wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Rain Water Harvesting
Gathige
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:40:05 AM

Anyone out who needs tips on how to harness rain water for your home use? I recently completed two projects and happy that all my water needs are sorted out and no one will ever bill me for water!

Would be happy to share tips with anyone interested on how to do it right and avoid being conned my masons!
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
subzero
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:25:27 AM

Kindly share you tips,
what's the size of your tank(s)?
what material is your tank made of (concrete ama plastic) ?
Are concrete tanks good enough, even some very good concrete tanks are known to sip out water.
are your tanks underground or overground?
does the rain water meet all your need ama it supplements some already existing supply,
Gathige
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:50:17 AM

@subzero

i have 2 tanks each with a volume of 50,000 litres. They are made of normal machine cuts stones well done by a tanks fundi. They are sub-underground ( 60% under and 40% above ground) The following tips would help,

1. Avoid using fundis who build houses to do for you a water tank.
2. Get a water tank fundi with good references. Most good ones have references from Kenya Rain water association.
3. Avoid myths like hard stones are the best, use water proof cement etc. All that is important is the building technique and the skills used.
4. Ensure a good gutter system is done to both ensure first rains water is drained away and only clean water gets to your tank.

Hope this helps
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
kyt
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:02:15 PM

How do you ensure the first rain water is drained out? lets hypothesize a rainfall that lasts 4 hrs or overnight.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
keke2
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:02:57 PM

@Gathige Thanks for this useful info.However I have 2 main concerns which has been a challenge to me.
1 How to clean and drain the afterwash
2 which roof material did you use coz I am told not all are healthy for domestic use.
Pray some enlightment.I want to reduce my bills too.
Gathige
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:41:11 PM

@keke2
The afterwash is dealt with by the guttering system. Its designed in a way the first rains just run-off. My roofing is Profile Mabati
Barrywhite
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:03:53 PM

@ Gathige. Thank you boss for this. You also need to put water-bars when using water-proof cement.

I used the same fundi who build my house and my tank is good 3 years later. For the gutter though, l used the supplier. I cant complain. Used to pay private water supplier 2k a month; now l mostly pay him the 2k only once or maximum twice a month! I wish l build a bigger tank!
The laudable is more often than not rendered laughable by overclaim
jjred
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:49:05 PM

Gathige wrote:
@subzero

i have 2 tanks each with a volume of 50,000 litres. They are made of normal machine cuts stones well done by a tanks fundi. They are sub-underground ( 60% under and 40% above ground) The following tips would help,

1. Avoid using fundis who build houses to do for you a water tank.
2. Get a water tank fundi with good references. Most good ones have references from Kenya Rain water association.
3. Avoid myths like hard stones are the best, use water proof cement etc. All that is important is the building technique and the skills used.
4. Ensure a good gutter system is done to both ensure first rains water is drained away and only clean water gets to your tank.

Hope this helps

@Gathige,
Thanks for sharing great wisdom right here,How much did it cost you tentatively?
Gathige
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:05:18 PM

@jjred. It cost me roughly 350k for the 2 tanks. My estimate is it will payback in 7-8yrs based on the cost of water previously bought. Other benefits includes clean water, enviromentally friendly and the one i like most i no longer get home to be told " Hakuna Maji leo"
Blackberry
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:46:21 PM

what about plastic tanks anyone with experiences to share?

Opinion is free, truth is sacred.

Njung'e
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:25:10 AM

@Gathige,
Are your tanks cylindical,rect or oblong?And what assures you that there is no sippage that can contaminate your water?.Why did you decide on two tanks at 50 k litres and not one at 100 K litres and other than Mfuko,what would limit the size of your tank?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
GGK
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:06:10 AM

Good stuff @Gathige. Am financially challenged.... If my bill is currently Ksh 1,200/=, how long will be my payback?

Where do I get fundis with the references you talk about?
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
GGK
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:07:54 AM

Good stuff @Gathige. Am financially challenged.... If my bill is currently Ksh 1,200/=, how long will be my payback?

Where do I get fundis with the references you talk about?
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
MatataMingi
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:20:27 AM

@Gathige,
Thanks for this info. What is a good gutter system to ensure that the first rainwater is drained away. Does one buy one ready made or do you have to design it. Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about gutter systems.
Gathige
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:31:01 PM

@Njunge,

The tanks are cylindrical ( circular). Purely good workmanship ( skilled fundi, plastering and quality of materials used) and location ( at least away from would be pollutants) ensures no seepage. I did 2 purely due to finances as i did one first and after 5 years did the other one. Size would depend on the roof catchment to harvest the water from and of course finances.

@ GGK

If ur water bills are low like 1.2k it would be better to invest in a good plastic tank as the cost of a concrete tank would far outweigh the benefits. But if you plan to do some kidogo back-yard farming and live in a water scarce region then you could invest in a tank.

If you decide on a concrete tank, i can introduce u to a good fundi.

@ MatataMingi.

Any JuaKali artisan can fabricate the mabati-type gutters. Mine are Jua Kali. There is some company dealing with plastic ones which i hear are long-lasting and easy to clean but i never considered them as i heard they are pricey.

To clean the system, a corked-pipe from the gutter system is fixed to let the first rains just drain away. This is good if all the water drains to the tank from the roof level. If some water is collected through underground pipes, then a man-hole trap just before the water gets to the tank is used collect water from the first rains and then drained.

Hope this helps!

KenSaf
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:02:56 PM

@ Gathige: Am in the process of building my dream house around mlolongo. I have build a garage for two cars and I am planning to constract a concrete underground water tank in the garage. refer me to a good fundi.
Doors of opportunity don't just open , they have to be unlocked & it's up to you to turn the knob.
Gathige
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:05:46 PM

@Kensaf,

My tank is stand-alone and not underground. Send me ur email address and i will send you the photos of my tank then we follow up from there.

KenSaf
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:48:36 AM

@Gathige, will really appreciate. kensafsk@gmail.com
Doors of opportunity don't just open , they have to be unlocked & it's up to you to turn the knob.
nostoppingthis
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:43:16 AM

@Gathige, quite insightful, a few questions...and I wouldn't mind having your contacts, yangu ni nostoppingthis@gmail.com

1. On one of the posts above, someone has asked the roofing material you are using for catchment? you realize that some of the mabati components are not good. I'm informed that zinc should be excluded as part of the mabati material....
2. Is concrete underground tanks better that rot plastic underground tanks? Some people build the concrete and then place the plastic container therein(i think to avoid seepage)

On matters conserving water, some persons allow the kitchen effluent to go under the lawn...this is to keep the grass green, any comments?
Gathige
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:36:19 PM

@nostoppingthis,

I will inbox u my email.

For me i just used the normal coloured profile mabatis. I just hope they do not release Zinc ( in case they have any). You get bigger volumes with Concrete that u can get with Plastic. My 50,000 litres i assume there is no plastic of that Size ( and if any, could be too big for a small compound). With a well done concere there would be no seepage as both the interior and exterior walls are well finished

On effluent, i have no input. Try a new posts and there could be a green Wazua with ideas.