wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
GCSE v 8-4-4
Ric dees
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:13:49 PM

I would like to hear different views on these two systems, and what am really after is not just in academics but what the two systems offer to our children in the long run as a whole!

I am beginning to think my kids would be better off in GCSE schools than in 8-4-4!!

What do you guys think?

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.
KenyanLyrics
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:45:15 PM

8-4-4 produces much more disciplined children by high school level, but if you don't watch out, all developmental efforts could go down the drain given the freedom of uni.

GSCE produces lazy ass sons of bitches who really need to be pimp-slapped into the real world at high school level. Best thing is to ship them to a uni in the west, where tertiary education is taken by students as the most serious stage of learning.

Advice is from the experience of having some 8-4-4 friends and some GSCE friends.
Dash
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:50:05 AM

@kenya lyrics, am gcse product and local uni graduate with an undergrad,masters and doing my phd with a family and a good job. I worked my ass off in school to get to this level so which part of lazy ass son of bitch applies to me??
@ ric dees I was in 844 in primary and gcse in secondary. The biggest difference I experienced is that in gcse you are exposed to alot of extra curricula. Its not all about the books and I got a couple of friends who were not the top performers but because of their prowess in swimming, golf and cricket, got full scholarships for their uni abroad. The top performers also got scholarships but again abroad because local unis dont provide such (that is a disadvantage of gcse and local unis) Your child can get into public unis but as module 2 and in the private unis without a problem.
mukiha
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:39:26 AM

While thinking about GCSE vs KCSE, you might also want to consider the question of private vs public school. Unfortunately, there is no public school offering GCSE in Kenya.

Perhaps the "lazy" character described by Kenyanlyrics has more to do with high cost private schooling than the education system.
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
mukiha
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:40:48 AM

mukiha wrote:
While thinking about GCSE vs KCSE, you might also want to consider the question of private vs public school. Unfortunately, there is no public school offering GCSE in Kenya.

Perhaps the "lazy" character described by Kenyanlyrics has more to do with high cost private schooling than the education system.

Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
bkismat
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:06:00 AM

The Geography and History of GSCE and KCSE very different.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
Dash
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:18:46 AM

Oh yes I forgot about that. The History concentrates on european history during the two world war eras and the geography is divided into physical and human geography but global geography not concentrating on Kenya only, kiswahili is done done but is an option depending on what language one chooses
KulaRaha
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:27:08 AM

I think GCSE is more all rounded, while 844 is more Kenyan.

Both my kids do GCSE and aren't lazy or useless.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
bkismat
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:03:57 AM

Are there any reasonably priced schools offering GCSE? Or do all those parents have to pay through the nose?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
mukiha
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:04:05 AM

During our days, British universities admitting Kenyans used to give preference to those with KACE over those with GCE-A
Ric dees
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:55:10 AM

i think Kenyalyrics you don't know what you are talking about.I maybe obviously biased but from where i work over 90% did GCSE, a couple of us from Africa and Asia did local based exams that said are these guys lazy or all those things you said defenitely not.

Let me throw a curve-ball to this, i think in most GCSE schools you are bound to meet with the families who own/preserve Capital in this country and elsewhere, what does this translate in-terms of networking for your kids in the future? I see it all the time where i work, the lads from Eaton who then went on to Cambridge have an almost inpenetratable outfit by 'outsiders' and this are the same guys when they move on and form their own Hedge fund firms, they in turn get backing by former schoolmates and partner with them as well.

Let me ask what are the chances your kids who went to 8-4-4 will cross paths with say kids who went to St Andrews Turi? What do you think an 8-4-4 educated child will bring to the table and a GCSE educated can't but the converse cannot be said!!

My daughter is almost 4 years she obviously does GCSE, when we are home and she hangs out with kids of my friends and relas of roughly the same age and well the difference is almost as clear as night and day!!

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.
mukiha
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:42:52 PM

@Ric dees; do you not think that it is also important to expose your child to the full spectrum of our society? Are they not missing something if they only interact "with the families who own/preserve Capital in this country and elsewhere"?

Is it fair to assume that success in life only means material success - gained by having made connections during one's school days?

It obviously isn't a straightforward matter of crossing out the pros vs the cons.
Ric dees
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 1:59:37 PM

Mukiha, not by a mile but you got to admit it's hugely important to have a support network that you can relie upon however there liesin the difference, our defenitions of support network, you will define what this will be and its meaning!!

XSK
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:07:34 PM

mukiha wrote:
@Ric dees; do you not think that it is also important to expose your child to the full spectrum of our society? Are they not missing something if they only interact "with the families who own/preserve Capital in this country and elsewhere"?

Is it fair to assume that success in life only means material success - gained by having made connections during one's school days?

It obviously isn't a straightforward matter of crossing out the pros vs the cons.

Mukihan na Ric dees

Are you kenyans? or more precisely do you live in his country? People have bigger issues than deciding whether its GCSE or 8 4 4. For the bigger population there is no option!
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
mukiha
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:18:08 PM

@XSK;
I am Kenyan and I live right here in Kenya. I don't know about @Ric dees.

If you go to the opening post of this thread, you will see that Ric asked for opinions in order to make a decision. He wasn't asking for the benefit of "the bigger population": It was for his personal use.

Much the same way we ask about car models, yet "the bigger population" have no option but to walk or take matatus.
Ric dees
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:49:55 PM

@XSK would you care to share of the bigger issues you may have in mind, maybe i could just learn something.

MaichBlack
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:07:46 PM

Dash wrote:
@kenya lyrics, am gcse product and local uni graduate

@ I got a couple of friends who were not the top performers but because of their prowess in swimming, golf and cricket, got full scholarships for their uni abroad. The top performers also got scholarships but again abroad because local unis dont provide

And you did not get a scholarship! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Relax! Just messing with you!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
XSK
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:36:42 PM

Double post
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
XSK
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:38:32 PM

XSK wrote:
mukiha wrote:
@XSK;
I am Kenyan and I live right here in Kenya. I don't know about @Ric dees.

If you go to the opening post of this thread, you will see that Ric asked for opinions in order to make a decision. He wasn't asking for the benefit of "the bigger population": It was for his personal use.

Much the same way we ask about car models, yet "the bigger population" have no option but to walk or take matatus.

@Mukiha and @Ric dees

1. A good portion of the leaders forget about politicians in kenya are "grassroot". It basically means that same environment can provide different characters.
2. The best performers in schools are not necesarily the best performers in "life"

From the above it really means that it boils down to the individual, the environmental plays a role but its not the only factor. Just look around you will see.

muganda
#20 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 5:08:16 PM

Now where do we go from here...