Raw and Pure guys.
She got these and they are safely with me here in Vipingo.

PROPOSED PLAN:

- Milk Grains: I will finish my first packet of the powdered stuff, and then reactivate these. This will be in about 3 to 4 weeks.

- Water Grains: I want to reactivate these next week and start using them.
- Question for @Mukiri: What water are you using for your water grains? Their site says NOT to use tap, filtered or distilled water. It says to use spring or mineral water.
As I don't want to kill these grains, can you kindly let me know what make of bottled water are you using. Thanks

- As soon as I have successfully started making water and later Milk kefir, I will have a LOT of extra grains. I will dehydrate these, pack them in zip lock plastic bags and send these to you guys - with FULL instructions on how to reactivate them.

Happy Healthy days ahead.
Mukiri
#25 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 6:51:25 PM

Sasa wewe! Wait for what to re-activate!!! I'd be like a baby with a new toy! Activate pap! Or you are challenged in-terms of utensils?Drool Remember everything in glass... use FIDO glass jars(you can get them in Nakumatt)

Before I answer your questions, are the grains you got MILK or WATER? I only ask because if they are MILK GRAINS, then telling you what water I use will not help you, ama?
And if they are WATER GRAINS, please ask your mama to get you the MILK GRAINS instead. Water grains you could have easily got.

To answer your questions... I boil my water and then filter it through a simple table-top filtration system. You can get those in Nakumatt. Seeing as your wife loves you, ask her to get you a KAGEN Water filtration system that not only filters your water but adjusts its PH to the right levels. I've tried importing that one to no avail.

And now you are ready for Kefir's big brother KOMBUCHA. This one packs a bigger punch. To make this you need a scoby. A Kombucha Scoby... just like you need grains to make the Kefir. In Kenya, only people who make the Kombucha are 'Wild Remedies' in Malindi.. unfortunately they are not as generous as you and me, in sharing(scoby). So while your wife still loves you, ask her to buy a Kombucha scoby( A live one) or dehydrated one(takes longer to hydrate... and may fail)... or buy UNADULTERATED RAW KOMBUCHA TEA, from whence you can grow your own Scoby(takes a month or so)

simonkabz
#26 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 8:29:14 PM

ku float nayo!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
maka
#27 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 8:34:07 PM

simonkabz wrote:
ku float nayo!

you are not alone...
possunt quia posse videntur
MatataMingi
#28 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:15:34 PM

Mukiri wrote:
Sasa wewe! Wait for what to re-activate!!! I'd be like a baby with a new toy! Activate pap! Or you are challenged in-terms of utensils?Drool Remember everything in glass... use FIDO glass jars(you can get them in Nakumatt)

Before I answer your questions, are the grains you got MILK or WATER? I only ask because if they are MILK GRAINS, then telling you what water I use will not help you, ama?
And if they are WATER GRAINS, please ask your mama to get you the MILK GRAINS instead. Water grains you could have easily got.

To answer your questions... I boil my water and then filter it through a simple table-top filtration system. You can get those in Nakumatt. Seeing as your wife loves you, ask her to get you a KAGEN Water filtration system that not only filters your water but adjusts its PH to the right levels. I've tried importing that one to no avail.

And now you are ready for Kefir's big brother KOMBUCHA. This one packs a bigger punch. To make this you need a scoby. A Kombucha Scoby... just like you need grains to make the Kefir. In Kenya, only people who make the Kombucha are 'Wild Remedies' in Malindi.. unfortunately they are not as generous as you and me, in sharing(scoby). So while your wife still loves you, ask her to buy a Kombucha scoby( A live one) or dehydrated one(takes longer to hydrate... and may fail)... or buy UNADULTERATED RAW KOMBUCHA TEA, from whence you can grow your own Scoby(takes a month or so)

Hi @Mukiri,

Mama is back in Vipingo with me and with BOTH Milk & Water grains.

I think I will use mineral water from Nakumatt. I don't have time to boil /filter water.
sherrif
#29 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:21:38 PM

Nini hizi sasa.I have been reading kaffir.
Mara kombucha,kombucha scopy,kombucha scooby doo.,smh
Mukiri
#30 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:48:57 PM

MatataMingi wrote:
Mukiri wrote:

Hi @Mukiri,

Mama is back in Vipingo with me and with BOTH Milk & Water grains.

I think I will use mineral water from Nakumatt. I don't have time to boil /filter water.

Toast.... to good healthsmile Enjoy!

You can also use the Water grains on coconut water/madafu, so long as the next batch is water again.

Ratio of Water:Grains:Brown Sugar= 1cup:1tablespoon:1tablespoon (You can add fresh ground ginger. Water Kefir grains seem to like it). Use only brown sugar. My batches are 48hrs.

Ever heard of BEET KVASS? PINEAPPLE VINEGAR?

Hope you've been eating healthy, otherwise watch out for 'Healing' Crisis'.

MatataMingi
#31 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:09:34 PM

You can also use the Water grains on coconut water/madafu, so long as the next batch is water again.

Ratio of Water:Grains:Brown Sugar= 1cup:1tablespoon:1tablespoon (You can add fresh ground ginger. Water Kefir grains seem to like it). Use only brown sugar. My batches are 48hrs.

Ever heard of BEET KVASS? PINEAPPLE VINEGAR?

Hope you've been eating healthy, otherwise watch out for 'Healing' Crisis'.

[/quote]

@ Mukiri.

Thanks for the info.
Is the brown sugar the one you get from Mumias,
or the really dark brown wet one.

Also do you use crushed ginger in the first fermentation, or a second one.

Thanks.
Mukiri
#32 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:48:59 PM

Mumias.. or any kawida brown sugar from supermarkets.

In the first ferment. The WATER Kefir grains luv kidogo ginger. In the second ferment, there are no grains.

And since the temperatures in coasto are high/warm, chances is they'll populate fast. Don't overcrowd them.

kingfisher
#33 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:12:39 PM

MatataMingi wrote:
@kingfisher and @Mukiri

OK guys. Progress report. Some success, and a failure !!!

Mama bought a starter culture from www.buy-kefir.co.uk

I discovered that these are not grains. It is a powder extracted from live Kefir grains. It comes as 3 packets. Each of these packets lasts for 4 to 5 weeks. i.e 28 to 35 liters fer packet.

I have been using the first packet for a week now. I have used fresh Molo & KCC full cream milk. I have also used Brookside full cream Long Life UHT milk. All have worked. Tonight, I will try the Brookside Long Life Low Fat milk to see if this works. In the meantime, apart from drinking the fresh kefir, I have also made smoothies using fresh orange juice & fresh mango fruit. Yum yum.

I then asked Mama to look for grains. She managed to get some from:
www.rawandpure.co.uk

These came as live cultures and had to be used ASAP. This is where the ndrama started.

Mama was in London on a 2 week convention and staying in a hotel. After the convention, she had decided to spend another 10 days visiting friends ALL over the UK. It was therefore not practical to cart these around in taxis, trains extra.
So she abandoned these at her London hotel. SAD.

Anyhow, as per @Kingfisher's suggestion I asked her to get the dehydrated ( dormant ) grains from the same Raw and Pure guys.
She got these and they are safely with me here in Vipingo.

PROPOSED PLAN:

- Milk Grains: I will finish my first packet of the powdered stuff, and then reactivate these. This will be in about 3 to 4 weeks.

- Water Grains: I want to reactivate these next week and start using them.
- Question for @Mukiri: What water are you using for your water grains? Their site says NOT to use tap, filtered or distilled water. It says to use spring or mineral water.
As I don't want to kill these grains, can you kindly let me know what make of bottled water are you using. Thanks

- As soon as I have successfully started making water and later Milk kefir, I will have a LOT of extra grains. I will dehydrate these, pack them in zip lock plastic bags and send these to you guys - with FULL instructions on how to reactivate them.

Happy Healthy days ahead.

indeed!!! i feel rejuvenated!!! did you activate pap! as per @mukiri request??? looking forward for the milk grains. someone has offered me the water grains locally, i am collecting them over the weekend. May you and your wife have a tyranny of blessings from the Almighty....and @mukiri too and the white man donating water kefir grains to men. Amen to good health.
danas10
#34 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:11:57 PM

am just floating...nini hii? google haisaidii sana. you guys are activating grains??
kingfisher
#35 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:28:34 PM

danas10 wrote:
am just floating...nini hii? google haisaidii sana. you guys are activating grains??

yes my dear, so that they can grow and grow then I can share with you.
danas10
#36 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:33:17 PM

kingfisher wrote:
danas10 wrote:

hii sielewi how this activation is happening. is it like jack's beanstalk? you only get one and you plant and thats it?
kingfisher
#37 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:00:31 PM

danas10 wrote:
kingfisher wrote:
danas10 wrote:

hii sielewi how this activation is happening. is it like jack's beanstalk? you only get one and you plant and thats it?

you are getting closer
MatataMingi
#38 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:51:16 PM

@ kingfisher. Greetings Bwana.
I activated the water grains pap.
However, as i am using the milk stater culture,which is a
powder that lasts for about 5 weeks, I will activate the milk
grains next week.
As we are just the 2 of us, so we are only making half a liter of milk kefir a day.

Once I activate the milk grains, I will still only need half liter a day. In sha Allah, if all goes well, I think I will get a lot of extra grains.
We will need to work out the logistics of getting these grains from Vipingo to you and @ Mukiri.
Are both of you guys in Nairobi?

WE WILL FIND A WAY.

Best Regards
kingfisher
#39 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:17:20 PM

MatataMingi wrote:
@ kingfisher. Greetings Bwana.
I activated the water grains pap.
However, as i am using the milk stater culture,which is a
powder that lasts for about 5 weeks, I will activate the milk
grains next week.
As we are just the 2 of us, so we are only making half a liter of milk kefir a day.

Once I activate the milk grains, I will still only need half liter a day. In sha Allah, if all goes well, I think I will get a lot of extra grains.
We will need to work out the logistics of getting these grains from Vipingo to you and @ Mukiri.
Are both of you guys in Nairobi?

WE WILL FIND A WAY.

Best Regards

I am in Nairobi... but I can walk to Vipingo if need be just to pick them.
Mukiri
#40 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 2:49:20 PM

simonkabz wrote:
ku float nayo!

maka wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
ku float nayo!

you are not alone...

sherrif wrote:
Nini hizi sasa.I have been reading kaffir.
Mara kombucha,kombucha scopy,kombucha scooby doo.,smh

danas10 wrote:

I wish there was a way of summarizing this without loosing the gist of the matter. I have with me two (easy-read)books 'Gut and Psychology Syndrome' and 'Body ecology diet', which I'd be happy to share with anyone who gives their email.

If I was 'forced' to put it in a sentence... 'ALL DISEASE/CONDITION/ALLERGY ETC STARTS IN THE GUT'. From mental conditions(head) to athletes foot(feet). Your gut-health also affects the health of your husband/wife(sexual partner) and children(fruits of your loins).

It would therefore be in your best interest to ensure your gut is well protected. All these health drinks mentioned, are a cheap way of protecting your gut.... your health... your spouses health(which again affects your own health)... and your children's health.