wazua Sun, Sep 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Kshs 1,000,000,000 to change a beer bottle?
VituVingiSana
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:14:30 AM

I can't make sense of this!

http://www.businessdaily...0/-/2d1rsl/-/index.html

Do I care what my bottle looks like?
Is this why I have to pay 10/- more per beer? I will drink less!!!

I have never heard anyone complain how the bottle looks!!! Yet, I have heard of folks complaining of the price of beer!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:38:42 AM

And people said there is corruption only at Safaricom??
dossy7
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:27:30 AM

Talk of misplaced priorities.
Its high time they realised that Mututho Law is the main reason for reduction in sales volume not how the Tusker bottle looks like
Kenya ni yetu sisi sote
McReggae
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:34:43 AM

Kes.....1B!!!!!.....how now?
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Genghis Khan
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:35:20 AM

My first thought was that the new shape bottle will most def increase cost of operations at the bottling lines and decrease efficiency... becasuse they would have to re-setup the line after churning out white cap / pili bottles so that they can accomodate the new chupas... but the article reminded me that guinness kubwa ilibadilishwa hapo awali.

The rationale behind it seems to be to increase brand visibility and market segmentation / positioning... my opinion is that they would have just passed the 1b to consumers. These guys have little idea what is in a beer drinkers mind... not everyone wants a Heineken!
"I'd rather be lucky than clever... every time!" - ME
"The problem is not what we don't know... it's what we know for sure that just ain't!" - MARK TWAIN
"Space we can recover... time never!" - NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
Burning Spear
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:02:12 AM

I think EABL management are being cheeky here for well known reasons.
They have missed the point by thinking that consumers of the product take more when the design of the container is changed and in this matter,a product that is not a basic need.This is total crap !!

To quote Adetu the MD “We have embarked on brand marketing as a short-term measure in mitigating this.”

I wonder which business school teach this nonsense that you increase the price of the product to cater for the redesigning cost of the container even when the regulations are limiting the consumption of that product.

To add salt to injury,TPF 5 is around the corner and another whooping 500M will go to waste.Is this still mitigating.....

Leaves alot to be desired !!!
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
Chaka
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:44:58 AM

Maybe what these guys should have done is to introduce a 750 ml bottle instead of
re-designing it?
dossy7
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:53:04 AM

Chaka wrote:
Maybe what these guys should have done is to introduce a 750 ml bottle instead of
re-designing it?

Mzinga ya TuskerLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Kenya ni yetu sisi sote
mwenza
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:58:36 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
And people said there is corruption only at Safaricom??

...........and yet others still believe corruption is a preserve of the crooks in government.
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:31:14 AM

It's not just changing a bottle, it's changing the entire packaging of one of the biggest brands in Kenya and that believe it or not takes money. There are few ways for companies to show care, appreciation and vision to their customers and this is one. I'm sure if the ipad was to change it's packaging or increase/reduce the tablet by 1cm you'll be talking of a couple of billion shillings.

BBI will solve it
:)
gadj
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:13:57 PM

This is a matter of the shareholders to raise in the next AGM otherwise i like the new design since now partakers of tusker will not need glasses.
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:18:14 PM

gadj wrote:
i like the new design since now partakers of tusker will not need glasses.

That's a good point! I hope they also do the flip top like in the States so you don"t need openers too.

BBI will solve it
Tommy
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:36:07 PM

Was this really necessary. Serious Beer drinkers dont care how the bottle looks like, but the quality of the content inside it. Talk of a case of misplaced priorities.
Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It happens every day. ~Albert Camus, The Fall, 1956
ojwangtheo
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:52:22 PM

KICC is not the tallest bulding in Kenya. They should have used times tower in their newspaper advert. 1,000,000,000 shillings when guys are dying of hunger.
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:07:27 PM

Tommy wrote:
Serious Beer drinkers dont care how the bottle looks like

True. And you can now conclude that they are not the target of this rebranding. The biggest challenge for beer and cigarette marketers unlike other products is not retention but recruitment. ie if someone is already smoking your cigarette chances are that he won't move but you need to get in new smokers to replace the ones who have departed. Ama?

Think about it, how many young people (18-23) would find that old coffin-like bottle sexy? For some their great grandfathers drank from that.

BBI will solve it
Kaka M
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:20:23 PM

Got to say its abit funny. In Tz Tusker has always bn in the bottle they r calling new. My guess is tht the Tz Bottles r made by Central glass Industries in Nairobi. (I may be wrong.) Running some of these multinationals can be a headache, apparently Tusker project fame costs Hundreds of millions and among other things its supposed to get aspiring competitors thinking if they r ready for that kind of war.
mapengo
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:07:48 PM

Shame on you A quick one does this Adetu guy drink coz the kind of explanations he is giving do not make sense "EABL managing director Senu Adetu said the redesign was aimed at boosting the market share of Tusker, which is one of the brands whose price the brewer increased by between Sh5 and Sh10 a bottle. " i mean for a brand that has been there for over 5 decades and does not have a market share come on.. i though the reason there are no promos for tusker is because the market niche for that bottle is solid. Not even heniknen or castle has been able to get through. call it misplaced priorities. Kenyans have a peculiar drinking habits which thanks to the mututho law are now being tamed. it's not the physical characteristics of the band that matters brand loyalty to the same which in this case has been greatly enforced by it's uniqueness, crispy ,smooth ,easy drinking and refreshing taste. Run a promo with that biliii and i can gurantee u the sales figures will astronomous as opposed to rebranding the bottle. unless Ur targeting the junguz out there Kenyans don't mind the shape nor the size of the beer.... it's the content.
McReggae
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:23:34 PM

Kaka M wrote:
Got to say its abit funny. In Tz Tusker has always bn in the bottle they r calling new. My guess is tht the Tz Bottles r made by Central glass Industries in Nairobi. (I may be wrong.) Running some of these multinationals can be a headache, apparently Tusker project fame costs Hundreds of millions and among other things its supposed to get aspiring competitors thinking if they r ready for that kind of war.

You are very right, Tusker was retailing in this kind of bottle in TZ before and I remember seeing it there early last year though what was launched jana is an improvement of what was in TZ with the engravement and all that!!!!

....the moment EABL trsnforms all the brands to this shape they will simply buy all summit in the market and crush their bottles....
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
amolo
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:47:38 PM

The competitors were not making their own bottles but poaching EABL bottles thus not incuring the cost of producing bottles! The new bottle is clearly marked Tusker and cannot be used by competitor's brands. It's bad enough the competitors uses EABL fridges, so why should EABL let them use thier bottles too!
mgeman
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:47:51 PM

I'm not an authority in matters beer but me thinks it could be a case of customers not able to actualise their wants ala if i asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses!
To paraphrase H. Ford through 2012's signature.
I am an African

-Thambo Mbeki Speech