3 Pages<123
Buying a House or to Build-Pros and Cons
story teller
#41 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:25:01 PM

Mwafrika31 wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Blackberry wrote:
2012 wrote:
A lot of headaches in building but you won't get the kind of home you want to build for 5 times the price if you choose to buy. I'm currently building and the house I'm building would have cost me over 25m if I was to buy it so I guess the headache is worth it plus how much can the fundis really steal? At most I give it 1m.

what you say makes a lot of senseApplause Applause a bag of cement disapearing once in a while is nothing compaired to the Markup your contractor will be making of the whole deal.

I bet the contractors factor in pilferage as well, in fact there is more loss with contractors than when on is building on their own. When you factor 1m they might factor 2.5m, hence their high cost.

I am currently putting up an apartment building, and my experience is that you the owner, must be on site to run things. Massive pilferage only occurs when you hand over the project to some 'foreman'. Fundis hardly get an opportunity to steal, after all, how many of you have ever lifted a cement bag to realize just how heavy it is? Kinda hard to run off with many. Fundis generally rob each other of tools. Your foreman is your problem, he's the blood sucking vampire.

If you can, purchase the stones, ballast and sand in sufficient quantities, then take 3 months leave from work to be on site daily. Only pay cash at delivery for these materials. Dont trust anyone, always verify quantities.

The best way to deal with fundis is to allocate production quotas. For example, each of my fundis for walling must per day use up 6 full wheelbarrows of mortar at 1:4 mix otherwise I sack them immediately. For plastering its the same, electrician is by contract. Ive paid the electrician 7,500 per every two bedroomed apartment he completes. etc etc. If you will not be at the site DAILY please add 1.2 million to your budget. If you hand over to a construction company, add 1-5 million to whatever budget you have.

Lastly, 29,000 kshs per sqm is too expensive. My direct experience is 15,000 kila kitu. However, finishes is up to you, why you would need to install toilets that cost 45,000 is up to you. Construct your own home, its quite an experience and not as hard as people fear, as you know humans can get used to anything. At first it will be challenging but very quickly you'll get the hang of things unless you are thick. Goodluck.

@Mwafrica31, very inspiring and an eye opener as relates to the foreman and being on the ground.
Me thinks that those quoting sh 29 000 per sq metre are just trying to discourage folks from venturing on their own..these are ridiculous rates..i am with Pablo on this one...ama wanajenga Gigiri..and there is no way you are making 25% profit or less with such rates!..iko kitu..
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
Fyatu
#42 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2020 7:01:21 PM

I would rather build and avoid service charge. Service charge in these apartments being hawked on TV is prohibitive. Imagine paying a whooping 100 ngwanyes to book an apartment at lifestyle heights in Ruiru and then you are required to pay the full amount to purchase the house.

Therefter, you are required to pay 15 gees as service charge per month equaling 180 ngwanyes per year...awuoro!!
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
amorphous
#43 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2020 2:43:30 AM

story teller wrote:
Mwafrika31 wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Blackberry wrote:
2012 wrote:
A lot of headaches in building but you won't get the kind of home you want to build for 5 times the price if you choose to buy. I'm currently building and the house I'm building would have cost me over 25m if I was to buy it so I guess the headache is worth it plus how much can the fundis really steal? At most I give it 1m.

what you say makes a lot of senseApplause Applause a bag of cement disapearing once in a while is nothing compaired to the Markup your contractor will be making of the whole deal.

I bet the contractors factor in pilferage as well, in fact there is more loss with contractors than when on is building on their own. When you factor 1m they might factor 2.5m, hence their high cost.

I am currently putting up an apartment building, and my experience is that you the owner, must be on site to run things. Massive pilferage only occurs when you hand over the project to some 'foreman'. Fundis hardly get an opportunity to steal, after all, how many of you have ever lifted a cement bag to realize just how heavy it is? Kinda hard to run off with many. Fundis generally rob each other of tools. Your foreman is your problem, he's the blood sucking vampire.

If you can, purchase the stones, ballast and sand in sufficient quantities, then take 3 months leave from work to be on site daily. Only pay cash at delivery for these materials. Dont trust anyone, always verify quantities.

The best way to deal with fundis is to allocate production quotas. For example, each of my fundis for walling must per day use up 6 full wheelbarrows of mortar at 1:4 mix otherwise I sack them immediately. For plastering its the same, electrician is by contract. Ive paid the electrician 7,500 per every two bedroomed apartment he completes. etc etc. If you will not be at the site DAILY please add 1.2 million to your budget. If you hand over to a construction company, add 1-5 million to whatever budget you have.

Lastly, 29,000 kshs per sqm is too expensive. My direct experience is 15,000 kila kitu. However, finishes is up to you, why you would need to install toilets that cost 45,000 is up to you. Construct your own home, its quite an experience and not as hard as people fear, as you know humans can get used to anything. At first it will be challenging but very quickly you'll get the hang of things unless you are thick. Goodluck.

@Mwafrica31, very inspiring and an eye opener as relates to the foreman and being on the ground.
Me thinks that those quoting sh 29 000 per sq metre are just trying to discourage folks from venturing on their own..these are ridiculous rates..i am with Pablo on this one...ama wanajenga Gigiri..and there is no way you are making 25% profit or less with such rates!..iko kitu..

I know this is a dated story (9+ years old!) but at 15k per sqm this is what Mwafrika's apartments most likely looked like. Inside would be even worse, with no lift, terrible cheapest of the cheap finishings (multicoloured yellow tiles, Lorenzetti Blinducha instant shower, concrete countertops with terrible sink, tiny one or two windows per room very high up in the wall, concrete floors everywhere) etc.

All his other advice is solid.

Ni hayo tu

Age and family mellows us all over time
amorphous
#44 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2020 8:10:53 PM

runjam wrote:
Any ladies who have built ? How was your experience with the fundis ?

Sometimes i get scared when i hear of all the challenges that people go through when building their homes.

Don't be scared. Fanya tuuuuuuu.
The best experience is hands on experience.
If you are scared of being "conned" do not be. Just pace yourself, be on site and focus on each task rather than the entire building. E.g. kama ni kuchimba foundation. Spend all your time finding out how much excavators charge, how much it costs for KYM fundis if chimbaring by hand, how much it costs to dump the soil if black cotton, na kadhalika. Do not do anything else until you have a pretty good idea of price range. Then weka deposit to the fundis/excavator to start. Pay pole pole as the work progresses. Then final amount when work is complete and all the cotton has been carted off. Tis not rocket science. Do this for each and every single task and the chances of being kuliwad mbiggy big is next to "jiro" as our Indian brodas say.
By the way kila mtu anakuliwa one way or another in small small ways. So do not also be overly fussy about a few hundred shillings eaten here or a thousand or two lost while roofing. Think value rather than price. If you are getting the house you want, at the quality you want, and you end up spending 9 million compared to 8 million if you had not been kuliwad, and the house is worth 20m as soon as the last fundi carries his tools and leaves the site forever, what does it matter anyway?

NIMESEMA!
Age and family mellows us all over time