wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Growing Eucalyptus Trees
Barrywhite
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:25:25 PM

Any one out there with experience growing eucalyptus trees and returns thereof? Have some idle land (black cotton soil), somewhere off Isinya town, sitting idle. Thought of something l can do there; that isnt too involving like a greenhouse; and just be checking on periodically as l live in Nairobi. Eucalytus came to mind. The good friendly type of eucalytus. Any experiences?
The laudable is more often than not rendered laughable by overclaim
Lolest!
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:39:23 PM

I intend to go into it too. I understand you should first visit KEFRI and KFS to establish the best specie to use for your area and also to provide the seedlings.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Barrywhite
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:58:39 AM

Got concerned after reading in yesterdays Nation about Nobel laureate Prof Wangari Maathai opposing the planting of eucalyptus tress (the new species. Dont know who's fooling who? According to her, the government is doing this purely to earn carbon credit and that the eucalyptus trees are BAD for the environment.
action!
#4 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 9:59:31 AM

You canplant these trees, but just keep them away from your water source, eg river because they will drain it. KEFRI is a good place to start your research.
Lolest!
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:52:40 PM

Make sure you plant clones from KFS. Seedlings from other sources are water guzzlers. Remember to incorporate costs of harvest including removing the stump n roots.
action! wrote:
You canplant these trees, but just keep them away from your water source, eg river because they will drain it. KEFRI is a good place to start your research.

kiriita
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:44:11 AM

At the risk of appearing to hijack the thread, where can one buy bamboo seedlings. Preferably in or around Nakuru/Central Kenya?
mushroom of truth
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:40:17 PM

Barrywhite wrote:

Got concerned after reading in yesterdays Nation about Nobel laureate Prof Wangari Maathai opposing the planting of eucalyptus tress (the new species. Dont know who's fooling who? According to her, the government is doing this purely to earn carbon credit and that the eucalyptus trees are BAD for the environment.

The Eucalyptus tree comes with health benefits.
It can treat respiratory problems like the flu, and diabetes (controlling the sugar levels). It has also been proven by researchers that as an oil it can be used for dental care and skin care...
Don't go through life, grow through it!!
Barrywhite
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:21:00 PM

After research and advise from KEFRI and KFS, and alot of effort on my part, l have just planted 4800 seedlings of eucalyptus. I completed the task yesterday. I have it in their aurhority that within two years, l could harvest trees if l wanted to rent them out for real estate construction; or harvest within 4 years if they have to be used as poles.

Hoping all goes well. Will keep interested parties posted.
Lolest!
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:03:26 PM

@ barrywhite, congrats. Do you have tentative selling rates per tree for both timber and poles? Have you established potential customers? Did you follow the minimum spacing required?
bwenyenye
#10 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 2:20:04 PM

@Barry

Any contacts at KEFRI? I need to make use of some land in the same area. I would really apreciate a good contact at KEFRI/KFS
I Think Therefore I Am
Barrywhite
#11 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 4:16:03 PM

@ Lolest. Thanks alot.The more trees you buy, the higher the discount you can bargain. I bought the 4800 trees at 25/- per tree. I dont need to establish customers at this point yet; when the trees are mature l will establish a base on some 1/8 of an acre in Kitengela l have; and employ a few guys to walk around construction sites and have the trees hired. The rate lately is 80/- per tree per month (it takes 28 days for a slab to cure). Any delays on the developer is charged at 10/- per day. Minimum spacing for the trees next to the boundary of your plot is 2m; minimum space for the rest is 1m. The 2m is given so the branches dont cross over into your neighbours plot.

@bwenyenye. I just called their office and booked an appointment. For the three visits l made their, l kept getting different officers; so l didnt particularly take anyone's number. Their office line is 0722157414.

I have a buddy doing this with 3000 poles; and rakes in 200k a month around ngong area. His second crop is nearly maturing. Hope the above info is of help to you folks!
bwenyenye
#12 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 5:52:47 PM

@Barry, shukran kwa wingi. That is very good for me. I will take it from there.
I Think Therefore I Am
Cde Monomotapa
#13 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 6:32:04 PM

What is this concept of hiring? Never heard of it. Please do expound. Have some maturing in the next 2yrs, pole size, would like to derive max value more than communserate of the time the land has been committed. Thanks in advance.
Barrywhite
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:17:40 PM

@ Cde Monomotapa

When doing a masionette or flat, you use poles underneath to support the slab as it cures, the period normally being 21-28days. For a long time, individual property developers used to buy those poles and after construction is well complete, they'd have nothing to do with them except may be cook. But gradually, more and more developers are hiring; so that the owner of the poles delivers the count required on the construction site, agrees on duration of hire and comes to collect after the duration is over. These gives you the benefit of having consistent income on the poles month on month. If any pole is broken, the developer buys it off you. Returns are higher and consistent hiring out than selling off once and for all. As poles break and you number decreases, your second crop of trees is maturing and getting ready for harvest.
Cde Monomotapa
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:30:17 PM

@Barry White I am very greatful & be blessed, you are truly made of the Wazua spirit!! Wow..never thought out-sourcing had reached such an extent! That is very creative of us! All this time I have been awaiting to sell and as I mentioned earlier I have two years to go & they'll be "KPLC ready" so you know that's a tall & wide tree. Thus, can hiring still apply? Or will that take sawing the poles somewhat.
Barrywhite
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:40:43 PM

I guess hiring could still apply; but then you will have lost the time value because hiring costs dont depend on the pole size; they depend on usability. But then the other angle with your scenario in mind is that from one tree, you could get several poles, because ideally the poles for construction cant be more than 3m; so from one mature tree you could get 3 or 4 poles and sort of leverage on the times lost during their maturity by getting alot more poles.
Cde Monomotapa
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:04:26 PM

Gracias..gracias. Thanks for that. For now I am happy that I know what more to do with them other than bulk selling. Please note that to me they are principally a rich store of value - either a bail out package when other things ever go wrong or where I can derive sizeable capital from to finance/bolster another better yeilding venture. I am very thankful Bw. Barry White.
Barrywhite
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:50:14 PM

Karibu
Injere
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:53:34 PM

Great information guys - just wanted to check, has anyone sold these eucalyptus trees in bulk for timber and how much can i hope to make from one acre of mature eucalyptus trees in this manner? Is there a likelihood that the market is getting flooded?

I have someone offering me a few acres that are packed with these trees at a bargain price.
Lolest!
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:19:27 PM

Nice question @ injere. I thought a fully grown tree goes for 5k