Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
Rain Water Harvesting
nostoppingthis
#21 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:41:37 PM

Gathige wrote:
@nostoppingthis,

I will inbox u my email.

For me i just used the normal coloured profile mabatis. I just hope they do not release Zinc ( in case they have any). You get bigger volumes with Concrete that u can get with Plastic. My 50,000 litres i assume there is no plastic of that Size ( and if any, could be too big for a small compound). With a well done concere there would be no seepage as both the interior and exterior walls are well finished

On effluent, i have no input. Try a new posts and there could be a green Wazua with ideas.

Awaiting your correspondence....
Check on whether the mabati has zinc incase your are consuming this maji or using it for cooking. That is one question one asks if interested in water catchment...
About the highlighted part, i prefer underground tanks, and these you can even weka under the garage...it works perfectly and maximizes use of space in a small compound....think about it
dunkang
#22 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:07:37 PM

RAIN WATER HARVESTING

Suppose u have a house that measures 12m by 12m (i.e 40X40ft), this means that the amount of water u can collect in a year is 12X12X1.2=172.8cc or 172,800liters. (Here, we take the annual rainfall is 1200mm).

According to demand, for a middle class household, the daily demand is 150liters per day per person, which is to say 54,750liters annually. For a house with a dad, mom and 2 kids, the figure is 219,000liters.

This means, if you can be able to collect all rain water, this is 78.9% of your demand.

Size of the tank will be derived from a mass curve (cumulative demand vs cumulative rainfall curve).

To cut my long story short, am strongly advocating for RAINWATER HARVESTING from roofs, rocks, streams etc.

For any details, don't hesitate to consult a water engineer. Here at Kenya, someone needs to come up with a policy that all buildings MUST be fitted with a rainwater collection mechanism and the government gives incentives (tax laxes on construction equipments and fuel) to individuals and corporates that harvest's rain.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

Gathige
#23 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:32:03 PM

@ dunkang,

Excellent! It cannot be better said than you have put it.

More still,, with better house-hold water utilization there is enough rain water for us all. Simple things like letting water flow on the tap while u brush your teeth is a pure water waster, when all i needed is a "Kikombe" size water to brush! Add this to the flush of 20 Litres every time one uses a toilet. Literally most of the Water goes down the drain.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
tom_boy
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:02:54 PM

Gathige wrote:

On effluent, i have no input. Try a new posts and there could be a green Wazua with ideas.

I have built a house where I have channeled all grey water to a small underground concrete tank. The tank has 3 partitions that connect to each other. The first small partition is layered with sand, gravel, ballast and quarry chips (top to bottom). It connects via an opening at the bottom to the second chamber where water overflows over the top to the main holding chamber. This way, chamber 1 and 2 are always full with water. I intend to use this water for watering my lawn. It does not smell as normal grey water would after storage but I need to get a biodegradable soap to be used in the house. If I had been brighter, I would have done seperate plumbing for the toilet cistern water so I could pump this 'purified water' to a tank in the ceiling that is dedicated to serving the toilets only. Literature says that this purification method is so thorough that you can even re use the water for household chores like washing and even showering.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
nostoppingthis
#25 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 9:27:41 AM

@Dunkang, that's true....
@Gathige, thanx alot, i know have the number and will talk to the guy when the time is right
@tom_boy, the WC water I wouldn't want to purify for any use....But the suggestion was to channel kitchen and bathroom water for watering the lawn, your idea of a tank to purify this looks good, but not for WC water....
Barrywhite
#26 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 9:45:48 AM

@nostoppingthis,@tom_boy

I agree. I have done the same. I did totally independent plumbing work for black water, and for grey water. Black water is generally of very little volume and that goes to a small sceptic tank and the waste decomposes naturally without any intervention by me. The grey water - bathrooms, laundry, kitchen and run-off from the compound goes to a soak pit, where l have installed a small pedrollo pump and have run the piping along the perimeter wall and the house perimeter. Twice a week, l switch on the pump for one hour. My lawn is ever green!
The laudable is more often than not rendered laughable by overclaim
tom_boy
#27 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 7:42:17 PM

@nostop...
My system utilizes the grey water. The black water goes to a conventional septic tank.
@barry.. How have you done the piping? Did you use drip irrigation lines or do you use sprinklers? I had not thought of pumping direct, thanks for the idea.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
tonicasert
#28 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:55:56 PM

Very interesting green ideas!
Blackberry
#29 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2011 3:29:18 PM

tom_boy wrote:
@nostop...
My system utilizes the grey water. The black water goes to a conventional septic tank.

black water? grey....?? Applause Applause Applause amazing!

Opinion is free, truth is sacred.

dunkang
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:05:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Grey Water ---- All waste water from kitchen, bathrooms etc.

Black/Brakish Water --- All waste water from the TOILET!
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

kyt
#31 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 5:30:49 PM

dunkang wrote:
RAIN WATER HARVESTING

Suppose u have a house that measures 12m by 12m (i.e 40X40ft), this means that the amount of water u can collect in a year is 12X12X1.2=172.8cc or 172,800liters. (Here, we take the annual rainfall is 1200mm).

According to demand, for a middle class household, the daily demand is 150liters per day per person, which is to say 54,750liters annually. For a house with a dad, mom and 2 kids, the figure is 219,000liters.

This means, if you can be able to collect all rain water, this is 78.9% of your demand.

Size of the tank will be derived from a mass curve (cumulative demand vs cumulative rainfall curve).

To cut my long story short, am strongly advocating for RAINWATER HARVESTING from roofs, rocks, streams etc.

For any details, don't hesitate to consult a water engineer. Here at Kenya, someone needs to come up with a policy that all buildings MUST be fitted with a rainwater collection mechanism and the government gives incentives (tax laxes on construction equipments and fuel) to individuals and corporates that harvest's rain.

that is a lot of water for 1 person 7 jerricans!! eish!!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
kyt
#32 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 5:32:32 PM

how much is a 1000 liter plastic water tank, the cylindrical ones?
GGK
#33 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 5:52:48 PM

Between 8 and 10k depending on where you are

kyt wrote:

"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
Njung'e
#34 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 7:01:42 PM

Flush toilets are a total waste....Or are there economical ones which uses less than 5 litres per session?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Euge
#35 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 8:29:38 PM

Njung'e wrote:
Flush toilets are a total waste....Or are there economical ones which uses less than 5 litres per session?

Yeah there are. I think they use 2litres per flash. A number of institutions are using this nowadays.
Lord, thank you!
Barrywhite
#36 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:53:46 AM

@tom-boy
Sprinkler irrigation is so wasteful of water. I use drip irrigation and have done the garden in such a way it has a natural gradient, thus the water spreads down the gradient naturally.
kyt
#37 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:19:11 PM

GGK wrote:
Between 8 and 10k depending on where you are

kyt wrote:

@ggk which brand is the best? And where can i get one?
Swanky2010
#38 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 12:58:16 PM

Gathige wrote:
@nostoppingthis,

I will inbox u my email.

For me i just used the normal coloured profile mabatis. I just hope they do not release Zinc ( in case they have any). You get bigger volumes with Concrete that u can get with Plastic. My 50,000 litres i assume there is no plastic of that Size ( and if any, could be too big for a small compound). With a well done concere there would be no seepage as both the interior and exterior walls are well finished

which company did you purchase the mabatis from?
Swanky2010
#39 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 12:59:47 PM

Euge wrote:
Njung'e wrote:

Yeah there are. I think they use 2litres per flash. A number of institutions are using this nowadays.

any idea on company selling this?
Barrywhite
#40 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 2:14:58 PM

Tile & carpet, mombasa rd