wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages123>»
The Housing Bubble in Kenya will Burst very soon....
Pastor M
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:03:49 PM

http://www.standardmedia...to+boost+home+ownership

Code:
The Central Bank report. Here are a few selected excerpts from the above report:
* only eight per cent of Kenyans — 320, 000 households — can afford a mortgage was shocking
* for one to buy a house worth Sh2 million, for example, one must have a net salary of Sh100,000, and service the loan at Sh42,000 a month for a period of 15 years at an interest rate of 14.5 per cent. Those earning less have no place in the mortgage industry and must find another way of owning their dream house
* The shocking revelations also indicate that the total mortgage loan book in the country is only 16,000 accounts, while the total value of mortgage loans, as at the end of December last year was Sh133.6 billion. This means that, technically, only 16,000 people/organisations in the whole of Kenya have taken up mortgages
* It is also an indication that buying property in Kenya is predominantly for the rich, who opt for cash sales as opposed to mortgages.
* Professionals in the housing sector say the findings reflect the high level of speculation on land that has pushed property prices through the roof
[b]Conclusion[/b]
Only 1 in 10 Kenyans can afford to buy the home that they live in, and even fewer Kenyan can afford to take up mortgages. In my mind, this report clearly indicates that the Kenyan real estate market is in the middle of a bubble. Real estate prices have gotten to be so high that the great majority of Kenyans just cannot afford real estate.
Sooner or later, this bubble will burst and prices will come crashing down. Many of the “me too” real estate developers and investors will lose vast sums of money. It is just a matter of time…...
Papa Investor
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:30:13 PM

Need to study this in detail...only 16,000 mortgage accounts...but at least the mortgage per account is a reasonable 8m per account which is at least not out of this world...
Seles83
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:44:47 PM

Pastor M wrote:
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/editorial/InsidePage.php?id=2000030176&cid=16&story=Fresh+ideas+needed+to+boost+home+ownership

Code:
The Central Bank report. Here are a few selected excerpts from the above report:
* only eight per cent of Kenyans — 320, 000 households — can afford a mortgage was shocking
* for one to buy a house worth Sh2 million, for example, one must have a net salary of Sh100,000, and service the loan at Sh42,000 a month for a period of 15 years at an interest rate of 14.5 per cent. Those earning less have no place in the mortgage industry and must find another way of owning their dream house
* The shocking revelations also indicate that the total mortgage loan book in the country is only 16,000 accounts, while the total value of mortgage loans, as at the end of December last year was Sh133.6 billion. This means that, technically, only 16,000 people/organisations in the whole of Kenya have taken up mortgages
* It is also an indication that buying property in Kenya is predominantly for the rich, who opt for cash sales as opposed to mortgages.
* Professionals in the housing sector say the findings reflect the high level of speculation on land that has pushed property prices through the roof
[b]Conclusion[/b]
Only 1 in 10 Kenyans can afford to buy the home that they live in, and even fewer Kenyan can afford to take up mortgages. In my mind, this report clearly indicates that the Kenyan real estate market is in the middle of a bubble. Real estate prices have gotten to be so high that the great majority of Kenyans just cannot afford real estate.
Sooner or later, this bubble will burst and prices will come crashing down. Many of the “me too” real estate developers and investors will lose vast sums of money. It is just a matter of time…...

The bubble burst still far from coming close..crazy returns yep..but bubble burst not yet..

The problem with Kenya is that the gap between rich and poor is so great..hence home ownership is very low...
More monies, more problems...
pessa
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:51:56 PM

was present there when the report was availed.
Reporters!!!! What the standard guy does not mention is that Kenyas urban population will double in the coming years. The middle class will also grow as economies across Africa grow. The interest rates should also be reduced to manageable levels below 10%. in Sweden it is 4% for mortgage rates. The prices will also go as inflation picks up. Costs of land will obviously grow but to counter this Kenya should go the Rwanda way and tax unused land. Rental income will go down. My russian friend tells me Kenya is where most Easter Europeans countries were in Real Estate 20 years ago.

Developers will also narrow down to only a few competitors. Right now everyone wants a piece of the pie but not everyone will survive. Only a few developers will.
Sigiriri
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:55:51 PM

There has been such a post here before, but at least now we have the figures...

I stand by my opinion back then - it's just a matter of time - the bubble WILL burst. Don't panick though - this may happen in another 20years when u have reaped handsomely from this overpricing anyway - but don't also invest without caution - it might burst next week, month.... All that's missing is a spark - KPLC, weka wire moto!
The Merchant
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:06:23 PM

Seles83 wrote:
Pastor M wrote:
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/editorial/InsidePage.php?id=2000030176&cid=16&story=Fresh+ideas+needed+to+boost+home+ownership

Code:
[b]Conclusion[/b]

The bubble burst still far from coming close..crazy returns yep..but bubble burst not yet..

The problem with Kenya is that the gap between rich and poor is so great..hence home ownership is very low...

Hmmmm, I don't know....d'oh! I can buy a house for $34,000 in Las Vegas but not in Nairobi, no? That's about Kes2.7 m. That cannot even come close to getting me a house in Karen, where I have to supply my own water. Strange economics. Real estate in kenya is a massive gamble. I think prices are just rising because people 'know' they should. But bubble, not sooo fast.Shame on you
yuleyule
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:15:12 PM

We are right in the path that was taken by the developed countries. Unfortunately it is like a pre-determined path that has to be followed. The bubble will burst, the question is when?
pessa
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:41:18 PM

i disagee..the world population is 7 billion now..in the year 2050 it will be 9 billion Of these around 2 billion will be african. Prices in the equator will rise as environments in the north and south of the equator get unstable..Making it harder to grow food there, higher population will mean more food to feed, less land to cultivate and high prices for food etc. Africa is the only virgin continent in the world. It should eventually move into the asian and South American way..its going to take a while before Real Estate crushes but if at all it will it will rebound. Land will be a more expensive commodoity than oil in the future and Sub Saharan Africa will reap alot.
Cde Monomotapa
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:49:58 PM

James Mwangi was on telly jana saying how he is thinking of how to replicate the Equity model in Kenya's mortgage market. His vision is to see a person earning 20K accessing a mortgage. My 1st thought was SUBPRIME HERE WE COME. When this banker gets his way then we will be headed str8 to bubble world. My take on our current position is that they'll be price stagnation as more low cost houses are supplied. The counties will also distribute demand & capital more evenly.
MatataMingi
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:11:47 PM

This is shocking and very sad.

Only 16,000 people have a mortgage. I cant believe it.

A guy with a NET salary of 100k pm. has to pay 42k pm. I can believe it for short term
loans - but for 15 years . Madness.

I see a lot of houses sold every day in posh areas like Lavington, Westlands, Karen etc. These are going for 50 million plus. Who is buying these ? They dont need a mortgage and pay cash.

Where do they get their money from ?Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe these are guys doing fx trading or online marketibg !!!!

These high class houses are not coming down soon.
kyt
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:17:13 PM

the only problem in kenya is the fact that the government does not control how money comes in kenya thus the money coming from all sources enters in kenya and is cleaned. thats the only problem otherwise, the prices would be reasonable. a house in nairobi is more expensive than a house in LA (USA)thats not economically sound.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
kyt
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:24:57 PM

pessa wrote:
i disagee..the world population is 7 billion now..in the year 2050 it will be 9 billion Of these around 2 billion will be african. Prices in the equator will rise as environments in the north and south of the equator get unstable..Making it harder to grow food there, higher population will mean more food to feed, less land to cultivate and high prices for food etc. Africa is the only virgin continent in the world. It should eventually move into the asian and South American way..its going to take a while before Real Estate crushes but if at all it will it will rebound. Land will be a more expensive commodoity than oil in the future and Sub Saharan Africa will reap alot.

i disagree my guy apparently you did not do good study in environmental science, if the tempratures rice, they will be warmer winters and hot summers, this will mean at the equator, equitorial forests will turn to savannah and the savannah go semi-deserts, deserts will be more pronounced. the sahara will grow southwards. leading to longer droughts and fewer rainfall saesons. this will hit africa bad. if its any consolation. malaria will sprad to the tempraterate regions (the mid latitudes)and hotter sun will lead to the whites having cancer and may be hit hard. but in the end an ice age occurs and we are back to zero again.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Genghis Khan
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:34:42 PM

Pastor M wrote:

Code:
[b]Conclusion[/b]

My math is giving me monthly payments of 27,310.02, pls check your figures...
Still i agree with you consider below:
Total Interest : 2,915,803.10
Total Payback : 4,915,803.10
who killed the Donde Bill??
"I'd rather be lucky than clever... every time!" - ME
"The problem is not what we don't know... it's what we know for sure that just ain't!" - MARK TWAIN
"Space we can recover... time never!" - NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
erifloss
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:41:02 PM

Cde Monomotapa wrote:
James Mwangi was on telly jana saying how he is thinking of how to replicate the Equity model in Kenya's mortgage market. His vision is to see a person earning 20K accessing a mortgage. My 1st thought was SUBPRIME HERE WE COME. When this banker gets his way then we will be headed str8 to bubble world. My take on our current position is that they'll be price stagnation as more low cost houses are supplied. The counties will also distribute demand & capital more evenly.

JM said what alot of people never want to speak loud about, 40% of the costs of putting up a house is taken up by land.
I do believe that the real estate bubble is going to burst in the next 5 years, my reasons being:
1. With the advent of counties the concentration of people around Nairobi will start to go down. If you carefully study the real estate market, you'll realise that a house worth 10M in Nairobi may be worth way less in Eldoret or Kisumu.
2. Building material imports from China, new additional cement and steel factories.
3. With the new constitution and specifically the act to do with land, land speculators are in for a rough ride ahead. You can only hold land for speculation if you can afford it.
4. True we've got 16,000 accounts. Most of these guys are taking mortgages not to live in the houses but to rent them out though due to the high installment repayment amounts (i know of a guy who took up 10 houses on an apartment block), they tend to rent them at extremely high prices depending on the neighbourhoods. This has gone so bad to the extend that places where houses were going for 20k a month houses are now 40k. This in turn making investment savvy people realise that instead of paying a monthly rent of 40k for a house he won't own why not pay for one he will own. Though this creates demand, part of the 16,000 accounts that own alot of houses start to default, banks start to reposses these houses which they'll have to sell to recover their money thus creating an almost matching or over supply of houses and basically with the middle class being small prices go down.
5. Equity Bank, Family Bank, Jamii Bora and any other bank that has realised that this market has got alot of tax savings and a prospective consumer base worth billions and yet untapped.

The bubble will burst and when it does guys will remain with highly depreciated assets.
'They say money cannot buy me happiness but when i compare when i had none and now, i'm happier' Kevin O'leary
KenyanLyrics
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:27:19 PM

Thank goodness the definitive statistics are out. A question for the more savvy members: given these figures, does this mean now is a good time to rent a house?
Wendz
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:34:44 PM

The bubble will burst... there is not doubt about that... The state of economy just needs to change a bit and you will see it coming... question is "when?" Show me any place in kenya where rent income can pay back the mortgage without the owner having to seat his pockets.... where you can recoup your capital investment in 10 years time through mortgage... unless you constructed it yourself (in cash)?. Doesnt make sense.... Infact, it is even cheaper to rent than to buy a house in nairobi.... why should i pay 60k per month for the next 15 years when i can pay 20k per month for the same house and invest the rest and come out better off than the person who owns the house?

The person who will be holding cash at the time, will have his world under this feet.... because he will be collecting at a throw away price.
Muthawamunene
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:50:01 PM

the main problem is that most africans think the ideal home should have a front lawn and a kitchen garden. Developers too fail to expand upwards by not installing elevators and safe buildings. otherwise, living on the tenth floor, basement parking, good view would do for me. This woul translate to better urban planning and better delivery of utilities such as power and cable internet.
Vj
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:55:32 PM

I got in to the property development businees when things were still calm (around 7 years ago). From the way i understand the market a housing crash in the next five years is unlikely (though we may get a slight downward correction), the only situation i fear is a political crisis which can erode confidence. My reasons are as follows:

1) Kenyan banks are quite strict when it comes to lending
2) Quite a number of buyers are paying full cash for their homes (around 40% of my customers
have not taken loans)
3) The middle class i.e proffesionals are increasing rapidly.
4) The culture of buying rather then renting is increasing.
5) There is alot of money coming from abroad

However i must say things are reaching an equilibrium. There was a time i sold entire projects on the blue prints, nowadays it is difficult to acheive that but 90% are sold before completion. The correction i anticipate is around 15-20%, i feel this is necessary to weed out some of the developers who have no clue about what they are doing and overally this will be better for the market.
Before you can be be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
For Sport
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:01:05 PM

Wendz wrote:
The bubble will burst... there is not doubt about that... The state of economy just needs to change a bit and you will see it coming... question is "when?" Show me any place in kenya where rent income can pay back the mortgage without the owner having to seat his pockets.... where you can recoup your capital investment in 10 years time through mortgage... unless you constructed it yourself (in cash)?. Doesnt make sense.... Infact, it is even cheaper to rent than to buy a house in nairobi.... why should i pay 60k per month for the next 15 years when i can pay 20k per month for the same house and invest the rest and come out better off than the person who owns the house?

The person who will be holding cash at the time, will have his world under this feet.... because he will be collecting at a throw away price.

I wonder:
1. whether this bubble we're talking about is something that will affect the entire country - or just the urban areas where land and property prices are crazy. Peri-urban areas? what percentage of this mortgage accounts relate to properties outside Nbi / Msa?
2. Whether I can afford to wait for the other side of the bubble. If 40% of the cost = the land, history tells me the direction of land prices in this country is up. I would wait for a cheaper house. Cheaper land - not so sure.
Cde Monomotapa
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:25:32 PM

KCB S&L MORTGAGES have launched their online portal on www.kcbpropertyguide.com - check it out. I've liked their Forex (USD) Mortgage product targeting the diaspora, 7% p.a