wazua Wed, May 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Genetically Modified food
Drunkard
#1 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 10:30:38 PM

What do Wazuans and Kenya think about the debate going on right now about GM?
BGL
#2 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 11:11:08 PM

I do support GMO foods. Having said that,the GMO food should be clearly labelled 'like they do it for BAT products' so that consumers can make a choice either based on the right information, misinformation or prejudice.

GMO debate is fueled by interests. Currently our knowledge in genetic engineering is without a doubt specific on what gene to be manipulated and its outcome.
Most of the people shouting the loudest may not have an idea what is the difference between DNA and GENE or even their meaning.
History will not remember you for your IQ. It will remember you for what you did. “Genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration.” Thomas Edison
Drunkard
#3 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 11:25:08 PM

Facts... life expectancy in Kenya, 59 yrs with almost zero GMO food, life expectancy in USA 79 yrs with 81-86% of total corn produce via GMO
kiterunner
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:28:35 AM

IMHO the debate is misplaced and fuelled by ignorance. Its very saddening to see the political class arguing against a cheap alternative for the starving poor. Having said that the govt should be careful not to allow foods that have not been adequately tested for human consumption.
our goals are best achieved indirectly
tassia
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:08:01 AM

Prof Olweny comes out and declares that he has eaten GM food to prove that the food is save. Seems he may not get away with it as some bloggers on Nation.co.ke website note. Here are some of the comments.

"No wonder he looks genetically modified himself!GM food does not have the unadulterated nutrients found in whole organic foods"

"Just Looking at the Prof's face...yes, I agree he has eaten GM food!"

"It is not only his looks; his temper has also been modified!"
bomboclat
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:03:09 AM

GMO's ain't goood and I don't know whey people are advocating for it.

@Kiterunner. Leave alone food that hasn't been tested for human consumption, it should outlaw the importation and sale of anything that's GMO.

Do some research and educate yourselfs.

http://www.naturalnews.c...032492_GMO_biotech.html

http://www.naturalnews.c...67_gene_spill_GMOs.html

http://www.dailymail.co....d-93-unborn-babies.html

jerry
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:18:51 AM

Drunkard wrote:
Facts... life expectancy in Kenya, 59 yrs with almost zero GMO food, life expectancy in USA 79 yrs with 81-86% of total corn produce via GMO

@Drunkard. Give us more examples where GMO food can enhance life expectancy. However, 'natural' foods r definately beta in terms of quality of health.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
alutacontinua
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:29:37 AM

NTV had this story and my first thoughts were why do we need GMO food in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVgclo5FnI

Now thats in TURKANA!!!! which of late we have been seeing pictures of famine and Kenyans starving which has brought about the GMO debate.

It interesting to note that its 750 acres which cost approximately 3.5 million (yes 3.5 million) from FAO and not our own government. We definatly need to re-examine our priorities.
You dont have to be great to START but you have to start to be GREAT!!!!!!!!
bomboclat
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:26:59 AM

alma
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:30:17 AM

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
Ustadh Ongige
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:38:22 AM

Is anyone aware of the impact that GMOs are having on Bee populations (www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZr9ztQPNXA)? No one is asking why more than 60% of the American population is obese? Why healthcare costs in America are exponentialy increasing? Why cancer rates are unprecedented in this same country full of dolts who are not in the least concerned?

There are consequences to mocking about in such matters. This country needs to pursue alternatives that are ecologically sound. We need better anticipation of climatic changes and to better manage the Agricultural production to create food security instead of relying on alternatives that could provide insurmountable challenges to our own feeble minded and uncaring government in the future.

Yesterday an Apple a day kept the doctor away, but today as a result of high pesticide content, an apple a day will probably put you in hospital some day. This proves that there are patches in human knowledge that are yet unfilled and are mostly of unsound basis. We perpetually create problems and bask in our own soiled diapers..
Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
Isaiah 45:22
VituVingiSana
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:44:22 AM

Well, since many Kenyans produce kids faster than GMO maize grows, I am not sure how it will benefit us.

Kenyans should stop breeding like rabbits. Do I feel sorry for the starving folks in North Eastern? Yes, until I see a woman with 5 kids. And pregnant with another!

Juzi, juzi NTV's nyamira county edition had a story of a woman with 26 kids. What happens to her farm? Sub-divide into 26 pieces?

Even if some kids move to the city, get married & move or die. Say she is left with 13. Then what? 13 acres divided into 1 acre for each kid?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Drunkard
#13 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 5:51:41 PM

jerry wrote:
Drunkard wrote:

@Drunkard. Give us more examples where GMO food can enhance life expectancy. However, 'natural' foods r definately beta in terms of quality of health.

I would take natural food as the best food for one's health, however, it is obvious that organic food can nolonger sustain the population, you can either die of malnurishment, starvation or eat GMO, Americans does and they still live upto average of 79yrs!
For Sport
#14 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 6:11:31 PM

Drunkard wrote:

How is life expectancy computed?
Is it high in the US BECAUSE of GM food or because they have controlled their leading causes of death?
youcan'tstopusnow
#15 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 6:12:22 PM

I would encourage EVERYONE to watch a documentary called FOOD INC! Noma. It will open your eyes on how the global agricultural market is manipulated in favour of a few entities thus compromising the health of the population at large
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
youcan'tstopusnow
#16 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 6:14:33 PM

For Sport wrote:
Drunkard wrote:

How is life expectancy computed?
Is it high in the US BECAUSE of GM food or because they have controlled their leading causes of death?

For SportApplause Applause
And maybe after removing GM foods, the US life expectancy may shoot up to 110 years
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
Lolest!
#17 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 6:17:52 PM

alutacontinua wrote:
NTV had this story and my first thoughts were why do we need GMO food in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVgclo5FnI

Now thats in TURKANA!!!! which of late we have been seeing pictures of famine and Kenyans starving which has brought about the GMO debate.

It interesting to note that its 750 acres which cost approximately 3.5 million (yes 3.5 million) from FAO and not our own government. We definatly need to re-examine our priorities.

i found it shameful that we couldnt raise such a small sum for such an important project that would reduce dependency on donations
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Sober
#18 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 6:26:22 PM

We cant bring in the issue of life expectancy in relarion to GM foods because other factors like health care play an important role in determining.
In tha 1980s when the now popular hybrid maize was being introduces, we had similar arguements.
Tafakari hayo.
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
bomboclat
#19 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 6:44:13 PM

@ Drunkard.
Wacha bangi mingi.
Increased expectancy saa ngapi.
When I was in Kenya, the number of diseases that I knew or heard of was small and were not catastrophic compared to when I came to States. The numbers are just alarming. Do some research and stop depending on Olweny.

Sometime back, I enquired on how much it would cost to dig a borehole/well, the one that has water for good once dug and Kenya army gave me a quotation of a million shs. If the army has those equipments, why should some Kenyans starve??
Drunkard
#20 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 7:32:57 PM

Death is certain for Kenyans, life expectancy is somewhere around 59yrs, USA use GMO food in their daily diet but their life expectancy is 79yrs, a good 20yrs after we die, so I know for sure that if I eat GMO it won't have any effect until I die, if I don't I would potentially die of starvation before my 30th birthday, so don't eat, I will eat!