wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<1234>»
Tyre Center - The good, the bad and the ugly
jimmy1
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:46:35 PM

@propertyzote, i'll contact them tomorrow,thanks. @wazuans, more locations in msa please
sihingwa
#22 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:41:54 AM

propertyzote wrote:
You may want to check Kingsway Tyres.... What i bought is michellin 185/70/R'14 at 12K normal price 18,444....

A discount > 30% ? Means we were robbed thoroughly at 18K price and still being conned at 12K!
Nobby
#23 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 1:00:10 PM

sihingwa wrote:
propertyzote wrote:
You may want to check Kingsway Tyres.... What i bought is michellin 185/70/R'14 at 12K normal price 18,444....

A discount > 30% ? Means we were robbed thoroughly at 18K price and still being conned at 12K!

Whats the current price for GT 185/65/15?
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
poundfoolish
#24 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2012 1:00:36 PM

Discounts my foot

Over the Holidays a certain dealer was giving 30% discount on shock absobers.. so knowing the 'usual figure' in my head, i went to inquire hoping to land a christmass deal..
They were very friendly and warm.. as i stated my car model and shocks i needed, the guy was enthusiastically banging the calculator..
23 thousand na hundreds juu.. that was the discoount?
That figure was only a thousand bob shy of the normal cost at Rob's Magic during the 'normal year'

Discount my foot..!!!!!
maybe its just me
Impunity
#25 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2012 9:53:39 PM

poundfoolish wrote:
Discounts my foot

Over the Holidays a certain dealer was giving 30% discount on shock absobers.. so knowing the 'usual figure' in my head, i went to inquire hoping to land a christmass deal..
They were very friendly and warm.. as i stated my car model and shocks i needed, the guy was enthusiastically banging the calculator..
23 thousand na hundreds juu.. that was the discoount?
That figure was only a thousand bob shy of the normal cost at Rob's Magic during the 'normal year'

Discount my foot..!!!!!
maybe its just me

Nobody is in this business to meke losses!
So thos 30% discounts are pure con games to attract the attention of the poor fellows like some of us here!
Not me though.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

TiggerTiggy
#26 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:15:20 PM

how much are 14" tyres going for? make, price and vendor details please. thanks
Impunity
#27 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 6:36:05 AM

TiggerTiggy wrote:

Minimum 4,000 per peice, tubeless.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

McReggae
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:56:25 AM

Impunity wrote:
TiggerTiggy wrote:

Minimum 4,000 per peice, tubeless.

.....2nd hand you mean?
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Spend.thrift
#29 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2012 11:39:47 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
Which are the best tyres - value for money - for saloon cars?

We were having a discussion with my friends and most of them were insisting that GT tyres [From Indonesia - NOT China] are as good as Yana tyres - for half the price! How true is this? Anyone who has used both?

How does Yana compare to other foreign made tyres like Michellin, Goodyear etc. I have always held the opinion they are the same but my friends believe that one is better off with Yana on Kenyan roads.

@Maichblack. There's avery huge variation in Kenyan roads. We have the smooth roads in Nairobi and between most urban centres, ribbed (unfinished) surfaces like Mbagathi Way, sandy soils like Lodwar - Kainuk or /Garissa- Fafi/Moyale roads and rocky roads like you will find in places like Homabay County.

The kind of road you drive on most of the time should determine the best tires. If you're in NBI most of the time, Apollo/ GT radial/Sonar Bridgestone/Pirellli/Michelin will do- These kind have toung road contact surface but weaker walls.

However if your usage involves a great deal of movement in murram roads with significantly large loose stone, the likes of YANA are the best from my experience because they have both tougher treads and strong wall. If you use Pirelli or Michelin, you are likely to have the sidewalls having conspicous swellings/ boils which are actually faultlines and have resulted into tyre bursts (some of which can be fatal).

If you drive in hot sandy conditions like Moyale, Turkana, the best tyre if BF Goodrich but these are not for small passenger cars (which again I wouldnt expect a sane person to be using say for regular movement between Kitale and Lodwar or Loima.) On a typical hot day in places like this , a brand new set of Pirellis or Michellins is unlikely to complete the journey from Lodwar to Kitale) they will just "bambuka". To find out how real this is , you need to count the number of abandoned tyres on this route.

The other thing that matters if weight of car. The heavire your car, the more the need for tougher tyres if you want them to last long enough for you to derive the utility.

Then come right tyre pressure. All the best
Odec
#30 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2012 1:24:01 PM

Any reviews on Linglong tyres just bought a set they have deep threads am told they don`t slip while hard breaking,last long"Live Long" cheaper than GT`S ........
LiVE sIMpLE thiNk BiG
Abunuasi
#31 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 3:37:23 PM

Fellow Wazuans.
Kindly advise from experience which is better, Apollo or Kumho for T.Fielder 15'.
Alternatively recommend alternatives
Rahatupu
#32 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 5:07:47 PM

Abunuasi wrote:
Fellow Wazuans.
Kindly advise from experience which is better, Apollo or Kumho for T.Fielder 15'.

Size 15' for Fielder?? Are you sure boss???How do you use the fielder? on corrugation, off road on murram or on town roads?
Abunuasi
#33 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:08:34 AM

Rahatupu wrote:
Abunuasi wrote:
Fellow Wazuans.

Size 15' for Fielder?? Are you sure boss???How do you use the fielder? on corrugation, off road on murram or on town roads?

@Rahatupu.
Was advised can use size 15' instead of 14' since its quite low.
Use it mostly within town. Murram road may be once in three months.
tuvok
#34 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:59:13 AM

@ Abunuasi - Did you have a look at the sticker on the inside of your driver door frame? It recommends the tyre sizes to be used. I would not advice changing the diameter of the tyre by more than 3%. Stability, handling issues etc. I'm pretty sure that if you have a 15" size available for your car, it would be low profile.

A possibility is that your car has worn out springs + shocks. Does it 'bounce' over bumps etc ?
Abunuasi
#35 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:20:40 AM

tuvok wrote:
@ Abunuasi - Did you have a look at the sticker on the inside of your driver door frame? It recommends the tyre sizes to be used. I would not advice changing the diameter of the tyre by more than 3%. Stability, handling issues etc. I'm pretty sure that if you have a 15" size available for your car, it would be low profile.

A possibility is that your car has worn out springs + shocks. Does it 'bounce' over bumps etc ?

Thanks Tuvok.
I had the springs and shocks checked and the mech said were all ok. The challenge is that i oftenly use it to carry some goods and this makes it quite low especially when crossing bumbs.
I must confess that severally av debated on the issue of stability but got some assurances that it woudnt make a much difference.
gathinga
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:49:50 AM

Guys am using Ling Long. When I first tried them, it was a leap of faith. i have no regrets. the price is friendly and they are imported by Sameer. Find them at Total South C
luttz
#37 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:50:40 AM

Guys! I think we as human beings cannot be experts in all matters. The key generic considerations when buying tyres are:

Temperature: Tyres are manufactured for specific operating temperatures which should be clearly marked on the tyre. Temperatures are rated as follows:
A - Hot area
B – Normal weather (most of Kenya covered under this rating except North Eastern)
C – Cold (Typical Scandinavian countries)

Traction: This is what we often refer to good braking capability especially on wet toads/surface. Classified as follows:
“AA” – Best traction rating
“A” – Next best rating – good traction, most good quality tyres are in this category
“B” – Fairly good traction
“C” – Poor traction

Tread wear: This denotes how fast a tyre tread will wear out. When you talk of cheap tyre prices, always look out for this rating when you think you are getting a very tempting price. A tyre rated as 400 is better in terms of tread wear and should last longer than a tyre rated as 150

Speed and Load rating: most tyres even for salon cars are rated for both speed and load. For instance a tyre rated as 91H can sustain upto 600kgs of weight/load and a speed of upto 210KPH

Date of Manufacture: Do you know that some companies recommend that tyres should not be used after 4 years (as in they expire after 4 years). Check the date of manufacture whenever there is an offer lest you end up buying a tyre that was manufactured in 2105 which means week 21 of the year 2005.

You better be safe and look out for basics
"You've never lived until you've almost died; for those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know."
Njung'e
#38 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:21:36 PM

luttz wrote:
Guys!
You better be safe and look out for basics

Terrific stuffApplause ....Lakini tafadhali hii biashara ya tairi wachia Wiperssmile
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
mawinder
#39 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:11:53 PM

Sigiriri wrote:
The African Salihiya company - africansalihiya.com - there are phone numbers there and other contact details. They have contacts for UK also, buy online, state their address in London as ur delivery address, and they will receive and forward to you - unachukua Eastleigh in 3 days to a week max. They charge a fixed fee plus cost per Kilo so ur luggage needs to be economically feasible - usually, I accumulate orders or team up with someone else analeta something then it makes sense.

If I am not wrong the above company featured on jicho pevu some time ago on some activities at the port.
theking
#40 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:47:18 PM

i need 185/70R14s any1 who has a contact wea i can get a gd deal?