wazua Tue, Apr 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
What is a greencard in relation to ownership of land?
Wa_ithaka
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:02:57 AM

I recently did a search for a plot i was interested in and discovered its title deed was in the name of the seller's mother-in-law. The seller told me this is because the greencard has not been changed to her (seller)'s name?

What is a greencard?

The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
kinyama
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 2:56:15 PM

A green card is a document that holds original records of all transaction relating to a piece of land/plot.The ones that i have come across with are where blocks of land has been subdivided say to members in-case of land buying companies.In such a scenario, the green card will show the ballot no., plot/land size and the details of the original owner.The card is held by the land offices at the district level.

It serves the purpose of comparing the information with the title deed issued/held, which must always be having similar entries in case of change.
Wa_ithaka
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:48:38 PM

Thanks Kinyama. Hopefully, its not a document that can be manipulated
kinyama
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:27:25 PM

Well,in most cases,its under key and lock and the movement controlled.
bwenyenye
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:54:36 PM

@Waithaka,

One can safely say that the Green Card is the true/real title to the property. The one we carry around is more of a copy. That is why one has to run a search of the property. The search is meant to give you the details of the property so that you can counter check with what is the 'title' you have.

Can it ba manipulated?' This should should not be possible. It can however be done by the very people who are mandated to adjust it and protect it. I know a case where this happened and were it not for someone being keen, shamba ya mtu ( over 30 acres) was gone. The details had been ammended mpaka kwa green card! The conman's title was, according to the lands office search, the correct title.. And someone lost over 8M

Yesss.. ... even Orengo admitted in Parliament the other day that the Lands office records are so messed up that even an official search may not yield the truth....Truth is stranger than fiction.

I however want to believe that the green card CANNOT be ammended.
I Think Therefore I Am
Wa_ithaka
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:13:23 PM

Mmhh.
Thanks Bwenyenye and Kanyima.
The seller now tells me that she has had the Green card amended to her name rather than her mother-in-law.
Is this possible to be done in 24hours?
Ndaragwa
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:50:44 PM

Wa_ithaka wrote:
Mmhh.
Thanks Bwenyenye and Kanyima.
The seller now tells me that she has had the Green card amended to her name rather than her mother-in-law.
Is this possible to be done in 24hours?

Ha ha maybe our lands offices have become quite efficient that you get a job well done within 24 hours! And Wa_ithaka seems surprised it took a short time. I am not sure how long it should take, but it would be great to do things efficiently within the shortest time possible. Really much time should it take to effect change on a land's 'Green Card'?
Wa_ithaka
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:21:11 PM

Ndaragwa-I don't mean to disparage our hardworking land officers. However, in this particular land office, a land search takes 24 hours unless you buy lunch.
According to its ministry charter, change of names should take 4 days at least with necessary clearances and consents.
PS-the mother-in-law is not with us
shownoob
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:31:34 PM

The Best !!
The entrance to the sbobet debate said he does not know that I have but the courage, but also to have money to play sbobet can remember.
sanity
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:01:39 PM

Nanyuki lands office.very efficient.took me two hours to transfer land and left the office with a new title deed in my name.no cent exchanged hands and I did not know anyone for connections.I Was truly amazed at their efficiency.
Hope is not a strategy
Querry
#11 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 8:13:45 AM

Can the green card get lost?
miser
#12 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 9:45:04 AM

Boss,you could be in for a rude shock!!!To be very sure let the seller produce the title which now should be in her name,now that the green card has been amended,try to get face to face meeting with the mother in law and cross-check with the land office the authenticity of that documents....in Kenya anything is possible bro!Otherwise the speed at which those amendments are taking place is suspicious!!!
Wa_ithaka
#13 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 9:55:23 AM

Miser-the mother in law is not of thiow world i.e. she passed away sometime back.
The title deed is already in the seller's name.
Anyway, I think I've got ways and means of figurring out if there is funny game going on. Starting with speaking to other relatives of the mother-in-law.
kenyanbeef
#14 Posted : Monday, October 08, 2012 10:30:04 AM

sanity wrote:
Nanyuki lands office.very efficient.took me two hours to transfer land and left the office with a new title deed in my name.no cent exchanged hands and I did not know anyone for connections.I Was truly amazed at their efficiency.

I am interested in getting about 10 acres in Nanyuki. In the Sweetwaters area. Anyone with a price indication of the parcels about 1km off the road leading to Sweetwaters? The area is locally known as Njoguini.
propertyzote
#15 Posted : Monday, October 08, 2012 11:24:51 AM

A green card is a document that holds original records of all transactions relating to a piece of land/plot. This means at the issuance of a new title, it must be preceeded by opening a card for it. Any subsequent transactions relating to the plot/land are recorded there. Normally when a subdivision is done, a green card will be opened for each subplot. Maybe the seller had reached the stage where the card had already been opened but the title not yet issued. However, that is the last and the easiest process when subdividing land. The green card is applicable to the registered Land Act and is resident at the district land registry level.
There is also a white card applicable to Registration of Titles Act (RTA), mostly leases and is resident at Ardhi house as well as at the district level; they are usually put together in binders. As explained by @Marty
www.propertyzote.com the ultimate ‘one stop online shop’ of choice connecting more people with more properties at the click of a button
ali
#16 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 1:24:33 PM

interesting i never saw this Topic
how did it end? i am in similar waters
For in him (Jesus) we live and move and have our being-Acts 17:28
kazee
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 03, 2014 3:06:38 PM

The correspondence file for a certain property I own cannot be traced in Ardhi house and so I cannot be able to transact on that piece of land.

WTH is wrong with this docket?

Anyone who can help with a contact to sort me out on this?
mnandii
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 03, 2014 6:56:49 PM

When a title is to be transfered from a dead person to a living one, that is called 'succession'. The fully legal process is to get letter of administration from a chief and together with the death certificate present the same to court and fill out some forms. The docs are then sent to Nairobi for mandatory 3 months gazette notice ( so that if there are other beneficiaries then they can come forward).

After that and with the gazette notice you see the District Land Registrar so that the title changes names from the dead person to the living.

Now. There is another method. Though I am not fully convinced of its authenticity.
You get the letter of admin and the death cert and you approach the land registrar directly to effect the changes. I will not say this route is illegal per se coz the registrar is empowered to make changes to a land record anyway. The only misgiving comes in in not giving notice to 'others' (thr' gazetting) of the intention to transfer the title.

With the coming of NLC and creation of County Land Boards I am sure these questions will be addressed in due course.

Regards.
Conventional thinkers waste time building shelters when they are unnecessary and then have no shelters when they need them the most. Socionomists do the opposite.
Gadaffi
#19 Posted : Tuesday, June 03, 2014 8:21:09 PM

I am tryin to acquire sm piece of land that previously did nt hv a title. The concerned lawyer claims that docs r stuck @ lands office since there is no commissioner of lands yet....am i being taken for a ride???
tinker
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 3:39:30 PM

Am interested in purchasing a prime property and due to its location and figures involved I would like to be 101% sure that the property is clean and free from any issue that may later come to haunt me.

Am in the process of 'due diligence' because the property has 2 issues;
1. Confirmed issue.
There was previous buyer who paid 10% only and nothing else until 90 days notice elapsed.
At the moment, the 1st buyer is asking for another extension of 90 days which the seller is not willing to accept.
The first issue is not a problem to me because I can't commit to buying before the 1st agreement is cancelled by both parties before an advocate.

2. Rumours:
It's rumored that the property is contested by step-sons.
The title is in The seller's name, an old lady who happened to be 2nd or 3rd wife to her late husband.

The real challenge is this rumours because according to the lady, all is fine as succession went on well and property is legally in her name.

I talked to my learned friends. One of the advocate advised that I should apply for Land Green card and check the history. the second advocate advised that I should ask the old lady to swear an affidavit that there are no family related issues whatsoever that could delay the transaction.

If you were in my shoes how would you navigate this one?.
Is a sworn affidavit enough to cover for any - unforeseen family issue in future?.
Would a green card be of any help?..much more than Land registry search document?.

....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..