wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<12345>»
Tyre Center - The good, the bad and the ugly
jimmy1
#41 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2012 10:32:09 PM

@theking, check kirinyaga road if you are nairobi, there are many shops that sell tires, visit at least ten shops & compare prices though i've noted most shops run by somali businessmen offer slightly lower prices on similar brands
AlphDoti
#42 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:30:32 AM

@theking if you're in Nairobi, go to Kumasi rd joining Kirinyaga rd, where there's a public toilet.
Buy from a shop. Ignore those guys who sell at the road, outside shops. These are faulty tyres, manufacturers sell to them at cheaper price. Some bulge or wheel balancing is difficult Shame on you

As @jimmy1 say, the walalos sell at bit lower price, actually it because they sell at recommended retail prices, while the other guys want to get a little more above retail price
Impunity
#43 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:52:37 AM

McReggae wrote:
Impunity wrote:
TiggerTiggy wrote:
how much are 14" tyres going for? make, price and vendor details please. thanks

Minimum 4,000 per peice, tubeless.

.....2nd hand you mean?

Brand new China hand.(but that was in 2008)
smile
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

AlphDoti
#44 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:20:50 AM

Impunity wrote:
McReggae wrote:
Impunity wrote:
TiggerTiggy wrote:

.....2nd hand you mean?

Brand new China hand.(but that was in 2008)smile

The cheap ones, like kina GT, are not very reliable. They do not last that long, and they are weak (fewer layers).

Go for Yana or it's equivalent like Michelin.

I know 15" start from @ sh13,000
And 14" should be around @ sh8,000
Impunity
#45 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:55:38 AM

AlphDoti wrote:
Impunity wrote:
McReggae wrote:
Impunity wrote:
TiggerTiggy wrote:

.....2nd hand you mean?

The cheap ones, like kina GT, are not very reliable. They do not last that long, and they are weak (fewer layers).

If yana at Kes 8000 will last me 2 years and GT at Kes. 4000 will last me 1 year, why should I borrow say an extra 4K to buy Yana when I can buy GT cash at 4K?
Economics 101.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

AlphDoti
#46 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:41:29 PM

Impunity wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:
Impunity wrote:
McReggae wrote:
Impunity wrote:
TiggerTiggy wrote:

.....2nd hand you mean?

If yana at Kes 8000 will last me 2 years and GT at Kes. 4000 will last me 1 year, why should I borrow say an extra 4K to buy Yana when I can buy GT cash at 4K?
Economics 101.

You have a point. But my turning point when I decided I'm not going to buy cheap anymore was once when I hit a curb somewhere and one GT tyre on rear blew-up. The front Yana stayed put, not even a scratch. All were two weeks old. I was forced to go and buy another GT.

Imagine if I was in dangerous place? So personally, for safety and reliability, I go for Yana.
Sigiriri
#47 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:45:36 AM

I was looking for 15" about 2 weeks ago. I got many at about 7-8500 mainly chinese including sonah and good ride. In the end, I got some hancooks at 10K and the Astra was very very happy with the tyres - then some expart leased her for the next 8 months! So his wife is enjoying the rides to and from Muthaiga to the mini market and furthest to Village market - you think there will still be tread on the tyres when I finally get back the Astra?
jaggernaut
#48 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:43:51 PM

Also looking for 15" tyres. Have seen that Yana are going for 15k. What about GT R?
jaggernaut
#49 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:50:16 PM

Abunuasi wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:
Abunuasi wrote:
Fellow Wazuans.
Kindly advise from experience which is better, Apollo or Kumho for T.Fielder 15'.
Alternatively recommend alternatives

Size 15' for Fielder?? Are you sure boss???How do you use the fielder? on corrugation, off road on murram or on town roads?

@Rahatupu.
Was advised can use size 15' instead of 14' since its quite low.
Use it mostly within town. Murram road may be once in three months.

My friend's Fielder has 15" tyres and they are ok. He was advised to switch from 14" to 15" instead of putting spacers. I understand insurance guys can give you problems if you have spacers and anything happens to your car since they argue that spacers are accessories that interfere with the cars handling.
Tebes
#50 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:16:32 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
Also looking for 15" tyres. Have seen that Yana are going for 15k. What about GT R?

15" GT Radial - Indonesia 8,500
China 7500

average, +/- kshs 300.00
Happy hunting
"Never regret, if its good, its wonderful. If its bad, its experience."
premio
#51 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:11:49 PM

Yana is a useless tyre since Bridgestone of japan exited the company my uncle has a b14 with firestone firehawk 810 fitted in 2008 and still good that was the last they made good. The best tyre around is Michelin but ists expensive.GT is waste of cash indonesia or china. India Apollo Accellure is offers the best value for 195/60/15 and reatails for 8500 in kirinyaga rd and 11000 in upmarket shops and will outlasts Yana anyday yana will bloat very easily. Pirelli,Goodyear are a bit more expensive but still good.
keraka
#52 Posted : Friday, October 05, 2012 9:23:02 AM

premio wrote:
Yana is a useless tyre since Bridgestone of japan exited the company my uncle has a b14 with firestone firehawk 810 fitted in 2008 and still good that was the last they made good. The best tyre around is Michelin but ists expensive.GT is waste of cash indonesia or china. India Apollo Accellure is offers the best value for 195/60/15 and reatails for 8500 in kirinyaga rd and 11000 in upmarket shops and will outlasts Yana anyday yana will bloat very easily. Pirelli,Goodyear are a bit more expensive but still good.

Applause Applause Applause Applause
Thanks @ premio.Needed tyres for my premio asap.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jaggernaut
#53 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:59:25 PM

premio wrote:

I ended up buying R15 Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx tyres @8,300. Apparently they were rated as the best performing summer tyres in Europe in 2012.

RINK

Quote:

The Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx has been named best performing summer tyre on wet surfaces in Europe's leading summer tyre test in the 165/70 R 14 T size. The German ADAC, The Swiss Touring Club Schweiz and the Austrian ÖAMTC, three authoritative institutions in their own countries and internationally, carry out this prestigious summer tyre test every year.

In addition to the Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx, 14 other tyres from various brands were tested. After assessing all aspects, the Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx achieved the highest marks on wet surfaces. As a result, the Apollo summer tyre was given the 'Gut' (good) accreditation by ADAC and the 'Sehr Emphelenswert' (highly recommended) accreditation by The Swiss Touring Club Schweiz and the Austrian ÖAMTC along with four other tyres.

The conclusion was that the Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx achieved very solid results in all the tests, as well as stunning marks on wet surfaces. The tyre also scored well on all other safety aspects, making it a highly reliable and safe choice. Due to its good results in all aspects, ADAC described it as a very well-balanced tyre.

jaggernaut
#54 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:30:53 PM

Odec wrote:
Any reviews on Linglong tyres just bought a set they have deep threads am told they don`t slip while hard breaking,last long"Live Long" cheaper than GT`S ........

Mixed reviews for Linglong as you can see HERE and HERE.
Tebes
#55 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:02:26 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
premio wrote:

I ended up buying R15 Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx tyres @8,300. Apparently they were rated as the best performing summer tyres in Europe in 2012.

RINK

Quote:

WHICH SHOP AND WHERE?d'oh!
"Never regret, if its good, its wonderful. If its bad, its experience."
jaggernaut
#56 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:24:01 PM

Tebes wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
premio wrote:

RINK

Quote:

WHICH SHOP AND WHERE?d'oh!

Huko kirinyaga rd. Many tyre shops have them. Some were quoting 10k but bought from a waria shop at 8.3k. Had infact gone looking for Apollo acelere as recommended by @permio but found that the shops have the amazer which I bought after extensive googling. And yes, I confirmed they are not APORRO. Kingsway tyres were selling them at 11k.
pleasecallme
#57 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 9:45:02 AM

jaggernaut wrote:
Odec wrote:
Any reviews on Linglong tyres just bought a set they have deep threads am told they don`t slip while hard breaking,last long"Live Long" cheaper than GT`S ........

mmh...pretty strong reviews
The Ling Longs in our test scored less than half the performance-based points than even the next-best, eighth-place tire. That’s how far they are off the pace.”

....Is a Ling Long tire as good as a Michelin?” asked Smith. “No. If you want a Michelin, buy a Michelin,” he said. “It depends on the consumer and what they are willing to pay.”
You kill bird...bird dead snake come.
kollabo
#58 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 11:12:59 AM

gathinga wrote:
Guys am using Ling Long. When I first tried them, it was a leap of faith. i have no regrets. the price is friendly and they are imported by Sameer. Find them at Total South C

I also got Linglong 14/195 for Toyota Hilux pickup about 18 months ago. Some of the tyres still have the little hairs on the threads.
jaggernaut
#59 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 1:19:25 PM

pleasecallme wrote:
jaggernaut wrote:
Odec wrote:

mmh...pretty strong reviews
The Ling Longs in our test scored less than half the performance-based points than even the next-best, eighth-place tire. That’s how far they are off the pace.”

....Is a Ling Long tire as good as a Michelin?” asked Smith. “No. If you want a Michelin, buy a Michelin,” he said. “It depends on the consumer and what they are willing to pay.”

The same article says that linglong and all the tires tested meet the stringent quality and safety standards for import into the US market. So it must be a good tyre to be allowed into the US.
Layman
#60 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:34:25 AM

What about Vectra tyres, any experience with their use. I am made to understand that they are made in India.