wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages«<5678>
The Housing Bubble in Kenya will Burst very soon....
streetwise
#121 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 3:27:24 PM

Although we all agree there is hyper competition in real estate and that demand is so strange people at times seems to think owning the land is the end game I still don’t see what will cause the bust..

What is the cause of demand for land and housing..

1. Speculation

2. Foreigners rushing into Kenya to catch a bit of the wealth as the economy grows ( some find land cheap compared to where they come from).

3. Population of 46M people growing at least 2.5% per year.

4. More of lower income moving into middle income and can afford more luxury.

5. The UN bodies hosed in Kenya.

6. Kenya being the gateway to other EA countries there are a lot of transit residents

7. The fact that those with large chunks of land are not willing to sub divide.

8. Migration from rural to urban.

9. A Diaspora who want to invest in the country and can afford a bit more than the average local.

10. The fact that most of the new comers are knowing pulling into Chama’s and bank loans are no longer the only way to invest. Check out what is the % of real estate on mortgage.

Please continue.......
Othelo
#122 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 4:02:43 PM

streetwise wrote:

Please continue.......

1.Kick backs which is cheap money not worked for therefore you can afford to throw it around - 10%!

2. Gova infrastructure projects inawacha pesa kwa mkono wa locals etc
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
streetwise
#123 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 4:31:00 PM

Yawa
Jodaco
#124 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 5:00:44 PM

Hi Wazuans

I have just joined this forum cause there's a lot of streetwise information here. My take on this discussion is that a bubble bust is not going to happen anytime soon. What we are seeing is an oversupply of apartments in a number of upmarket areas, but not across the board.
#125 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 5:52:16 PM

Saw some apartments in Hatheru Road going for 49m and some have been booked, so I don't what bubble we're talking about.

But on a different note I saw an article in Business Daily that either WB or IMF says Kenyan Banks have not safeguarded themselves against the rising bad debts and they could bring them down... could be from housing loans.

BBI will solve it
:)
innairobi
#126 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 6:39:16 PM

2012 wrote:
Saw some apartments in Hatheru Road going for 49m and some have been booked, so I don't what bubble we're talking about.

But on a different note I saw an article in Business Daily that either WB or IMF says Kenyan Banks have not safeguarded themselves against the rising bad debts and they could bring them down... could be from housing loans.

Cant be from mortgages. There are more than 15 million bank accounts in Kenya and mortgages are way below 50,000.
All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves.
Boris Boyka
#127 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 9:28:24 PM

Am coming!!!
www.businessdailyafrica....0/-/y49k62z/-/index.html keep my space.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
sanjom
#128 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 9:16:05 AM

mlennyma wrote:
I can confirm from where I live the report is true,some flats have been vacant since august,you may think the owners want them vacant but no,they will take time to admit the sensible thing to do is to adjust rent downwards and stop living in denial its real

Are you saying that constructing MIDDLE CLASS apartments today is like investing in quail?
mlennyma
#129 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 9:21:06 AM

sanjom wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
I can confirm from where I live the report is true,some flats have been vacant since august,you may think the owners want them vacant but no,they will take time to admit the sensible thing to do is to adjust rent downwards and stop living in denial its real

Are you saying that constructing MIDDLE CLASS apartments today is like investing in quail?

not really but the demand has slowed down and the number of vacant house's continues to increase, there was a time you couldn't get a vacant house without being exploited by agents dishing viewing commissions
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
nakujua
#130 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 9:53:29 AM

Boris Boyka wrote:

was this the case in Nakuru? a whole acre in the cbd - wololo.
Quote:

Some four years ago, an acre of land in the CBD was worth between Sh1 million and Sh5 million
Sober
#131 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 10:50:02 AM

sanjom wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

On the flip side we should understand that some of the house owners make more money by treating the houses as an asset that can be used as collateral rather so they are not worried about lack of tenants as long as it's less than 3 months
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
popat
#132 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 10:54:38 AM

@nakujua.I don't know where these people get there figures from because 1 acre at Nakuru in the CBD was not going for one Million in 2010.I was around and thats nothing near the truth.Remember this was after the post election violence and prices were hitting the roof thanks to our moneyed brothers from North Rift.
Gatheuzi
#133 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 3:42:34 PM

2012 wrote:

@2012 are you sure they are booked, or is it the agent saying so or is it a sign board saying 90% booked?
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
Boris Boyka
#134 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:46:41 AM

nakujua wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

was this the case in Nakuru? a whole acre in the cbd - wololo.
Quote:

Some four years ago, an acre of land in the CBD was worth between Sh1 million and Sh5 million

@nakujua..maybe. @Popat how much was it going at?? I remember before PEV the town was slooooow. Jioni at 6.00 pm ulikua streets alone with all shops closed. asubuhi 8 a.m was the time, ukitoka mapema you were alone on streets. renting a maisonnette was 10k . truly prices started skyrocketing...and now very many new storyed buildings.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
eco
#135 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:53:09 PM

streetwise wrote:
Although we all agree there is hyper competition in real estate and that demand is so strange people at times seems to think owning the land is the end game I still don’t see what will cause the bust..

What is the cause of demand for land and housing..

1. Speculation

2. Foreigners rushing into Kenya to catch a bit of the wealth as the economy grows ( some find land cheap compared to where they come from).

3. Population of 46M people growing at least 2.5% per year.

4. More of lower income moving into middle income and can afford more luxury.

5. The UN bodies hosed in Kenya.

6. Kenya being the gateway to other EA countries there are a lot of transit residents

7. The fact that those with large chunks of land are not willing to sub divide.

8. Migration from rural to urban.

9. A Diaspora who want to invest in the country and can afford a bit more than the average local.

10. The fact that most of the new comers are knowing pulling into Chama’s and bank loans are no longer the only way to invest. Check out what is the % of real estate on mortgage.

Please continue.......

@streetwise, good points.

Population growth for example will continue to drive demand for housing. With projected population of about 56M by 2024 and 65M by 2030, where will these individuals be living? Sales OR Rentals>High end>Middle>Lower end segments may experience short term bubbles but I don't see a burst soon in KE.

Such a high population growth will also continue to drive up the cost of land.
Swenani
#136 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 8:37:12 AM

Jodaco wrote:
Hi Wazuans

I have just joined this forum cause there's a lot of streetwise information here. My take on this discussion is that a bubble bust is not going to happen anytime soon. What we are seeing is an oversupply of apartments in a number of upmarket areas, but not across the board.

Quote:
Increased Supply - According to the World Bank, 35.0% of housing supply in Kenya is in the high-end market and another 48.0% in the upper middle income market whereas the highest demand is in the lower middle and low income segments, Increased development in the high end and upper middle segments of the market has resulted in increased supply, which has resulted in slowing down of price appreciation in areas such as Kileleshwa and Westlands changing to a 1.1% and 3.5% appreciation in 2017 compared to 4.7% and 6.4% appreciation in 2016, respectively.

If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
obiero
#137 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:25:08 PM

2012 wrote:

Ideally that 49m house shall get a buyer, but the money used is 99% likely to be proceeds of corruption. 88% of Kenyans earning a decent living cannot afford a home worth more than KES 4,500,000.. 11% can afford >KES 4,500,000 while the remaining 1% can even obtain a condo in NY

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Swenani
#138 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:27:09 PM

obiero wrote:
2012 wrote:

Ideally that 49m house shall get a buyer, but the money used is 99% likely to be proceeds of corruption. 88% of Kenyans earning a decent living cannot afford a home worth more than KES 4,500,000.. 11% can afford >KES 4,500,000 while the remaining 1% can even obtain a condo in NY

source and rink
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Angelica _ann
#139 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:32:28 PM

Swenani wrote:
obiero wrote:
2012 wrote:

source and rink

Exchange bar & #Gossip
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
maka
#140 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:35:50 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Swenani wrote:
obiero wrote:
2012 wrote:

source and rink

Exchange bar & #Gossip

But its true do the math...
possunt quia posse videntur