wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages123>»
Tyre Center - The good, the bad and the ugly
MaichBlack
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:53:18 PM

Which are the best tyres - value for money - for saloon cars?

We were having a discussion with my friends and most of them were insisting that GT tyres [From Indonesia - NOT China] are as good as Yana tyres - for half the price! How true is this? Anyone who has used both?

How does Yana compare to other foreign made tyres like Michellin, Goodyear etc. I have always held the opinion they are the same but my friends believe that one is better off with Yana on Kenyan roads.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Njung'e
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:56:13 PM

@Maich,
I have never used GT so i wouldn't comment on that.Yana is good and i would put it ahead of Dunlop and Yokohama....maybe in the same league with Kumho....Michellin,Goodyear and Pirelli are at the top of the class (Pirelli Chrono is my favourite).
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
simonkabz
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:26:40 PM

Indonesian GT. Me uses, far cheaper than Yana.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
MaichBlack
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:40:38 PM

simonkabz wrote:
Indonesian GT. Me uses, far cheaper than Yana.

How does it compare to Yana? You can use any comparison that works for you. For example:

On Yana, I do x kilometres (or x years) and on Indonesian GT I do y kilometres (or y years) - other factors held (relatively) constant.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Sigiriri
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 5:55:04 PM

I work for a company with a huge fleet - from here I have learnt that when it comes to being hardy and durable, india tyres are king. we get over 30K kms on the Apollo (india) while Yana gives 20K or less. Mind you, these are 4wds with high usage offroad. Yana are great on road, less noisy, vibration free too.

Yana Eagle is great for salons. I hear mileage is also very good. But I have always used bridgestone tyres. Bridgestone and firestone were related somehow, so am considering trying Eagles one of these days (my current tyres are being replaced with Bridgestones, so maybe in another 3-4years).

Tyres are more than just mileage - safety, especially breaking safety is a key consideration. I happen to have huge respect for UK standards, so I get the bridgestones from UK - via waria - and they fika here at less than what most tyre shops sell their tyres for.

Be frugal when you want to and when you can, but don't be frugal with reality. Reality - good tyres will cost you, but they will also last a lot longer - and back up your driving skills when you need the support the most - hard braking/swerving etc...which might mean a difference between u in a ditch and u walking away with ur body and car intact.
Papa Investor
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:02:22 PM

Sigiriri wrote:
I work for a company with a huge fleet - from here I have learnt that when it comes to being hardy and durable, india tyres are king. we get over 30K kms on the Apollo (india) while Yana gives 20K or less. Mind you, these are 4wds with high usage offroad. Yana are great on road, less noisy, vibration free too.

Yana Eagle is great for salons. I hear mileage is also very good. But I have always used bridgestone tyres. Bridgestone and firestone were related somehow, so am considering trying Eagles one of these days (my current tyres are being replaced with Bridgestones, so maybe in another 3-4years).

Tyres are more than just mileage - safety, especially breaking safety is a key consideration. I happen to have huge respect for UK standards, so I get the bridgestones from UK - via waria - and they fika here at less than what most tyre shops sell their tyres for.

Be frugal when you want to and when you can, but don't be frugal with reality. Reality - good tyres will cost you, but they will also last a lot longer - and back up your driving skills when you need the support the most - hard braking/swerving etc...which might mean a difference between u in a ditch and u walking away with ur body and car intact.

Mind sharing your walalo contact details for the next time we need tyres or he only does bulk sales?
Sigiriri
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:53:37 AM

The African Salihiya company - africansalihiya.com - there are phone numbers there and other contact details. They have contacts for UK also, buy online, state their address in London as ur delivery address, and they will receive and forward to you - unachukua Eastleigh in 3 days to a week max. They charge a fixed fee plus cost per Kilo so ur luggage needs to be economically feasible - usually, I accumulate orders or team up with someone else analeta something then it makes sense.
wakagori
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:43:52 AM

I have GT on my premio and i have no regrets at all - the handling is superb. Mitchelin are good but pricey. There is a new brand called sonar and some tyre dude tells me they are fairly good for urban & peri urban driving. I have no info on Yana
Chaka
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 11:01:21 AM

@Sigiriri,
Does waria pay taxes on behalf and then refunded after receiving the merchadise?
Sigiriri
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 11:12:03 AM

With Waria, they give u a flat rate - they usually account for duty therein....I honestly dont know how they they do this. I just do the buying, they gave me a figure - which will usually be reasonable compared to using other means - and we do business.
Tommy
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 3:58:17 PM

Chaka wrote:
@Sigiriri,
Does waria pay taxes on behalf and then refunded after receiving the merchadise?

ati waria pay taxes Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly these are the lords of tax evasion and corruption. currently i am using goldenbridge and they feel good on the road.
Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It happens every day. ~Albert Camus, The Fall, 1956
coco
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:11:22 PM

And could someone kindly give a breakdown of costs. I am planning to get new tyres over the weekend and the prices will go along way in helpng me.
Tommy
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:39:49 PM

@coco yana goes for 8k-8.3k depending,gt china 4.3k,gt indonesia 4.5k, bridgestone (indonesia:) 4.5k. Cant rem the rest lakini chaguo ni lako.
Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It happens every day. ~Albert Camus, The Fall, 1956
coco
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:56:13 AM

@Tommy, thanks boss. I will go for gt. I am told i can get them for 3.5-3.8k
Djinn
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:31:48 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Which are the best tyres - value for money - for saloon cars?

We were having a discussion with my friends and most of them were insisting that GT tyres [From Indonesia - NOT China] are as good as Yana tyres - for half the price! How true is this? Anyone who has used both?

How does Yana compare to other foreign made tyres like Michellin, Goodyear etc. I have always held the opinion they are the same but my friends believe that one is better off with Yana on Kenyan roads.

@MaichBlack - I use GoodYear - made in RSA - I recall the cost (for a set of 14 x 195 x 70) was much much lower than Yana, Pirelli, etc. This was in Nov/Dec 2009 and I still have them and expect to change them around June (total abt 18-20 months). In that time I have made 4 return trips to Kampala with some sections of the roads not so good, one trip to Mombasa + several trips into central province and rift valley + daily running of abt 25-30km. In this time, not a single puncture or issue. When I replace in June it will be more routine and not that they will have as much tread as Zuma's scalp...

Before Good Year I had Kumho and can't say much abt that since I had to replace after abt 6 months owing to worn ball joints which made them wear out on the edges - mscheeew!

BTW, what do you call a tyre made out of 365 condoms? A good year... :o)

RVP
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:36:19 PM

Goodyear all the way.
Tommy
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:48:11 PM

coco wrote:
@Tommy, thanks boss. I will go for gt. I am told i can get them for 3.5-3.8k

@Coco i am not sure that u will get them at that price, i was made to understand that they have increased on the prices. If u get them at that price, let me know and direct others to the shop. All the best
Tebes
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:02:24 AM

Whats the cost of GT Indonesia 15' tyres? 195*65*15 that is. Best deal in town?
"Never regret, if its good, its wonderful. If its bad, its experience."
jimmy1
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:47:01 PM

dear wazuans, please give directions on where i can buy apollo tyres at a friendly price in mombasa
propertyzote
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:41:33 PM

You may want to check Kingsway Tyres. I was at the westlands branch and am sorry to say you just missed on their recent December xmass offer. Apollo was at 9500.... the usual price is at somewhat 13k. What i bought is michellin 185/70/R'14 at 12K normal price 18,444. Confirm with the Westie Branch if the mombasa branch is stocked with apollo. -0203745546,0733699513.
www.propertyzote.com the ultimate ‘one stop online shop’ of choice connecting more people with more properties at the click of a button