wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Buying a House or to Build-Pros and Cons
propertyzote
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:12:11 PM

I have been frequently asked this question. Fellow wazuans thrown in your take on this.
Building a house works for me. I got to design my own plan,and construct at my pace. I got valuable advice from my paps. "Mwaga mawe na kokoto kwanza,they will never go stale. Weka foundation na slab and the story goes" thats how my dad practically build the house we grew up in. It was fully completed when i was in class 5. Mind you he had 4 mouths to feed plus school fees.

Regardless of whether to build or to buy, it may make sense to invest in a conventional property, since idiosyncratic houses are generally much harder to sell. That said, with an ambitious aesthetic design, or if you plan to buy and stay in a particular house for decades (life time) what is the cost & mental implication comparison.
www.propertyzote.com the ultimate ‘one stop online shop’ of choice connecting more people with more properties at the click of a button
mukiha
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:30:52 PM

Just depends on you:

Building for yourself is cheap, but you have to deal with the headaches of managing fundis who want to steal from your at every opportunity... and then the laborers go on strike demanding higher pay after mixing the concrete! Finally, the hidden cost of supplying utilities to the house...which is probably 3km from the nearest transformer, tarmac road, water main and.... nearest neighbour, so you have to employ three watchmen at night and four in the daytime!

Buying is just simply more expensive... can be as high as three times more depending on your timing. Minus the joy of customising the house to your wife's taste [a mistake many men make is to build their "dream home" forgetting that their wives spend three time more time there than them!]; of keeping yourself busy after work [paying out fundis] instead of drinking yourself silly pretending to be having fan "with the boys".
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
mukiha
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:33:44 PM

propertyzote wrote:
I have been frequently asked this question. Fellow wazuans thrown in your take on this.
Building a house works for me. I got to design my own plan,and construct at my pace. I got valuable advice from my paps. "Mwaga mawe na kokoto kwanza,they will never go stale. Weka foundation na slab and the story goes" thats how my dad practically build the house we grew up in. It was fully completed when i was in class 5. Mind you he had 4 mouths to feed plus school fees.

Regardless of whether to build or to buy, it may make sense to invest in a conventional property, since idiosyncratic houses are generally much harder to sell. That said, with an ambitious aesthetic design, or if you plan to buy and stay in a particular house for decades (life time) what is the cost & mental implication comparison.

Think again about your domain name: I thought it was propertyzoNe....
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
sumit.dpfoc
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:52:52 PM

Hi,

I think buying a house is better then building. Building process can save your money but it will not give you peace of mind and you also have to wait a lot of time for it. If I were at your situation, I will prefer buying the house.
Chaka
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:01:13 PM

What I don't like about building where there is no sewer line is the sh.t business.I had once had a plot at Ongata Rongai but changed my mind about building there because he whole place had this sh.t smell....Sad
tuvok
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:03:21 PM

How about getting a construction company (small or otherwise) to do the job for you?

*Ideally* agree on the budget, housing plan, schedule of payments etc then a contract. Anyone done this before? This is the route I'm intending to take at some point.
mukiha
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:15:59 PM

I think if the house is for commercial purpose and not your home, you should build it yourself and therefore improve your ROI. For a home, just buy it and save yourself the headache, plus move into it immediately and have time to enjoy the "newness"
propertyzote
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:39:09 PM

@tuvok your take on this commendable.I agree with you. Putting some professional input.Has anyone tried this out?.@mukiha some economical minds there ROI.The site is propetyzote.com lots of guys have had it twisted nevertheless, the idea was give it local sawhili term "zote" yani property zote in East Africa.@chaka for your situation you would have considered investing in a big sewer system that is emptied occasionally. What was your plan a home or commercial property.?
www.propertyzote.com the ultimate ‘one stop online shop’ of choice connecting more people with more properties at the click of a button
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:59:48 PM

A lot of headaches in building but you won't get the kind of home you want to build for 5 times the price if you choose to buy. I'm currently building and the house I'm building would have cost me over 25m if I was to buy it so I guess the headache is worth it plus how much can the fundis really steal? At most I give it 1m.

BBI will solve it
:)
Burning Spear
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:15:31 PM

tuvok wrote:
How about getting a construction company (small or otherwise) to do the job for you?

*Ideally* agree on the budget, housing plan, schedule of payments etc then a contract. Anyone done this before? This is the route I'm intending to take at some point.

my colleugue almost landed into a hospital with high BP because of the same conmen you are baptising construction companies.

These are people who want to maximize and get huge profits when they use substandard materials for your house.
You should be very cautious especially when the said companies quote less to win the job.

Buying a house is also not ideal,first its exaggerated price and also substandard materials dominate your house....who saw a woman crying on TV sometimes back coz of a flat/apartment she bot at ksh 9million in parkland leaking from above floor in 6months.

To avoid this,go to the site and build it yourself,even if the fundis steal from you,it will be small compared to buying.Furthermore,a business yenye haibiwi does not make returns.
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
Foz00
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:40:53 PM

Definitely build, its an experience worth being admitted in hospital for, once all done the knowledge gained (both in construction and human character, feeling of achievement etc are very worth it.
Foz00
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:44:16 PM

be tough with thieving fundis, don't pay them and kick them out of your site, word will go round and you will have fewer thieves
Wa_ithaka
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 8:26:34 AM

Build for yourself if you can. Its a joyful experience. The thing about buying is that unless you are buying from a development location, buying from an individual always means that the house will be customised anyway.
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
Wendz
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:38:10 AM

Burning Spear wrote:

To avoid this,go to the site and build it yourself,even if the fundis steal from you,it will be small compared to buying.Furthermore,a business yenye haibiwi does not make returns.

I also would go by building... anytime. I dont mind putting an allowance that will be "stolen" and pay slightly higher for a reliable foreman - at least i know someone i can reliably use for now (professional not relas).

My problem with buying is that it is unlikely i can raise cash for the kind of house i want. That means, i would have to take up a mortgage. Now, this mortgage, the amount i have to repay in monthly installments if you factor in interest, is obscene. If i diligently put in that money into savings and construct in phases, i can finish in two or three years max... infact, it would be a habitable house in the first few months.... I dont like imagining what would happen if things went south and i was on mortgage..... And dont tell me about "insurance" because those crooks are in business too and will look for all the ways to avoid payment if they can!
B.Timer
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 10:02:47 AM

Building your own home is far better than buying for the everage individual.

Its much more pocket friendly and you get the kind of home you want.
Dunia ni msongamano..
sanity
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:09:07 PM

Wa_ithaka wrote:
Build for yourself if you can. Its a joyful experience. The thing about buying is that unless you are buying from a development location, buying from an individual always means that the house will be customised anyway.

well said.I moved into my house last year.it was quite an exciting challenge building the house.I had to fire several fundis,some for thieving materials,others for their inefficiency and laziness. The bottom line is,building is an experience that is worth it.
Hope is not a strategy
kflarge
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:05:24 PM

Build your your own house @ at your own time,simple!House foundation is not attractive but wait until you see the house,short cuts are too costtly for nothing.
PATTIE
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:12:10 PM

@all
i support 'build your tasteful house' period.
Wanjy
#19 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 8:55:05 AM

Build n live in your dream house
propertyzote
#20 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 3:52:32 PM

Its evident that building your house is a worthwhile experience and the better option. why?

1.You get to build the house of your choice.."dream House".
2.More pocket friendly
3.Its hell dealing with fundis but a worthwhile experience and can get a contractor to do the job.Be cautious though especially when the said companies quote less to win the job.
4.Improved ROI when you build.
5.No fear of imagining what would happen if things went south if on mortgage.
6.Its a joyful experience.