4 Pages<1234>
A Car or A House?
obiero
#41 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 7:11:12 AM

sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:
as investors, its always good to invest in appreciating assets.

a car is depreciating while a house will always appreciate even though it is in mandera.

get the house then the car will come later

Good advice given 9 years ago .hope as many wazuans took it.

Actually it's a very bad advice. First of all, many first car buyers' budget can not get any worthy house, maybe some plot in the deep outskirts. If you can afford a house, you can definitely afford to get both at the same time

For a small minority, it can make sense to get the house first (e.g interested in living in the deep outskirts or small towns) but for the rest of us, a car is better to have before the house. It worked for me and many others.

A house is also a depreciating asset.

Wewe ulisomea wapi. I am interested in your world views

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
newfarer
#42 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 9:56:00 AM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

a car is depreciating while a house will always appreciate even though it is in mandera.

get the house then the car will done later

Actually it's a very bad advice. First of all, many first car buyers' budget can not get any worthy house, maybe some plot in the deep outskirts. If you can afford a house, you can definitely afford to get both at the same time

For a small minority, it can make sense to get the house first (e.g interested in living in the deep outskirts or small towns) but for the rest of us, a car is better to have before the house. It worked for me and many others.

Hata Mimi nataka kuonyeshwa nyumba moja imedepreciate in the last 10 years in Kenya. Factually .as in kwa ground
punda amecheka
sparkly
#43 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 10:57:43 AM

newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Hata Mimi nataka kuonyeshwa nyumba moja imedepreciate in the last 10 years in Kenya. Factually .as in kwa ground

Make the distinction between LAND and HOUSE. Land generally appreciates over time because of scarcity. A house is an improvement on land. A house depreciates hence why you carry out repairs and maintenance!
Life is short. Live passionately.
newfarer
#44 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 11:17:44 AM

sparkly wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Make the distinction between LAND and HOUSE. Land generally appreciates over time because of scarcity. A house is an improvement on land. A house depreciates hence why you carry out repairs and maintenance!

No house without land..unless we are talking of a green house without a roof. The cost of repairs can never match the appreciation of land on which the house is sitting on.
punda amecheka
sparkly
#45 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 11:29:54 AM

newfarer wrote:
sparkly wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

No house without land..unless we are talking of a green house without a roof. The cost of repairs can never match the appreciation of land on which the house is sitting on.

Complicating the argument makes you sound smarter but the FACT is that land appreciates, houses depreciate.
amorphous
#46 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 11:35:32 AM

newfarer wrote:
sparkly wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Sparkly is illiterate on these matters, do not waste your time on him. Ni mtu wa maringo, kujibeba na ujuaji yet says nothing of substance.

@op buy your flashy car first then drive your way straight into the poorhouse like my good buddy who bought a prado around 2010 na hana kitu to date. Clutch replacement alone is 140k.insurance 250k. Broke totally and very bewildered at how us mkebe drivers are building houses and apartments everywhere despite earning way less than him monthly.
Age and family mellows us all over time
obiero
#47 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 11:51:14 AM

amorphous wrote:
newfarer wrote:
sparkly wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Sparkly is illiterate on these matters, do not waste your time on him. Ni mtu wa maringo, kujibeba na ujuaji yet says nothing of substance.

@op buy your flashy car first then drive your way straight into the poorhouse like my good buddy who bought a prado around 2010 na hana kitu to date. Clutch replacement alone is 140k.insurance 250k. Broke totally and very bewildered at how us mkebe drivers are building houses and apartments everywhere despite earning way less than him monthly.

True. Cars are just status symbols. Best to go for a house first

sqft
#48 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 12:16:21 PM

newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Its the land on which the house stands that appreciates, otherwise its true a building can become derelict and even become uninhabitable and need demolition, but the land remains valuable. The plot can also be redeveloped to make one even more money. That is why houses built on own plots appreciate faster than apartments which are built on communal unsalable land. You have all seen those neglected bungalows sitting on land worth hundreds of millions in upmarket areas of nairobi. The structure could be worth 0.5m but the land is worth 500m.

Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
obiero
#49 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 12:32:07 PM

sqft wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Its the land on which the house stands that appreciates, otherwise its true a building can become derelict and even become uninhabitable and need demolition, but the land remains valuable. The plot can also be redeveloped to make one even more money. That is why houses built on own plots appreciate faster than apartments which are built on communal unsalable land. You have all seen those neglected bungalows sitting on land worth hundreds of millions in upmarket areas of nairobi. The structure could be worth 0.5m but the land is worth 500m.

Semantics. The question was a car or house.. Tufungue thread ingine ya land or house

amorphous
#50 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 12:36:32 PM

sqft wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Very funny! So if sqft bought a 1/4 acre plot in Syokimau, Katani Rd in 2015 for 4m, built a 15m maisonette on it (market price) and then sold it for 20m in 2020 when the price of 1/4 is 6m, the bulk of the capital gain is from the "land appreciation" alone sio? Laughing out loudly
sqft
#51 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 1:03:16 PM

obiero wrote:
sqft wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Semantics. The question was a car or house.. Tufungue thread ingine ya land or house

The comparison is very subjective. Is it between a 7m prado vs 7m apartment or between the 7m apartment and a 400k car?
Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
obiero
#52 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 1:28:28 PM

sqft wrote:
obiero wrote:
sqft wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

The comparison is very subjective. Is it between a 7m prado vs 7m apartment or between the 7m apartment and a 400k car?

Captain. By the time one buys a 7m car he/she must have a high net worth. Probably over 30m

sparkly
#53 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 1:45:49 PM

sqft wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Thanks @sqft for your sensible reply. In fact if someone gives me the option between a vacant plot in Upperhill or one with those old bungalows, I will take the vacant one because of the costs associated with knocking off the old bungalow for redevelopment. Some people are trying too hard to push village wisdom on this forum.
sparkly
#54 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 1:56:29 PM

amorphous wrote:
sqft wrote:
newfarer wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
NewMoney wrote:
newfarer wrote:
emlyn ngwiri wrote:

Very funny! So if sqft bought a 1/4 acre plot in Syokimau, Katani Rd in 2015 for 4m, built a 15m maisonette on it (market price) and then sold it for 20m in 2020 when the price of 1/4 is 6m, the bulk of the capital gain is from the "land appreciation" alone sio? :-
Of course.

@amorphous it's very easy to make an argument sound intelligent by dilating but the fact remains House depreciates, Land appreciates infact the useful life of most buildings is 40-50 years unless major renovations are done to extend the useful life.

amorphous
#55 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 2:15:45 PM

Sparkly,
Kindly ask for a refund from that ramshackle polytechnic where they failed to teach you the difference between depreciation and a depreciable asset for accounting purposes during accounting 101 Laughing out loudly
https://www.yourinvestme...t-or-fiction-142813.aspx
sparkly
#56 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 2:27:57 PM

[quote=amorphous]Sparkly,
Kindly ask for a refund from that ramshackle polytechnic where they failed to teach you the difference between depreciation and a depreciable asset for accounting purposes during accounting 101 Laughing out loudly
https://www.yourinvestme...-or-fiction-142813.aspx[/quote]

@amorphous aka @Mugundaman good to see you back.
amorphous
#57 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 2:37:25 PM

sparkly wrote:

You can call me Daniel Toroitich arap Moi, The Loch Ness monster, Mugundamann and even the Pope if you so wish, as long as you acknowledge your glaring ignorance on matters real estate Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
sparkly
#58 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 6:08:11 PM

amorphous wrote:
sparkly wrote:

You can call me Daniel Toroitich arap Moi, The Loch Ness monster, Mugundamann and even the Pope if you so wish, as long as you acknowledge your glaring ignorance on matters real estate Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

It's ok @mugundaman, enjoy yourself. Engaging with an infantile like yourself is a waste of energy.
Kenyan Oracle
#59 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2020 10:47:42 AM

newfarer wrote:
A house wins it .going by the current uncertain COVID-19 period.

Very true. Chicken are coming home to roost.
You lose money chasing women, but you never lose women chasing money - NAS
jgithige
#60 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2020 12:12:32 PM

Kenyan Oracle wrote:
newfarer wrote:
A house wins it .going by the current uncertain COVID-19 period.

Very true. Chicken are coming home to roost.

Interestingly some of tenants drive carmodels which their landlords hardly have.
"Blowing out someone else candle won't make yours shine brighter"-Anonymous