wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages«<45678>
The Housing Bubble in Kenya will Burst very soon....
Ash Ock
#101 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 10:54:28 AM

Quote:
Kenya’s Real Estate Market is easy to confuse investors. People following the rule of demand and supply believe that the Real Estate Market in Kenya is still strong and has a long way to go. Well sometimes things are not so simple. Kenya has a huge need for housing, but for affordable housing. The Kenyan economic growth did not follow the pace of growth of Real estate prices over the last years.

The property market has reached levels completely out of range for the Kenyan family. Middle class is the main excuse that real estate speculators are using to explain and support the argument that the market is strong, the reality is that there is a small part of the Kenyan population that consists of Kenya’s “middle class.” In real terms though, this middle class unfortunately has still very low affordability. In Nairobi, a well paid employee is making on average 40-50000 KES … (450-550 USD), that makes it impossible to pay a mortgage on a monthly installment or to save enough money to buy any property on cash basis.

Trapped in between a very expensive cost of living in Nairobi and debts (car loans etc), the average family is struggling to survive and lives on a day by day basis. Today, the cheapest three (3) bedroom apartment in Nairobi County is selling at about KES. 4.5 million (Approximately USD.50, 000). Very few people have this kind of money in cash and mortgage is a very difficult option in Kenya. (Kenya has less than 20,000 mortgages).

High mortgage rates is one of the reasons that have led to a slowdown in the property market over the last few months. Potential home owners delay buying decisions waiting for the interest rates and prices to reduce. Having bug liabilities of loans with interest rates that exceed 20%, developers are trapped in a market that is slowing down. They are struggling to maintain the prices which are already starting to depreciate.

The average Kenyan family makes up the lower and the middle class (approx…80% (L) & 15 % (M)), of the population respectively, and are creating a huge demand for affordable housing. Sadly, only expensive options are currently available in the Kenyan market. Like any other market, any continuous growth has to be supported by a strong economy. The last 5 years have seen the average house price increasing by at least three to four times. Within the same period, the number of apartments and houses delivered from developers have also increased tremendously. In order to sustain this market growth, we need to use common sense and simply require the following:

A. The average income of a Kenyan family should have increased with the same ratio (3 to 4 times at least).

B. In order to cover the available market supply, we should have a tremendous increase of the number of families who can afford to buy a house with today’s prices.

Unfortunately none of the above has happened. So far, people have been spending their life savings and have been borrowing money with crazy interest rates in order to be part of the real estate “opportunity” of Kenya. It seems that there is not much cash left in the saving accounts of the average Kenyan family….

Money has changed hands from the poor to the rich. Foreign investors are not an option either due to lack of infrastructure, low quality, security issues, instability etc. The Diaspora who have supported from their part the market for the last years cannot (alone) maintain the huge Kenyan market.The Real Estate Market started to cool down a few months ago. Developers who initially started projects based on the off plan sales model, are trapped in between loans and obligations as it takes on average more than 8 months to sell a new apartment.

Rentals are going crazy high. The reason is very simple. It is not that the real estate is growing, people cannot afford to buy, the only other option is to rent. This is driving rental prices high and soon they will be unaffordable for the average Kenyan family. It is not a secret anymore that families are going back to their home cities as Nairobi is becoming a very expensive place to live, the reason why “bedsitters” is the new trend in the Kenyan market.

Real estate investors’ interest in building and buying bedsitters is increasing because the units offer a faster return on investment and higher financial liquidity. Consequently, property developers are left with a cash hitch and glut in high-end and middle-income units, prompting them to venture into bedsitters which are easier to sell or rent.

There is only one way this market can stabilize and keep going on, prices have to meet affordability and that requires a large price correction. A severe decrease of mortgage interest rates is also necessary. People must realize that it is impossible for any country’s economy to be based on Real Estate therefore, they should start investing in the real economy of Kenya i.e. Agriculture, Tourism, Transportation etc.

Kenya has an amazing human resource power which should be used to start producing and exporting instead of importing. Real estate is an industry that requires knowledge, experience, assets, time and the ability to follow the markets, analyze them and always be ready to take a loss. Markets based on amateurs are very fragile.

Real estate sounds like the way to access easy profits, sometimes it is, most of the times though, it is also the easy way to lose money as well. Even today, the market has opportunities for those who know, but the risk factor is something to be considered a lot.

Anyone who wants to invest big or small in this market should be careful. Analyze properly all the macroeconomic as well as microeconomic facts of Kenya (The same applies for any other country too). Consideration should also be directed to the current security and Political situation as well as the currency fluctuation. Many people investing their life savings have never even heard of terms like GDP, Inflation, Public Debt etc, and that is a sign of how dangerous the market can be if it is controlled by rumors and not knowledge.

Below are Kenyan economic facts from the latest published Monthly Economic Review for Kenya (June 2014) prepared by the Central Bank of Kenya.

Public Debt

Kenya’s public and publicly guaranteed debt increased by 25.1 percent to reach Ksh. 2,370.3 billion in June 2014, from Ksh. 1,894.1 billion in June, 2013. The total debt stock at the end of June 2014 was equivalent to 49.8 percent of GDP, compared with 44.5 percent of GDP in June 2013. The debt to GDP ratios for both domestic and external debts increased from 24.7 percent and 19.8 percent, respectively, in June 2013 to 27.0 percent and 22.8 percent in June 2014.

Government Budgetary Performance

The Government budgetary operations to the end of the FY 2013/14 resulted into a deficit of Ksh 309.1 billion (6.5 percent of GDP) on commitment basis compared with a deficit of Ksh 249.5 billion incurred in the same period of the FY 2012/13.

Exchange Rate

The Kenya shilling portrayed mixed performance against major international and regional currencies during the month of June 2014. It weakened to the US Dollar, the Pound Sterling and the Japanese Yen.

Real GDP growth

The economy was resilient, with output growth at 5.7 percent in 2013 compared with 4.5 percent in 2012. In the first two quarters of 2014, the economy grew by 4.4n percent and 5.8 percent, respectively, compared with growths of 6.4 percent and 7.2 percent in comparable quarters of 2013. Growth in the first and second quarters of 2014 was supported by improved performance in manufacturing, construction and health.

Inflation

Overall 12-month inflation rose from 7.3 percent in May 2014 to 7.4 percent in June 2014. This was reflected in fuel inflation, which rose by 89 basis points to 9.0 percent, and in non-food non-fuel inflation which rose by 11 basis points to 4.5 percent. Annual average inflation also rose 6.8 percent in May 2014 to 7.1 percent in June 2014. The actual average inflation in June 2013 was 4.56% .An increase of 50%+ is to be noticed in 12months!!!

Source
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
knight260
#102 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:19:30 PM

The only one capable to correct the market is GOK. No investment in affordable housing even after county govt took office. So nothing like a correction will occur soon. If you got money, real estate is a viable investment option.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#103 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:22:00 PM

There will be a stagnation, rather. There is high demand for housing but affordability is the concern here. By taking a 20 year mortgage, due to the interests, you end up paying more than double what you borrowed!! There are several projects that were sold off plan, and due to the high cost of capital, the projects have failed to take off or reach completion. An example is Olympic Plaza in Upperhill, guys made deposits for office units units that they were to buy upon completion but the project has stalled half way and the investors are now crying foul!
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
derick
#104 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 6:44:51 PM

Rise of apartments in Nairobi suburbs causes housing glut - http://www.standardmedia...e/?articleID=2000150237 via @StandardKenya
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
mlennyma
#105 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 9:31:12 PM

interesting to note singe rooms in many parts never lack tenants of the lower end.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
enyands
#106 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 10:08:39 PM

Just Iinvest Iin rented one bedroom houses targeting tthe population a little bit lower than the middle class like flower farm workers . Charge 3k a month and u are set
derick
#107 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2015 10:21:52 PM

enyands wrote:
Just Iinvest Iin rented one bedroom houses targeting tthe population a little bit lower than the middle class like flower farm workers . Charge 3k a month and u are set

That Makes alot of sense . considering the fact that the majority of population are underpaid.
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
dunkang
#108 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 10:18:54 AM

enyands wrote:

1 bedroom for 3K??? NOT in many urban centers in Kenya where a flower farm is located.

Single room, yes, 1 bed room, NO!
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

mlennyma
#109 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 10:28:09 AM

I can confirm from where I live the report is true,some flats have been vacant since august,you may think the owners want them vacant but no,they will take time to admit the sensible thing to do is to adjust rent downwards and stop living in denial its real
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
dunkang
#110 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 11:12:10 AM

mlennyma wrote:
I can confirm from where I live the report is true,some flats have been vacant since august,you may think the owners want them vacant but no,they will take time to admit the sensible thing to do is to adjust rent downwards and stop living in denial its real

Maybe in the "High end to Upper-Middle Classes".

Huku mitaani, mimi bado ona hayo, though the landlords' "Kama huwezi, HAMA!!!" @kaigangio tough talks have gone down.

But RENT will never go down, maybe stagnate for 3-5 years!
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

bazuka
#111 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 4:12:08 PM

mlennyma wrote:

Most guys pay deposit then follow up with mortgages. However, mortgage approval takes time and this is why many new estates take up to an year to get occupied. the owners are still following up with their financiers to get mortgages.
Chaka
#112 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 4:39:56 PM

derick wrote:
Rise of apartments in Nairobi suburbs causes housing glut - http://www.standardmedia...e/?articleID=2000150237 via @StandardKenya

If I was looking for a rental house,'style' would least matter to me..I would be more interested in affordability,security,water availability,access road ..
Boris Boyka
#113 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 5:18:18 PM

Real Estate is an area of my future intrest. I will invest here. That said,am happy to hear a stagnation or burst whichever. Actually I will be VEEEERRRRYYY HAPPY to hear a lot of office spaces and rentals from singles to 3b/rm. This will mean "we" nikiwa landlord we lower or maintain prices... With defaulters,banks will have to lower intrest rates for defaulters...consequently...lower morgatge rates....What is ailing us is the GREEED! The salary strikes we are experiencing in kenya is as a result of "keter" reasonig. Instead of asking for pay increase we should strive for high production of goods and services so that prices go down thus we all can afford at our salaries. Each kenyan hufikiria akiongezwa mshahara...ya wengine itabaki hivo ndio awe tajiri kuwashinda. I advocate for flooding of goods and services Manyumba leading so as to stabilize. This craze of ours explains why our colonial time peers are doing well.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
innovator
#114 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 5:58:51 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
Real Estate is an area of my future intrest. I will invest here. That said,am happy to hear a stagnation or burst whichever. Actually I will be VEEEERRRRYYY HAPPY to hear a lot of office spaces and rentals from singles to 3b/rm. This will mean "we" nikiwa landlord we lower or maintain prices... With defaulters,banks will have to lower intrest rates for defaulters...consequently...lower morgatge rates....What is ailing us is the GREEED! The salary strikes we are experiencing in kenya is as a result of "keter" reasonig. Instead of asking for pay increase we should strive for high production of goods and services so that prices go down thus we all can afford at our salaries. Each kenyan hufikiria akiongezwa mshahara...ya wengine itabaki hivo ndio awe tajiri kuwashinda. I advocate for flooding of goods and services Manyumba leading so as to stabilize. This craze of ours explains why our colonial time peers are doing well.

On point.
At one time i thought my salary and pension we growing, only to calculate after some years and find that it never catered for inflation and increase in property prices.
smallfama
#115 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:35:06 PM

Mortgages in Kenya are simply unaffordable. The number of mortgages currently stand at 30,000. If you want a studio apartment worth 4.5m you will have to be paying KES 60,000 for a mortgage priced at 15% per annum for the next 20 yrs. Assuming a debt income ratio of 50% for conservative banks you need to be earning at least KES 120,000 net per month and without any other debt, hata HELB. Now, tell me how many people are earning such amounts in NBI leave alone Kenya. Developers will always have that billboard shouting 90% sold to hoodwink you into thinking you have to hurry and pay for a unit. I have seen such a banner for close to one yr on some houses along Waiyaki way and keep wondering, shouldn't they be sold out by now? I have seen landlords get rude when they finish new units only to lower the rent and start calling the same potential tenents they were rude to. The mortgages only take up 6% of total loan portfolio in the banking industry in Kenya so I don't think banks will lower interest rates soon; after all they are still making insane profits without those mortgages. The bottom of the pyramid is where the juice is...that is why you still see people living in houses which are at risk of collapsing.
Kaigangio
#116 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:39:11 PM

dunkang wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

Maybe in the "High end to Upper-Middle Classes".

Huku mitaani, mimi bado ona hayo, though the landlords' "Kama huwezi, HAMA!!!" @kaigangio tough talks have gone down.

But RENT will never go down, maybe stagnate for 3-5 years!

Not really @dunkang...landlords down these sides of ours are very innovative...they are trapping all those tenants running away from Buru Buru, Pangani, Adams Arcade etc...

As for new flats, the landlords are focused on the popular units where the majority of the tenants can afford...believe me, when I tell you the demand is still there and increasing...

The tough talks will still remain because if it does not McReggae will stay in the flat for a full year without paying rent with scenario impossibles at the end of the month...
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Boris Boyka
#117 Posted : Thursday, February 05, 2015 10:19:42 PM

innovator wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

On point.
At one time i thought my salary and pension we growing, only to calculate after some years and find that it never catered for inflation and increase in property prices.

Such are fellows i was talking of
www.standardmedia.co.ke/...our-economy&pageNo=2 ati every year salary and infaltion should increase.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
enyands
#118 Posted : Thursday, February 05, 2015 10:30:10 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
innovator wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Real Estate is an area of my future intrest. I will invest here. That said,am happy to hear a stagnation or burst whichever. Actually I will be VEEEERRRRYYY HAPPY to hear a lot of office spaces and rentals from singles to 3b/rm. This will mean "we" nikiwa landlord we lower or maintain prices... With defaulters,banks will have to lower intrest rates for defaulters...consequently...lower morgatge rates....What is ailing us is the GREEED! The salary strikes we are experiencing in kenya is as a result of "keter" reasonig. Instead of asking for pay increase we should strive for high production of goods and Applause services so that prices go down thus we all can afford at our salaries. Each kenyan hufikiria akiongezwa mshahara...ya wengine itabaki hivo ndio awe tajiri kuwashinda. I advocate for flooding of goods and services Manyumba leading so as to stabilize. This craze of ours explains why our colonial time peers are doing well.

On point.

www.standardmedia.co.ke/...our-economy&pageNo=2 ati every year salary and infaltion should increase.

whiteowl
#119 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 12:16:55 AM

Boris Boyka wrote:
innovator wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

On point.

@BorisBoyka you're right. This is a load of crap from Economics point of view. If you increase salaries when inflation increases you'll create more inflation coz people will have more to spend hence needing another salary increase to keep pace with inflation so it's a zero sum game.If the basic goods can be produced n retailed lower prices (either via efficiencies in production or some subsidies of some sort) that can enable more Kenyans live comfortably with their current salaries without needing year on year increases.
kasibitta
#120 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 12:25:13 PM

Very insightful comments here.Ever learning each day.