wazua Thu, May 9, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
AIRTEL- Safaricom in danger
youcan'tstopusnow
#21 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 11:29:17 PM

'user' wrote:
How i wish airtel succeeds in bringing us cheaper data services!!they revolutionised the voice services ,im hoping they succeed in this.i being a customer / user

Applause
True, the way some people are here, you'd think they had a controlling stake in either of the 2 companies. Just enjoy the (impending) cheaper rates!
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
mwekez@ji
#22 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 11:45:10 PM

Bring it on Airtel

As a consumer, I welcome Airtel move and hope it will lead to a drop in data cost

Those saying that this will not have an impact on Sufering-con should think again. Sufering-con has been trying to shore up its revenue by charging exorbitant prices for data, like the 2 bob per minute package.
KenyanLyrics
#23 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:06:04 AM

Here are Safcom's key competitive advantages:

- Brand recognition
- Network effects of high user registration
- Special employees
- Better infrastructure
- Data Speeds
- MPESA

Safcom's competitive advantage has NEVER been price, so Airtel must start aiming for all these areas (though I still believe reducing pricing was a good move)
Jamani
#24 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 5:46:56 AM

KenyanLyrics wrote:

- Brand recognition
- Special employees
- Better infrastructure
- Data Speeds
- MPESA

Safcom's competitive advantage has NEVER been price, so Airtel must start aiming for all these areas (though I still believe reducing pricing was a good move)

Thats the reason i keep saying Safcom is not in any danger, airtel has its strategy all wrong, they keep reducing prices every other day but where are the numbers? they wont win or push safcom by price reduction and by the way they dont reduce prices because they love you and me its because they need numbers, these never come.
Most here shouting loudest airtel airtel dont even own airtel numbers, they just want to use airtel for price reduction nothing more. ATs strategy will only lead to delayed profits and closure of one firm we all know which one it will be.....
sparkly
#25 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 7:25:42 AM

Bob's safaricom strategy is customer centric. MJ's was product development. Btw i joined the postpaid bundle plan, and while i don't 'like' SCM, am not complaining.
Life is short. Live passionately.
hisah
#26 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:12:18 AM

Jamani wrote:
KenyanLyrics wrote:

- Brand recognition
- Special employees
- Better infrastructure
- Data Speeds
- MPESA

Thats the reason i keep saying Safcom is not in any danger, airtel has its strategy all wrong, they keep reducing prices every other day but where are the numbers? they wont win or push safcom by price reduction and by the way they dont reduce prices because they love you and me its because they need numbers, these never come.
Most here shouting loudest airtel airtel dont even own airtel numbers, they just want to use airtel for price reduction nothing more. ATs strategy will only lead to delayed profits and closure of one firm we all know which one it will be.....

Airtel should just strategize on innovative products, not copycat unless they're chinese who make outstanding duplicates!
But to get this going they need safcom like employees. Are there some in the market? If not, poach some just like in sports esp athletics & football...

Mpesa is a super product, but I think an integrated solution for all would work even more super wonders. Something like bitcoins (google it)...
This is an idea for both the financial & telco mobile money where money is a shared resource and not a scarce one... Yes, at this moment my future goggles are on smile
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
Josey
#27 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 10:29:15 AM

Truth be told, AIRTEL entrant in Kenya was God sent, we had suffered under SafariCon's rule for a very long time. While some of us might still be in SafariCon because of MPESA thing, the charges are now reasonable for voice.
Bottomline AIRTEL bring the 3G on....
QW25071985
#28 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 11:37:46 AM

KenyanLyrics wrote:

- Brand recognition
- Special employees
- Better infrastructure
- Data Speeds
- MPESA

do you ever enjoy the speeds ????? ama unakula tu na macho...hahahah
kivairu
#29 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 1:23:07 PM

'user' wrote:
How i wish airtel succeeds in bringing us cheaper data services!!they revolutionised the voice services ,im hoping they succeed in this.i being a customer / user

Dude educate me...how did airtel revolutionise the telco industry? Airtel is a distant runner up to safcom, by any measure, any revolution from airtel would have closed the gap by now.Butt... sorry bharti airtel irrationaly tried to jump over the cliff, but didnt want to go down alone, tried to kill the telco industry.That's what revolutionising the industry means to you?

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein.
hisah
#30 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:53:50 PM

Airtel Kenya likely to head here soon...

http://blog.chhahat.com/...y-for-user-or-not-?.html
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
kanda
#31 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:59:57 PM

kivairu, if it was not for airtel we would still be paying 8bob per min and 5bob per mb. but we are paying 1-2 bob and 0.5-1 bob respectively: ~80% reduction in both cases!! now what part of that dont you know???? and yet the telco in kenya is alive and well.

on what basis do you assert that airtel was intent on killing telco? open your eyes and break out of the siege mentality propagated by safcon. show some gratitude to airtel.

it always baffles me when ppl argue about this issue. seems majority of kenyans are challenged in independent thot even with regard to the most basic concepts and even where there is glaring evidence. oh no, we must listen to joe to tell us what's good for the telco in kenya. . what do you expect him to say? the situation is laughable, sad, disheartening!
mchuuzi
#32 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:01:12 PM

kanda wrote:
kivairu, if it was not for airtel we would still be paying 8bob per min and 5bob per mb. but we are paying 1-2 bob and 0.5-1 bob respectively: ~80% reduction in both cases!! now what part of that dont you know???? and yet the telco in kenya is alive and well.

on what basis do you assert that airtel was intent on killing telco? open your eyes and break out of the siege mentality propagated by safcon. show some gratitude to airtel.

it always baffles me when ppl argue about this issue. seems majority of kenyans are challenged in independent thot even with regard to the most basic concepts and even where there is glaring evidence. oh no, we must listen to joe to tell us what's good for the telco in kenya. . what do you expect him to say? the situation is laughable, sad, disheartening!

@Kanda If you call at 1 bob across networks as a company you have overheads and this overheads have to be met.I agree it was a good thing to bring the prices down but bring them down to a level which makes buisness sense.Of what use is a cheap calling rate where your service is so poor because you do not have the money to maintain it.Kenyans have lost jobs with the Airtel madness and they will continue losing jobs so why continue fighting unreasonable price wars.
mozenrat
#33 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:01:40 PM

@Kanda.. The thing about Airtel is that their shenanigans are visible in other markets. I agree with you that they helped slash prices. but they did the same in India and 3 years down the line (after bruising the other Telcos badly) have now raised their call rates 20% with further hikes expected.
http://blog.chhahat.com/...-for-user-or-not-?.html
Silk
#34 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:25:01 PM

How fast we forget Airtel/Kencell started it all!!! We were all in Kencell suffering in the burden of per minute billing until Safaricom came with per sec billing.
Njunge
#35 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 3:01:50 PM

Bob Collymore's arrogance:

“We are not going to move our prices. If we lose market share as a result of that then that is fine"

So he should stop sending Safcom line users that offer of sijui 25% blah blah. He should also stop calling me Dear. I am Guka.......but heck, since the beginning of the year, i am permanently on Airtel for voice and data while my Safcom line is strictly for Mpesa. Quite pocket friendly unlike his mathogothanio and i am good with that.

Kenyan Oracle
#36 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 3:24:25 PM

Njunge wrote:

“We are not going to move our prices. If we lose market share as a result of that then that is fine"

So he should stop sending Safcom line users that offer of sijui 25% blah blah. He should also stop calling me Dear. I am Guka.......but heck, since the beginning of the year, i am permanently on Airtel for voice and data while my Safcom line is strictly for Mpesa. Quite pocket friendly unlike his mathogothanio and i am good with that.

I agree with you Guka, the only thing tying me to Safcon is the Mpesa thingy. Strickly that.
You lose money chasing women, but you never lose women chasing money - NAS
murchr
#37 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 3:42:41 PM

Njunge wrote:

Kwani this is the first time? This has been Airtels strategy since they bought zain and Safcom responce has been the same
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Njunge
#38 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 4:00:34 PM

murchr wrote:
Njunge wrote:

Kwani this is the first time? This has been Airtels strategy since they bought zain and Safcom responce has been the same

All i can remember is Airtel coming up with a 2 bob tariff across network a few days ago. Bob responds by the statement above. Airtel did not ask him for a price fight and i doubt anybody did.Sasa anatuletea kiherere ya nini?Sad
murchr
#39 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 4:16:31 PM

Njunge wrote:
murchr wrote:
Njunge wrote:

All i can remember is Airtel coming up with a 2 bob tariff across network a few days ago. Bob responds by the statement above. Airtel did not ask him for a price fight and i doubt anybody did.Sasa anatuletea kiherere ya nini?Sad

Go a few posts up. Safaricom has a KYC - know your customers strategy that they employ to make decisions. They know most people may not use 2/- in a call. By the way Airtel is per minute billing so even if you talk in less than a minute 2/- is gone
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore