wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Why the NSE Index is taking a continuous tumble
mufasa
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:24:16 PM

Here is my 2cents: Since Late last year, the index has continued to tumble despite certain counters showing marginal improvements. Apart from real estate most of the other counters have been very unreliable. Financials have again posted impressive profits but this has not been reflected in the share price. a good example is scbk and BBK.
The country is experiencing one the highest inflation rates that we have seen in recent times. CBK's interest rates although low are not helping much. This is because the cost of living is high - food costs are going high so is petrol. hopefully the rains will be coming soon. politically, we are a mess. in conclusion, the bearish mkt will continue into the foreseeable future. Until the rains come,and the local investor has some money to spend in order for them to spark international investors back.
Do it today! Tomorrow is promise to no-one.
youcan'tstopusnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:27:10 PM

Bear Market = Opportunity To Accumulate Shares You Fancy
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
Aguytrying
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:26:47 AM

Time to be liquid to pick those bargains. Was there really a bull market in the first place when the year began? I think the current downturn is attributable to the crises in north africa n middle east countries. Which in turn has caused a myriad of factors, which has caused the downturn.
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
Aguytrying
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:30:41 AM

Speaking of tumbles, has anyone noticed the co-relation of access kenya n cmc's tumble. They have been falling together in the recent weeks. Weird.
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
ProverB
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:38:30 AM

mufasa wrote:
Here is my 2cents: Since Late last year, the index has continued to tumble despite certain counters showing marginal improvements. Apart from real estate most of the other counters have been very unreliable. Financials have again posted impressive profits but this has not been reflected in the share price. a good example is scbk and BBK.
The country is experiencing one the highest inflation rates that we have seen in recent times. CBK's interest rates although low are not helping much. This is because the cost of living is high - food costs are going high so is petrol. hopefully the rains will be coming soon. politically, we are a mess. in conclusion, the bearish mkt will continue into the foreseeable future. Until the rains come,and the local investor has some money to spend in order for them to spark international investors back.

Please confirm historical market trend over past 20 years ceteris paribus..wazua stock profiler or your broker can help with this
especially ignore one-off indirect historic factors eg..year immediate succeeding election year..

Overall evidence..market picks within feb-march window... slumps to lowest in July-August window.. this applies to stocks where no corporate action such as splits/bonus new issues associate..and ignores ipos
..trend happens every year..without fail.. directly associated with financial releases..that confirm/negate investor market expectations..

That said..current selling..upon confirming results.. and portfolio rebalancing.. common sense.. i think.smile
..Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven...Matt5:16
- 1769 Oxford King James Bible 'Authorized Version
vestor
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:39:35 AM

Aguytrying wrote:
Speaking of tumbles, has anyone noticed the co-relation of access kenya n cmc's tumble. They have been falling together in the recent weeks. Weird.

Interesting scenario, both hitting new lows.the other day I was wondering wether CMC will join neveready and olympia or are these new opportunities worth considering?
mufasa
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:09:48 AM

@ProverB: The only constant factor in life is change, so we really can't hold constant all factors. having said that , there is still a lot of merit in what you say especially about stocks where no corporate action is seen.
We are in this mkt for the profits, don't ignore the red lights, hold your money and get in at the right time. Most counters are heading for rock bottom - Access, olympia,cmc, SCOM, kq is still a little far away. If you ask me, the tumbling trend will reverse in early April. Reason: Kenya is mainly agricultural and after the rains, we will regain our confidence, middle east chaos notwithstanding
ProverB
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:40:35 AM

mufasa wrote:
@ProverB: The only constant factor in life is change, so we really can't hold constant all factors. having said that , there is still a lot of merit in what you say especially about stocks where no corporate action is seen.
We are in this mkt for the profits, don't ignore the red lights, hold your money and get in at the right time. Most counters are heading for rock bottom - Access, olympia,cmc, SCOM, kq is still a little far away. If you ask me, the tumbling trend will reverse in early April. Reason: Kenya is mainly agricultural and after the rains, we will regain our confidence, middle east chaos notwithstanding

@mufasa

... my stand...profit taking is much afoot..so actually my buyin now is making someone else profit! smile..with a few exceptions of scared retailers selling below cost..out of fear..and they ain't so many.. KQ was at some not so distant past at 20bob..someone bought then..he should have sold earlier..but seeing potential gains eroded now..he's more than willing to sell at 39... maybe..that's just one..same can translate to literally all counters save for Access, Kenya Re Cmc and Eveready...and panafric too..

So..in rearranging my portfolio..am sellin off too.. but won't be buying till in very soonest..(sic) May 2011..spread buy all the way through to late august-early september..

I've noticed some already buying..even since november last year..the Likes of Vituvingi, Hisa, Mwanahisa..of course the QW fellow who insulted me while kq was at 45 and heading lower.. smile ..and many others.. I'm convinced we have millionaires here..to sustain buying action 4 months in advance and still continue through peaking season and now while profit taking is afoot!!! I salute you people!

Eh! Applause Applause Applause

Would you like to wager on the April turn around you have indicated? Drool Drool
..Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven...Matt5:16
QD
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:18:37 AM

I think the current mkt index drop seen at the NSE is mostly by the profit takers who entered the mkt at some good buys and wants to cash out and already assured of the dividends on the shares whose books have closed. Compared to other mkts NYSE, NASDAQ this is currently the trend.

..On another note do we have cyclical stocks at the NSE? and do their trends hold i.e the sasini, Rea vipingo, kakuzi etc.

..Also does KPLC and Kengen befit defensive stocks as they are majorly utility backed
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
mwanahisa
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:42:23 AM

ProverB wrote:
mufasa wrote:

@mufasa

I've noticed some already buying..even since november last year..the Likes of Vituvingi, Hisa, Mwanahisa..of course the QW fellow who insulted me while kq was at 45 and heading lower.. smile ..and many others.. I'm convinced we have millionaires here..to sustain buying action 4 months in advance and still continue through picking season and now while profit taking is afoot!!! I salute you people!

Eh! Applause Applause Applause

Would you like to wager on the April turn around you have indicated? Drool Drool

I have actually been a NET SELLER over the last few weeks. I SOLD KPLC (after the rights started trading), BBK (after announcement), Car & General (post announcement)and recently Coop Bank and HFCK (this I only completed selling yesterday). On the other hand I bought Equity @ 27.50 and sold immediately after announcement at 29 although I still retain quite a chunk there. I also made a speculative move into Mumias at average of 7.70 which I have now liquidated at a very modest profit. I have also been ACTIVELY BUYING KCB both before and AFTER the announcement.

While, I am always in the market, I strive to take advantages of spikes and dips on my favoured counters whenever the opportunity presents itself by selling and then re-entering.

I currently have about 20% of my portfolio in cash and I am also watching out for the BARGAINS, of which there are so MANY emerging. I intend to purchase some good dividend plays such as BBK (@65-66 or thereabouts), more KCB and I may even make a play for EA Cables prior to dividend closure if price falls to the Kshs 18 level. The rest will go back into Equity and reentry into HFCK if the price continues falling and a little into my pet stock (Jubilee Ins Holdings). I am also watching KENRE and may buy a few for the heck of it as I believe it is massively undervalued (IT WILL PROBABLY BE UNDERVALUED TILL KINGDOM COME)!!
ProverB
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:04:09 PM

mwanahisa wrote:
I have actually been a NET SELLER over the last few weeks. I SOLD KPLC (after the rights started trading), BBK (after announcement), Car & General (post announcement)and recently Coop Bank and HFCK (this I only completed selling yesterday). On the other hand I bought Equity @ 27.50 and sold immediately after announcement at 29 although I still retain quite a chunk there. I also made a speculative move into Mumias at average of 7.70 which I have now liquidated at a very modest profit. I have also been ACTIVELY BUYING KCB both before and AFTER the announcement.

..unfortunately such actions are never reported..leaving those who bought with you stuck with the counter! LOL!! you probably sold to someone who thought your picks were still good buys!!

mwanahisa wrote:
I currently have about 20% of my portfolio in cash and I am also watching out for the BARGAINS, of which there are so MANY emerging. I intend to purchase some good dividend plays such as BBK (@65-66 or thereabouts), more KCB and I may even make a play for EA Cables prior to dividend closure if price falls to the Kshs 18 level. The rest will go back into Equity and reentry into HFCK if the price continues falling and a little into my pet stock (Jubilee Ins Holdings). I am also watching KENRE and may buy a few for the heck of it as I believe it is massively undervalued (IT WILL PROBABLY BE UNDERVALUED TILL KINGDOM COME)!!

Applause Applause
Financials.. smile
..of Kenya Re.. i don't understand insurance though i don't mind watching.. been using it as teaching material to first years..as a buy every month since October last year..till they get out of college.. inaction in the counter keeps off emotional attachment and they get to learn better than had they gone for a more positive counter! Teheheheheheh!!
For Sport
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:09:22 PM

ProverB wrote:
mufasa wrote:

Please confirm historical market trend over past 20 years ceteris paribus..wazua stock profiler or your broker can help with this
especially ignore one-off indirect historic factors eg..year immediate succeeding election year..

Overall evidence..market picks within feb-march window... slumps to lowest in July-August window.. this applies to stocks where no corporate action such as splits/bonus new issues associate..and ignores ipos
..trend happens every year..without fail.. directly associated with financial releases..that confirm/negate investor market expectations..

That said..current selling..upon confirming results.. and portfolio rebalancing.. common sense.. i think.smile

This is why I LOVE wazua. So may research shortcuts. Thanks!!
Obi 1 Kanobi
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:53:14 PM

Reasons:

Bond trading; Mostly by institutional investors and pensions schemes, they made a kill in 2010 and more went in, I think they are going to get scalded in 2011 because most Kenyans (even the so called professionals) always like following the crowds, the equity market returns this year will lure many people back.

Real Estate; Many individuals are finally understanding the mortgage market and moving there

Foreigners; Most are keeping off frontier markets as they wait for the Arab flu to subside.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
mwanahisa
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:35:56 PM

ProverB wrote:
..unfortunately such actions are never reported..leaving those who bought with you stuck with the counter! LOL!! you probably sold to someone who thought your picks were still good buys!!

@ProverB. Actually I do indicate when I sell(e.g. if you go through the blogs I have contributed on stocks such as HFCK, KPLC & CnG, you will see this, while for Mumias I had a predetermined target). Admittedly I do NOT do it all the time and even when I do, it will usually be after the fact. Besides, the comment on the sale may not necessarily be prompt upon selling or even on the initial thread, hence I agree it may be difficult for "followers" to adopt an identical or even similar strategy.

There are various reasons for this e.g. a sudden change of circumstances in relation to the company which requires a swift reaction and hence does not allow for time to "announce" the sale. In addition in cases of thinly traded shares, I for one will not want to spook the market by indicating that I intend to sell as I may then not even be able to get a buyer especially if I am selling a substantial quantity. You may consider this selfish but then my primary responsibility is to myself.

Folks should keep in mind that views expressed are NOT sacrosanct and can sometimes change on a whim, even when they were originally stated with the best of intentions. Furthermore very few of us will want to BROADCAST it when we sell at a loss.

People buy into various counters for different reasons, hence my motives for BUYING/SELLING will not necessarily be the same as for others and I guess that's partly the reason I find sellers when I think a counter is a good buy and vice versa. When all is said and done, one needs to do their own research and that's why many of us carry disclaimers especially on our buys.

Personally, I do NOT buy/sell a counter ONLY because of what I read on Wazua although it does sometimes contribute to my decision. In any event, it may prompt me to watch a particular stock more closely, even when I do not trade in that counter. I find Wazua pretty good in gauging the mood of the market. This is both in general terms and sometimes specifically towards individual counters, which is helpful for corroborating whatever fundamentals I have on a counter, as I am not skilled in TA.

In closing, I reiterate a comment I once read somewhere that stock blogs often carry a lot of bias. Hence they are unreliable sources of stock advice as one cannot be sure what the bloggers motivation really is. A cardinal rule therefore is that one should always treat what they read here with CAUTION.
Aguytrying
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:55:45 PM

good read, even learned a new word, to boot.
mufasa
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:13:59 PM

@mwanahisa: good insights. I agree with you that one must do there own personal research in addition to what is in wazua. although I must say that most contributors in wazua do have pretty good insights in some cases.
having said that, i dont understand what you see in EA cables, this is the 2nd yr running that they are experiencing losses. maybe even 3rd am not sure. And KCB.... full of good propects you'd think the stock will soon sky rocket, but i highly doubt it will pass the KSh. 25/= by close of the yr. and even that 25/= could be overatted. They have good profits, biggest percentage in the property mkt, expanding branches etc. on the other hand though KCB is not properly managed hence the poor performance in its stock price
Gatheuzi
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:56:02 PM

Good read: @ mwanahisa & @ proverb.

Keep it up guys. I am trying to reposition myself. Having played banks for last qtr of last year, I am already attempting to sell EB. That will leave me with DTB which I will dispose one results either confirm a bonus or leaves most of us high and dry.

My next moves will go 2wards highly speculitive plays targeting max of 20%. I will also transfer some of the profits to real estate at least upto 2013 when I expect any significant mrkt comeback to resume.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
Gatheuzi
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:00:18 PM

Good read: @ mwanahisa & @ proverb.

Keep it up guys. I am trying to reposition myself. Having played banks for last qtr of last year, I am already attempting to sell EB. That will leave me with DTB which I will dispose one results either confirm a bonus or leaves most of us high and dry.

My next moves will go 2wards highly speculitive plays targeting max of 20%. I will also transfer some of the profits to real estate at least upto 2013 when I expect any significant mrkt comeback to resume.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
mwanahisa
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:11:42 PM

@Mufasa. Thanks. I agree that I continuously find useful information/views from a good number of Wazua bloggers. That does not however mean that I should regard anyone's opinion as sacred. But I certainly consider them when shaping my own.

On E.A. Cables, if you refer to the thread on the day they released their results, I indicated that I was a buyer in the Kshs 17 to 18 range. I was not able to buy in and it briefly managed to cross the Kshs 20 barrier, but I was NOT gonna chase it (Thanks be to God). At 18, I am considering buying it for
(a) the dividend yield of 5.56%;
(b) the "turnaround" story - H2 EPS was 81 cents against 31 cents in H1. I am betting that the impairments in H1 completely "cleaned house";
(c) speculation that if Trans Century lists it will seek to stabilize or even push up the EAC price as this is one of their major investments.

KCB - All the reasons you have indicated. PLUS, I will get a nice dividend on a liquid share whose management now seems to be improving while I wait for the price to catch up with its fundamentals. I admit that I am living in hope here, but it has worked previously, so why not?
vimto2505
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:19:04 PM

Hi Guys, I just want to know about kenyan stock market. Do you have any Future & Option instrument in market.

Also is it allowed to shortsell index / stock ?

I do trade in INDIA. My todays turnover was 1.8 million kenyan shiling.

I was just being curious about market hence asked.