wazua Sun, Sep 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Access Kenya purely CONNING customers!
KenyanLyrics
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:26:38 PM

Recently, our company(the Laini Group) has been working on improving a web property for a large corporation, and our work was rudely interrupted by an error that implied there was no more space on the servers to work with. We were surprised at this because we had only just begun work on the website. Upon quick investigation, we discovered that the website had been allocated ONLY 10 MEGABYTES OF SPACE on Access Kenya's servers. Not people to be shocked easily, we assumed a minor error in the server was the cause of this. Wetook to the Access Kenya website to get some clarification, only to find that they actually offer ONLY 10 MEGABYTES OF SPACE FOR... 15, 000 BOB!!!

PROOF: http://www.accesskenya.com/smartpackages.html

Compare that to Sasahost, who has managed to host the Laini Group's flagship web property(KenyanLyrics.com) for 2 years. The same price gets you TENS OF THOUSANDS times the space that Access offers!

http://www.sasahost.com/website-hosting

Needless to say, we encouraged the corporation to migrate from Access, and we were out of there in less than 24 hours.

This is without a doubt, the most worthless webhosting package around! And I challenge my fellow web developers to dispute that claim!

Upon checking how on earth somebody could have been duped into such a deal, I discovered that it was the brand strength of Access that had driven the corporation's decision to host with them. The purpose of this message is to not let anybody else be duped by this image Access Kenya has created about being the provider of choice for corporate internet. They also use this ruse to con people into buying advertising on their portal, but that is a story for another day
Djinn
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:46:41 PM

10MB for 15,000? OK, that is daylight robbery. My phone has 20MB internal memory - can I host host your site for 3,000 per year smile
Gordon Gekko
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:10:58 AM

They didn't put a gun to your head. It says very clearly that they give 10MB for ksh 15,000, public information that you were aware of when signing as it is in black and white (yellow and blue!!) on their web site. So quit beating on Access.
bird_man
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:30:28 AM

Stay at your Sasahost and quit being cry babies man.As GG says....no gun was put to your head.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
anasazi
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:31:09 AM

Seems Access Kenya web hosting is firmly stuck in the 90s. 10 MB! For 15K a year you could get unlimited disk space!
Form is temporary, class is permanent
quicksand
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:32:08 AM

@KenyanLyrics is entitled to his rant. For one, he provided info I did not know about - people are always getting duped for assuming they are dealing with rational and reasonable entities, only to find they are not. Are you guys saying you have never skipped the fine print of anything?
sizzla
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:46:19 AM

@ KenyanLyrics you are quite mistaken. Access does not deal in web hosting, the 10MB is just an additional incentive.

What you are actually paying for is the internet link. Make sure to read the fine print...
jguru
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:46:26 AM

This is horrendous! What can corporates do with 10MB of hosting space? It's too little! Anyone who pays 15k to AK for that hosting is, for lack of a better word, a dimwit!
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
sizzla
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:48:43 AM

@ jguru, note my comment above..
Djinn
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:15:03 AM

Notwithstanding the fine print, in this day and age, 10MB for 15,000 is incongruous with industry trends - esp when thinking of Web 2.0 and the fact that good part of content (ergo storage needs affected) comes from without.
sizzla
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:24:36 AM

I agree but think of the 10MB as free hosting for purchasing 15K worth of internet. Simple really...
alma
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:41:45 AM

The pot calling the kettle black

Sasahost offers 48GB hosting space for 8400 a year ....with a free domain name to boot.

Ha!

If the IT department is slow, its not the fault of access. I wonder if they even know what hosting is all about.

In this one I don't blame access. let the buyer beware.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
KenyanLyrics
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 5:51:21 PM

sizzla wrote:
I agree but think of the 10MB as free hosting for purchasing 15K worth of internet. Simple really...

There is absolutely nothing you can do with 10MB in this day and age.

For all those talking about a willing buyer and willing seller sort of situation, this is a zero value offer which they need to put a stop to. This post applies the sort of pressure that's meant to put a stop to this kind of nonsense. I'm already recieving e-mails from concerned parties, which shows that it's working. I have also contacted leading tech bloggers from Kenya to add pressure on Access
Elder
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:17:42 PM

quicksand wrote:
@KenyanLyrics is entitled to his rant. For one, he provided info I did not know about - people are always getting duped for assuming they are dealing with rational and reasonable entities, only to find they are not. Are you guys saying you have never skipped the fine print of anything?

He is entitled to his rant but he is not entitled to falsely accuse Access Kenya of CONNING. As the Lizard has said above the customers know what they are getting. It could be exploiting customers but not CONNING customers.

To make matters worse Kenyanlyrics either cannot think beyond his lines or is intentionally misleading people. The link to Access Kenya he provides clearly states that the 15k package is not solely for hosting but for the following:

Quote:
Speed of 256/512
5 Mailboxes
Domain Registration on co.ke for 1 year
Web Hosting of 10MB
Free Listing on Portal business Directory.

So as sizzla says, the hosting is more of an incentive than anything else as we all know what Access Kenya core business is.

Kenyalyrics post is downright reckless and a case can be made for trade defamation.
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
For Sport
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 8:01:32 PM

sizzla wrote:
@ KenyanLyrics you are quite mistaken. Access does not deal in web hosting, the 10MB is just an additional incentive.

What you are actually paying for is the internet link. Make sure to read the fine print...

Its not even fine print. It is very clearly spelt out on their website. Someone didnt do their job when buying that package. Any time your signature is required on a piece of paper, it makes sense to read and understand what you're signing up for.