wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

To study or to work.
kyt
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:45:42 PM

My brother has started his MBA january 2011 at the UON. He is working on contract, he has paid his first sem fees, 60k, even done his first CAT's. He recently got another job where he is permanent and paid double. Trouble is he was posted to homa bay. What to do? Advise.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Tommy
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:11:36 PM

Tell him to sacrifice today for a better tomorrow. He should stick to his current job and continue schooling, i am sure he will get far much better job in future.
Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It happens every day. ~Albert Camus, The Fall, 1956
runjam
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:14:59 PM

There is a UON campus in Kisumu which offers MBA.Maybe he can consider attending classes there.....
bwenyenye
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:18:24 PM

MBA is a very small thing nowadays. In future he could be able to pay for it and study it via his mobile phone. Mwambie afanye kazi. Atasoma tu.
I Think Therefore I Am
ProverB
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:20:34 PM

kyt wrote:
My brother has started his MBA january 2011 at the UON. He is working on contract, he has paid his first sem fees, 60k, even done his first CAT's. He recently got another job where he is permanent and paid double. Trouble is he was posted to homa bay. What to do? Advise.

must he attend class? it's mba for crying out loud. use technology.. pick notes..use email..come to city for exams,cats etc..most exams are over the weekends..
Infact leaving Nairobi buys him serenity and boredom..both good to study and research bila city distractions..
..Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven...Matt5:16
- 1769 Oxford King James Bible 'Authorized Version
Forester
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:22:57 PM

If he's able to do classes in Kisumu,well and good but otherwise - he should stick to the job,take advantage of the lower expenses he will have to SAVE & INVEST!!!
Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs - Farrah Gray.
Engine
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:03:18 PM

He can have most of his classes on Saturdays and wttend them at the Kisumu Campus then travel back to homabay on Sundays. I know os someone who comes to Nairobi all the way from Kisii on Friday nights to attend his classes on saturdays.
sanity
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:41:29 PM

Work experience pays more than MBA.Afanye kazi kwanza..
Hope is not a strategy
Dash
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:48:45 PM

he can defer from uni for the academic year,take the job see how it goes and choose whether to go back or not in a years time
webish
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:31:29 PM

Dash wrote:
he can defer from uni for the academic year,take the job see how it goes and choose whether to go back or not in a years time

That's the most trickiest thing. Utamu wa pesa hautaruhusu!

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
muganda
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:34:28 PM

Too often we make the mistake of assuming we learn most when pursuing a structured course or earning a certificate.

Is it possible your brother would learn much more from the work in Homa Bay? (money aside)
Do we often forget that learning is a lifetime pursuit? (meaning even if he did his MBA it should not be an end)

If the job in HomaBay is challenging along with utilizing some of what he'd learn in the MBA, I'd say he should go for it.

kadonye
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:03:28 PM

Let him work. Find out the modalities of doing distance-learning. I know a guy who used to come to nai for lectures n exams over the weekend. Again, he will not suffer traffic jam like his colleagues and could even cover more ground!
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
TUPAC
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:50:05 PM

bwenyenye wrote:
MBA is a very small thing nowadays. In future he could be able to pay for it and study it via his mobile phone. Mwambie afanye kazi. Atasoma tu.

thats right benyenye. in future you will be able to do a phd on your mulika mwizi!
...things fall apart...the centre cannot hold..mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...w b yeats
Interested
#14 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2011 2:49:08 AM

If he can afford to do it, he should delay the gratification that the double salary could bring and stick to his studies. It could pay off handsomely later. I did this and have never regretted it. With a better job after my studies, I was able to achieve much more than I think I would if I had not done the studies. I would vouch for it to anyone who can afford it.
Papa Investor
#15 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2011 8:47:08 AM

Would say go for the money especially if it coupled with better work experience....at least he has his undergraduate...for MBA to really work it must be coupled with mature experience, MBA without experience counts for nothing....he can always do distance learning with UNISA..
Wendz
#16 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2011 12:12:42 PM

I'd say, wacha afanye kazi.... he can juggle the two.... Experience is very important... Hii MBA can be done anytime... besides, he has the kisumu campus... plus, the way technology is developing, even UON will have online/distance learning soon....
For Sport
#17 Posted : Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:38:45 PM

I agree with the afanye kazi school.
The irony of it is that people go to school for additional degrees so that they can get better paying jobs. And then of course there is the question whether this MBA will automatically guarantee him a job...Experience counts for more than these papers. Let him weigh his personal circumstances and decide works for him.
Mwananichi
#18 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 11:09:46 AM

ProverB wrote:
kyt wrote:

must he attend class? it's mba for crying out loud. use technology.. pick notes..use email..come to city for exams,cats etc..most exams are over the weekends..
Infact leaving Nairobi buys him serenity and boredom..both good to study and research bila city distractions..

He should NOT defer studies, laziness will creep in, but find a way to study while at HomaBay.

A bird in hand...
kenmac
#19 Posted : Monday, March 07, 2011 4:18:06 PM

KU had distant learning, if UON offers the same, he is safe.
if it does not, ther are two things involved, either defer, or job.
if chooses the job, there are two things involved, he can learn part time, or stop learning.
if he learns part time, there are two things involved,
......Ecclesiastes
2Czar
#20 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:59:17 PM

If training is useful to him, then let him finish his studies.
I left the university at one time, I did not regret it, so much work and without education. But I know that many are lost after leaving the university and cannot find their place. Here you need to think carefully and make a decision that will satisfy all the needs.