wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Private placements &pre-IPO offers.A sure way to get 1000% return?
Hunderwear
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:02:21 PM

In his book 'Rich Dad's Guide to investing',Robert Kiyosaki says the best way to make money is by being the selling investor during an IPO.This is evident in the Kenyan scenario where all IPOs turned the selling shareholders into billionaire on listing.SCANGROUP,EQUITY,COOP.
History is not always the yardstick to the future but tends to repeat itself.There are many good companies out there that are listing within the next three or so years and are currently grossly undervalued ie selling below their book value or even their par value.
In the spirit of Wazua lets share our views on this and the companies to look at.I had in mind CIC at PP price of 27 but it has since gone to 90.

Much appreciated.
youcan'tstopusnow
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:52:07 PM

True! I think that's how many become multi-millionaires, others billionaires,not just at the NSE.
PKoli, you seem to be king on this. Any other good company you know of at the OTC?
CIC imesail sasaSad
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
PONDI
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:20:53 PM

muramati sacco?
jerry
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:37:37 PM

PONDI wrote:
muramati sacco?

=>what will it be on listing? Family Bank is familiar. Are there shares still available OTC and at how much? Coop sold their private placement at 20/= pre-IPO pre-split. On splitting 20:1 with a par value of 1/= and IPO price of 9.50 per share, you make 850%! capital gain. At current price of 17.55 you've 1,655% capital gain. Add the dividends and you'll see how millionairs are made. Question: when will the Coop pre-IPO shareholderrs be free to sell their shares?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Hunderwear
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:25:28 PM

The beauty of these is the ability to buy as much as you want at a cheap price sometimes even allowing you to pay in installments.By the way the price remains the same for so long as the amount intended is not met.There after you can actually bargain the price with the seller OTC.I understand saccos can still acquire more CIC at 27 even now(stand to be corrected).
@ycsun as you say the CIC value is almost unlocked as of now and in less than than an year you have 330% return.and this is no an exception.
@Jerry and pondi,Muramati is a very robust sacco with a dividend of 9-10 % and in the areas it exists in central is prefered to Equity and family Banks esp. by tea farmers.Am not sure when/if they list and if they convert into a bank.Its worth a look.For family bank they aimed to list in 2009 but postponed due to delay by CBK to issue them Banking Licence.Last year they sold 25% to Afica Invest at par value(2) with a lock in period of 5 yrs.Its currently on an OTC operated by Family bank and the price as at around march 2011 was 22-26.You need to have these shares to be allowed to buy.
Am not sure of the following but may fit here:
I&M bank
Kenya school of professional studies
Deacons
Anybody who can do a background check on this ones please.If possible get us the market value and their availability at that,net book value and their dividend yield.

TUPAC
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:53:18 PM

Hunderwear wrote:
The beauty of these is the ability to buy as much as you want at a cheap price sometimes even allowing you to pay in installments.By the way the price remains the same for so long as the amount intended is not met.There after you can actually bargain the price with the seller OTC.I understand saccos can still acquire more CIC at 27 even now(stand to be corrected).
@ycsun as you say the CIC value is almost unlocked as of now and in less than than an year you have 330% return.and this is no an exception.
@Jerry and pondi,Muramati is a very robust sacco with a dividend of 9-10 % and in the areas it exists in central is prefered to Equity and family Banks esp. by tea farmers.Am not sure when/if they list and if they convert into a bank.Its worth a look.For family bank they aimed to list in 2009 but postponed due to delay by CBK to issue them Banking Licence.Last year they sold 25% to Afica Invest at par value(2) with a lock in period of 5 yrs.Its currently on an OTC operated by Family bank and the price as at around march 2011 was 22-26.You need to have these shares to be allowed to buy.
Am not sure of the following but may fit here:
I&M bank
Kenya school of professional studies
Deacons
Anybody who can do a background check on this ones please.If possible get us the market value and their availability at that,net book value and their dividend yield.

I&M did a private placement last year. subscription had to be 20 000 shares@935 bob or whereabouts. so the minimum was like 20m.
...things fall apart...the centre cannot hold..mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...w b yeats
Hunderwear
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:04:48 PM

@Tupac meaning it's now available OTC?
TUPAC
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 8:02:22 PM

Hunderwear wrote:
@Tupac meaning it's now available OTC?

hapo sijui. but you can ask around. but i doubt anybody would wish to sell having acquired them at such a price coz i think the shareholders are less than 100(i stand to be corected)
...things fall apart...the centre cannot hold..mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...w b yeats
TUPAC
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 8:13:12 PM

what about banks like prime bank, fina, gulf and all these other small banks and institutions? when could they list or offer private placements? anybody?
Hunderwear
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 9:32:25 PM

TUPAC wrote:
what about banks like prime bank, fina, gulf and all these other small banks and institutions? when could they list or offer private placements? anybody?

Agreed upon they could be the unexploited goldmines and even though i dont know when they list the best way is to acquire them now when nobody have interest in them and wait.Dividends are sometimes amazing.More due diligence is called upon here coz the risk involved is damn high and they are highly illiquid so you cannot run once in.Are these shares with the public already btw?
the deal
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:47:28 AM

There are alot of insurance firms out there which are better than CIC...those are the goldmines but in Kenya i will never invest in a private company unless its mine too much risky.
Hunderwear
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:50:10 PM

the deal wrote:
There are alot of insurance firms out there which are better than CIC...those are the goldmines but in Kenya i will never invest in a private company unless its mine too much risky.

@Deal which are this companies and where can one get the shares OTC?Do you think we can considerably lower the risk in any way before investing?
PKoli
#13 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 2:26:06 AM

youcan'tstopusnow wrote:
True! I think that's how many become multi-millionaires, others billionaires,not just at the NSE.
PKoli, you seem to be king on this. Any other good company you know of at the OTC?
CIC imesail sasaSad

I am not so sure of any other gem than CIC...There are others like Real, Investeq, Inoorero University, Transcentury. I once contemplated buying into Trans, lakini nikang'ethia.
KenyanLyrics
#14 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 7:22:49 AM

Yes, one way of getting rich is to get in at the ground level of a company, either at founder or investor level
tony stark
#15 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 10:18:52 AM

The irrational exuberance of making money from private placements and angel funds should always be tempered by rational logic and research.

The question should be how do you get to hear, participate and take advantage of private placements.
My first port of call is always investment banking outfits. They are the go between the companies that are trying to raise money and the investors with money to invest.
Good luck and happy hunting!
Mainat
#16 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 10:37:52 AM

Agree with Tony Stark and add that there is no reason why investor in a placement can not do the same level of due diligence as they would at the NSE.
So investing in a private placement with no financial info is a no-no. Or investing in a high PE just because its a private placement.
Sehemu ndio nyumba
Genghis Khan
#17 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 11:48:01 AM

Private Companies are not in the Market so its much harder to get research info... plus they have less stringent Financial Reporting requirements... much easier for accountants to get creative... especially if they have a good reason, like a placement... chunga sana!

Still, the downside is limited by my investment, the upside is unlimited... if it feels good after homework, I say its worth the risk.
"I'd rather be lucky than clever... every time!" - ME
"The problem is not what we don't know... it's what we know for sure that just ain't!" - MARK TWAIN
"Space we can recover... time never!" - NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
youcan'tstopusnow
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:21:59 PM

Does Wananchi plan on listing any time in the future? Ama watu wanaogopa tech firms after AKsmile
Hunderwear, you can also check out Family Bank but I don't know if you can still be able to get the shares
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
Hunderwear
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:13:32 AM

youcan'tstopusnow wrote:
Does Wananchi plan on listing any time in the future? Ama watu wanaogopa tech firms after AKsmile
Hunderwear, you can also check out Family Bank but I don't know if you can still be able to get the shares

Aint sure about wananchi but as for Family bank the last time i checked was going for 24 and thought its expensive given its unlisted.The supply was also very high but that was then.How is it doing lately?
Layman
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:05:09 AM

I&M bank nets 2.4 billion KES in Private Placement: http://www.businessdaily...1/-/2olb49/-/index.html