wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages<12345>»
Poultry Farming Section
dijkstra
#41 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:57:23 AM

Hunderwear wrote:
dijkstra wrote:
I think Prices depend on the area (around Ruiru)
where I am..
wholesalers: those who sell to shops, hotels..ksh240
Retailers: shops, hotels, supermarkets..ksh250

where r u at?

Kigumo konstituency some 50 km from Thika town.Today I pulled a 237 per tray.240 is close to good enough i thnk.The best way I think is to go for the market without brokers.

that looks good considering your location. am sure you get cheaper labour, free water, cheaper elec tarrif etc.
dijkstra
#42 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:05:40 AM

Kwanini wrote:
@hunderwear, am impressed by your numbers! just wondering if u keep records of costs ? 1000 pcs would be consuming about 7-8 sacks per week ? Thats like 20k per week? u r loaded bro!

Kindly Recommend madawa ya vacinnation - what u r using. The last time i tried this project the cocci and related avian gods were not amused!

@Kwanini; how did u arrive at 7-8bags for the 1000 birds per week? Have read that chicken will consume 120g of feed per day. this would mean 120kg*7days=12 bags. This is how i calculate my feed and the kukus finish it by 2PM.. and am forced to add some more.

How much do you guys feed, say per 100 birds per day?

I believe getting the optimum amount of feed without affecting production is one of the best ways to max returns.
Hunderwear
#43 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:52:24 PM

Kwanini wrote:
@hunderwear, am impressed by your numbers! just wondering if u keep records of costs ? 1000 pcs would be consuming about 7-8 sacks per week ? Thats like 20k per week? u r loaded bro!

Kindly Recommend madawa ya vacinnation - what u r using. The last time i tried this project the cocci and related avian gods were not amused!

>I always order 12 sacks a week and sometimes one sack wil remain by the next order.It varies from 11_13 sacks from experience.The high quality feeds are better as they give better production with lower consumption.The best way to go for the medicines is STRICTLY AS PRESCRIBED BY THE HATCHERY COMPANY!I deal with kenchic and Muguku and they give different medicns and in diferent times/phases.kindly talk to the company that sold you the chicks and you are sorted.
PATTIE
#44 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:31:29 PM

@hunderwear

''>I always order 12 sacks a week and sometimes one sack wil remain by the next order.It varies from 11_13 sacks from experience.The high quality feeds are better as they give better production with lower consumption.''

which feed of high quality do you give since feed of late has become substandard?
am ready to sell my kukus since they ve cut production to less than 50%.
very desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hunderwear
#45 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:00:56 AM

PATTIE wrote:
@hunderwear

''>I always order 12 sacks a week and sometimes one sack wil remain by the next order.It varies from 11_13 sacks from experience.The high quality feeds are better as they give better production with lower consumption.''

which feed of high quality do you give since feed of late has become substandard?

>Legorn Feeds rather expensive@2440 per sack but worth it.Am also interjecting with Newday feeds once in a while@2280 when I feel the legorn feeds dont have enough maize.
dijkstra
#46 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:47:26 AM

Hunderwear wrote:
PATTIE wrote:
@hunderwear

>Legorn Feeds rather expensive@2440 per sack but worth it.Am also interjecting with Newday feeds once in a while@2280 when I feel the legorn feeds dont have enough maize.

Have always used unga/pembe. Quite expensive but quality seems guaranteed. Has anyone tried other feeds like newday, legorn, pwani, etc and can testify that they match or exceed unga/pembe? especially for Layers?
Prime
#47 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:56:48 AM

Looks like a tricky affair...chicken rearing. Only 3 ways out.
1. Get a way of "manufacturing" chicken feed. An egg contains so much protein. for it to produce an egg daily then you need food containig lots n lots of protein. Thinking in the lines of soya, sunflower seeds, and fishmeal.

2. Create a market for disposal. if you own a hotel, school, cake shop etc, then it makes sense to keep chicken.

3. If you come from a place where there are several people keeping chicken then form a chama-like group whereby you can order the chicken feed as a group directly from the manufacturing company and bypass the wholesalers. That is bound to bring down the cost of food considerably.

any other suggestions can be considered. However, as more people chomeka with the business and give up, there will be a less over crowded market and the few who persevere stand to gain something.
Hunderwear
#48 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 5:35:03 AM

dijkstra wrote:
Hunderwear wrote:
PATTIE wrote:
@hunderwear

Have always used unga/pembe. Quite expensive but quality seems guaranteed. Has anyone tried other feeds like newday, legorn, pwani, etc and can testify that they match or exceed unga/pembe? especially for Layers?

@djkstra.How much is the price of unga&pembe layers mash a sack.what % of eggs does it give?
dijkstra
#49 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 1:36:44 PM

Hunderwear wrote:
dijkstra wrote:
Hunderwear wrote:
PATTIE wrote:
@hunderwear

@djkstra.How much is the price of unga&pembe layers mash a sack.what % of eggs does it give?

unga2600,pembe2700 per 70kg... eggs around 85%
icecube
#50 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:41:33 PM

@dijkstra, Hunderwear and PATTIE, I have learnt alot about poultry farming from your posts, thanks a lot. Now, to you all, I plan to venture into this farming in the next few months. Can you advice where to start, e.g where to get reliable chicks, feeds, specs for chicken house/enclosure and any other info that wll help a starter like me?
Dod
#51 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:50:05 AM

@Icecube
Kenchic conduct fee training every Mondays from 8am to 12pm at their Libra House office, Mombasa Road.
You will surely get some useful info.
The rich have money working for them; the poor and the middle class are going to work for money.
iKenya
#52 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:13:07 AM

free ama fee? yaani kulipa?
Quote:
Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own...
Dod
#53 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:47:30 PM

It is free.
Just carry some writing material.
The rich have money working for them; the poor and the middle class are going to work for money.
IDP
#54 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:20:55 AM

Can one dispose laying birds? ie if the production is at 50% and so costs are way above production. is it prudent to hang on as u bring in new birds? How do you p'ple go abt it?
PATTIE
#55 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 7:36:40 PM

hi wazuans.
want to import an incubator from South Africa, so what is the customs duty, excise payable for it. any KRA reference where i can get this fees?
please help
Hunderwear
#56 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:26:27 PM

IDP wrote:
Can one dispose laying birds? ie if the production is at 50% and so costs are way above production. is it prudent to hang on as u bring in new birds? How do you p'ple go abt it?

YOU may want to understand the cause of the low yield before you sel.Try different feeds esp
IDP
#57 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 10:58:33 AM

PATTIE wrote:
hi wazuans.
want to import an incubator from South Africa, so what is the customs duty, excise payable for it. any KRA reference where i can get this fees?
please help

I thought ALL agricultural machinery were zero-rated.
GITHUKUSM
#58 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 11:23:35 AM

On average what are the % returns without considering the fixed costs like structures etc per year.when we say times are bad sometimes its relative.
PATTIE
#59 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:27:21 PM

hi all. i've 4 months DOREP KUKU KIENYENJI cockrels 4 sale. any take? going price-1000bob.
suekim
#60 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:49:41 PM

Please advise:
Am Planning to start incubating and egg business, Would like to hear from anyone who has tried this or is in the business, and what you would advise before I source for an incubator from china.
Also would like to know if its a profitable business.